Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Welcome to all the lurkers... and Gecko1 who's a fake lurker :P

Just reading back the last dozen posts give a nice cross-section of geocachers, from different places, all with different perceptions of geocaching. Hope it continues to give you enjoyment in your free time.

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right."

MrsB

Hello Folks,

Im very new to geocaching -- joined last month.

So far I've found several threads to be excellent sources of information, especially the one about the Magellan eXplorist GC! A few threads degenerated into off topic rants but that's to be expected no matter what Forum you're talking about. By and large, the members who post seem well behaved, well meaning, and willing to help.

Im looking forward to a long geocaching "career."

Tim

Hi, We (as a family) are new to Geocaching. Started yesterday, and found 4, so a good start. Immedietely realised there is a community when a lady came up to us and asked us if we were "looking for little plastic boxes". After a thought of "what is this lady on about", the penny dropped! So thanks to MirageSeekers for helping us with our first ever find!

This seems like the hobby we needed to get our son to exercise, and give us some important "down" time from the hustle of weekly life.

James and Alex (ably assisted by Leo and Gabriel)

Manchester UK

Howdy! I'm TopHatSnake! I live and geocache in College Station, Texas. I stumbled onto geocaching while visiting my parents in Central Texas, and found this strange little bottle hanging from fishing line in a tree, directly in front of the house I grew up in. I logged my first three caches on 11-11-11, without really knowing the significance of that date in the Geoworld, just a happy coincidence. As we say in Texas, Cache on, ya'll!

Hi everyone.

I started geocaching during the summer of 2009. A friend of mine introduced me to the game and I really enjoyed it.

But during the past year and a half I've cached very little. A couple of other geocachers in my area made the game unenjoyable. Then my wife had our son, Jaydon.

Jaydon is now 15-months and the two of us have started geocaching together. My wife supports my hobby and I'm glad to say I am back in the game!

Thanks

Chris aka CmHall9

I'm Larry, and yes, I'm a lurker...always figured God gave me two ears and one mouth to do twice as much listening as talking...lurking in the forums is my way of listening. I'm not bashfull though, so if I have something I feel is constructive or important to contribute, I will speak up. :)

I just found the "lurking" page. I have so much trouble finding caches some days that I wonder why I keep trying, other than the fact that it is so fun looking. But today I was stymied. Two caches that appeared to be 200 to 300 feet onto private property. This was out in the countryside but still doesn't feel right to me, so I didn't go onto the property. Is this the standard pratice? Or am I reading my GPS wrong? I am in Washington state if that makes any difference.

Hi all

We are from South Africa, have not found any cashes yet. Still wish there was a page with all the lingo/slang terms and what they mean LOL B)

I am also new to this site, but I was able to find that page with all the acronyms! I can't link it at the moment, but it should be on the home page for the forums under 'getting started'. Hope that helps :)

Howdy. New guy here. I signed up 2 days ago, and have been digging through forums ever since. Actually, I didn't bother going to bed last night. :)

I've found a lot of useful information here. I especially like the "getting started" and "what's in your bag" type posts. I've also decided on a gps because of these forums.

I've yet to go hunting, but plan to in the next few days. I just have to pack my bag and find some swag to trade. Can't wait to get started.

Anyway... Hello, great site, I'm still reading, and thanks to all for the great info I've found here!

By the way, you can call me Hairball, or Hair, or if you need an actual name, it's Scott :)

Happy Hunting! (gee, I bet y'all have never heard THAT before...)

Hi there Hairball, Along with your swags you best take a pair of tweezers. In this area there are more and more tiny caches. A small tube with a rolled up signup sheet. Now room for swags of any kind.

Summerwinter in western Washington State.

Howdy. New guy here. I signed up 2 days ago, and have been digging through forums ever since. Actually, I didn't bother going to bed last night. :)

I've found a lot of useful information here. I especially like the "getting started" and "what's in your bag" type posts. I've also decided on a gps because of these forums.

I've yet to go hunting, but plan to in the next few days. I just have to pack my bag and find some swag to trade. Can't wait to get started.

Anyway... Hello, great site, I'm still reading, and thanks to all for the great info I've found here!

By the way, you can call me Hairball, or Hair, or if you need an actual name, it's Scott :)

Thanks for the tip, summerwinter. Besides my so-called "smart" phone, I have tweezers, flashlight, batteries, a leatherman tool,couple different pens, pencils, sharpies. Still trying to think of what else I might need. Partner might be fun, but... I don't know anybody out here. Lol.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. :)

Hi there Hairball, Along with your swags you best take a pair of tweezers. In this area there are more and more tiny caches. A small tube with a rolled up signup sheet. Now room for swags of any kind.

Summerwinter in western Washington State.

Well, I'm going to take your advice and introduce myself! I think that's a great idea to have everyone let folks know who we are.

My real name is Jeff McArthur. I'm a writer in Burbank, and I'm just about to come out with a historical book, but my main book series is a sci fi one with a character who's sort of an Indiana Jones in space. (Obviously going along with my interest in treasure hunting.)

I've also been doing an online series that involves miniature war gaming, but after doing geocaching, I started realizing that geocaching would be a GREAT show! So, I've made a sort of sports/reality show on Youtube involving geocaching called Geo-Hunters. If you're interested in looking at it, it's at:

Happy hunting everyone!

The name's Max, aka Geoguy14. I've been geocaching since late September of last year, and so far I've found 50 geocaches, hidden three (soon to be four), logged two trackables and a geocoin, and completed 5 challenges. I started geocaching because I read "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Geocaching" and instantly got hooked. Also, I often cruise the forums a few times a week to find an interesting topic to reply to. And, I'm a fan of Geosnippits.

I guess its time for my intro.. Ive been caching for quite a bit now.

I have been geocaching now since late 2009 or so.

I didn’t know anything about geocaching until I was deployed to Qatar back in 2007. I went out to the local town and purchased a Garmin eTrex Legend handheld GPS receiver (or GPSr in geo-terms). I bought the GPSr to easily find my way around the city etc. I hopped on the internet to look for maps and such of the area, since it was only pre-loaded with North and South America.

I came across some posts on various websites about something called “Geocaching”. In a nutshell, geocaching is essentially a GPS-based treasure hunt where somebody hides some stuff somewhere along with a logbook, then posts the GPS coordinates online for people to run out and find.

I read and read about this game and was HOOKED! I realized that my GPSr wasn’t that great for this sort of thing and decided to wait until I returned from deployment to get a really nice unit and start there.

I returned and had forgotten about the sport for some time, until a friend brought up that she had always wanted to try. At the time had had purchased a Garmin Nuvi 200 – a GPS made for cars, not hiking.. I started looking some up online and found only a couple as the GPSr wasnt built for close proximity, on-foot travel..

I soon after picked up a Garmin Dakota 10 (can you tell I like Garmin products yet?) Anywho, with this unit I have found over 300 geocaches (at the time of this post), and still trekking on! I am addicted and have since hidden a few of my own and gotten may others into the sport.

I wish I could find more people both nearby and online as siked about geocaching as I am.. I recently started up "GeocachingTV" its a live chat for all things geocaching. I will be hosting shows on all sorts of topics like addressing questions new and seasoned cachers may have, starting conversation topics like "what do you do when there are muggles nearby and they spot you" etc.. Hopefully it will catch on.. I suppose I am going to add some info on my blog I started for caching about the show so people have some more info on it..

The Rafflelady is just lurking. I've never been to the forums before. I'm teaching a class of 32 young 4th & 5th graders about geocaching. I could use some help (Antelope/North Highlands, CA area) and wonder how to get a couple of volunteers to help with instructions and field work.

hi.

Lurker. Opinionated pain. both have been applied.

I geocache as I can.

I am working on a local (to me) series so that I can maintain them. I also want to share some history of my little part of the world. Getting permission, and explaining what geocaching is, has been interesting to some folks who do not play with computers.

Ya'll have a GREAT weekend!

Hi everyone. I first heard about geocaching while in training in Rochester, NY. Went out and found nothing at the time. Once I got back home in GA, I started to read the forums and finally found my first cache. I started with a smart phone but quickly moved on to a real gpsr. I just received my eTrex 20 and can not wait to get started with it. There is a lot of good information here, almost too much. I want to thank everyone for helping out us newbes.

Mike

HI :) I am Redtwin2 and I have been geocaching for about 3 years. Just recently, I hit my 100 mark. I also have just started lurking around the forums seeing if any topics cover something I hadn't thought about. It's all about education for me since I do not feel that I know enough yet to comment too much :anicute:

As I sit here trying not to scratch the remnants of whatever I got into in the woods 2.5 weeks ago, looking for a cache I didn’t find, I thought typing might be a better thing to do.

Howdy, TxVic here from just north of Dallas, TX. I was reading about someone on the Wiki, I believe, and they mentioned that they geocache for a hobby. I wish I could remember who it was. Anyhow, I had never heard the term so I looked it up. Intrigued, I wondered if I could do this with my Samsung Galaxy III that I got a few months ago, so I loaded a free app. Viola! Research time for me. I started reading in these forums a bit, watched a Bunch of the GeoSnippets (love those), found my first beginner’s cache a few days later. Totally hooked now, after discovering a bunch of nice parks near my work, and other cool places near my home, I know I’ll be having fun at this game for quite some time.

I bought the paid app and premium membership and just love all the information on this site. I am still learning, probably always will be and that’s part of the fun. I plan to wait until I have found at least 100 caches before I hide any myself. That way, I can do it up right.

I also, wood burned 10 wooden nickels to leave in caches I like. I have one left and am working on the next set. I’m not good at wood burning either, but will get better.

Looking forward to a trip to Houston and Galveston to drop off some TB’s I was lucky enough to find. That isn’t the purpose of the trip, but it’s going to make it a whole lot more fun. I already have planned some caches to check out and hope to leave the TB’s along with one of my own, with my #10 wooden nickel. I wonder who will find it? I hope it gets to travel. B)

Hi, everyone. My name is Linda aka Lacey1961. I got into this about a month ago.

I found my first cache on 8/24/12, with the help of a fellow cacher who happened to be in the area. It was a nano. I had no idea what to do with it, so she graciously helped me, and provided some very helpful tips. [Might I add, I hate nanos, because I have longish fingernails, which make rolling and reinserting the log a little difficult. Yeah, I need a log rolling tool.]

My next find was all on my own (woo hoo!), and my next was a PAF (well, actually a textAF). Since then, I've had a co FTF, and a best day of 22 (21 actual, and an event). As of yesterday, I have a streak of 10 days; hoping to make it 11 today.

I'm still not used to encounters with LEO's. I've had 2, so far. Both in parking lots, both at night. c:geo app in map mode helped me both times. :)

Hey all, Scott here, formerly known as GeoSACEM, from the northern Indiana area.

I first learned of caching from an IT class i was taking at the local university last year. The professor was teaching about geo-tagging and powerpoint, and we had to go around to local areas, get the coordinates and take pictures for the presentation we'd have to put together. He then mentioned geocaching. I went home, looked it up, watched some youtube, logged into the site and BAM! here I am.

To me, there is nothing more enjoyable than caching with the family. The kids, 13yo girl and boys at 8 and 6, all love it, and it is not easy finding something that kids of those ages can all like. My (ex)wife and I also had a good time doing this- it was so wonderful spending quality time with her and the kids.

Now that the divorce is almost finalized, I am the only cacher left. Well, me and Cody, my trustworthy Lab/Pointer mix who carries a TB in his collar. I have introduced several people to the sport, and they all love it. They join me for some caching here and there; sometimes I just go out on my own.

I am closing in on 150 finds now, and am probably going to hide one soon.

I am happy to call myself a cacher, and all of you friends.

Best regards

'Ello! I'm Mister_Argent of the Naperville/Warrenville area. Still too new to be a lurker, yes, but i imagine that's what i'll be.

I first heard about GeoCaching from my old Rock Climbing trainer at a place called 'Vertical Endeavors' a while back. (If you're reading this, Trainer-whose-name-has-been-omitted, send a friend request my way!) At the time, though, i didn't have any sort of GPS or a smartphone at the time so the idea sort of fell dormant in the back of my mind...

Fast forward 5-6 years to now -- a few days ago i ended up reading up on Geocaching some more. Having the requisite GPS gear (as part of my smartphone) and in the mood for some good trekking, i said to myself, "Why not?". I'm now freaking hooked!

I'll be hitting a few more caches in the next few days -- i want to visit at least two a day and find at least one! Don't want to find all the caches too fast...

I'm Craig for Austin Texas and go by happycampers97. Have heard about this hobby many years ago while attending a popup camper rally. found my first cache over a year ago when I got my first smart phone. Thought it would be a good hobby to to when camping and Rving with my family. Ran into road blocks when most of my favorite parks did not have any mobile coverage and I forgot to store the caches for offline use. Fast forward to a few month ago when I decided to buy an entry level GPSr. Found a few close by to my house but soon was laid up with a herniated disc in my lower back. Now I'm pain free and trying to strengthen my left leg back to normal by doing a lot of walking and easy cycling. What better way to get out and find some cache loot. Been striking out on quite a few DNFs, but in the last couple of weeks I have found just shy of a 100 caches. Lot of fun, hope to find more before I have to go back to work and face those 6 day work weeks.

Hello,name is Den ( short for Dennis) I live in Tottenham, Ontario, Canada.

i tagged along with some friends on a Geocaching trip, we had a blast then i got hooked on it. i joind up as a premium member, set out a mumber of Caches, ( 3 registered now and another 6 or 7 to go) I am a former GSAR ( Ground Search & Rescue) GPS & Topographical maping instructor and local volunteer Firefighter.

Edited by DenBarrett

Hi everyone I'm Mouse.I'm up in New Hampshire. I go by Crashbangboom on the log sheets. That was my roller derby name :) I picked up geocaching when I had to stop playing derby. It's been great! I take my kids along sometimes but mostly I go out by myself. I've logged 30 finds and am in the process of putting together my first one to hide.

I use my iphone which happens to be super convenient unless I wander off where there's no service! I've only been on the site a few months and in the forums for a couple of days.

I'm Craig for Austin Texas and go by happycampers97. Have heard about this hobby many years ago while attending a popup camper rally. found my first cache over a year ago when I got my first smart phone. Thought it would be a good hobby to to when camping and Rving with my family. Ran into road blocks when most of my favorite parks did not have any mobile coverage and I forgot to store the caches for offline use. Fast forward to a few month ago when I decided to buy an entry level GPSr. Found a few close by to my house but soon was laid up with a herniated disc in my lower back. Now I'm pain free and trying to strengthen my left leg back to normal by doing a lot of walking and easy cycling. What better way to get out and find some cache loot. Been striking out on quite a few DNFs, but in the last couple of weeks I have found just shy of a 100 caches. Lot of fun, hope to find more before I have to go back to work and face those 6 day work weeks.

Welcome from a fellow ATXan! :)

I started geocaching with my phone in 2011 using the Garmin app, but lost interest. Got the geocaching app and enjoy it. I like the puzzle caches most and a friend at work makes solving the puzzles great. I have yet to hide a cache, but getting some ideas.

So, this is my first night lurking, but I got sucked in.

