Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Don't know if I'm actually a lurker...have been caching for the past few years and really enjoy it. I have found myself going to the forums and looking up topics that interest me, but, generally, any questions or comments I have are addressed already.

I have noticed that the conversations do get nasty sometimes, and I think that's why the new people don't want to ask what may seem to be"dumb" questions to the old salty dogs that have been at it for a while.

There are, however, obviously highly intelligent and empathetic posters out there, judging from some of the posts/replies.

I think I'll lurk a while longer before I jump in!!

Hello -

I got involved in geocaching through a friend (isn't always like that?) a few years ago. I didn't have a GPSr, but went along with them on several hunts. We soon moved, and while I had always intended on continuing, it took almost 4 years to get back into it.

So a couple of weeks ago I broke down and bought a GPSr (FINALLY) and started up again. I took my older 2 kids (I have 3) with me for the first outing. My son loved it, my daughter liked it, but not enough to go again. Since that one, we've been out several times and my son and I have just really enjoyed it. He mostly enjoys getting out and then swapping 'treasures' when we find one.

I usually try to take the camera with me, and take pictures as we go. I also have been keeping a blog about our hunts - http://mcelroygeocache.blogspot.com/. Feel free to check it out. We'll post more as we go. We try to get out every couple of days.

I have been reading through the forums because we are new to geocaching and I'm just trying to learn and see what's going on. We (me, my husband, and 2 kids) got our first find about 2 weeks ago and were instantly hooked. We were borrowing a friend's gps so now we are just waiting until payday to purchase one ourselves so we can get back out there...Ummm...that's about all there is to say about me....this account is actually for my whole family so sometimes it's me on here and sometimes it's my husband....

Hi. I first heard (or rather read) about geocaching when a member of my mom's club listed it as a family hobby in her introduction printed in our club newsletter. I'd never heard of it so I googled it. I also stumbled across letterboxing. I tried this first as it didn't require me to purchase any high-tech gadgets and also because I was already into rubberstamping. Well, I finally got around to getting a gpsr....too bad I didn't do it when I first heard about the hobby three years ago...I have lived in three states since then. Oh, the missed opportunities! I letterbox and geocache with my husband and two kids. I'm also trying to get two of my friends, my brother and my dad interested too!

Hello all. We are a small family of four from nothern michigan. We mostly cache around home. There are many near enough that our summer is going to be full of fun. :anibad:

We have only recently found this web site and the real geocaching website and found out that just our scavanger hunts at home can be even better. We stopped having our own and are now looking to others for our fun. :anitongue:

I have read the forums in search of help in picking a GPS, we have found some caches without the assistance of a GPS thus far. Boy is that hard to do, and frustrating. :laughing:

Our seven year old son has suggested that we buy one for the harder caches.

Hi everyone.

I just started geocaching less than a week ago after reading a post on Reddit -- no, not because I figured it would get me a hot chick, but because it sounded fun. So far I've done 3 of them.

I'd actually like to try and find others in the Miami area who want to do it together. I've got my younger sister into it as well.

Edited by realmadrid2727

I've lurked the forums before on a couple of occasions. I read about Geocaching in a local newspaper in Bucks County, PA about five or six years ago. I kept meaning to get into it, never did between a move, a new job and such.

Now back home in SCV, I have acquired a GPS and take the kids out (I sign the logs Teaa + 2). We love it!

However, lately we're a little frustrated. We seem to be having a run of bad luck and not finding caches when we go out. I think our last two times no luck. Is this normal?

Son loves the use of the term muggles, btw :(

Guilty of being "lurkers". We read the forums for over a month before joining. Even though we are new, we read the forums just to get information before we even started. They were a great source of information for us. After awhile, we made a few posts to get more detailed information from others. Everybody has been very helpfull, and honest with us. It's the posts, and answers, that encouraged us to get into the sport. The people that were rude or offensive, we just ignored. They were few and far between. That's just our opinions. Thanks.

