Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Lurker here... Like the others of my lurker kin, I have chosen to remain mostly silent for a couple of reasons....

1. Anything worth discussing at this point has been and a markwell exists....

2. Have no desire to enter into the 'political arena' that seems to rear its ugly

head regularly

On the other hand, I've learned tremendous amounts of geo-related info by reading the forums and the cache logs and will continue to do so.... in lurker mode...

;):huh:

I've watched the forums for some time now but never felt the need to ask any questions. I have found answers to all my questions by reading the posts of others. My PDA and PC is packed with programs that were suggested in the forums. I also enjoy reading the opines of others, even when I don't agree. I do get turned off when the flaming starts and move on to something more positive.

Technogadgets + The Great Outdoors = Fun (Geocaching) :huh:

We (M & myself) have been Geocaching since July 2003 and are extremely addicted to the hobby. I browse the forums a couple a times a week, at first to learn more about Geocaching, lately just to see if anything new is happening etc.

I have been tempted to post in the past but I really don't want to deal with being flamed. Many times in these forums I have seen someone ask a simple question and receive a sarcastic or arrogant reply in return. I really don't need to deal with that to be honest with you - this is supposed to be a fun activity.

For now I will continue to lurk, gather information from the forums anonymously, and pursue my crazed obsession for finding Tupperware in the woods! :D

Well that's a lousy attitude! Why don't you stay in your little whole out on lawngiland! :lol: Just kidding M what's up? A fellow Long Islander! I'm sorry to hear your hesitant to post in the forums. It's really a shame these forums make you feel that way. You're 100% right it's supposed to be fun and these forums tend go get away from that concept. Our regional forum is much more tame, you should also checkout ClayJar's Chatroom. It's much more laid back there and more fun. I was hesitant to post at first also, but once I did it got kind of addicting too.

See ya on the trails!

-Joe

JMB

Resent as in to send again, I sent you an e-mail to your email account listed on Geocaching.com yesterday. I then re-sent it to you today to that same e-mail account. I re-sent (resent) not resent as in "To feel indignantly aggrieved at." Please excuse my lack of hyphen in the typo. I understand how this would cause confusion.

pearls2003121016513.gif

Saw this in the comics today...apparently it happens even to the best of us. :lol:

Bret

I too am a lurker. I also come to the forum almost daily.

I have been a lurker in most forums that I frequent. The reason is basically the same as most of the other lurkers. I do not feel like getting involved with the "politics." I will post if I have anything valuable to say that hasn't been covered though.

Now back to lurking!

Lurking, learning, and being entertained.

I visit the forums about 5 days per week to read. I feel like I know some of the non-lurkers from reading so many of their posts( criminal, snoogans, briansnat, J5, robert m, GPSSax, septic tank come to mind) - sorry if i misspelled your name, didn't list you or abreviated.

I would like to see an Off Topic forum.

and now back to lurking...

:lol: I visit the forums infequently, and reply or post even more infrequently. I lurk sometimes and agree that many who post seem to hide behind the annominity of their persona's. Whats needed is for the moderators to blacklist the ones that get out of hand. If you flame to much or to harsh then you should be gone from the site, no just the forums. Make the penalty so sever that one will suffer the consequences if the policy is broken. The formus should be a place that all can enjoy without fear. Edited by epeefencer

2 reasons I don't post

1 everything I have thought to post has been said already

2 I'm a really crapy speller and I don't want to look like a idiot .

but i read and learn and some times get a smile

those of you that can tell a good story go for it I love to read them

for those of you that just want to bi#** well you can do that too

All I can say is Good luck Good hunting and have Fun

because that is what geocaching is all about

Lyon

I'm a semi-lurker and usually pop up in the UK forum now and again. The main reason why I keep out of the ol' flamer threads is I've been part of them in the past on forums with completely unrelated topics and found them to be a complete waste of time and energy.

Unlike when you speak to a person "in real life" - the internet allows people to think carefully about their replies which always makes the various arguments ending up much more personal and bitter. I've had very bad experiences in the past and I often end up hitting the back button when it comes to posting in a big argument thread.

My advice to everyone, especially in Geocaching, is think carefully before posting anything (although from what I've seen, posters here have a high "tolerance" level - i.e. before flaming begins). Most importantly, if you are one of the many people who may think about publically quitting Geocaching due to a flamer thread, again think long and hard about it. Instead of acting like a martyr, don't visit the boards for a week and cool off.

Thats it...! :D

MarcB

HI! :D New to Geocaching. Have been lurking for about a week before I posted. I did notice some ugliness, as is common on boards, but am hoping to find mostly decent people sharing informaion.

Brand new to geocaching. Bought my hubby a GPS for Christmas, and am researching for our first cache on Christmas day. Will be taking our boys, ages 8, 7 &4.

