Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

From Wood Co., WV. I'm Luke and I make up one half of Team-Facetious adults. We have many kids that go on a lot of our adventures, if they're in the mood for it. We've been doing this for a year now and just picked up our first dedicated GPSr about a week ago, been using the iPhone's since then. We love it and have a blast with all of this. 130 finds and a few hides and already thinking of ways to hide a few more clever and facetious caches :)

Hello! I am new to Geocaching and these forums :)

I live in SE UK and usually go walking with my fiance and our 2 young daughters (one of which has just gained confidence in walking on her own!)

We got introduced by a couple of friends. We currently use the app on the iPhone as funds are a tad low to get a proper GPS. But as the months go on we are going to stock up on walking equipment and a GPS :)

Tara

Hello out there!! I use the tag Raistlin306, I've actually been using that for years on a variety of sites. I love the character from Dragonlance and the 306, well when I first tried to use Raistlin for a username, of course it was already taken so I tacked on the 306, seems like a random number, but its actually a weird thing, my mother had played this number for years in the daily number and over time she started to see it everywhere she looked, oddly enough I some how picked this up, as I've seen the number everywhere. So that's the tag explanation. I haven't really looked here on the forums much, but I thought I'd start here. I started Geocaching in September of 2012, my room mate introduced me and I never looked back. In October I decided it would be a good idea to hit a couple states in a couple days, it was a bit unthought out. Left 11/1/2012, right after Sandy, and drove to Salem, Ma, hitting NJ, NY, CT, MA, didn't even consider all the problems I'd have with a. flooding, b. little gas availible, it was loads of fun, NOT! Then day 2 drive to Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and last to Albany NY, also dumb!!! Then last day drive home to Pa. Though I don't regret it, I'd rather not follow a Superstorm next time, plus give myself more time to see things and not drive constantly, yes I went alone! But I did manage to cache in a bunch of state, in December I went south through WV, VA, DE, MD, that was much nicer, also I didn't go alone. I've since returned to Salem, and knocked Rhode Island off the list, I'm at 274 caches and I'm looking for a Scooby badge so I'm at 29 days consecutive. I've done an event, virtual, Wherigo, multi, traditional, mystery, and earth caches. I've gotten GSAK to work nice, and have blown way too much on geocoins, Also I started a blog about it. So, I think that is way too long of a intro! Hello again. :rolleyes:

Not really lurking but inspired by all of the existing topics and replies. Very nice! I think I have graduated from a newbie to the next level "geo-rookie". I have learned much from more experienced cachers and researching the "how to" blogs. One of my favorite things about caching is discovering the great cache containers people have hidden or made. Very creative! Then there is the TREASURE or GEOSWAG. There are so many micro caches that could benefit from a little micro swag. I have found swag small enough to fit into a micro cache. Yes, micro swag! The largest piece of swag I have found (so far) is a stress toy. There are no limits to swag possibilities...right? Cache on!

Hello out there!! I use the tag Raistlin306, I've actually been using that for years on a variety of sites. I love the character from Dragonlance and the 306, well when I first tried to use Raistlin for a username, of course it was already taken so I tacked on the 306, seems like a random number, but its actually a weird thing, my mother had played this number for years in the daily number and over time she started to see it everywhere she looked, oddly enough I some how picked this up, as I've seen the number everywhere. So that's the tag explanation. I haven't really looked here on the forums much, but I thought I'd start here. I started Geocaching in September of 2012, my room mate introduced me and I never looked back. In October I decided it would be a good idea to hit a couple states in a couple days, it was a bit unthought out. Left 11/1/2012, right after Sandy, and drove to Salem, Ma, hitting NJ, NY, CT, MA, didn't even consider all the problems I'd have with a. flooding, b. little gas availible, it was loads of fun, NOT! Then day 2 drive to Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and last to Albany NY, also dumb!!! Then last day drive home to Pa. Though I don't regret it, I'd rather not follow a Superstorm next time, plus give myself more time to see things and not drive constantly, yes I went alone! But I did manage to cache in a bunch of state, in December I went south through WV, VA, DE, MD, that was much nicer, also I didn't go alone. I've since returned to Salem, and knocked Rhode Island off the list, I'm at 274 caches and I'm looking for a Scooby badge so I'm at 29 days consecutive. I've done an event, virtual, Wherigo, multi, traditional, mystery, and earth caches. I've gotten GSAK to work nice, and have blown way too much on geocoins, Also I started a blog about it. So, I think that is way too long of a intro! Hello again. :rolleyes:

Nice intro...what's the blog title and where can it be found?

Edited by beatseven

A muggle no more, (nor a lurker no more), after reading an article in a local magazine last week! I'm hooked even though I have yet to find a cache; that should change by tomorrow though. ;)

I'm using my iPod Touch to find the nearest ones. I can't believe I didn't discover this enchanting pursuit years ago, for it's definitely my cup of tea.