Greetings from Toronto, Ontario!

I first heard of this a couple of years ago from a friend, and it was interesting, but things in life just got very complicated and frustrating, and promptly forgot about it while things got in order. A few years later, things have become "uncomplicated" and I live in Toronto now after moving up here from Niagara Falls, NY.

Recently I got a Garmin Nuvi 265WT for wife and I to use when we go off driving to places unknown (and to use for my job), and when i registered it, it had something about geocaching on it. Remembering back, I was instantly interested again.

Talked to my wife about it, since she mentioned wanting to go out walking/hiking more, and she was pretty interested too.

So we were down visiting my parents this past weekend, and on Friday we decided to go off and look for a couple which were literally at the end of their street. Searched for one for a while, but gave up after about 10 minutes as there were people working in the area. Walked further down the Niagara River, and after about 20 minutes of not really knowing what to look for, we found it! Now she's hooked as well.

Spent 4-5 hours the next day looking for more around Niagara Falls. There was one that escaped my notice, so we were talking to my brother and sister-in-law about it around dinner, and they wanted to go with us to look for it. You guessed it, now THEY'RE hooked too!

Then the day after that, my brother and I head out to Grand Island, NY and found 5 more in the morning. We would have kept going except the clouds started to look pretty nasty.

By the end of the weekend, I logged 12 finds. I don't think thats too shabby considering we were all new, didn't really know what exactly we were looking for, and all were new to the GPS.

Now wife is looking at travel bugs and geocoins, and I'm looking at a smaller handheld (Garmin Legend or Vista or something of that nature).

Lurkers??? :D

I am relatively new to GeoCaching and read and observe more than become involved. I had my Groundspeak account before I downloaded the GeoCaching app to my iphone due to summer update.

Still learning through reading everyone's post. I didn't know what a "lurker" was- sounded dangerous,

;) but reading posts I realized "lurkers" are readers who enjoy reading the interaction of other readers. :P

Hello everybody! I read about geocaching in a magazine a year or so ago, but didn't a GPS and couldn't afford one. recently I won one in a competition, so I decided to try it out. the rest is history. assuming you're the sort of person who considers 4 finds "History". :D

hhhmmmm, you mean there could be someone lurking right now?? like inmy bushes?? wait I dont have bushes, we took them out last year....

No I cant stay on topic, thank goodness you said there was no topic! I'm a geocacher, thats why I'm here, I tend to rant apon occasion... like now

I have become addicted to this geocaching thing... more so than my internet poker.. which is odd.. I got my husband and kids into it as well. We love the outside, its like the inside but better!

I recieved my first geostripes, though they felt more like geotrenches... darn thorns were blockig my way, why was I wearing shorts?? because I hadnt planned on hiking back int the woosd but I cant pass them up.. I have the app on my phone and find myself caching untill by battery beeps at me... or maybe that was just the sounds that were coming from my lips after looking for an hour for a chache when it started thindering and lightening.. but did I give up... Noooo.. we werent leaving till it was found. Then Success...... and we narrowly escaped a monsoon of sorts.... :huh:

oops.. still ranting

Hi,

my cacher name is BlackforestMarty. Because I live in the Blackforest area in Germany - and I'm a lurker. I started off with geocaching on March, 29th 2009. I know this date because on March 28th, I took a course on Geocaching that was held in the town I live in. I have heard of geocaching before an thought it might be something I could like - even though I didn't have a gpsr myself. On March 29th I found my first cache. I needed to borrow the gpsr of my father. I was hooked instantly.

I'm really a lurker for serveral reasons.

1. I know I'm new to the sport - so I need to learn a lot.

2. I don't want to post questions before having checked if they hadn't been posted before

3. By reading the posts of others I get answers to questions I didn't know I had... :D

So for a couple of weeks I have been lurking - and will be for some more I guess. Hope this is not annoying to anybody.

Martin

I first signed up at geocaching.com ages ago, when I wanted to learn about the sport, and to research GPS units.

