Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

I would have made an intro post but I didn't see a Introduction forum area.

Glad somebody asked though. It feels kind of weird not introducing myself on a forum for some reason.

Welp, I'm new to Geocaching. I actually found out about it a couple years ago and finally decided to go do it rather than just think about it. I don't have a GPS unit yet so it's been kinda tough. I looked for a particular cache three days in a row. Couldn't find it. I THINK i'm in the right general area but I'm not sure.

Ah well, trying a different place tomorrow. Overall it was fun anyways. I didn't find the cache but I did find this neat little LED light thingy on a busted old bench.

Edited by Vekta

Hello my name is J and ahhh i'm a lurker.whew there I said it ..I can move forward now..I first started caching with my brother in 2002, we only did a couple..I registered in 2008, but I have found more caches this month then I did then..I enjoy lurking here in providence you can find me lurking behind buildings , bushes, parking lots..i'm off to enjoy other topics .. :unsure:

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :unsure:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Hi. I am new to the web site and geocaceing. Just observing and getting a feel of the atmosphere. Haven't purchased a GPS unit yet, but am slowly narrowing my choices. It sounds like a good way to get out doors.

Welcome to all the lurkers :unsure:

I would have made an intro post but I didn't see a Introduction forum area.

There isn't an Introduction Forum but the nearest we have is the Getting Started forum and new cachers often say "hi" there.

...Welp, I'm new to Geocaching. I actually found out about it a couple years ago and finally decided to go do it rather than just think about it. I don't have a GPS unit yet so it's been kinda tough. I looked for a particular cache three days in a row. Couldn't find it. I THINK i'm in the right general area but I'm not sure.

Ah well, trying a different place tomorrow. Overall it was fun anyways. I didn't find the cache but I did find this neat little LED light thingy on a busted old bench.

Obviously I don't know which cache you were looking for but you might have found it... Was it a bit like this?...

Nano%20geocache.JPG

MrsB

Obviously I don't know which cache you were looking for but you might have found it... Was it a bit like this?...

Nano%20geocache.JPG

MrsB

Nope, I found that cache the day after I posted that. Turns out I was WAY out of the cache's general area.(I found the LED light way far from it) I walked through it about 9 times but I was way off. I found it after looking at a Google satellite image of the area.

:unsure: "o0o0o0o...THAT'S were it was. -_-

Edited by Vekta

Hello :] my name is Amanda, and i acutally just signed into the forum today. Ive been caching for about a month and am still very very new, and getting my "force" :] I think i've done pretty well so far, i've found 21. My husband and I go caching together all the time, and have mainly hit up urban areas around our house to get a feel for it. Im very excited to try some more of the hiking and ones a little deeper in the woods. :]. We are located in Des Moines, Iowa, and any tips or hints or ANYTHING are GREATLY appreciated.

Here's a pic, just in case you happen to spot us. Please stop and say hi, and chat for a minute. I would love to make some geocaching friends that arent my current friends that i've turned onto caching.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/JukeBo...meandbrando.jpg (not the best pic)

and this is my best and only caching team!!!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/JukeBoxJane/team.jpg

I'm lurking...just started. Last weekend we set out with only Google maps and a vague idea of what we were doing. We are 3 of 6 and I'm totally hooked. Will need to get some type of GPS b/c I don't think the Google maps are very good. I walked around the tree the silly thing pointed too 9 times and nothing was found except for 3 bunnies, 5 raspberries and some stickers :)

Looking forward to learning more, especially about locals and how to find nanos.

J

Hi. I just started lurking. Only discovered geocaching recently, and found my first this past weekend. It was so much fun. I think I'm hooked. I haven't stopped reading the forums or peeking around at the different caches in my area. I had NO idea that I went by all these hidden treasures ALL the time. You people have been busy! LOL. Lets see if I can catch up :)

I am very new to Geocaching and have started to read the forums to learn more. I play WoW and EQ2 and have a fear of posting on forums due to the flames I have seen on those other forums. I haven't read any flames yet on this forum and hope I miss them. From what I have read so far I have found very informative and helpful. Now I am a little nervious about posting, I get my feeling hurt pretty easy and I am afraid a flame on something I say will turn me away. :laughing:

Hello,

The wife and I saw Geocaching on Law and Order a few years ago, then again on a bumper sticker on a car we saw regularly. Anyway we googled you guys the other day and went looking for a cache the next night...DNF.

