Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

***taps on mic*** This thing turned on???

Oh, hi there! *waves* We're Team Cache Scene Invesitgators. I'm tndrf001. This here on my right is MadMike99, and the big guy trying to hide behind me is Skrews2loose. We're happy to meet y'all! *waves again* We're a wife, hubby, and son team for the time being. We're hoping to add to our little cache team this summer. Our daugher (LilBabyAngel) and her hubby (TDSteveman-he's gone with us a couple times) have expressed an interest and we're hoping to get them hooked.

This little thing here helping hold me up is Fred. Most people call him a cane, but I decided if I was going to have to spend the rest of my life with the danged burn thing, I might as well name it. :laughing: We don't have a lot of handicap accessible caches in our area, but we do have quite a few P&G's, so we'll probably be getting those until I get my feet under me a bit more and we have some better weather. This cold gets to my bones and I don't move quiet as well as when it's nice out.

It's been nice meeting y'all! *waves again* We'll turn the mic over now to the next person/team who wants to introduce themselves. Take care y'all and HAPPY CACHING!

:rolleyes: Ok Ok. My name is mm52 and I am a frequent lurker. Nothing personal, I just read a few things, learn something or have a laugh, and then my kids need something or want time on the computer. (Mihlow is lurking over my shoulder right now!)

So just for introductions sake: I am a crazy redhead from South Florida. Where I come from, my username would be considered my address. My profession used to involve making & serving exotic cocktails, free headshrinking, and telling very off color jokes, usually wearing a swimsuit. (Yes, I made a boatload of cash!) For the past many years, I have been doing the Mommy/Slave gig. No money, no appreciation, but the fringe benes are really something! Mother Wolf lives next door to me, and she got me hooked on geocaching.

So there you have it. I have made my first post to this forum, but don't expect too much from me. I'll be watching! :unsure:

Happy Sunsets,

Candy

Had a great week with our visitors Evil Monkeys... who introduced us to the world of Geocaching. I was in part worried for their sanity as they have obviously become seriously addicted... but on the other hand I think they may have got us hooked too!

I slightly regret upsetting one or two people with my first post wherein I decried the use of the word 'muggles' (oh dear!), but let's not get into that again now- I don't want to upset anyone (yet :) ...Heh just joking I know it's easy to be taken the wrong way on a forum and this is obviously going to be an excellent place to exchange news & advice).

Suffice to say this is a brilliant idea and great fun in many ways. We just need to acquire a better GPS receiver and we're off on our own. Hoping to lay some new caches soon here and make our part of Spain (Costa Blanca: Marina Alta) a veritable hotbed of cache-mania :anicute:

Cheers folks ;)

Edited by ORAMA

Hello! Greetings from Virginia in the USA!

I bought my first GPS this afternoon (actually, it was yesterday afternoon...I'm up late at night in the wee hours of the morn.) It's a Garmin.

I'm hoping to set up CITO cache sites in each of the public parks in Martinsville, Virginia as a service project associated with the Virginia Master Naturalists (www.virginiamasternaturalist.org/southwesternpiedmont.html).

I've gotten support from the Department of Leisure Services in our city, who was extremely supportive, as he's been understaffed because of budget cuts. Also providing support and encouragement is the Virginia Museum of Natural History.

Never having found or sponsored a cache, this website has been very helpful and logically organized. The handbook published by the Florida Geocaching Association was so very helpful...

I'm awaiting approval from our chapter before I submit my proposals for events and caches online.

What got me interested was the enthusiasm of friends who had discovered the fun and excitement of this healthy form of exercising with family and friends. I'm anticipating the discovery of many new friends! :laughing:

Hello,

I'm a newbie and a frequent lurker. Being a newbie I think it's best to keep my mouth shut and just lurk for awhile. I find the forums to be extremely helpful in learning this geocaching thing.

