Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Been registered here a long time, I just got away from the hobby for a while. I really want to get back into it with my kids this coming year.

I am into radios (ham, GMRS, scanners, etc) among many other things.

Yes, I am a licensed GMRS user and will remind you that a license is required, although I do agree that FCC enforcement of GMRS pirates is pretty much non-existent. Ham and marine VHF pirates/abusers ARE a different story though.

Happy New Year everyone and hope to see you out there this year!

Hello All, I'm not sure I want to read all 34 pages..... but we have been doing geocaching since May. We have really started doing more and more lately including placing a couple of caches ourselves. Bug has bitten us and we are hooked.

We are in the St. Louis area and just decided to look into this forum. I was reading a couple of entries, and it sounds like some bash here from time to time. I'm also very much into modifing Pontiac Fieros and racing. On the Fiero forum I have seen the same thing people trolling and bashing others. I usually just ignore those people and block them so I don't see any of thier replies.

I've met a few Cachers out there and they seem to be really nice people in person. Anyway I do need to learn a few things and hopefully some here can help point me in the right direction. The big problem I have is learning about some of these "cyptic" I guess clues. I need to learn more about them and the do and don'ts in geocaching.

Talk to everyone later,

Earl

Edited by Earl-R

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a short time and now wish to thanks to varied discussions throughout the forums where lurd me into the sport/activity of geocaching. Yes ppl lurk, I do, but now i shall be posting more often. Think its all about getting a feel for the forums and the like, nothing worse than post the wrong think in the wrong place, and I bet thats what I have just done...lol. Anyways just to say big thanks and all

Beakie

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :unsure:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Hi! Mobilo_crew just popped in to have a look. Been out caching today!

Hi New geocacher from Sheffield UK, :) (started between Xmas and Newyear)

Very rarely comment on forums mainly use them to find stuff out. :lol:

I will post if I can help with a question but being a newby mainly using to trawl for info on this activity.

Will probably post more as I get more into it.

Cheers all

Fayetteville, Arkansas. Got into GPS several years ago with a Magellan 300(?). Currently work as a Technology Manager for an investment firm. Own the PN-40 and Oregon 400t. 'Main' hobby is RC aircraft, getting started into geocaching as a way to get out and get some exercise on days unfavorable for flying.

HM

Hello all! This is my first post. I'm not really a lurker, mainly because this is only the second time I've been on the forums. I've only been geocaching for a few months, but man, I'm hooked. My wife thinks I'm nuts but I think if I could just get her out for a few finds she'd be hooked too. Either way, I've learned more about the out-of-the-way places in my little corner of our beautiful state in the last few months than I have in all the years prior. Anyway, I'm having a ball.

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :unsure:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Have been lurking for about a year when my son introduced me to geocashing. For Christamas he suprised me with a Garmin and I'm putting a cashe together. I'll place in about a week. Last week we located 3 cashes in the area around here and found a multi cashe.

G'day or should I say G'evening as it's 8:57 on Thursday night in OZ. I like to have a look in the forums to see what new ideas there are, what people have to say & get ideas on the type (construction) of caches that are being hidden. I adopted Pilotsnipes idea on paperless caching & will test it out in earnest via a tour of southern NSW & Victoria once the Summer heat dies down - 37 degrees yesterday. See ya.

I'm Robin. I lurk because it's the closest I can come to the activity. I deplete my battery reading posts at night.

I've learned those initial three DNFs need to be entered even though I was cocky and shooting from the hip.

I'm worried if I don't have a successful find next time, I'll have another activity I do alone.

I enjoyed even not finding anything, and I'm thankful for the option of a free account.

Ooops, need to charge.

Edited by Bill&Robin

Hello all. New here myself. Just received a Vista HCx for xmas. Wow, what a difference from the old Garmin etrex legend. That one had 8 Mb of memory....was able to load 12 USGS maps from mapsource at most in that one.

Love the addition of external memory card..8 Gigs available now, just insane how fast and far technology grows in just 3 years.