My boyfriend finally gave me a GPS as a gift this spring (he called it an act of mercy when he realized just how easily I can get lost) for trail riding in the mountains.

Naturally I turned to geocaching as a way to learn how to use it before actually relying on it in the mountains. And now I'm just a teeny tiny bit addicted to geocaching. Really. Not much.

Haven't been able to get the boyfriend interested, so the joke now is, "I'm going to go verify some coordinates are still there..."

Nice to see you all here.

Hey y'all,

I'm just lurking until I get a "feel" of the forum. My girlfriend, Robin and I decided to check geocaching out a couple of weeks ago and are having a ball with it. We are both outdoor oriented and love hiking so it fits us like a tattoo. It's also a great way to learn how to use the gps I bought a year ago and couldn't figure out.

We live in North Florida, spend a lot of time boating, fishing and exploring all the parks in our area. I suppose you could call us naturalists and environmentalists.

From what I've read here so far I would say you have a friendly, helpful and knowledgeable community. Looking forward to learning and sharing with you.

Hi, my name is Mike and I tend to lurk a lot more than I post in any forum. I'm 24, I live in San Diego, and work outdoors so I tend to get some geocaching done while I'm "in the area." I started geocaching in 2004 but had a long 5 year hiatus until recently, with the rise of GPS-enabled phones. I suppose all I needed was the paperless ability, which I get with my phone, though I'm looking to get a real handheld GPS because it kills my battery like crazy.

With that said, time to hide back in the shadows, haha :laughing:

Edited by Mike_Hawk

:laughing: I am a lurker only because I have nothing to add and everything to learn about geocaching. My total caches found is now ..... uh ..... none. However my grandson and I are going out tomorrow to search using the geomate.jr. I bought him for his birthday.

Oh, I also bought an etrex H for myself but found it quite daunting and hard to fathom. Took me 2 hours of Google searches to discover how to put coordinates in. Is it really THAT time consuming to do?? Gee.

Well, that's it for here in Louisiana.

and yes, I am legallysane !!!

Hi! I'm Raenne (pronounced "rain", in case you were concerned about that sort of thing ;P ). I'm female, 29, married with a 2 year old son. I work in a hospital laboratory as a lab tech. When your doctor orders lab tests like blood sugars, cholesterol, or PSAs on your blood, I'm the one that does the tests.

If I remember correctly, I found out about geocaching a few years ago while doing a Google search for "scavenger hunt" trying to find ideas. I only remembered it this year while at an electronics store and saw GPSs on sale. I came back to geocaching.com and the rest is history.

I lurk. I am a lurker :laughing:

HI,

my name is reasix, so when you check your caches you will find a G.I.Joe guy as I was in the military(af) so this is me in different forms, and log books only i sign as reasix.

What I am wondering is how long before I find out if my cache has been approved to be posted.

This is a good way to learn how to use your GPS and to get out and get some exercise in and away from in front of your tv.

SO get out and have some fun

reasix

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :P

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :P

Hi, dont know where top go to ask this ? What is a Florida style cache? Mandrakis...

New Geocacher here, well not real new I did it back when the kick got started, got out of it and now i am reading up on it and suprised to see how popular this hobby is!! WOW..

I did some looking on here for legal cach contents. I read the guidlines for hiding and understand those but what i am looking for are "treasure" caches the cool finds with cool contents the treasure chest sort a speak. I am also considering hiding some caches with some good value contents for people to have if they find them. ie lottery tickits, electronic equipement ect ect

Are there caches of this sort out there and if so how do you locate them on the web site to then go look for them?

Just a question

Thanks

New Geocacher here, well not real new I did it back when the kick got started, got out of it and now i am reading up on it and suprised to see how popular this hobby is!! WOW..

I did some looking on here for legal cach contents. I read the guidlines for hiding and understand those but what i am looking for are "treasure" caches the cool finds with cool contents the treasure chest sort a speak. I am also considering hiding some caches with some good value contents for people to have if they find them. ie lottery tickits, electronic equipement ect ect

Are there caches of this sort out there and if so how do you locate them on the web site to then go look for them?

