Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

I usually join a forum and jump right in and say stupid things like, "what's with the speed caching? A stroll thru the park and 24 finds are made. Whoa, slow down there, partner." OTOH, I joined less than a month ago and I'm obsessed. I've already learned things in the forum section that I didn't see in the general FAQ section. I've got a lot to learn and will now look for the speed caching discussion. :) Thanks for this topic.

We're not really lurkers.......we're newbys! We just bought our GPS and found our first cache. It was so easy, we probably could have found it without a GPS but we know we need it as we tried a few other caches and on't think we even came close to finding them WITH the GPS.

First question is, where is the puzzle when you want to try your hand at the ? caches? We didn't know when we started the other day that those are probably for the more seasoned geocachers but now that we tried, we need to know how the puzzle works. We don't see any puzzle pieces nor clues. Where's the puzzle?

Also, what is the new magazine letters.........Now, I can't remember them. GTF or TFT or GFT or something like that. What a memory, huh?

Anyway, we know we've found a great hobby for us as we're fulltime RVers and travel all around anyway. We are retired and a married couple for 42 years. We need something to do together and I think this is a great way for us to get out, get a little exercise and do something we both like.

thanks,

Kathy

caka2

Heyup! My name's Peter and I'm I was a lurker :anibad: I'm also a noob. I'm currently based in Guildford, Surrey, UK. I discovered 'Caching on New Year's Day and am now hooked. As I normally spend most of my time joined at the hip to one sort of computer or another I thought this would be an ideal way to get out into the countryside and indulge my techie-ness at the same time. With a bit of luck I'll be hiding a cache next month so if you're in the Guildford, Surrey area please look out for it..

I'm finding the forums very friendly, and thankfully mostly free of the "RTFM" attitude on many sites - that does a lot to encourage people to keep coming back and it gives a great community feel as well.

Nice to meet you all, and I'll be posting on a regular basis soon..

I'm new to this forum. I only have 170+ finds, so new to caching. Lurker?, YES! I checked out some other discussions for an answer. Some of the more recent post have had to much "EGO" in the posts so I did not write anything as I did not want to get my head bitten off . At 1st I had thought the forums were for getting answers, but have found out it is a social network.

I like to read the story's of other cachers, like have you ever been stopped by the police, the TB page and when I'm ready I will look up how to hide a cache.

About lurking for me I feel I'm not experanced enough to respond to some questions and I get better and understand the unwriten rules I will post more.

Also I need spell check as you can tell. Hope this helped

Hello all,

My name is Don. I don't think I qualify as a lurker. I only come in every 3-4 weeks and don't post enough (read: hardly ever). When I do come in I find some interesting information.. sometimes, with all the off-topic stuff in a thread, getting to the information I want is like caching with a 30-foot accuracy rating but it all works out in the end.

Don :slipping quietly back into the shadows now:

Hi,

I just started caching again after a six year break. I started back in 2003 and had fun taking my niece and nephews out to find them. Since I'm out of town for a few months, I recently downloaded the Iphone app and have been hunting them again. If there's anyone in the Biloxi Mississippi area that wants to join up for a few caches, give me a holler!

Richard

Hello! I admit I've been lurking for the past couple weeks. It all started.....when I was on a camping website and saw this group called "Geo Caching Campers"....huh???? I've never heard about this before!?!? So I googled it.....long story short....yesterday I won a bid for a GPS and I'm waiting to go on my first hunt. I hope to meet others in my area in SW Iowa.

McTitus

Just wanted to take a sec and introduce ourselves. My spouse and I just recently got into the hobby. I would like to take the opportunity to thank Antelope_Hunter and his spouse for introducing us to the hobby. Turns out we have a cache hidden (by someone else) right behind our property. After weeks of seeing strangers come and go, I sort of trapped the couple mentioned into telling me what they were up to. While they were initially reluctant to do so... they explained it to us! I have to say, we live in Oklahoma and they are from Nebraska and we would have never met if it wasnt for geocaching. They are wonderful people, and we now have some new friends!!

I and my son hunt so we were already familiar with the Garmins, and this is already turning into an obsession.

I have read a lot of info here, and haven't yet been entangled in the "nastiness" people keep mentioning.

We are already corresponding with others in our area and across the country. So far... I have found the people involved with hunting or hiding to be of a "certain type". i.e. Honest, friendly, adventure loving, ect...

I would like to take this time to thank all the people who hide, Review, and hunt these caches. Most of us have busy lives, and for people to take the time is something to be applauded.

Thank you... all of you who have helped us get started, and given us something to hunt when other hunting seasons are closed!!!!!!!!!

Steve and Diana

p.s. if you are in the Western Oklahoma area... drop us a line!!!