Looking forward to finding my 1st cache, perhaps this weekend.

howdy,

just found out about it and decided to give it a check and so far i am extremely intrigued and ready to try it out. the only gps i have at the moment is on my phone and since verizon isnt part of the group i cant use that so i have to wait till i get another gps. well im located in delaware, but currently in pa, sout of pitts til the end of the month. well still lookin and learnin and cant wait to start and possible see some of ya out there.

Hi everyone. I have been lurking for a few days and have received some good advice...so thanks. I am a spanking new newbie having just picked up my Garmin GPS unit today today. I haven't managed to get out and hunt for my first find yet though as I'm not feeling the best....dadgum! Not to worry. I have just found out that there are a few caches hidden along my local walking track so I might try to peel myself off the couch to look for one of them tonight. Happy hunting.

I'm a lurker! I've learned alot reading the forums but like others by the time I read the forum once every few weeks I have nothing new to add to the topics.

My brother introduced me to geocaching in September and I passed him in finds within a month! People rag on LPC caches but I think there fun and it gives me something to do during lunch time. I save the bigger caches for the kids on the weekend.

I am a Lurker.

I will continue to lurk and will add something when I feel it is worthwhile.

We are a family of four, me (dad 43), Mom is 40, and daughter (160 and youngest son (12).

Brand new to geocaching, as in three weeks into and hooked forever.

As newbies we have nothing to add but lots to harvest from here.

Thanx for the welcome to all

I am a Lurker.

I will continue to lurk and will add something when I feel it is worthwhile.

We are a family of four, me (dad 43), Mom is 40, and daughter (16) and youngest son (12).

Brand new to geocaching, as in three weeks into and hooked forever.

As newbies we have nothing to add but lots to harvest from here.

Thanx for the welcome to all

My name is Greg(29), Heather(26), Kyle(4), and soon to be Madison by the end of Feb. I am currently stationed at Maxwell AFB, but live in Prattville, AL. My brother got me into this a few years ago. I signed up almost 2yrs ago thinking I was getting a GPS. That never happened. I recently got an E-Trex Legend from a friend for free. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

My son and I have hit 5 caches in the passed week. My wife is 8 months pregnant and needed to get out and walk. Went to one with a nano cache. I saw it, but she kept walking around. When I finally grabbed it, she said "I would never have seen that"

Edited by jbuffethed

ello... im crabsoul already notorious for my bad grammer and supposed "trolling"

im 18 so i dont really have much to do around here but think up ideas on a forum. alot of the caches around me arent really in walking distance so i cant go cacheing as much as ide like to.

lets see... major things about me...

im an atheist. so i try to make things a much fun as possible since i dont go anywhere when i die...

umm.. im into urban exploring...

im trying to be a special effects designer when im older...

i play dungeons and dragons wich inspires me to adventure alot.

im addicted to zelda and transformers....

im always trying to add some element of role play into anything i do as a hobbie.

yea thats pretty much teh crab soul.

Hey there all!

My name is Mark and I am new geocasher from Mobile, AL. I got an Oregon 400t for Christmas to use during hunting season and decided geocashing would be a great hobby to do with my 3yo son since he can't go turkey hunting with me yet. We have been "treasure hunting" a couple of times and had a great time! My wife went with us yesterday and we plan to have a picnic and hit some spots today.

I am an executive in the defense industry. My company does software development and subject matter expert support for the DoD. I have been an outdoorsman for my whole life and particularly enjoy gadgets and topo maps, so Geocashing is a great fit!

Thanks for all the fun and I look forwarded to interacting.

My son (8) and I just started Sunday, what a great time to spend together. He couldn't wait to get home today and find some caches nearby the house. What a perfect way to get him to do his homework first :)

We are looking forward to the many adventures ahead of us!

My son's 27 now and while visiting him in Arizona i set him up to find his first three cache's.... he was up all last night looking for a deal on a GPS...... Good thing he finished his homework so he can read now LOL.

Have fun with your son...they grow up too fast.

Joe

My son (8) and I just started Sunday, what a great time to spend together. He couldn't wait to get home today and find some caches nearby the house. What a perfect way to get him to do his homework first :)

We are looking forward to the many adventures ahead of us!