Hi Everyone!

KP here from Randolph VT (but only for the past week or so) Previously from Providence, RI I moved up north into the rural town of East Randolph. Now that I'm a Vermonter, the time I don't spend looking for a job I have spent Geocaching. It's been a great way to get out and explore my new digs :)

Through Geocaching I've seen a few covered bridges that VT is so famous for (second in the country for covered bridges!), met an adorable older farmer local to the area while I was out on one of my on-foot geocaching expeditions, and discovered a national park or two! My signature in the logs is a "KP", usually accompanied by a little doodle, to indulge my creative side and my need to stand out. Other hobbies include painting, photography, and World of Warcraft (gotta have some type of couch-potato activity for those rainy days ;)

I live in a house-share type situation with my boyfriend, our eclectus parrot (Jules) and our bearded dragon (Owen). The woman whose house we're rooming in has a massive pet pig. Gotta love the country!

Good luck all, and happy caching! I hope to become a part of the community, and am looking forward to finding a local group of cachers to chat with!

<3 KP

I am a newbie, have 18 finds, and have actually hidden a few. I have posted once or twice, I lurk occasionally, search topics and so forth but I have also noticed a lot of quick sarcastic answers to people who post seemingly legitimate questions. I am hardly a frail fainting type, my feelings aren't easily hurt and I am not shy about voicing my opinion. But I have no desire to get on bad terms with the people in the know here while I am still learning. It's my thought that grumpy, impatient, sarcastic, seasoned Cachers are still a goldmine of information so I prefer to lurk for info in most cases. But I'm here today with a question I am actually going to post and saw this thread title..... :P

I've been lurking about at the forums for over three years but normally don't post anything at this forum. I'm much more active at the forums at the Wisconsin Geocaching Association's website. My wife and I have thousands of finds, love challenge caches, puzzle caches, ammo boxes in the woods, TB's & geocoins, and nice hikes to find caches. Not too nuts about caches in guardrails or lampskirts but we find them too. For us geocaching is about the adventure and not as much about the numbers, but we are motivated by a well put together challenge. Have found caches in maybe about 15 states and are close to completing our first Jasmer challenge. We have met many great people over the years via geocaching and are glad to call many of them good friends. Not sure if I'll take the next step and become active in the Groundspeak forums but it is alluring. Greetings from Wisconsin and maybe we'll see you on the trails! B)

Hi, I'm Chrissy, 36 yr old mom from New Port Richey, FL. I starting caching a few months ago and I am having a great time! I can see it really becoming addicting. I've always loved to go hiking, so this fits right in with that. It gives me a little motivation to get my butt up and get a little exercise too! I was first caching on my iPhone, which was good, but it killed my battery. I recently bought a Garmin Oregon 450t and use the iPhone as a back up if I want to see a satellite image. I'm hoping to make some local caching friends to go out with. My husband has a bad back and cannot hike for long :( My niece likes to go caching with me, but complains if we walk too far and she is a lazy searcher.. giving up too easy! So, if you live in the area, give me a shout!

Pujoleo here. How can a lurker not use this topic as the first place to post! :) Registered member since 2007, but I've been enjoying Geocaching a lot the last couple of years. Only recently have I been skulking the forums, mostly to look for tidbits of info or new ideas. Forums can be daunting with all the info and years of conversations. But pinned topics are always the best place to start, hence this being pinned and me being here! See you around the Seattle area.

Greeting all,

I've started caching at the beginning of the year and have been lurking these forums the whole time. I'm enlisted in the US Army and stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. I wish I'd have started caching before I deployed to Afghanistan as it would've been cool to grab those few out there. I don't remember how I've started caching but am always hungry for the next hunt. I have yet to attend an event and am looking forward to doing so, hopefully soon. I'm looking forward to reading your experiences, opinions, stories, and adventures here.

rb9228

(rb=initials to my name; 9228=the number awarded to me when I graduated the Military Free Fall Jumpmaster course)

Hi all,

Longtime member, first-time poster ;)

I'm not so much a Lurker as an Inactive until recently. I learned about Geocaching in 2003 from a friend in CA. I didn't do anything with it until 2006 when my boys and I drove to a family reunion. I created the account (under a different user name at the time) and found info on some caches along our route. We had time to look for only 2 of them, and were successful with only one of them, but it was fun. Then various health and family issues sidelined me for years. Another friend mentioned Geocaching a little while ago in conjunction with her family's upcoming trip to Yellowstone. That spurred me to look at the next newsletter that arrived and it mentioned the 31-days-of-caching. I figured that was as good a reason to try again as any, and here I am.