Hi All,

I've been interested in caching for a while, and my wife and son got me a Garmin Vista Hcx for Christmas, so needless to say I've been on almost everyday gathering information and downloading caches. My 5 year old son is my caching partner, and we've gone out a few times allready, and can't wait for the weather to get a little nicer so we can spend more time caching. We are from the Johnstown, PA area, so if anyone local knows of events, let me know. Thanks,

Dave :)

Hi all...don't know if I qualify as a lurker or just a newbie... ;) I just discovered this hobby while looking thru a family fun magazine and thought what a great way to get my kids outdoors. So, we've been on 3 hunts so far and found 2 of the three. The third it was just too dark and too darn cold to keep looking so we'll be going back to that one. ;) But so far I'm hooked and can't wait for the summer and to do a little traveling to discover caches and new interesting places. So glad I found this place. :ph34r:

Hello all.

I guess I fall into the common definition of lurker. This account is for myself (Justin, my girlfriend (Karen) and our dog (Willy). Karen saw a friend of hers post about geocaching on facebook, she did a google search on it, and we had ordered our first GPSr within a week. I'm already wanting to upgrade it, and we haven't even used it once yet. The two of us work for the same company, that pays us to travel the country. I've been on the road for five years, Karen was with me for two then took one year off. For those two years we pulled an RV, but now that she's back we haven't taken it out yet. As soon as we do, then our dog will be back in tote with us. Our first thought on geocaching was that it was going to be an incentive to walking the dog. A reason for us to get out there and not just some quick lap around the RV park, but actually an interesting hunt in the parks. In the mean time, I've been listening to the podcacher podcasts, reading the forums, and doing lots of research.

I am very new to the hobby, but not new at all to forums. The one thing that seemed really odd to me, was that this forum doesn't have an introduction room? Most of the ones I go to have a dedicated place to introduce yourself as a newbie.

Hi all,

I am very new to all of geocaching. To be honest I haven't actually done it yet but am very interested in getting started. My Christmas gift to myself this year (I know its a bit selfish) was going to be a Handheld GPS. So for the past several months I have been narrowing my choices down and have decided to get the Oregon 550. I know its pricey but it seems to have all the features that I would like.

One question that i haven't seen asked or answered, maybe I haven't looked hard enough, is can you still successfully geocache with the base maps provided or should I be getting the 550T model with the Canada topo's.

To all who post, thank you for providing me with the information I needed to get me started with this hobby.

Cheers

Hi all,

Marjis from Southern Finland, lurking until today. I've been caching a little over a year now, so still a newbie. :ph34r: I'm a little over 30, almost a cat lady because I'm living alone with my two cats. :D My avatar is my older one, a lazy and fat siamese. Looking for new experiences and loving the nature. Yesterday I was hiking in the snow (half a meter of it) with two friends, found ten caches.

Another UK based noob here saying hello.

Have just got my GPSr and have been furiously reading up on all the do's and dont's before heading out to try and find my first caches on Saturday, there's so much information on these forums its hard to take it all in!

I've been fascinated by this mysterious sport for a while, Mrs Defender and I both enjoy the outdoors, so I've persuaded her that we should take the plunge and get geocaching. We've also got a TB to release too ... maybe you'll come across him one day.

Hello to all,

New here. New to geocaching. Got an Oregon 550 for X-mas gift. Very outdoorsy into backpacking & kayaking. Wife and 2 young daughters (6 and 9) enjoy the same. The girls went on their first Grand Canyon trip (3 nights) with us last fall. We are all (especially me and the kiddos) enjoying the new activity of geocaching.

Glad to be here and glean some knowledge from the vets and newbies.

Lurker here. Only been around since last summer, so don't have a whole lot to say at this point. Reading mostly, but trying to learn the tricks. And this is probably one of the only forums that gets past the firewalls at work, so it's a great way to pass a slow day.

Have had a blast so far having geocached in the US and Germany and have discovered places I probably wouldn't have otherwise...even in my backyard.

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :o

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

HI. My G/f , Dog (Yes..I DID say my Dog) , and I have just started Caching. We have kind of emigrated (and added this) from/to Letterboxing. The 3 of us are enjoying the added "Challenge" of Caching.

D

Hi everyone, my name's Ian and I'm a lurker. (Is this an AA meeting thread or what?). Anyway, I've been thinking about Geocaching for a couple of years and recently took the plunge. Just hid my first cache and got a couple more in the planning stages. Bought myself an Oregon 550 a couple of weeks ago and it's totally brilliant Just started collecting Geocoins, also having some personal coins created, the artwork is finished and gone to the factory so the dies can be made, can't wait to see my sample coins before production starts. Well folks, that's me done.

I've been around for a bit (on another group account and then this one) but I like to read and learn and absorb info from the very knowledgeable people. Just due to life circumstances I've been unable to go out and cache as regularly as I hoped.

I love the outdoors as does my fiancee so once we thaw out here I'm hoping to rake in the caches and get a few good ones out there myself!

