Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Hi! My husband and I started caching a few months ago and we are hooked :) It's something fun to get us out of the house, and we really enjoy exploring the outdoors. I do all the logging and the lurking. This is my first post, but I have been checking out the forums since we started. The forum has been very helpful, I have found answers to many of my questions here. We are smartphone cachers, but we are determined to not be "one of those" that seems to frustrate many others ;)

Hello from BC, Canada and Happy Caching :)

Been lurking since August 2013. The boards are intimidating to a newbie... so much negativity emanates from some of the veterans of the game that seem to feel intruded upon by the newcomers, and I have been reluctant to post or announce my presence until I had some time under my belt.

Obviously lots of very friendly folks here, and have learned much! Just sharing why the radio silence for the last 11 months.

Hi everyone!

If you look at my join date, I've been a member here since 2005! When we were in college and right before we got married, my wife and I were really into geocaching. Unfortunately, we just got busy with tons of other things and it got left by the wayside. We now have a 10 month old daughter, though, and are committed to trying to get the three of us out of the house nearly every other evening to walk, run, and now geocache. We've been having a blast so far and have even introduced some kids and families in our church to the hobby.

So, I guess I've been an inactive lurker, but now I'm back!

Oh, and by the way: About a year after we stopped geocaching I gave my trail name to a dog we adopted. We have three dogs now, but dog Trotter just doesn't like to go outside that much. He's kind of lazy! Looks like I'm going to have to pick up his slack along with my wife and baby, Luthien and Adora, and our other two dogs Canoe and Crouton!

I just joined at the end of June and went on my first geocaching in July. I'm just now starting to read some of the forums to try and learn, so have not been here long enough to see any "ugly" comments. I'm also one that does not participate in on line "fights". I think they are juvenile.

So will skip anything that I find offensive or just plain silly when folks can't be civil. If I find to much of this going on, I just won't go to the forums, it's not worth my time.

Rhonda (aka: dogpaws4ever)

Uh, wow. This post kind of just popped in my eye.. Well, my name is kevin, i have about 10 finds by now, started 4 days ago and i'm seriously enthusiastic on how "deep" this simple geocaching goes. Already pissing of my girlfriend about stuff i just found out. :D

I hope to have a good time ! (:

I usually hit the forums about 2 to 3 times a week. I've noticed that over the last week or so it's really gotten ugly in here. Some of the more potent exchanges in the old forums were alot of fun to follow. Nowadays it seems to be just plain mean. Now I shall go back to lurking.

I agree. I have been away from Geo caching for a year. Responded to a fellow that thought Geo caching wasn't "Rocket Science".

He called me an A** Hole in an email. I did report him don't know what will come of it. I hope he is banned.I just turned a friend on to Caching

an experience like that may shy him away from a fun way to get exercise :(

new person here (just 150 finds so far)

but i am planning to get some more fast :)

i am known to react to a lot of things

also i am looking for new challenges . allready passed my mentor and now i am looking for people to "compete" against. so anyone with more then 160 finds (and 1.000+ will be to many for now) you can always add me

as a friend. then i can start chasing again :)

Hi, I go by the geocache name DaSportsBabe. I started Geocaching on Lookout Mountain in Golden, CO. I Geocache anytime that I get a chance. I found my very first Geocache on Lookout Mountain on July 23, 2014. Today is July 29th, 2014 and I've found 17 Geocaches!! I'm learning that some Geocaches are easy and most are hard to find. It's exciting when I find one, even though I'm 36. I'm always open to tips people may have since I'm new to this. 2hs2qyo.jpg

Hello, from Watkins Glen, NY!! I just found out about Geocaching a few days ago by looking threw Apps. on my phone. I decided to look into it last night. I feel this is a GREAT way to get back in shape and see places in my back yard I haven't seen. I see that there are MANY Caches VERY close to me. I have also got my GF and my 1 Son interested. We plan to find some Caches today. I am sure you will hear from me again on the Forums somewhere. :D

Edited by JTKCK72

So, My GF, Son, and I have found some Caches (Great Time) I have even taken my Youngest Son (2yrs Old) on a Cache. I have also got another one of My older Son's and His Fiance interested and they signed up and found some Caches the other day. I still can't believe that Geocaching has been going on for so many years and I have never heard of it. I sure wish I would of found out a lot sooner.