My son's 27 now and while visiting him in Arizona i set him up to find his first three cache's.... he was up all last night looking for a deal on a GPS...... Good thing he finished his homework so he can read now LOL.

Have fun with your son...they grow up too fast.

Joe

Thanks! This seems like such a great activity to spend time together.

Hi,

I am StrivingforCamelot, and I am a lurker. ("Hi Striving") I have only been a lurker for a few months now ("denial") but I am learning to deal with this issue. I haven't noticed TOO much hostility in here, but maybe I am reading the wrong threads. I will usually voice my opinion only if it is new and I feel strongly about it, or if I feel really sure that I know something pertinent that hasn't been mentioned yet (not very often because I am new). Thanks for listening.

I'm definitely a lurker (in general, not just here), although I have to admit that this is the first time I've looked at any of the Groundspeak forums. (I've just spent most of today's free time prowling around this particular forum!) Because I'm quite new to Geocaching, I'll most likely lean towards not posting much, since I clearly don't have the same experience that more experienced geocachers/posters have, and it's probably that I won't have anything new to offer. However, this particular thread drew me out of my shell, lol. I have noticed a few agressive/hostile/angry posts that have cropped up in several threads, and to be honest, that makes me that much more inclined to not post. However, this tendency is not quite as high as I see in other on-line communities. I've also read quite a few posts where people are genuinely helpful, again, much more so than in other on-line communities. Not sure if this is the type of feedback you were looking for, but here it is, nonetheless!

Hi, I don't know if I am a lurker in general or just here. I was just introduced to the sport two weeks ago from a friend on a scooter forum as a distraction during winter when we can't ride. Now we will have somewhere to ride to when it gets warm enough. Anyway she sent me here, I read and looked for some caches close to home (CT) to my surprise there is one Three blocks away and around 10 within a mile of home. That did it. We ordered our GPS yesterday. :lol:

short time lurker, 1st time poster. just new to the whole geocaching experience. if it wasnt for the cold in south dakota id be out right now, but we're under a blizzard warning (could make it difficult and uncomfortable). im just hitting them around the town where i live and plan on making it part of my vacation when i travel to california this summer for the High Sierra Music Festival. im not gonna lie, it's quite fun! :)

This is reply 1701 so I doubt it will be read much.

I downloaded Cachberry to my Blackberry Curve after a friend told me about it. After spending a day figuring it out, I went out and found 2 guardrail caches. HOOKED! I am 27 day into my 30 day free Cacheberry trial and I will go out and find my 99th and 100th finds today. My 9 yr old son went caching with me a few times and he is hooked too. I am gonna have to pay the very reasonable Cacheberry registration fee because there is no way I am going to stop.

As far as the complaints about rude replies on these forums. Don't read them if they offend you. Its a freedom you can exercise anytime you want.

:) Hi everyone, I'm Chadli. Short time lurker (about 2 weeks). I'm a geovirgin.

I live in the Inland Northwest and have a case of extreme cabin fever. I've been looking forward to getting out to the woods and doing some serious camping/hiking. I decided to get a GPSr and look up this thing called geocaching that I've seen on the news and in the paper.

Well as I said above, I'm still a geovirgin but I'm VERY excited about getting out geocaching!!

I've been reading just about everything I can on the subject. I seem to be obsessed with just reading about it... My GPSr should be delivered today, and it won't be long until I'm burning up the trails!

I've already got several of my friends and family members very excited about doing this also, they all want to go!

Anways... just wanted to say hi!

Hi everyone! (or should I say "Hello Everybody"...ref. to the simpsons)

Guy from sweden, about 35 years old. I usually cache with the rest of the family consisting of girlfriend, 2 daughters 7 and 5 years and a boy 4 years. Been registered for a while, but just recently found my account details again when resurrecting an old harddrive...so it's been a break for a few years from caching. Glad to be here again.

I'm also trying to introduce my brother to geocaching, so I brought him with me on one of the physically most demanding caches that I've been to. I think I have managed to hook him as he's looking for a gps as we speak.

Well, that was a little about me...

Edited by pischla