Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Greetings! My daughter and I recently began caching together. It's part of our homeschooling education and a great way to get outdoors to explore the world around us. We're from the Charleston, SC area. We are very new at this and have really enjoyed it. We just purchased our first cache kit and are still researching ideas for items to place in it and where to place it. We look forward to meeting new friends and learning a ton!

Hello! I started geocaching a few years back, but didn't play for long because I forgot about it. I played again and took a break, and repeated the same thing until I began regularly playing over a year ago. I'm unfortunately busy nowadays so finding caches is difficult for me, but I do try and get some every month. I find geocaching to be such a fun and amazing experience at times, for you can see so much and have many experiences that stay with you as you search.

Hi! I created an account over a year ago and enjoy reading on here quite a bit, but have never posted. Was introduced to geocaching several years ago by a friend and have now been going on my own. I don't get around to it a whole lot, but I really enjoy ones that are in nice parks to hike and I like going when I am camping. I have been geocaching with friends and even recently I got my sister and my nieces into it. I love to explore and I enjoy the fun places geocaching takes me. 

On 10/25/2018 at 9:36 AM, wiveleviw said:

Hi! My 4-yr old and I stumbled upon a geocache, and now he's crazy about it! I'm trying to read all the forums, soak  up the knowledge! Can I get a free trial? 

Welcome!!

Sure, but the procedure changed.

Premium membership trials are now available (for users who have not previously had Premium) by contacting Geocaching HQ via the Help Center.

On 9/29/2018 at 9:51 AM, squishylishy said:

It's okay, we're going to head out soon to look for a few that I'm able to see with the basic account. :)

Just an FYI, if you have a  Google Play card, you can pay $5.99 for one month to try it out, but believe me, it's worth the years subscription. 

And...I am also fairly new, especially to forums. I love hiding almost as much as I love finding. 

On 1/18/2019 at 10:35 AM, balkanhiker said:

Ahh that's true!
Wear a reflective vest and bring my camera tripod so I can look like a land surveyor!

There have been times that I've been searching for a cache on the side of a quiet road.  If a car drives by, then I have held up my GPSr as though it was a camera and I'm taking a picture of the scenery.  Drivers seem to not pay any attention, whereas if I was just standing around then they might slow down thinking that I'm having some car trouble or that I'm a suspicious character.

You can also do a search for "stealth" tips in the Forum Search if you want to read further about different cachers' techniques.

Hello there, i have signed in  long time ago, but never used the service as at this period, my phone was not good enough to run the app etc... So i've never came back here... Untill last week, when i was on hollidays near Barcelona, with my wife and a friend. That friend talks me about treasure hunts and geocaching and bring my wife and me for some hunts near the beach. We found this entertaining, and i decided to instal the app. When trying to sign in, it tell me my email was already used, so i used the password recovery option, and boom, logged in again, and start logging some caches in Spain. Back in France with my wife, we tried to logged some more caches, and see that a lot are greyed out, and my friend tell me there are some more i can't see near my house cause i'm not a premium member. I will eventually upgrade in the near future, but i have to test it more before upgrading. I've seen in the begining section a post where you can ask for a trial period, but it was closed and we are asked to check the FAQ to find it. I've gone there and it was a DNF for me lol^^ Maybe i will found it later, or try to meet some premium members near me that can "showcase" me the premium features.

I will try to log more caches in the next weeks as it seems fun do to, and let us discover/ rediscover some places around our house.

Have a nice day!

59 minutes ago, Ezekiel1337 said:

I've seen in the begining section a post where you can ask for a trial period, but it was closed ...

Be very welcome!

In the meanwhile, the procedure changed.
Premium membership trials are now available (for users who have not previously had Premium) by contacting Geocaching HQ via the Help Center.

On 3/3/2019 at 10:54 AM, Biontik said:

Hello. I’m interested in free 7 days trial. If someone can help would apriciate a lot. PS. We are 3 crazy persons who found free caches and want to try what is premium one. 

Hello all.... 

Not much of a lurker , but I am today looking for a specific topic. Anywho, I joined in 2014 but was too busy exploring vacant buildings to get hooked with geocaching. With a lack of friends to explore with recently I decided to get back to geocaching. After finding a few caches I decided to buck up for the premium membership. I don't think I have ever paid for an app for my phone prior !! (well the app was free but the upgrade not) My goal this year is to find a cache a day ( some days more some days less but at least average one a day) I am almost caught up but need to fill in a few calendar days still. I suppose my next goal would be to get all the caches in my city. Lastly, I have plans on placing caches, some individual  but ultimately I want to do a multi cache with something epic at the end. 

Happy Caching all ! Hope to meet some of you out there soon ! 

Colleen aka Suede 

BTW if someone could point me to a recent post about new/ cheap GPS units best for GC please do. The app drains the battery on my phone so fast when I use the navigate portion. 

22 hours ago, C0BJA said:

Hello! I am a basic member and have recently joined and was wondering if I could try a premium 30 day trial to see if I would like to buy a membership. Thanks!

In the meanwhile, the procedure changed.

Good day, I am fairly new to the forums and post on occasion but I am sadly worthy of the lurker title. I like to browse and see if a question or topic has been covered before I ask it again in that thread or starting a new one. I figure it helps avoid repetition and better focus discussions to existing threads. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm in geocaching to see great places and flex some creative muscles trying out new ideas my area hasn't seen. 

• Upvote 1

Not a lurker ... trying not to be one? Fairly new to forums though and same as CheekyBrit, I search out my Qs to avoid repetition! Fam and I are in Ontario, Canada and love to get out and explore new areas. We have two littles in tow, so often go after easier/traditional caches because they hold their attention more. Goals include:

- 365 challenge

- Getting the EarthCache badges

- Finding a cache in every province and state (and beyond)

- Learn how to fully utilize my GPS beyond the beginner basics

- Meet more cachers!

So...not technically a lurker as I've been caching for a little bit now, but this is my first time in the forums, even just looking. My name is Kelly (logs as kmm123) and I'm definitely getting more into this recently. I generally don't like asking for handouts, but would love an opportunity to explore a premium membership before making the full on commitment, so if anyone could help with that, I'd be really grateful. Actually just met the owners of a cache I just found right after finding it, which was awesome, and means no more anonymity for me ?

Definitely looking forward to getting to know more of you and get more involved!

Thanks for the opportunity and all that ?

On 8/30/2019 at 1:26 PM, kmm123 said:

So...not technically a lurker as I've been caching for a little bit now, but this is my first time in the forums, even just looking. My name is Kelly (logs as kmm123) and I'm definitely getting more into this recently. I generally don't like asking for handouts, but would love an opportunity to explore a premium membership before making the full on commitment, so if anyone could help with that, I'd be really grateful. Actually just met the owners of a cache I just found right after finding it, which was awesome, and means no more anonymity for me ?

Definitely looking forward to getting to know more of you and get more involved!

Information about Premium membership trials is in the Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions thread:

Currently, 7-day trials are available for users who have not previously had Premium Membership by contacting Geocaching HQ via the Help Center.

On 8/30/2019 at 2:26 PM, kmm123 said: