Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Hi everyone! I just started geocaching a few months ago... slowly at first, but now I'm pretty well hooked. I just joined the forums a week or so ago, but lurked off and on before that, looking for advice. Seems like a good place to visit and share ideas!

Hello! We are a husband and wife team of new Geocachers. We have never visited the forums before but thought we'd take the time to introduce ourselves now. We are always, always, always together, so we log our finds and speak obnoxiously in "we." Geocaching is an activity that we truly enjoy as a couple and neither of us would ever cache without the other. We aren't terribly active, although we both love the game. Our lives have been in a state of upheaval since we discovered our first cache and it's only recently calmed enough so that we've been able to get back into it all.

There is something so awesome in the thought of a world-wide game that surrounds but is overlooked by so many! How many caches did we walk by for years?! How could you not want to be a part of that? Every time we notice cars pulled off at unusual stops or see people meandering through some unassuming brush, we suspect Geocachers. It's become part of our everyday thinking. We can't wait to log more caches and see all the inspiring places the smilies will draw us toward.

Edited by AmishCajun

Here's another lurker - well, another bunch of lurkers, to be more exact. We're a family of four (mom, dad, two boys aged five years and nine months, respectively) which took up caching last year, after having toyed with the idea for some time. We're located in Western Norway, but have had the pleasure of logging a couple of finds in Iceland and Poland, as well.

Since we live on a small-ish island and are bringing a toddler along on all of our cache hunts (thus rendering the more adventurous cache locations inaccessible for the time being!), our count isn't by any means impressive - but we're enjoying ourselves and have found an excellent activity for getting the five-year old to head off into the great outdoors voluntarily, so what's not to like? Like AnemoneV above, we had a pretty slow start but have since found that nothing whets the appetite for finding another cache as much as finding one - the more we find, the funnier it gets!

Also, we've prepared our first hide, currently awaiting review and release. Exciting times!

Incidentally, I (that is to say, dad!) may have engaged in what can be described as proto-caching while a student - in May 2000, the ham radio club to which I belonged were going to spend the weekend at a cabin way out in the boonies, and the road leading there had restricted access. After having hid the keys to the turnpike behind a rock nearby for later arrivals to find, it occurred to me that SA had been switched off earlier in the week, so rather than trying to relay a long-winded description of the hiding place over a spotty cell phone connection, I fired up the GPS (Hey, we were radio amateurs - of course we had GPS receivers!) and logged the coordinates (N63 19.337, E10 46.714, as it were), sent them to the next group scheduled to arrive and headed for the cabin and a cold beer. Worked a charm.

Hi I'm Nikki and I'm a lurker. I joined the site last summer, but I only just started geocaching this summer. Yesterday, I bought my first GPS device because I got tired of draining my iPhone's battery. LOL! I haven't commented on anything here, because I don't know enough to contribute. But I have learned quite a lot from reading other people's posts.

Edited by PrincessPea120

Just getting used to the site. We began getting more interested in geocashing this year and after reading, dithering, and being intrigued, we finally decided to plunge in. We are now addicted! What better way to have fun, adventure, exercise, and stimulation, than being on a 'treasure' hunt. A fantastic excuse to embrace childhood. The community is unreal. The imagination and creativity is overwhelming. Currently recovering from a particularly wet nettle filled trail, yet already planning another. What better way to mix fun with exercise and stimulation.

Work hard and play harder!

Emma and Louis

Edited by Louisandemma

Hey all, my name is Scott, and I'm From Western Oregon. I spend a lot of time out and about, and originally got into caching after I bought my gps, to teach me how you use it while hunting/trapping. Now that my kids are old enough, we are getting into it as a fun family activity. We are having a ton of fun with it, and I'm hoping to get some fun caches out at some point the ed to my interests!!!

Well I am from Thuringia, the state in the middle of Germany. My town is the City of Jena (founded anno 830) also known here as the City of Science and Light. Because we got alot of scientific research here. 20 thousand Students on our university in a tradition that roots back in anno 1558. I chose my nick because I am a shrink and kinda funny. And if you are from the new world and if you got some important things to teach me. You can be sure: I am neither changeable nor I care about what you say. :-)

Edited by lunatic shrink

Oh dear, I was a lurker from Australia. Then I laid a trail of six caches that were meant to be viewed during the day. I am not saying anymore apart from the fact that I am now an adamant lurker and this is the last post for me. Lurking in the background with a bad taste in my mouth!

Hi everyone! Im a geocacher with some experience, having 39 finds, and am learning to love caching with each find i make! I do have 2 hides of my own, and am really excited about placing one up by a area known as Batchawana Bay, which is about an hour outside of an Ontario town called Sault Sainte Marie, especilly with this place being as wonderful and beautiful as it is! I have not made alot of posts to the forum, mainly just browsing and learning from it to futher my understanding of the game! can't wait for more geocaching adventures in the future!

Originally from Alabama transplanted to Florida since 1980. Photographer, Traveller, Life Student. Lurking for specific information and to get the lay of the land.

I use forums the old fashioned way... for Questions, Ideas, Problems, and to keep apprised of Announcements... and an occasional well intended non-malicious zinger.

Edited by Bohemian1966

Originally from Alabama transplanted to Florida since 1980. Photographer, Traveller, Life Student. Lurking for specific information and to get the lay of the land.

I use forums the old fashioned way... for Questions, Ideas, Problems, and to keep apprised of Announcements... and an occasional well intended non-malicious zinger.

Be welcome!

PS: From a "transplanted" to another. :)

Hey all,

I have been caching since 2011. I tend to go through spells where I search for a lot of caches then go a while without doing any. I have one cache atm but I have a few others im looking for the right place to hide. I tend to mostly just lurk here though I guess this would be my very first post lol.

Hi, I'm new here, from north of Toronto. I heard of Geocaching around 10 years ago and was intrigued but it but never really got into it at the time - I would just ask my friend that was doing it for her latest stories. Then this past weekend was talking with someone who started doing this with his kids using their phones. I joined up last night and will be doing my first hunt with the family on the weekend. My 7yr old daughter is really excited to go "treasure hunting".

Team Qzila here. Basically me and my daughter. And any of her friend that feel like tagging along and learning something. We have been at it for almost two months now and just found our 55th! The time toghther is awesome exploring new areas and talking about what the person was thinking about when they hid this one. Thank you to everyone who makes this game possible and for all the awesome tips and advice here on the forum. We hope to become solid additions to the caching community.

Greetings, all! I started caching a few years ago (8? 9?) in Ohio, and then lost the time for it. Put away the eXplorist 210, moved on with life, then moved to North Carolina. Discovered free time again, and dug and dug and dug through boxes to find the old GPS. What a pointless waste of time THAT was. With no updates, and the fact it is totally unsupported, it has entered its second life as a paperweight. Looking into a new unit, but using the untrusty Droid Maxx until such time as I settle on what to buy. When I decided to get into the game again, however, I couldn't remember my old login, so I'm starting new. Grin&Ferret consists of our household: myself, my wife, my two daughters, my sister-in-law, and my nephew (and Hope, the Ferret, when possible!). We leave the other 11 pets (three dogs, three cats, two chinchillas, a hedgehog, a corn snake, and a skink)at home for sanity's sake. We look forward to many adventures!

Hello everyone, My name is mlevis88 and I have begun Geocashing last week. The reason I feel that I waited so long before beginning was because up until a week ago I had no knowledge that they were not just hidden in historical spots around the world. Now that I know that they are everywhere...I love it! I love casheing, I have found 12 so far and wish to find a crap ton more. Thanks for letting me share guys!

Hi, I just joined at the end of August. I had found a few geocaches before but never logged them online. Now I have 14 finds. I am from Minnesota and I am younger than most of the geocachers, I am 18.