I have been lurking for years. This will be my second post... for mainly personal reasons I have remained in the background. I have helped several people get started in Geocaching in my local area and back in my hometown in Ohio. I try to encourage respectful growth of our hobby. After 4 years my personal items are coming to a close so I thought I would take a more active roll in this. I love the hunt and the hide. I love that I can make it a family affair and be taken to places that I may have never seen on my own and I have taken people to places they have not seen. Someday I would love to be a volunteer reviewer or help out in some other way. I have joined some local groups as well and we are planning events etc. My Daughter (WeeQui) and my Girlfriend (NurseNancy31) join me on our adventures and it has become quite fun for us. We have gathered quite the Geocaching kit of items. We have replacement Cache containers and logs and plenty of SWAG to repair caches. We have even added a Geo Dog Sarabi (http://coord.info/TB640R0) to our company of misfits.

So now you know a bit about this Lurker....

Cheers

-Todd

AKA: inetfun

Howdy! I'm a newbie. I think this may be my actual first time logging in here on the forum. I saw this post pinned to the top & thought that I'd just start here.

I've completely lost my mind to Geocaching. I'm absorbing every bit of information possible & my mind is working toward hiding my own caches. I'm definitely not interested in arguing with anyone. I'm notorious for hashtags & happiness, in a nutshell.

I actually have a question, but am overwhelmed by this whole forum & since "off topic" can be here, then I guess that's what I'll do. Please don't spaz on me if this isn't appropriate etiquette; believe me, it's not intentional. :anibad:

I am trying to find caches within 50 miles of me that have not been found within a year. I tried to create a pocket query, with no luck. Where do I go next or what changes should I make with my query?

Well I just posted elsewhere so I suppose I'm officially delurked, although I'd posted in 2011 when I first joined. After which I wandered off because my technology wasn't technological enough to play for reals. At the moment I'm combining smart phone with a GPSr I can sort of use and having a lot of fun - I can only get better right?

As for introductions, I'm not so good at those. So I'll just say I live near Melbourne, Australia and my job gives me a fair few split shifts which is prime caching time for the local caches. Anyway, hullo. :smile:

Greetings! CacheKate, here. I haven't even started geocaching yet, but my gps is on its way from Amazon this very moment. I'm looking forward to finding cool spots in my area, and I'll hopefully meet some cachers in my area. So, if there's anyone in the Central Jersey area who wants to do some hunting, hit me up. :)

Hi all

I guess I qualify as a 'lurker'; I've been on this site, and caching, for about a month now, and have logged 19 finds (impressive, huh? No? Oh well...).

Not wishing to be one of those annoying 'noobs' who pester everyone with questions, I've been quietly reading the FAQs, how-tos and anything else that looks interesting so I can bore my friends appear knowledgeable if anyone asks me what I'm doing poking around in the middle of a muddy field... :D

Started caching as a result of a friend from Wyoming introducing me to a 60csx as I recall. Was highly motivated then had medical issues which put me on the sidelines for over a year. Have actively tried to get out once a week after reviewing and downloading caches that look to be challenging, found within the last few months and have a description of some sort that applies to the cache. It is not necessary to have a hint. Numbers is not my goal in fact when I see a string of caches all within 562 feet of each other I normally ignore the series. I have only hidden one cache and it disappeared somewhere in Mexico. I have locations and the goods to put out more caches and need to do so this winter. I don't visit the forums very often as they seem to be un moderated ego street fights too often. I was fortunate enough to visit Geocaching HQ this summer which rejuvenated me.

Started caching as a result of a friend from Wyoming introducing me to a 60csx as I recall. Was highly motivated then had medical issues which put me on the sidelines for over a year. Have actively tried to get out once a week after reviewing and downloading caches that look to be challenging, found within the last few months and have a description of some sort that applies to the cache. It is not necessary to have a hint. Numbers is not my goal in fact when I see a string of caches all within 562 feet of each other I normally ignore the series. I have only hidden one cache and it disappeared somewhere in Mexico. I have locations and the goods to put out more caches and need to do so this winter. I don't visit the forums very often as they seem to be un moderated ego street fights too often. I was fortunate enough to visit Geocaching HQ this summer which rejuvenated me.

I don't think I'm a lurker but hey I found out about this Geocaching by accident I was taking a walk in a local preserve when I thought I had seen some trash in the woods and when I went to pick it up it was a Geocache container an animal had drug it from its hiding place I took a seat on a fallen tree and checked it out and then downloaded the app. on my phone, placed it back where I thought it went and left a note to owner who placed it back in it's spot and thanked me for saving it..