Now for a bit about the team. We are a husband and wife team from South West Michigan, married for 32 years. I retired from the fire service after 30 years of service and am now working part-time as a maintenance man for a local school system. My wife baby-sits our oldest of 2 grandchildren (she's 1, and the other one is 4 months). We have already taken both grandkids geocaching with us and can't wait until they get a little older so they will appreciate it more.

Team Gatch

Hi there,

My name is Rose, my hubby's name is Gregor. We are nymphnsatyr. Just moved to Eugene, OR from Denver, CO a few months ago, and are really enjoying the caches out here!

We've been caching for about three years, but had a big lapse of time where we didn't cache for a while due to life circumstances.

Now we're back into the swing of things. Our pet rat Guinness also has a geocaching account. He likes to come on walks with us, and we thought we'd expand on that by bringing him geocaching. He doesn't have near the amount of finds that we have because he only gets to come out when the weather is nice enough for him. Rats don't like to be too cold or too hot... cachers on the other hand, we're pretty tough.

We just went to our first Oregon cache event yesterday evenings and met several of Oregon's finest cachers. They were all so nice!!

I thought I'd start using the forums to further enhance my caching experience.

I'm a little dismayed by the amount of arguing... but I do know that's how forums are sometimes, and I know there are probably a lot of fun threads to participate on, so I won't worry too much.

Looking forward to chatting with y'all.

-Rose

Greets all. As you can see by my joined date, I've been here awhile. As you can also see by my post count, I have not posted much.

I got in GCing with a car nav that I received as a gift (this predated the TomToms and Nuvi's that everyone has now). It died, and I pretty much gave it up until I got the iPhone 3G and restarted a bit. Now I am using a DeLorme PN-20.

I'm in Houston, Texas but travel all over, both by choice/vacation and work (I am a security consultant and semi-pro photographer). Now that I have a good GPSr, I plan on building in GC time on my future trips. Trips in the last few years I wish I could have GCed on: Ireland, Scotland, UK, Italy, Mexico, Utah, Colorado, & Florida. Upcoming trips I plan to GC on: Colorado, UK, Arkansas, Tennessee & Mexico.

My main hobby is Photography, and it's easy to combine with GCing (both let me explore and find new places). Much of the time when I am online, I hang out at TexasPhotoForum.com (also use screen name Steelsun there)

Edited by steelsun

hello everyone this is my first post, ive been lurking here for a couple of weeks now im a bit of an urban explorer ive found my first 3 caches in the last week using only my non gps 1st gen iphone hoping to get a handheld unit first some of the locations i have saved now are in areas my iphone just wont cut it lol

*stands up* Hello....my name *clears throat* is Jokester... And uhh *shuffles feet* I am a lurker... Any rate, I really don't know why I lurk. I guess I just feel I don't really have any conversation to contribute. I usually cruise the forums once or twice a day. I agree there's been a bunch of mean/whining posts lately, but overall the forums are a really good resource. I've made some good geocaching decisions based on the information provided here. Though I have started posting, very slowly, recently. I guess there's something to contribute after all. :)

I feel the same way... One find and One No Find.... I'm just learning all about this and confused about a few things that I know I will learn as I read... I never post... I have nothing to say... I love this and want to do more, I'm breaking my 9 year old son into this also, He likes it, but not to much when we don't find the cache.

We've had alot of rain latley so getting out to some places are a no go. anyways I'm glad I have friends in my area that are active in caching.... Thank You From ROCKFORD ILLINOIS.

Jason and Zachary (noobs)

Hi All,

I've not really been lurking...I have posted a couple of times, but just never failed to really introduce myself. Name is Jerry and I just started geocaching. My stats currently are 4 Found, 1 Not Found (but don't believe the cache is there) and I've adopted 3 caches.

I sort of learned about geocaching through amateur radio (ham radio). I'm having fun....and hope to continue finding and hiding lots of caches.

Jerry

Hi All,

I've not really been lurking...I have posted a couple of times, but just never failed to really introduce myself. Name is Jerry and I just started geocaching. My stats currently are 4 Found, 1 Not Found (but don't believe the cache is there) and I've adopted 3 caches.