Sub story...I belong to a Cigar forum that is filled with my second family (pm me if you want to know which forum, I am not here to advertise). Anyway, I asked them if anyone there participated in Geo-caching. Several doa nd several more have started. I am trading on of my brothers there a box of cigars for a Delorme PN-40 GPS. It should be here on Monday. woo hoo.

We have only found one cache so far, and are really excited to get the GPS and get more under our belts. My team consists of me and my wife, and my 2 kids 5,6. Anyway we'll see you around. We are in Laguna Hills, CA

Teagan Rose here.. just trying to find an answer about Geocoins as we found one in a cache tonight and wish we had left it there. Loving the geocaching though, caught the bug off a twitter friend and started last week - 6 finds so far.. make a walk so much more exciting!! A few of my twitter friends are now doing it too here in the UK and USA.. so it's definitely catching :D

Teagan Rose here.. just trying to find an answer about Geocoins as we found one in a cache tonight and wish we had left it there. Loving the geocaching though, caught the bug off a twitter friend and started last week - 6 finds so far.. make a walk so much more exciting!! A few of my twitter friends are now doing it too here in the UK and USA.. so it's definitely catching :D
Hi, Teagan. Why do you wish you had left the geocoin in the cache? Geocoins and travel bugs are a lot of fun. Are you confused about what to do with it? If so, I very much appreciate you asking! There is a special forum area for Geocoin questions here.

I came accross Geocaching while browesing the app store with my iphone. We were on vacation in Pensacola when I ran accros the app. I downloaded it and we found our first cache within the first 10 minutes are were hooked. On the way home we stopped at best buy and purchased a gps. Once we got back home to Louisiana we introduced our kids to the hobby and we have been going a few times everyweek. Its a great hobby and gets the kids out of the house.

I read the forums daily to learn as much as possible and would like to thank all who have helped so far.

Thanks.

Jason and Renee

Hi, I'm Alex. I'm a retired teacher who's trying to stay in shape since I've always done lots of competitive activities and now I can mix long distance trail running/hiking with some adventure/fun.

I did the 6 day stage race = Goretex TransRockies run (106 miles, all above 9.000 ft.) at age 60. I'll be 62 next week.

I live right next to Pelham Bay Park (largest forest/open water park) in NYC. Am planning to plant more caches than I find/seek since I like following my own paths on the trails there.

089.jpg

Hello! I guess I'm a lurker. Signed up over 2 years ago (!!!), but at the time I did not have a GPS, nor anyone I knew who was a cacher so I never really got into it. But my now-hubby is interested, AND he has an iPhone and a GPS, so we're all set (as soon as his iPhone stops dying/rebooting itself when I try to use it for searching).

Finally started really searching for caches on Aug 14th, and so far we're 5/8 over the weekend. lol I guess that's ok for some newbs. :laughing:

Happy Caching! (hah! that spells 'Ca-ching!' neat... that's how I feel when I find one.. like... "CA-CHING! Winnerrrr!!!"... yes, I'm actually a loser...) <_<

I'm a newbie, and just venturing out of the "Getting Started" topics, but I just wanted to say that the GC forums are the first I've participated in as anything but a spectator sport. If anyone thinks that they're in a hostile topic, they can always go to the getting started topics and help us newbies--folks are real nice there!

Hi

I've just taken up geocaching in the last couple of days, great fun :anibad:

New here this is only my second post, reading the posts in the forum is helping me make some sense of everything...

Steve

Your profile pic just brought me back > 20 years! I believe this is the same man. When I was 17 and waiting tables at a Friendly's restaurant in West Springfield, MA, our dishwasher was a man who had his 15 minutes of fame after being featured on some T.V. show (possibly Ripley's Believe it or Not?) as "World's Ugliest Man". I swear this is him.