still trying to figure out some basics,

IlliniKina

I seldom post, therefore, I must lurk. I signed up for geocaching back in 2004, seemed like a good idea at the time, BUT I was in Germany, didn't have a GPS or a good understanding of how they work...so did nothing with it until this year. Now have a couple good GPS units and having a blast with it! Have 54 finds, a couple DNF, and have 1 cache placed,another pending review, and a 3rd potential site awaiting permission from corporate office giving me permission to place a cache on their property. I do not read all topics, in fact, most the time, I am looking for specific information. Once in awhile, there is a topic that just "sounds interesting" and will look at it. I have tried to post a bit of my own perspective on a couple posts, information as such...or my experience. If it helps someone, great, if not...oh well! I am disappointed that there is not an automatic link to the discussion forums from the main geocaching page (that keeps you logged in without having to log in a second time). can't do anything except lurk at work because of that....(govt computer won't allow login to the forums.). Happy Caching!

Edited by AFNurse

Hey, I'm in NW UK & been lurking until yesterday. What I'm loving most about caching is the beautiful places or has introduced me to, some of which are very close to home. Husbands completely uninterested so I'd love to hear from other Mancunian cachers. Happy caching everyone! :D

One year ago today, CoquiMonster and I started caching. It was probably in April when we got hooked. Since then 170 caches, 39 Souvenirs, a few ticks :(, placing my first four caches, and the joy of discovering new places in our backyard we never knew existed! While still newbies, we are having tons-o-fun! Thanks!

Hello, billdavidsaurus here, or as my local community refers to me - BDS. I've been caching about a year and a half now. About 3500 finds and over 100 hides (yeah, I'm into it). My local area is southern New Jersey and I'm widely known as the Wherigo guy and one of the avid puzzle guys in my local community. I like to think of myself as just more of a "non traditional" cache hider/finder. I've been lurking on the forums for a few months now and just recently started getting into sharing my opinions. It's nice to take in all of the different aspects of the game.

Just found this forum while lurking for info on the Magellan eXplorist GC. I just got one yesterday for my 50th b-day! While my husband doesn't usually cache with me, he is a great hint taker for gifts! LOL! Lucky me! I didn't tell him what model, so I hope this is a good one. I did find a few problems people are having, so if I do have issues, I know where to go for possible fixes!

I found caching about a year ago, thru Facebook. It was like an ad on the side of the page suggesting what I might be interested in. I really didn't do much with it then, but I just recently started to go out and about finding them. I've only found a few (42) as I don't have much time for it, I did go to a couple of meets during the 31 days of caching in Aug. and met a few people. I live in Winter Park, FL and have only seen 1 group of people since June & they were from Jacksonville, FL. Crazy how we are all in one area, and never see each other! I plan to go to the big Finders Fest event in Ocala next month. I hope to see you there! Happy hunting! :)

Edited by Tammy-Taz

Hey Lurkers!

Welcome! We are so glad you are here. :D

Geocaching HQ and your amazing volunteer moderators are striving to make these forums a safe place for everybody to have fun, respectful discussion about this crazy game that we all love. There are so many community members here who have a TON of knowledge about the game and are more than willing to help. Once you build up some courage: find the right spot to ask some questions and share a few of your geocaching wins with everybody.

I look forward to chit-chatting with y'all soon!

Hello,

I just started caching 4 days ago. I am a navy reservist that got activated and sent to Afghanistan. While on my flight over the guy next to me talked about geocaching. So now that i got some white time i been trying to find caches around BAF. So far it's been a great challenge. I am currently terrible at it but i hope to get better with one cache at a time.

-MustachedAvenger

Hi my name is Emily but I do have the nickname Wolff that I've gone by for years. I'm still very knew to geocaching. I have known about it for a long time but never had too much interest in it until I was at work and we were fixing a fence that had gotten cut. Tied to the bottom of the fence stake was a bison tube with coordinates to "the final cache". My boss and I went to find it but couldn't find anything but we suspect the cache got taken away by a flood we had earlier this year, or was muggled. Anyway that day I looked it up, the final week I got an account on geocaching.com, got the app and I've been hooked since. I definitely found a new hobby, which I didn't need as I already have a ton.

Anyway I'm based out of Arcadia, Oklahoma, none of my friends cache or seen to want to cache so I go alone or take a dog or two. Can't believe I didn't try geocaching before now, its so fun!

Hey all Eric here and not a lurker just an old member that had no idea what my user name was 10+ years ago when I was active. I use to be involved with a hot air balloon team and being that we were geeks would use this as a fun way to teach technologically impaired balloon pilots how to use their fancy gps's... lol Great way to teach people that really should know how to use one proficiently. Also it was a great way to pass the time between morning and evening flights I have to say that in some of the towns like Findlay Ohio it had to look quite comical with 30 people all walking around staring at their gps.