I sort of learned about geocaching through amateur radio (ham radio). I'm having fun....and hope to continue finding and hiding lots of caches.

Jerry

Are you the one that adopted three of our caches recently?

-Roz

Hello from Champion Ohio. Been getting lots of good info from this site for just over a month now. I really do love the hunt. I have found some very cool hides so far. I've been thinking about my fist hide (where, what) for a week or so, but not ready for that just yet. Thanks for a really neat pastime!

Hello All. My Name is Steve and I'm in St. Louis MO. My Geoexpereince started around the first of the year. I got a Magellen Roadmate 1200 for Christmas and though that there had to be something else I could do with this thing. I googled "GPS Games" and Geocaching came up. I read about it, did some research on caches in my area, and decided to go on my first on January 2nd. I picked a park near my home with a great walking trail that I frequented with 3 caches along the tral. The main problem I had was I had to convert the DD MM.MMM format on the cache page to DD MM SS because that is the most detailed my automotive GPS got. After the math, it was fun. I enjoyed getting out and finding these caches that i've proabably passed by dozens of time before and never knew were there.

Since the Roadmate doesn't allow input of the coordinates, I had to use a compass as well to move in the direction of the caches. It was pretty challenging, but I enjoyed having to break out the old Boy Scout Orientation skills. I also had to limit it to mostly urban Micros and suburban type caches. I found my first 24 caches by this method which I am very proud of! Since then I found an older Magellen Sport Track Pro on e-bay for $50 bucks and have since found an additonal 25 caches. I'm looking forward to the warmer weather where I can get out on the trails like I used to and have some fun.

Hello all,

My name is Adam, and I started GeoCaching back in 2001 with my Handspring Visor and a Nexian HandyGPS. I did a couple hikes with my friends, and then didn't really do much more until 2003 when I got my Garmin eTrex. I've gotten a few since then, and recently my wife got bit by the Caching bug, and we're spending time just about every weekend picking up a cache or two.

I haven't really read the forums before, but I'm working on building a GPX->PDF converter so we can use our Sony Ebook Reader to have the Cache Logs and Cache Hints available in the field, and I came here to check out the website forums and meet folks.

Hello all,

My name is Adam, and I started GeoCaching back in 2001 with my Handspring Visor and a Nexian HandyGPS. I did a couple hikes with my friends, and then didn't really do much more until 2003 when I got my Garmin eTrex. I've gotten a few since then, and recently my wife got bit by the Caching bug, and we're spending time just about every weekend picking up a cache or two.

I haven't really read the forums before, but I'm working on building a GPX->PDF converter so we can use our Sony Ebook Reader to have the Cache Logs and Cache Hints available in the field, and I came here to check out the website forums and meet folks.

Hi everyone! My name is Tami, and the other half of DaysJourney is my husband Dan. I first heard about Geocaching in 2005, and although I didn't have a gps at that time, I signed up for a free account hoping I could talk a friend into lending me one. I didn't end up getting a usable gps right away, and my geocaching interest had to be stifled for the time being. I got a Garmin for my car last Christmas, and whoo-hoo! One night Dan and I were driving, and I had a waypoint downloaded onto the Garmin, and we decided to give it a try. GC1APBH was probably a bit small for two n00bs stumbling around in the pitch blackness of the rural night, and predictably had a DNF! I felt somewhat vindicated when it turned out MIA, and the owner has since checked it out and got it back up and running. Maybe we'll give it a try again next time we're up that way.

That was March 22nd, and we've been cachin' ever since, whenever the weather is good.

Hi,

I just recently found out about geocaching while looking on the internet for things to do while we take a trip to Kentucky this summer.

The whole idea just sounded so unbelievably fun that I immediately cashed in some points from my credit card for Amazon dollars to buy a GPS. I am addicted. When I am at work, I look out my window and wish I could come up with a great excuse to leave so I can go find a cache.

As we both work full time and try to go to the gym four or five times a week, we can only cache on Saturdays (Gotta do some housework and yard work and figure Sunday is the only time left now).