This was my first find.....

Been hooked every since!!!!!

Not so much a lurker but definitely a newbie. My wife and I found our few few caches last week and are planning on going out today to find a few more. Great way to enjoy a hike and get the dog some exercise. Learning slowly and we think this may become a hobby for us. The dog sure enjoys the time outdoors!

Not too much of a lurker. I'm usually hit-or-miss on forums. I'm PSUSteeler. Currently, I live in Lewistown, PA. Been a member when I bought my GPS in October 2011, but didn't know much about caching, so I didn't start until April 2012. Been doing it, a bit at a time, ever since. As a non-retired, non-family-having lone cacher, sometimes it is difficult to get out there to make finds, especially in some of the cache-poor areas where I travel to the most. But, unlike the ones who got me started, I'm still pretty active.

Started a number of years ago...but just now getting back into it. I read the forums, but usually don't ask anything because some "lovely person" who has about 10,000 posts will inevitable say..."Did you search for it??" or "Asked and Answered Already!" or some equally dismissive response, as if they own the forums -like just because it has been talked about before, you can't possibly talk about it again. Oh my..the world (forum) would cease to exist as we know it. LOL These people are so annoying, with their "I own these forums and you know nothing and, OMG, you asked the same question someone else did 3 years ago" attitude, it makes it not even worth it for new people to ask anything. Just my two cents! :rolleyes: Cheers.

I've been at it since November 2013. A friend had mentioned Geocaching to me a few years before, but I never checked it out for myself until I was home on maternity leave. I'm slow and steady: I have no intention of joining the FTF crowd, nor do I ever see myself power-caching. Right now I'm approaching 230 caches found and I have placed 12 or 13. I'm not a regular forum reader; I just stop by every once in awhile to get perspective. It's a shame that some are hostile, but I think you encounter that type of person anywhere, with any hobby. BTW, I think it's cool that this topic is more than 11 years old and still has new posts. But that's pretty typical of Geocaching, if you think about it.

My life was getting a bit stale. Routine. Boring. I love to get out and about hiking or at least discovering new places, but it always seemed like I was going to the same old places, again and again. I've heard a bit about geocaching and wanted to try it, but of course kept putting it off until the "perfect time." That's just silly. So I finally bit the bullet, treated myself to a GPS for Christmas and joined the leagues of geocachers. Yay! Swapped out a trackable this morning so I think I'm up to 24 caches.I think it's a lot of fun. I haven't done much with the forums other than search for answers. Since I'm a noob, I kinda feel like I'm bumbling along and pissing the regulars off. Reading the posts about swag, I think perhaps some like to get pissed off. Our first several finds had some admittedly crappy swag- a penny, dime, somebody who signed a piece of paper, unexciting bottle cap (I have since read that some people collect those, but this one really didn't seem like anything special). When I found a cache with decent swag I was actually shocked. Personally, I look forward to putting swag into caches. Just the thought of making somebody happy with what they've found is reward enough for me. I rarely swap unless something excites me (like that cool arrowhead).

I'm still trying to figure out my GPS. I wish they had a GPS for Dummies book because it just seems like there is so much it can do, but I'm just not getting it. If someone knows a good web resource or whatnot for the GPSMAP 62s, please share! I love the creative caches and am not a huge fan of the micros, lol. I don't have a lot of patience for the hard to find ones. Really don't care for the "stealthy" ones at this point...I'm just not that great at sneaking around. I'd much rather go search for the ones in the woods that require a hike. Not to mention it's a good excuse to take the dogs for a walk, all 4 of them (plus one SO).

So that's me! Hello to the all the fellow geocachers!

Aloha! Thought I should introduce myself seeing as I do 'lurk' quite a bit on these forums (I have made 2 posts though!).

My name is Felicia aka. Adventure-f0x and I have been geocaching since Nov 2012. My 'homebase' is Sydney, Australia although you can find me chasing Winters all over the world, which is fun but also frustrating because there is only so many Winter available geocaches I am able to find. So usually all my finds are in Spring or when the snow is s*** ha ha :laughing:

Well my Geo-name is spankybrandonf, and you will normally see my logs with jennfredd who is my wife.

