Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Hi I'm Matt from Alabama. I've been caching for a couple of years now, but am only just now able to get really into it (I've got young kids, which takes time away from pursuits, but they're growing fast and I can get out a little more now). Glad to be hanging around and lurking, this is a nice looking forum.

Hello,

I have been reading quite a few posts and have found a few that I would really like to reply too, but I haven't used this type of forum before so I have been reading as much as I can about it.

I still have one question, that I have not been able to find. How do I post a picture in my post?

Thanks.

Hi there. First you need to know the URL of the picture you want to show. Get this by putting your cursor over the image and right click on it. In the box that comes up, left click on 'Copy Image Location' (or something similar such as 'Copy Image URL' etc.). Right above the text box where you type your post here there should be several icons, including one like this: image.gif. Click on it and a text box comes up. Right click on the shaded 'http://' in the text box and then select 'paste'. That puts the previously selected image location in the box. Then hit enter and complete your post.

Doug here... from Elkford, BC. That's East Kootenays for those who care to look for it. Lots of Caches

around this area, not all that many yet right at home, but Highway 3 runs thru a lot of good ones plus a few head scratchers... or at least head rubbers such as the Worlds Largest Truck at Sparwood... Big truck, tiny cache...

Have been too busy reading everything on the forums, and forgot to check into this topic.

Nice to meet you all.

Hi all!

Been lurking for a few weeks now and thought that I would make my first post since I have returned to the game and introduce myself. My name is Erin and I live in Honolulu, Hawaii. My husband is in the US Navy and we are stationed here at Pearl Harbor Navy Base. I started Geocaching in 2002 but was only able to do it a few times (I was too broke and young to own my own GPS! lol) Just recently I finally broke down and picked up a GPS and logged my first find in Hawaii. What a blast, I'd forgotten how much I love this game! Can't promise that I'll be a very active person on the forums but it has been a wonderful refresher course and a wealth of helpful information.

Happy Hunting everyone!

Erin

Edited by ErinColette

Just joined up! Live in AZ. Been reading about geocaching for a few years now. Taking my nephew out this Saturday to try it out. I have a Lowrance XOG for the job at hand. Had it about 8 months now, should be ok for this type of thing....right?

I'll mainly be doing off road caching....see ya on the trails!

Hi! We're the DA Cacehers. We are a family of cachers who started geocaching in 2005. At first we only knew about getting the coords and playing the game, but we didn't know we were supposed to log our visits too. :) But we're on the right track now!!

I came to the forums a few days ago looking for ideas to make my own cache containers. There are some amazing creations out there! I have been successful in finding inspiration, and I have learned so much more about the game!

Well i am a LURKER and just starting out. I am very interested in becoming a Geocacher with my family. My 3 sons have flown the coop and my daughter is 16, and we love trying new ideas. I hope that i can get her involved in geocaching with me along with my wife. We are looking for something to do with and for our two Beautiful granddaughters. Would love to hear form any one with advice on finding some very beautiful areas to take them to.

Thanks for any ones help

and GOD BLESS AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN FINDING THAT BIG GEOCACHE ONE DAY

:blink:

Hi! I'm Sabrina (shnz821) in Colorado. Been lurking for a little while...just reading up to find more info on my new favorite hobby. I first stumbled upon geocaching, due to a reference in a friend's MySpace page over a year ago. But life intervened and I didn't come back around to the site again until a few months ago. Unfortunately my father passed away a couple of weeks after I started caching, or I think he would've become addicted with me. To be honest, this hobby has given me a great outlet to get outside and keep my mind on things other than this HUGE loss in my life. Thank you to all the cach hiders and coin/TB launchers, for giving me some light at the end of the tunnel. I've only met a couple of cachers so far, as I haven't been up to going to events and such yet, but I do look forward to getting to know more of you soon!!

Happy Holidays and Happy Caching!!! :)

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :laughing:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Hello. The family has been doing this now for about a year. We got addicted by some friends. Hola!

Hello all!

This is my first post! Not that I've been here long enough to be considered a lurker, but I didn't see a pinned topic for newbies to introduce themselves. So here goes...

I ran across the term "geocaching" on www.treadlightly.org while I was donating to their cause. I'm a Jeeper who believes in responsible use of public land. I had no idea what it was, but was intrigued by the term and Googled it. I was immediately hooked by the Wiki! I scoured geocaching.com and Groundspeak.com to get all the info I needed to get started right away.

After researching all the gear, I settled on a refurbed DeLorme PN-20 unit. I really wanted the PN-40, but since I'm just getting started (and on a budget), I went for the lesser model. It should be here this weekend and I'll head out as soon as I figure out how to work it.