Jennifer

I'm really new to the site, having joined the first part of November '03. I didn't find the forums till around Thanksgiving, and have been quietly lurking since then. I have posted a couple of times, but that was just to keep GPSaxophone and Criminal in line. They are often wrong in everything they say, and I have to occasionally step in to tell them why they are wrong and what they should say to be right. So far it's working, I've gotten their personal warn meters back down to a more reasonable 375%. :D

Been offline a while. Mosquitos too big and hairy in the spring and summer so I avoid Geocaching. Been lurking and not posting. I like the new format and I need to restore my I-12 Cache.

Since I tend to put in my two cents even when it isn't wanted I'll just continue to lurk about.

Already today I have made two posts.... must resist.... :D:D

I'm Ferreteer. I'm new. I haven't found any caches yet and I don't have a gps yet. I plan on getting equipped after Xmas. I'm a mother of 2 small kids and married to a diesel mechanic. I have 4 ferrets and my husband has a cat. We used to go canoeing and when the kids grow we will again. They are getting big enough for camping this summer and geocaching will be fun. There are also caches in parks by our house that we can go to for the afternoon.

I am also a Pocket PC poweruser always looking for new uses and I love gadgets and the outdoors and what a perfect combination! This is something I can do while the kids are in school and Dad is at work! Weeee! :D

Well, I guess I'm a Lurker as well. I live in PA and have been caching for a little over a year. I visit the forums just about every day and check out what people are talking about. Sometimes there are interesting topics, other times there a lot of fluff. I don't know how much the forums really have to do with caching, but I sometimes get ideas for caches here. If I have something to say, I'll let you know... :lol:

Hello.. I'm new around here.. I do a lot more reading than posting.. but I'm learning the more I read.. I'm new to Geocaching and have my first few caches.. and I'm hooked.. :mad:

My Name is Dale... and I live in Lincoln Ne. and I was very suprised to see how many caches there are in this area.. WOW.. it's great..

Hi,

I used to enjoy the 'General' forum a great deal when I first got into geocaching, but after a few months, my level of interest in this part of the site just dropped. Now, I no longer post there and I rarely 'lurk'. The reason for this is pretty simple: too much noise, not enough signal (and I really don't care for the flame wars).

Instead, I shifted my focus to the "GPS and Software" forum where the content tends to stay on topic and isn't pointless.

Regards,

Fabien.

I'm new to caching too. I'm also new too internet discussion boards. I read alot of posts, and kept seeing "TPBM" in them. I made the mistake of asking what it meant.

Between that, alot of the things I have read here, and a rather hostile email I received from another local cacher, my gps is just to get me back to the boat ramp when it's foggy these days.

I frequent other message boards now and then, and none of them come close to the hate and discontent of this one.

But, geocaching is interesting, so I stop in now and again to weed through the spite and venom to learn.

-Spike

I find this geocaching forum addicting. Most of my time is spent lurking. Upon occasion, I'll drink a few too many brewski and post some absolute nonsense. Then, the next day when I actually read what I posted, I'm in shock and quickly go into damage control mode. ;):mad:

Please get drunk more! I like your "damage"! :o

I usually hit the forums about 2 to 3 times a week. I've noticed that over the last week or so it's really gotten ugly in here. Some of the more potent exchanges in the old forums were alot of fun to follow. Nowadays it seems to be just plain mean. Now I shall go back to lurking.

:mad: I am a lurker at times when I read these forums I learn a lot other times it is disappointing. I enjoy geocaching so I tend to ignore the rude and obnoxious.

I'm a lurker, therefore I lurk. Just recently started reading in the forums, have learned alot and laughed alot. :o Some very witty people on here. Don't care too much for the ugliness though, especially the posts about virtuals ;) but it's like that in most other forums. Just started caching in September this year with my wife of 23 yrs. and my 5 yr. old son. Found out about geocaching from a link a poster made on a metal detecting forum. Haven't been metal detecting since :mad:

James

The King Kachers

Just for the record....I like virtuals :o

I'm new to caching too. I'm also new too internet discussion boards. I read alot of posts, and kept seeing "TPBM" in them. I made the mistake of asking what it meant.

Between that, alot of the things I have read here, and a rather hostile email I received from another local cacher, my gps is just to get me back to the boat ramp when it's foggy these days.

I frequent other message boards now and then, and none of them come close to the hate and discontent of this one.

But, geocaching is interesting, so I stop in now and again to weed through the spite and venom to learn.

-Spike

Hey don't give this sport up. Sure some are mean But mostly to others that are mean. Some just like to verbally joust with each other.the mods keep it toned down some.Stick around and find out who is nice and who is helpfull and ignore the rest! most of all

HAVE FUN!