Really can't wait to get to Kentucky in July. There will be really great hikes and beautiful scenery to enjoy while geocaching.

I won't be able to rack up thousands of finds like some people have but I look forward to Saturdays now more than ever!

Kathy and Darryl

Hi I'm Mike

First time posting. Just recently got layed off from work and needed a hobby. So i tried Playing videos games. Wasn't for me. Then i tried Beer making. I like it but one day of work 21 days waiting. then i stumpled upon geocaching during one of my marathon all night web surfing and i have been hooked since. Like Headhardhat says in his youtube videos it is an obsession. Thanks for all the valuable information on this forum for us noobies.

My name is Waterboss, I'm from Yakima, Wa. Ive been in this sport for almost 2 years and have casually racked up about 89 caches I think. I've enjoyed this game very much.

Waterboss (Dave)

I'm Mike_B, I'm waterboss' dad, living in northern AZ; waterboss got me into geocaching, and I've since gotten several others down here interested in the game. Only found about 56 caches in the 5 yrs I've been "playing", and placed my 1st one earlier today ("Cow Pie ?" - GC1Q7KA)

Oops, I posted a few times before I saw this thread.

I'm Jen in central Illinois. I started geocaching three months ago and have almost 50 finds and 5 hides. Sometimes, I almost like hiding more than finding. :laughing: I just really like sharing my favorite stomping grounds with others. I started caching with my teenage brother, and now my 5 year-old loves it, too. Haven't been able to get the hubby too interested yet, but I'm working on him.

Oops, I posted a few times before I saw this thread.

I'm Jen in central Illinois. I started geocaching three months ago and have almost 50 finds and 5 hides. Sometimes, I almost like hiding more than finding. :laughing: I just really like sharing my favorite stomping grounds with others. I started caching with my teenage brother, and now my 5 year-old loves it, too. Haven't been able to get the hubby too interested yet, but I'm working on him.

I've been caching on-and-off for several years; have "only" about 60 caches found and just posted my 1st hide the other day; already, 3 or 4 other cachers have found it.

I got a Veteran friend interested when I got my etrex Legend & gave him my old eTrex H. Got another Veteran friend interested & he went out and bought his own Legend. He also uses it because he's interested in finding local (past) epicenters of earthquakes. Yes, AZ does have earthquakes, albeit small tremlors (Magnitude 3 or smaller).

How do you handle it when you happen upon a cache, you're sitting there signing the log and a muggle happens by? I normally just explain (in response to their quizzical faces) that I'm playing a game called Geocaching, basics about what it is (high-tech treasure hunt), how to get started (if they're interested) and things of that type.

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

hey there

:laughing:

:D A´hoy!

I´m Greger & Maria.

We is a married cupple that first found out about geocaching i the erlie of 2007, but didn´t find time, effort or the GPS untill reasently to do the big fun of geochacing.

Happy hunt! / Greger & Maria "Gringo75" Jönsson

Hi I am a Lurker. Thank you for this post. I am now a Poster! I am new to caching. 28 finds! Started the end of April when a friend took me along while camping in Ventura, CA. I got hooked! My kids gave me a GPS for mothers' day. I have been lurking to improve my skills. I have learned alot and want to thank you for all your posts!

So I've been lurking on and off for a few months now. I've only done two caches so far with my family while we were camping and have been trying to get the hang of my gps unit. Also been working up the guts to go for a city cache. The idea of being spotted somehow just weirds me out! LOL

Anyway, I lurk mainly to read the funny, interesting, educational threads. Also trying to learn proper geocaching ettiquette. We're going camping again in a month and plan to try for three in the area (central Idaho). The kids so far are loving the 'treasure hunting'! As soon as I feel I have something worthwhile to contribute, I'll hop on the boards one of these days. :mad:

I'm not really a lurker, I have posted a few times, but not in the fourms.

I am Sherry from Wi USA 33 newbie to this whole GPS Geocashing stuff.

Found my first one on accident checked out this site and got hooked.