Hi fellow Lurkers! I'm Stacey, and consider myself a lurker. While I don't read posts daily like some others do, I stop by on a weekly basis or so.

Like many others, I don't usually reply on forums because of a lack of knowledge, and because I don't really want to get chewed out if I say something thats not exactly right.. well and I wouldn't want to say something thats not right and give someone else bad advice! haha

Thanks for reading, and giving all us a chance to introduce ourselves!

Hi, I would like to introduce myself.

My name is Doug

but alot of my very close friends and family call me mutt. I have been questioned as to why the 7469 on my nick well a the time I was on the 7.4th mile of Rt 69 so there's that and a second part.

I was accidently introduced to geocaching by finding a container while out on a fishing trip with my cousin's.

I believe Beaverland was my first find as it was around 06 when we spotted this. unless there is another within this area that was archived since then. I will have to venture out to this area agian sometime soon to make sure. Would love a revisit. That was when I first heard of geocaching.

I would love to find more people around the area that do cache & would love to make new friends in the caching community.

Edited by mutt7469

Hi All,

I only come to forums once in a while. I have been mostly spending my time on the regular GC pages trying to figure out where to go to get some caching in. I've been caching since 2006 and love this sport/game. Getting out and moving around is a great benefit. Most cachers I've met have been pleasant and very helpful if I ask questions. Thats about it in a nutshell. Have a good day caching everyone.

Hi!

My name is Joe and I'm a journalism student at Northwestern trying to learn about the geocaching community for a group project. I recently went after a cache in Evanston, Illinois and I'd like to continue becoming involved in the community and learning about the members.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could take one minute to fill out this survey to help my group and I find out more about geocachers.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/u.northwe...aU1FIZ2pfZkE6MA

Thanks!

Newest of the new. Found out about this sport while on a Goldwing forum and since I had a Garmin 750 already I figured I'd give it a try. I'm not sure who is hooked worse, me or SWMBO. I think our early success rate (18 of 20) in the last three days, may have attributed to our enjoyment. I hope this enthusiasm dosen't wane since I jumped in and became a member. See ya on the trail.

Edited by BBStackerz

Hi all!! My name is Amanda, and I'm a newbie to geocaching with my husband, David. As you can see by my join date, I started lurking long ago!! I never did get around to buying a GPS, so my interest in geocaching kind of fell by the wayside. Not anymore, as we just purchased our first GPS today! Looking forward to posting more and more as I become a true geocacher.

Hi everyone, just saying Hi.

I am not specifically a lurker, but, been wanting to start posting on the forum and contributing to the community more now that I have been caching and am learning the ropes so to speak.

Still new to the hobby and thoroughly enjoying the challenges put before me.

Just wish I could meet others in my local area who also enjoy it, fed up with mentioning it to people and getting baffled expressions, so, will check the forum for people seeking out friends to go geocaching with and see what happens.

I shall be around more now that I have made a move to start chatting on here.

Hi All! I'm completely new to this Geocaching and have been out the last few days like I was beginning an addiction lol.... The girlfriend and our girls love to go on hunts local to the Mid Eastern, Ohio area. I have been using my Motorola Droid shamelessly with a couple of apps installed. My Magellan Gps may find daylight again on a hunt soon but i haven't found the need to use it yet as most of our caches found have been local and spot on to our current gps methods. I have a fortunate amount of time on my hands as I put in 36 hours ata time at work on the weekends and have Mon-Fri off.. Yes I'm a Firefighter among other things. lol Well thats my Hi, Hey and How are Ya!

I've been lurking since about Oct 2009.

I only recently (last couple of days) started posting here and there. Not a whole lot of activity in the Mid-Atlantic forum for Long Island.

So I'm pretty sure my lurking days are over.

Haven't really noticed and hostility yet, but I'm sure I'll come across some eventually. I was under the impression that most geocachers were friendly to each other. I guess not... :D

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

Hi, my name is Crub Frush. I am new. I am interested in placing and finding casches for adults. I thought of putting a casche in my area with items ranging from $5 to $25. Are there any casches like this?

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

Hi, my name is Crub Frush. I am new. I am interested in placing and finding casches for adults. I thought of putting a casche in my area with items ranging from $5 to $25. Are there any casches like this?

Seems a little pricey. Most caches include nominal-priced items.

I'm a lurker as I just started geocaching late January of this year. I try to come here and read topics a couple times a week so I can learn more about this wonderful hobby.

We're from Canada so we've been trying to find the caches that are winter-friendly. Spring looks like it is on it's way so hopefully we'll be able to find more soon.

Hello Everyone - joined up last week and have so far found 11 caches :) am are having a heap of fun

Been using my iPhone but decided to upgrade so I ordered a Garmin etrex H ...... but have since changed my mind and ordered a new Garmin Oregon 200 as I found this connects up with geocaching.com

Trojanknight (Beau)