Hello! I'm very new to caching but I must say I am hooked! My fiance has wanted to do it for a while now but we didn't have a gps so we never got around to it. I help my best friend with a scavenger hunt she participates in at her work every year and this year it was Geocaching! We both work until 7pm so we had to find caches at night. Oh boy were we terrible that first night! We had a blast though and she came in 3rd place. I actually gave in and got a smartphone so I can cache on my own. So now I'm on the forums, learning and hopefully I can find some people in my area (Buffalo, NY) that are into it too.

Hello! I'm Pete from Derbyshire in the UK. Just down the road from where that Robin Hood character lived.

Discovered Geocaching just over a week ago, purely by accident and was immediately hooked. I travel a fair bit with my job so having a "hobby" that I can take with me is great.

I generally find that posting on forums isn't entirely neccessary these days, as whatever you need to know, somebody has usually asked the question before so I just tend to lurk and use the search function instead.

Cheers all and happy caching! :smile:

Not really a Lurker and just jumped in when I started - this is not my first post.

Been retired from the Army for years. Go out to Uwharrie NF to camp pretty regular.

Was camped late one afternoon last month and two guys came up to my campsite. While one poked around in the rocks the other told me that they were geocaching. He took the time to explain it - they signed the log and were off. They told me to check out this site.

I did and was like cool something to do while wandering around the woods.

As a side note - I haven't noticed any hostility so far - everyone's been right friendly.

Of course those "What's your opinion......?" questions do get side tracked because everyone has an opinion ......... :)

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Occasionally lurker revealed.

Originally just to check the pulse, then a few drop-ins to hunt specific information or answers.

Happily, most questions have already been answered adequately in the past, and for that reason I have managed to remain at the lurker stage...until now.

I dropped by today to look for hints re: a local hide that has eluded me, and drilled into this board in the process.

so, Thanx for the opportunity to peek over the hedges, even for a moment.

I've been lurking about for quite a while. I became a premium member just a short while ago. I started caching so my two teenage girls would have something to do with me outdoors when they visit with me. We are all hooked on caching. I've met some local cachers and they are very good people. I build my own hand made containers for many types of micros. I'm enjoying creating accurate quality hides for the local cache hounds. Like all other areas the FTF's are vigorously fought for by the snart phone crowd. Some of my hides have been found within 20 minutes of publication. I have been actively openly promoting geocaching to many people that I meet, most people don't get it but I'm sure that I'll eventually indoctrinate some new cachers.

I rarely take the time to troll through the boards, but was lurking this one tonight and was encouraged to step out of the shadows. I have been geocaching for a few years and love how this hobby takes me to places I'd never have otherwise gone. Even though I have lived In Ventura County most of my life, I have discovered so many new things here through geocaching that I probably wouldn't ever have seen. I really could do without all the lamp post hides, but what can you expect from mostly urban Southern California.

I'm a new lurker and muggle turned seeker. This past weekend the family and I were headed back from seeing family, and stopped at the lighthouse in Hannibal, MO. There were a couple guys that told the children they were looking for a buried treasure I'm the trees. They then told my father and I they were geocaching. This got the boys attention real quick after he found a camouflage peanut butter jar full of "treasure". The two of us are now looking for caches in or area, and he's found a hobby 10x better then video games.

Thanks guys for putting up with some"muggles" and inspiring a boy.

Hi there,

I have been lurking forums for a several months, I think. Friend introduced me into "treasure hunting" (this is how I call whole this process) about a year ago. Just wanted to say hello and thanks for such a thing. Got hooked instantly.

I have several ideas on improving whole geo-catching thing, but I'll talk about them when I am ready :)

I am from Oregon. I currently live in the Rogue Valley. I found my first cache about 4 years ago. I have been more of an idle searcher. 1 here one there. I have recently been spending more time hunting. I have gotten more caches in the last 4 months than the last 4 years. I started with the iphone app, currently my android app. I just recently bought my first GPS.

Most of the time I go with my kids. My daughter especially has been having fun searching with me.

We look forward to more hunting, happy caching.

fuzzybelly here.

New to the forum pages....any forum pages. Only found it today. Not new to caching, I've enjoyed the game and the people since 08'.

My caching grounds are Anchorage, Alaska. You may not think There's a lot of caches here but it's a big state, so big that if you cut it in half.........Texas would be the 3rd biggest state :) Sorry Texans :)

I just love caching in the snow. Strap the snow shoes on and wander through the trees in the hunt of a smiley, what could be better than that?

I'll be lurking and posting as I go. thanks for having me folks :)

Hello. I'm MoCrash. Springfield, MO. I guess I'm a lurker. I've posted a few times, mainly when I need advice. I've tried joining other conversations, but any time I've thought of something worthwhile to contribute, I read the thread and someone else has beat me to it, usually with more knowledge than me as well. But I definitely learn a lot from reading the conversations on here. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences!

Edited by mocrash