I too am younger (19), you are not alone in that. It may be a little easier for us younger folks to get around and be nimbler eh? I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :laughing:B)

Greetings from sunny Florida!

Brand new to this and really liking it. I remember looking into it years back in Illinois, but ended up forgetting about it. Something a week or so ago sparked a memory and I am actually doing it and loving it.

I want to get the grandson liking it and get him some kind of hobby other than the I-pad. I think he will. I am stacking the deck and going out and finding caches before I take him out so we have some good success the first time I take him out. He is 7.

The wife has joined me as well and she is liking it too.

I have spent all of my spare time this past week reading the forums and watching youtube videos and have learned so much! There is so much to learn and I am treading lightly in order to do it right.

Hello from our family of 4 (dad, mom, 2 sons ages 10 & 6) in Clinton, TN. We have been interested in geocaching for quite some time now and finally jumped into it and found our first caches today (12/6/15) We were not able to find the first cache we went after that was located off in trail in a state park but we had a blast searching for it, and are now even more determined that we are going to go back and locate it! We ended up finding some simpler caches on the ride home. Anyway... today's first geocaching adventure was extremely addicting and we cannot wait to be able to go out next Sunday and look for more. Seriously.... CANNOT WAIT!!! I am also excited to learn more about geocaching as we go along. Our family also just recently moved to Tennessee so this is a fabulous way to explore our new surroundings! As many weekend roadtrips and adventures that our goes on, I cannot believe we haven't been doing this for years now!!! So happy to finally be a part of the fun! :)

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say hi. I stumbled across geocaching when purchasing a gift for a reddit user during the Secret Santa exchange. Out of curiosity, I downloaded the free app and decided to try it. I missed my first cache, but found it a day later after learning more. Since then (about 2 weeks ago), I've found about 30 caches.

A week ago, I was lucky enough to find a Garmin Oregon 600 on sale for about half off. I'm glad I did because its been proven to be way more accurate than my iPhone. Setup was quite a pain in the butt, but I eventually got through it. I've now been challenging myself to find caches without help from the GPS...just find the general area on a map, read the description, and go for it. Obviously, this doesn't work well in wooded areas.

Anyway, just want to say I've been having a lot of fun and have been learning a lot. I'm going to try to hide my first caches this weekend.

Hey All!

I've been a bit on and off with geocaching for a while. But it's something that I've always found to be really cool, even to tell people about it. Anyway, I'm back online. I'm currently a graduate student in science and natural history filmmaking (basically nature documentary kinda stuff like for Nat Geo/Discovery/BBC) and I've always wanted to do a film involving geocaching.

Long story short, I'm in the process of researching for my thesis film with the topic on technology and the outdoors. Essentially I want to explore nature deficit disorder, but also to explore how technology (to some degree) can actually enhance people's experience with reconnecting to nature. Sometime in the near future I will start a thread because I want to hear from people about their experiences of how geocaching has helped them or made their outdoor experiences even better.

If anyone has questions I'm more than happy to answer them! (Even about the graduate program because it is really unusual).

Hey All!

I've been a bit on and off with geocaching for a while. But it's something that I've always found to be really cool, even to tell people about it. Anyway, I'm back online. I'm currently a graduate student in science and natural history filmmaking (basically nature documentary kinda stuff like for Nat Geo/Discovery/BBC) and I've always wanted to do a film involving geocaching.

Long story short, I'm in the process of researching for my thesis film with the topic on technology and the outdoors. Essentially I want to explore nature deficit disorder, but also to explore how technology (to some degree) can actually enhance people's experience with reconnecting to nature. Sometime in the near future I will start a thread because I want to hear from people about their experiences of how geocaching has helped them or made their outdoor experiences even better.

If anyone has questions I'm more than happy to answer them! (Even about the graduate program because it is really unusual).

Welcome back aboard. What the heck is "nature deficit disorder"?

Hey All!

Welcome back aboard. What the heck is "nature deficit disorder"?

Thanks!