We are in northern Wisconsin, and have been caching for few years now, we try to get out as much as possible, which means getting out in between my wife's work schedule, I could cache daily being disabled, but since she likes to compete, she doesn't like we going out without her, because my numbers go up HA-HA. We do mostly traditional according to our stats, but my wife loves multi-caches and we love the gadget type caches near us, but we will attempt any type of cache, as long as the terrain is too hard with my disability, but I'm stubborn, and normally will attempt any that are less then 4 miles from the car, but we make up for it by purposely finding caches that require 4wd to get too, because we love off-roading also, and we do purposely plan camping trips based on areas we haven't found caches in yet. But either way that's what type of cachers we are.

I also run a couple geocaching groups on Facebook, Geocacher's Lost and Found, and Northwoods Geocaching ( Wisconsin ), the lost and found one i started because myself and many of our friends had missing, lost or stolen trackables out there and there wasn't anywhere to post it and nothing that anyone could do about it, so anyone worldwide can post their missing trackables with pic and it goes out to our members worldwide to keep a eye out for them, which we have already had a few found, OK but I didn't post to advertise for my group lol.

Thank you for giving us a thread to introduce ourselves, I try to follow topics and help people when questions are asked.

Hope to have conversations with you all someday soon. :anibad:

Sincerely,

spankybrandonf

:smile::anitongue::laughing::rolleyes:

We are GO Geiger, from Upstate NY. (Mr. Yuck can vouch for us - we've met him!)

We started caching when our daughter tried it out for Girl Scouts. Now we're 4 years into it and I (Mr. GO Geiger) have been lurking here for 2 or 3 of them.

We enjoy puzzles, virtuals, ECs ("Oh, Dad, do we really need to take more pictures of rocks?!?"), and cemetery caches (although the exact order of preference will depend on the day of the week).

If I say so myself, some of my puzzles are the talk of the caching neighborhood up here... well, they're talked about... generally with dread and foreboding. But some people like them... I guess... (or maybe they're just humoring me.)

Hi. I've been lurking recently. I created my account at the end of 2007 but at the time I had a 1.5 year old and a 3 month old, so I got a bit distracted. I have been homeschooling those two children for the past three years and we just started geocaching together. They are now 9 years old and 7.5 years old. I wish we had started sooner, but here we are. We live in the northeast of the USA and love to road trip, so I'm hoping our finds in the various states start adding up quickly. I'm here to glean information from the veterans....

Hello,

My wife and I have been interested in hunting Cache's for a few years now, but have never had the drive to start. Well this past Mother's day weekend we went to Cheaha to walk out Bald Rock. After enjoying our walk we decided to begin our adventure of hunting Cache's. We joined the site downloaded the app onto our phones and away we went. One find and one did not find I decided to make this post. I do not know how active we will become in this adventure. I have a few question.

1. Would it be right if I had my own accountant and my wife had her own also? I do travel for work sometimes and I would like to hunt for some Cache's while I am away from her.

2. Will my cellphone(Samsung S5) be all that I need? I have d/l the app plus a compass. Do they have a GPS app where you can input the coordinates or do I need to purchase a Garmin or other similar device.

Welcome to the fun.

I would get an account for each of you, rather than a team account.

The S5 phone will work for finding caches. I would look to the GS paid app, $10, or one of the other App partner apps. Cachesense has been recommended to me by fellow cachers.

Welcome to the fun.

The S5 phone will work for finding caches. I would look to the GS paid app, $10, or one of the other App partner apps. Cachesense has been recommended to me by fellow cachers.

Thank you for response. We did create our own accounts. As for the pay apps and the premium membership, we are wanting to get a little more under our belts to see if we really enjoy the activity. So far so good. We have 9 finds and 2 DNF. Doing a little research(reading all the posted logs) showed that these Caches have not been found in a bit, so that made us feel better.

Welcome to the fun.

Thank you for response. We did create our own accounts. As for the pay apps and the premium membership, we are wanting to get a little more under our belts to see if we really enjoy the activity. So far so good. We have 9 finds and 2 DNF. Doing a little research(reading all the posted logs) showed that these Caches have not been found in a bit, so that made us feel better.

Looks like you are well on your way. I hope you keep having fun (and finding those caches). :D

Hi, All, I joined the forums ages ago, but forgot about them and have not been on for over a year or so, I think. I have been caching for a couple of years, though with paltry levels of finds. I am a bit of a TB nut, (finding them and releasing them are both cool). I also have a bit of a geocoin obsession going. Good to finally make it here and drop a line.

Cheers.