Hi, My name is Dos Leos. I am a lurker. (sounds like a support group, doesn't it?) :D

I've been caching since early spring. I get to the forums at least once a week. Although I've never posted they have been very helpful. I used them to pick my GPSr and to learn the proper caching manners.

Up until now I've not had a reason to post I am considering the paperless option so I do intend to use the collective wisdom to choose my PDA.

Just wanted to introduce my self. ( I don't think I want to be labeled as a "lurker", It just sounds bad) :D

Spike, out of curiosity I went to that thread to see what it was tha turned you off. I didn't see any ugliness, just a few light hearted responses to your post. OK, I admit that they could have been more helpful, but being playful isn't that bad a thing.

Don't let that and a negative comment from a lone geocacher turn you off. It's a fun sport.

And if you think this place has a lot of hate and discontent, you have't been around much. Stop by the usenet group REC.SKIING.ALPINE (A Google search of "groups" will get you there) and REC.BACKCOUNTRY you'll see how bad, bad can be. Heck, people from RSA actually lost jobs, wound up in court, had tires slashed and received death threats. Actually, everybody here should take a look at RSA and thank goodness that everyone here is so level headed and polite.

Edited by briansnat

I occasionally lurk, I occasionally cache. I mainly work & look after my family & don't have the time for posting or caching as much as when I was a stay-at-home mom. I don't even use this username to log caches, so my post count will undoubtedly be higher than my find count. I don't think my husband liked Mother Gootz too much, so our username was changed to Team Gootz. Hopefully, we'll be able to cache a bit during the holiday break. Our company closes Dec 25-Jan 5 (this year).

Guess you could call me a lurker. I used to only check on the forums about once or twice a month. However, I am currently free during the week (read that as unemployed) so I have been spending more time perusing them. As others have said, by the time I read the forums, responses have already been given. I am hoping for a PDA for Christmas so I have been following some of the more recent threads about using them.

Hello to the community. My first post! Hourra! I got myself a GPSr for Xmas but I can't use it before the 25th... (bad luck, I guess) So meanwhile, I lurk to learn. I enjoy the readings but I'd rather be outside even if I'll need to pack a shovel and snowshoes to go GCing! Wishing all Happy Holidays.

----------------------------

First out on Christmas day!

Last summer I read daily and occationally posted. After awhile I became tired of arrogant posters and stupid arguments. I actually took some remarks personally and began loosing interest. This even affected my general outlook of caching. I began caching less and eventually took a month or so off.

I'm back now with a new and improved "forum skin"! I've realized that you'll get jerks anywhere you go. The forums and the "sport" are two totally different things, one is for fun and the other is for talking about it.

I really like the changes that have been made to the forums. I'll more than likely not be so much of a lurker from now on.

Thought I'd try this posting thing. I can't say I'm a lurker since this is the second time I've visited the forum. I'm new to caching just found out about it a few months ago. I haven't lurked around enough to see the negativity of other threads out there. I would just like to say that I love this new hobby. It's great to jump in my jeep, get it dirty, then take a nice hike through the woods. Wow, that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I was really nervous!! Bucktoothweezel

Thought I'd try this posting thing.  I can't say I'm a lurker since this is the second time I've visited the forum.  I'm new to caching just found out about it a few months ago.  I haven't lurked around enough to see the negativity of other threads out there.  I would just like to say that I love this new hobby.  It's great to jump in my jeep, get it dirty, then take a nice hike through the woods.  Wow, that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I was really nervous!!  Bucktoothweezel

You did great !!! Hope to see more of you in the forums. Bucktoothweezel, hehehe, great name.

Another lurker checking in here! Over the summer, I did a lot of lurking as we were just getting into geocaching. I didn't have much time to post because I was a moderator on some much more active discussion boards than these, and when I was on the internet, I was pretty busy over there. Some things blew up on those boards a few months ago though, I resigned, and quit reading any and all discussion boards for quite a while. Now that I've taken a breather from discussion boards, I'm ready to start lurking here again. ;) Maybe I'll even start posting from time to time. :P

I have seen a fair amount of nastiness here, but I do just as I do everywhere else and ignore it. Some people just aren't happy unless they're griping, whining, or complaining, and I've come to realize that there's not a thing I can do about that. You just have to take the good with the bad. :D

I was going to slash smurf-boy's tires last night, but he parked his tricycle in the garage. ;)

Careful...I lurk in this thread from time to time. :P

Well, I lurk in this thread and in your kitchen sink from time to time. :D

I'll leave the garbage disposal on...

Welcome, lurkers. Be not afraid of venturing out into the other threads. There is a wealth of knowledge just waiting for you to seek it out!