Basically "nature deficit disorder" is term coined by Richard Louv in 2005 from his book "Last Child in the Woods" to describe the drastic change in the last 15 - 20 years (or more) about how more children are spending more time indoors playing video games, surfing the web, etc., rather than going outside and exploring the world. There are some studies that suggest this lack of spending long periods of time outdoors leads to behavioral problems, ADHD, and obesity (obviously). To my knowledge it's not a fully accepted "disorder" but for obvious reasons there are correlations between computers/games/technology keeping people indoors and the rise of childhood obesity.

I have yet to read the book, but I have seen it mentioned on some other topics! :)

I'm very new to geocaching, myself. I started on geocaching last Spring when I bought the full app (though find I generally prefer the free app, anyway, as I find it easier to navigate), but aside from a "virtual" cache (basically just standing next to a plaque in my city), I couldn't find anything. I'd poked at it over the months, and on New Year's Day, I was about to give up. I'd hunted for some without spotting a single one (I understood, intellectually, what the difficulty rating meant [and stuck to the one, one-point-five difficulty caches], but because I'd never found a cache before I didn't have the framework with which to build a reference point)--then I stumbled onto one almost by accident. The second one I happened to find because I saw another geocacher grab it, and I began to get enough of a sense of what I was supposed to be looking for to begin finding more and more on my own.

There's one four-star difficulty one I'm noodling, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It's aggravating in a really great way; I have a lot of information and clues to sift through, which is the best sort of aggravation, to me. :D The ones with a ton of data are the ones I like to mentally gnaw on, to worry at like a Terrier with a bone.

I also wonder if I'm the only one who constantly feels like a child playing something between Noir-ish spy fiction (trying to locate secret drops from fellow undercover sorts) and a gumshoe P.I., gathering clues to solve hidden-item mysteries. :D

Edited by Phantomaniac

I also wonder if I'm the only one who constantly feels like a child playing something between Noir-ish spy fiction (trying to locate secret drops from fellow undercover sorts) and a gumshoe P.I., gathering clues to solve hidden-item mysteries. :D

Welcome to the hobby. :)

You're not the only one! When I was younger I had a book called "The Spy's Guidebook" which contained alot about coded messages and how to hide them. I'm sure my love of this book as a child helped spark my interest in geocaching when I discovered it.

Hi all, I've been lurking in the forums for a few weeks now. I say 'I', technically we are a team; Myself, MummyBear and Rosie of course. We usually cache together as a 3-ball but have also been known to cache as a 2, depending on who is away shopping/golfing/grandparents....etc.

Only started in Sept but are upto just over 180 finds now and have plans to hit the 200 this weekend. We're in the UK and were generally like all types of caches from the mini series out in the countryside to the urban multi-caches. We particularly like a series unique to the UK and that is the Church Micros. They're a series of over 9000 caches/multi-caches located around churches. We aren't religious at all but we really enjoy the architecture and history associated with these old buildings.

Nice to meet you all,

RDB

Hello all. My wife...Her Majesty The Queen..and I are going to do our 1st geocaching this weekend. I have the app downloaded to my phone, and have been playing with it at work to get use to it. Figured I would wait to see if we enjoy it before getting a gps device, and getting the premium membership. We wanted a hobby we could do together that could be added to our weekend/day trips when we go out exploring different historic towns, or on vacations. We've done a couple of road rallies where my wife navigates while I drive, and enjoy that, so we figured we would attempt this to see what happens. It's suppose to be a nice in the low 60's type of day Saturday, so we're going to head out to a local park that seems to have a lot of geocaches. I'm going to pick up a few "things" to leave behind also. Other than that...just a simple hey...and hopefully my wife won't kill me with frustration. Peace and long life everyone.

Hello! I'm Brandy and I just started geocaching around last thanksgiving. I have fallen in love with it. My fiancee introduced me to the game when we were in a state park pretty bored with nothing to do. I have since got a few other of my friends into the game and they love it to. I just bought my first track able and hope it will do well out there in the caches. Maybe i'll get premium one day. Who knows!