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :anibad:

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :rolleyes:

Well now, I am one of the Lurkers. Just started caching by using our 1350T Garmin and amazingly have found two caches. I should improve now that I have found a Colorado 300 (at very reasonable price) once I figure out how to use it.

I read a lot in the forums just to better understand what I got myself into. So far it is fun and frustrating, the frustrating part is when the find is supposed to be easy and I can't find it. I fear it will be an obsession soon as I already like it that much. I have just tried to run my first PQ and was absolutely amazed at the ease of getting it and how quickly it loaded into the Gps. I go by the name of Old1Hunter but hopefully will be included in the wifes account name "Eddyandme". It would make my life much better as I like to eat.

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for about 2 days solid now (even though I joined a year ago), so it was about time I posted. I'm a total NOOB to geocaching, but really think I'm hooked because it appeals to both my nerd side and my active side. So went out yesterday and think I fell in love with a Garmin Oregon that I am really itching to buy. I really like all of the nice things that everyone has to say about it. I think I will really like the "paperless geocaching" feature among other things.

Anyways, I hope everything works out. I need to get my wife hooked and it will be a lot easier to justify the Oregon :D

Edited by TFinleyosu

Not sure if I've posted this before, but name's Dave & I'm in the grand valley (Palisade to be precise), & not unlike The Finleys, I'm a bit of a noob , even though I have 2 1/2 finds ( got to one, but didn't get to the hardware). Wondering if there was anyone else in the Grand Junction/ Palisade area that might be interested in doing something/

Hi,

We have been geocaching for a couple of years now. We are very fond of puzzle caches and ammo cans hidden in the woods. Our "team" consists of two adults (as seen in the avatar), but we often bring my husband's kids (aged 11 and 9) with us on caching trips too. They love it when there's some trade items in the cache.

We got into geocaching because of my brother and his wife. They convinced us to try it, and now I think we're even more hooked than they are.

Of the two of us, I'm the one with the worst case of geocaching addiction, and I'm the one in charge of all planning and logging etc. And my husband never visits the forums either. So any post from "us" will be from me. I like to read the forums to see what's being discussed and also to absorb some knowledge. I'll gladly help if I can, provided that someone else hasn't answered the question already.

We live in Århus, Denmark.

Best,

Mette

heard about Geocaching a while back, registered then did nothing. I am bigtime into off-roading and when friends of our invited my wife & I out on a Geocache run that included 4x4ing we were hooked.

We work well as a team. The wife does the research and navigates, and I am the one who sticks his head & hands into strange places

My wife, Buglet67 and I just recently discovered geocaching a couple weeks ago. I was browsing new apps for the droid when I stumbled accross a review of c:geo. Reading the reviews of course prompted the question, "Just what the hell is 'geocaching'? So I discovered this site and couldn't believe that there are people that actually do this sort of thing.

This is exactly the type of thing that I would always liked to have done, but never knew about it until now. So I was obviously very happy to have discovered this hobby purely on accident by looking for new apps for my phone.

We only have 3 finds as of yet, but we have only had time to go on 3 hunts. Been having a great time so far and plan on going on more hunts and introducing my friends to it as well.

:laughing:

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :rolleyes:

:laughing:

Just started geocaching yesterday with the grandkids. I think we are hooked - going out agin today. I keep seeing references to mugglers - what are they?

wow! at last a voice so to speak. I'm 84 and new and I really need help. Trying to find out how to post on GPS forum. Bought a 62st and after a while my waypoint manager disappearedfrom the menu. also have trouble getting a pic on an intended earthcache site. not exactly Pc wise.

gpwhite@shaw.ca

lurk.gif

Been here less then a year but i read the threads a lot. I am a geek, gamer and father. I learned about geocaching a few years ago and one day this year I ran into the bookmark again and said.....i should sign up.

1 find and I was hooked. So given that I am new I only have 1 real post on the forums and only 30ish finds under my belt. I am headed to my first event in Oct in MA. I don't really know anyone that caches IRL so it will be nice to meet some other people to talk about it. So far I am loving it.