I tried my luck without a GPS for a bit, but my mom found me a 3 year old Garmin Quest 2 at a yard sale for $25 and I am learning how to use it now.

So far i have found one on accident and one using the GPS (without the GPS I was about 200 feet off the mark LOL)

I am wondering if there is some way I can find a local who would be willing to go hunting with me, is there a looking for a buddy thread some place here that I missed?

Edited by cp75

I'm a frequent lurker. I'm Kat (K of K&J - Jeff being the J.)

As a newbie, it can be kind of intimidating around here. Especially with all of the "This is my pet peeve" topics I've seen lately. Wanting to make a good impression, and hoping to make a few buddies along our Geocaching way...you don't want to begin by ticking off the regs! :)

I find that most of the topics are fun to read, and are quite helpful.

Get used to this name - we'll be here a while. :D

The regs were Newbies at one time so don't be intimidated by them.

:unsure:

Not my first post here, did some postings to get my avatar and signature in my profile correct. My first informational post though.

I've been cruising the boards for a couple of weeks now to get informed and learn the right way to hunt.

Caching without GPS right now, but I'm looking for a basic inexpensive starter handheld unit. Money is tight with me. Any suggestions for me?

Internet networking here with some local cachers here. Just into Geocaching in Southern Calif, found 12, and I plan to keep going for fun, exercise and see new sights. Lots of helpful info on these forums, so this member appreciates everything a great deal!

Not my first post here, did some postings to get my avatar and signature in my profile correct. My first informational post though.

I've been cruising the boards for a couple of weeks now to get informed and learn the right way to hunt.

Caching without GPS right now, but I'm looking for a basic inexpensive starter handheld unit. Money is tight with me. Any suggestions for me?

Internet networking here with some local cachers here. Just into Geocaching in Southern Calif, found 12, and I plan to keep going for fun, exercise and see new sights. Lots of helpful info on these forums, so this member appreciates everything a great deal!

Try Letterboxing.

Good Finding!

Came across this thread while looking for answers & figure I must be a lurker named CMONDAY :D .

Found out about caching from my beautician who knew I hiked & loved technology. The old commercial is true . . . only your hairdresser knows for sure (wow, that ages me:)

Anyway, first time out became hooked & felt the urge to pay premium membership.

I log all attempts, yet seldom come to the forums, except when I need to find an answer to a question. My questions today were about our new Colorado 400t. Previously/still use E-trex Legend. I haven’t, nor would, post a question for fear it’s already here somewhere, so I just look and look.

It’s all good to me, since forums have every kind of human the world possesses.

Have fun folks!!

Posted a couple of times but figured I'd officially introduce myself. I first heard about geocaching years ago while working at Barnes & Noble. Some guy came in asking for a book on geocaching, and I replied with, "Spell, please." Never thought too much more about it until a month or so ago. I was on the lookout for a family friendly hobby that we could do locally, do while traveling, didn't cost exorbitant amounts of money, and was fun for adults, a teen, a kindergartener, and a toddler. No short order. But I knew there must be something. When I checked out the World's Largest List of Hobbies on the Internet. #84: Geocaching. I used to have other interests and hobbies. Now, I have a box with geocaching printouts, organized into files, and assorted sized ziplock baggies with various swag items.

Edited by runawaybunny

haha... I'd rather not be a lurker so here's my story.

Stumbled across the term geocaching in 2005 while researching my holiday to PEI, Canada. Although at the time it seemed like a really interesting hobby, and something I would really be interested in taking up, GPS was beyond my technical abilities.

Recently, I went away on holidays, and met some folks from the Kingston Ontario area who were actually hiding a cache which brought me back to my original interest in 2005. So, since last week, I have been doing some research into geocaching, and even plotting some local cache's and couldn't believe that there are literally 13 hidden within walking distance of my home. I have managed to recruit a friend with a GPS, and we plan on doing our first cache within the next couple of weeks.

I can definitely see how this can become highly addictive - but at the same time a rewarding experience!!!

Edited by whitewatergurl