Russell

hi my name is teresa im 26 and live in the shelton ct area i am very new to geocaching and would like to buddy up with another local to go on a few hunts. i do not drive or have a car but am willing to give gas money i also have a backpack that i have been filling with all kinds of small treasures so that if something is taken something else is left in its place.

Edited by teresagramesty

Hi, I'm Jamie, living in Otago, NZ. I've just gone "Premium" after a couple of years of caching struggling with notes and hints scribbled on little bits of paper. This looks like a good forum. I'll try to chip in when I feel I've something useful to add.

Happy caching :):anitongue::) jamien

Hi! I'm Rebecca and I live in Illinois. I learned about geocaching a couple of years ago, but never pursued it. A couple of weeks ago, my friend brought it up to me and it sounded like a great idea. Last week, I found my first cache. I can't wait to go on my next geocaching adventure! :laughing:

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :P

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Actually i m new to forum posting but it sound great.

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :P

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Actually i m new to forum posting but it sound great.

My name is jhon and i belong to Orlando FL......

Hello everyone, I'm obenheimer. I'm brand new to geocaching, joining just today. I'm trying not to get overwhelmed on my first day. I haven't tried to find anything yet, because I had no idea what I was looking for. I have talked to several friends who have been doing this for a while and have gotten some good info from them. Over the next few days I'm going to get out there and try to find my first cache. I look forward to talking and getting to know people on these forums and enjoying this hobby.

Edited by obenheimer

Hi there! I'm Char1ieJ... from southeastern NC / northeastern SC. I live and work in the Whiteville / Loris / Myrtle Beach areas. I'm a 49yo married father of three, certified computer geek who is an rabid semi-pro photographer. :laughing:

I just started geocaching after off & on thoughts of the hobby for almost a year. laughhead turned me on to the idea, but I didn't really start looking into it until I decided to come up with a hobby my 12yo son (newly registered as FuryF0x) and I could do together. Ya see, I had a major heart attack in July, 2012, so my priorities have changed. I need the exercise, love any excuse to shoot photos and wanted to spend more of my time with him.

Anyway, we started the great adventure last Tuesday evening, conquering our first cache - EZTrak's Strolling Through History (a multi-part Mystery Cache) in Tabor City, NC. We were immediately hooked -- and have since logged eight more caches, plus a pathtags coin, a GeoCoinClub coin and a 2006 released Geocoin Trackable that's seen almost 22,000 miles on its trip thus far.

This week, we are going to release our first Travel Bug, complete with a brand new cache in the Myrtle Beach area. :anibad: I'm looking forward to the 12.12.12 MB event -- and meeting a lot of you in person.

FWIW, I activated a Travel Bug on my vehicle last night. I know those aren't always popular, but I thought it might get discovered at the MB event, along with year round tourists in the area.

If you're close by and want to add a caching friend to your list, hmu.

THANKS!

Char1ieJ

Hey all;

I'm not a very frequent lurker but I'll introduce myself - I've only posted once previously re: a technology issue, but enjoy talking about geocaching and am starting to feel more like I know enough to contribute to the conversations, so I might be on the forums more.

I'm anarcha77; I'm from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, and I'm a PhD student in my mid-twenties. I found out about geocaching when I saw a logo/link for it on the website of a nearby conservation area and campground. While I haven't made it out to that particular area to go geocaching yet, after following the links I immediately thought it would be an activity I'd like to try since I really like spending time outside (especially in the warmer months; in the colder months I need a bit more of an excuse to get outside but caching has been great for that too).

Over the past few months I've found my first 60+ caches, gotten at least one friend also hooked on geocaching, and have started making my own first few caches (now, I just have to hide them). I also found out that a friend of mine also enjoys geocaching so we attended one social together and have been out together a few times (including to obtain my first geocoin by completing The Great Tug Trent Geocaching adventure (GC308DA)).

Nice to meet you all!