Just a question

Thanks

Hi! New to Geocaching and the forum. I am from Michigan. I finally bought a hand-held for hunting and thought this would be fun and a great way of getting to know how to use my GPS unit.

By the way is there a lost and found section on the forum? I found a hand-held unit at a geocache in Grand Ledge today (8/27/2009) and would like to get it back to its owner.

Edited by carverman
:P Hi to all, i'm from nr Stafford in UK, only just started geocaching having found an article in a magazine, I'm amazed at what is around me that I never knew, we planned our first day last week and set out today as a family including the dog, we had 5 cache finds and aquired several scratches and stings a list of equipment we'll need for next time, but all thoroughly enjoyed our day. Ju

I have a few posts but I can probably still be considered a lurker.

Just joined and started last week after a friend told me about it (he just started the week before last!).

My husband & I are in NEPA and are lucky enough to have a bunch of caches very close to us which makes it great to start out. And I don't know who's more into it, me or my husband! We both love being with nature so this is the perfect thing for us. Plus, I've always wanted to find buried treasure :blink:

Occasional lurker. Just posted recently (after searching for any prior similar questions btw) and appreciated ALL the perspectives I got in short order--thanks bunches everybody who answered me! :rolleyes:

I have found a lot of helpful responses, advice, and ideas while--I'll call it searching for answers--on the Groundspeak forums.

In addition to all the good, I've also found several people constantly sniping at each other. The sniping, nitpicking, and personal attacks are really unnecessary here. THAT part I really dislike about forums, and I'd wish they could each agree to disagree and just leave it at that. My 2 cents...

Somehow, I've become a lurker as well. Blame it on old age, since I've been into these internets since they began, and never had thin skin -- but after a few years of not really caring about "forums" and the like, I now feel really intimidated by the trolls and haters. So I'm right there with you, gprgrl!

I know (or at least I want to believe) that 90% of forum readers are good, decent, helpful and patient people. But the sad fact of posters is, most are defensive and combative and territorial. Okay, maybe saying "most" is unfair. But a good chunk are!

Anyway, that digression comes compliments of me finally getting the nerve up to post my opinion on a hotly debated thread today, and I'm just bracing myself for the fallout.

Uh, HELLO! I'm new to participating in the sport, but I've been watching it since it started, and always envious of people with those fancy GPS things. Then when my MOM bought one (for her car, of course), I thought, "who is this person I see in the mirror?!" and rushed right out and got one. And now, when I have a particularly good day of chaching, I have a hard time falling asleep because my brain won't turn off.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :laughing:

I guess I am a lurker. I really am not very good with forums. Sometimes I ask questions, but mostly I just look for topics I am interested in. I am fairly new to geocaching and I have loads of questions. I cannot imagine why anyone would argue on this site. Geocaching is so fun. My grandchildren and I love it.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :)

Edited by 3bighouses

I am new to the game (as of this past weekend) - signed on for a free membership and then my brother&sister-in-law upgraded me to a premium membership for my birthday! (Yay - thanks, guys!)

Don't have a GPS yet but my son and husband have also already gotten the bug so we will be getting one shortly - hubby likes the Garmin Colorado 400?? I don't really know - there is so much info to read to try to educate yourself about the best products! That's actually what started me reading the forums...

I'm also a bit confused about the puzzle caches but don't worry, I plan to keep on reading!

Thanks everyone for making all of your experience and knowledge available to us newbies - don't know what we'd do without you :)

I have to say it's been nearly 3 years since I last found a Geocache at all. In that time I have had to archive three of my own caches and have maintenance requests on two others.

Reason being, I sold off my old GPS in 2007.

Good news, I have just purchased a new GPS. It should be here on Monday. Can't wait to get back out on the trail again. There's so many new caches since I have been out which is great.