Thanks for all the hides!

lurk.gif

Edited by nimrodblack

Hey guys i Live in Hamilton New Zealand! I have been geocaching since january this year and loving it!! I am 20 and currently studying at uni. Is there any other students out there? I am looking to go overseas as soon as i finsh my degree on a geocaching OE any one else looking to do that or done one already?

Our first cache was found without a GPS. It just happened that there was a cache just behind our house so we looked on the map to pinpoint it and then went back and looked at the back of our house to see where we were and we were within 5 ft. I use a Nuvi 200 and a eTrex H. Nuvi for driving and Etrex for final location.

Hello from France

Been geocaching for a couple of months now after hearing about it on another forum. Being keen orienteers in the UK we couldn't believe it has been on the go for 10 years and we hadn't heard about it. Good news is there are lots of caches in our area of Rural France. As of this post we have found 78 caches using just a map and compass. I reckon when we get to 100 we'll reward ourselves with a GPS device and revisit all the "didn't find it"s. ;)

Look forward to reading more on the forum and hopefully not lurking so much.

Simon

Howdy hoo....

I'm Noob-cacher just found 4th and 5th today \o/. I'm also a hardcore warcraft raider and wanted to point out that from my admittedly small experience of these forums I can tell you the "flaming" and "being mean" found in these forums paled in insignificance to that that I'm used to over in wow...

So why do i bother poking my head up to say such things... Relatively speaking it's not that big a problem here and besides you cannot EVER eliminate ALL "flamers" or "trolls" the admin required is just too much and the more people the site/hobbie attracts, the more of these strange creatures you will find stumbling in.

SO... the choices are, imo, have faith that the society is generally well stocked with decent, like-minded ppl who are here to share and appreciate what I find to be an AWESOME hobbie and never, EVER FEED THE TROLLS...

OR, lurk in the shadows and never engage anyone or anything found on these forums simply absorb the bits you enjoy.

Most importantly perhaps, never argue with a stupid person, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience! :P

<3 Yall

Edited by Dreadwyn

Hello!

We're an American (me) and German (my husband) family (+ Jr Puddington) living in the East Midlands of England.

As far as geocaching goes- I started in 2008 on my own account, but stopped after a couple of months as I had limited mobility (am currently working on obtaining a UK driving license! Bit tough doing all of it over again as an adult! Shame I can't just transfer my old license like so many other nationalities are able to do here, but oh well) and we didn't have a huge number of caches in the local area.

Two years and a baby later, someone at a toddler group mentioned it offhand and I remembered how much I enjoyed the hobby. I created a new account (The Puddingtons, sadly not really our name) and discovered there's loads more caches around now. While I read on the forums that some people dislike the new generation of cachers with GPS on their mobile phones, I think it has to be credited for some of this new local interest. Which I think, for the most part, is a good thing. :D

We're pretty slow with our finds, but I think it's down to us being a bit choosy about where we go and what we look for. My husband isn't terribly excited by the micros, so we often plan a day (or, a few hours, or whatever Jr Punddington allows) out at a park where there might be larger ones. I'm a bit obsessed with moving travel bugs around, and wish we'd run into them more often. :ph34r:

We still use an ancient GPS we've had for years, which we've installed some Linux-based software on. It's not ideal by a long shot, but my husband is an engineer and he likes fiddling with that sort of thing!

Also, I (Mrs Puddington) am almost always going to be the one posting on forums, if any posting is done at all.

That's all for now!

Hey all... newbie lurker, here. Well, I am not new to lurking, just new to caching. :laughing:

I'm in Collierville, TN, just south-east of Memphis. Married. 4 kids. 2 cats. Not enough free time, but I am taking this up anyway. If nothing else, I am now getting a little fresh air and good ole fashioned Vitamin D.

Been wanting to try this for year, finally took the plunge and tried it.

I did my first 4 caches Friday night, 7 on saturday (Mrs. Sternen even ejoyed the day with me, bonus!), and 2 quick PNG's today. I'm hooked. :D