I've got my family all excited about geocaching! It's amazing how many caches are hidden in places we've been to hundreds of times here in Spokane. I read in another thread about slogans where someone described geocaching as what nerds do when they go outdoors. It's spot on!

Anyway, I can't wait to get started and become a part of this outstanding community!

'Goose

Just started reading the forum's yesterday. When I first started geocaching about 10 months ago I made a typo in selecting my handle. I entended for it to be "steelheader" which is a fish I fish for so thought I'd research and see if I can change it. Anyway I usually geocache alone as my wife isn't into the sport. When I'm home during the summer I can usually get my 17 year old granddaughter to go with me because she loves to drive. Desert (my winter's are spent in Apache Junction, AZ) geocaching is much easier because the satellite signals are better. Up home in Oregon we have far too many tree's and overcast conditions which make holding a signal difficult. Nuff said!

Hello All..... Scott (Pops) here from S.W. Indiana I am the Monkeyhead of Team Monkeylove. I love the forums. I come here for much needed cache advice. I am fairly new to the sport. It is the one and only thing I have found to break my kids away from the computers. Thanks to all who have helped me along my jagged trail of caching. See you on the trails!!

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :huh:

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :huh:

Hello All, My wife and I just started this 1 week ago. We were introduced to geocaching by a friend at work. We have been reading the forums to learn all that we can. We love geocaching and look forward to every time we get out. We met two of our fellow geocachers for the first time 3 days ago while out on the hunt.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

I lurk cuz I'm brand new to this. Recently helped my GF with an online trails resource project using GPS and Google Maps/Earth. In the course of logging all the trailhead coordinates, etc, I got the bug. So many great possibilities. In my first week, I have but one benchmark find to my credit, but I'm trying to make time in my life to do more. Plus it's good for me to have one more reason to get out and explore. The western Sierra is at my doorstep, so I'm compelled to get out and be part of it. I haven't read even 2% of the posts yet, but I do appreciate the good insights. Haven't seen too much in the way of flaming/bashing/war, but I hear it happens.

I hope to eventually participate in a more meaningful way. Peace. J

btw, the system is at the moment repeatedly blocking my post, saying "too many connections" is that real or just a site error?

Hi all!

I'm not a lurker yet, but I have just started geocaching. I am totally hooked!! I was peeking through the forums, trying to learn everything, and am suddenly getting overwhelmed with all the info. My husband, gothicstorm, learned about this from a friend and we tried it out! I don't feel we in So FL have much hiking available, so I call us urban geocachers. I look forward to finding "stuff" and geocaching when we go on vacation in other parts of the country to see what it's like there. IF we ever get to go on vacation! We have taken the kids and they like it, too!

sweetpea3 ;)

Edited by sweetpea3

I'm brand new, so I haven't been here long enough to lurk. And I don't see it being in my nature not to get involved and ask questions.

But, so far, my experience with geocaching has been terrific. What the heck are people arguing about anyways?? I can't think of anything worth arguing about just yet.. but I guess I'm just a n00b.

Jessica

Greetings,

I read various forums on topics that stark my interest several times a week. I have seen that some could use better moderation to keep things more pleasant, just like there is for keeping things on topic.

I post on occasion to the forums.

I run several yahoogroups and I don't allow "hostile" behaviors at all. We can post differing opinions, sometimes leaving it at agreeing to disagreeing, but in general things stay informative, friendly and with decorum. There is no reason this couldn't be accomplished at Groundspeak. A general set of guidelines is set forth up front, a moderator or two watches the individual forum and if someone doesn't follow the guidelines about being nice, they are privately cautioned and given a reason why they are being cautioned. If an understanding can't be reached the offending member is not allowed to post without being moderated (posts must go though the moderator before going public). They can even be banned from a forum.

It is really as simple as that. Takes a degree of dedication and diplomacy but it can be accomplished.

If Groundspeak forums are intended to be informative, friendly and we are to behave with a degree of decorum, something like this must be implemented.

As for myself; my profile pretty much covers that.

I am not very active on the forum because I am new to geocaching and I am only on about once every two weeks, if even that. I figure once I get more experience and recognize more names I will be more active. This is a great hobby to have with my family (hubby, a 4 year old son and a 1 year old son), we go on several camping trips per year and this will make our trips much more interesting.

Hi, I'm Yasmine from Switzerland. The Mar-elendili team includes me and my husband but I'll probably be the only one posting here around! Yes, I've been lurking quite a lot, I admit.

We've been caching for almost one year and enjoying ourselves a lot. I found it a good excuse to exercise in a fun way, because I don't really like walking just for walking. As I always need a goal, caches are perfect!

Besides, we've discovered a bunch of cool new places and that's another aspect of Geocaching which we love.

See you around and have fun caching!

Lurking is not a "criminal activity" last time I checked. I am a classic lurker, I enjoy reading the forums and seldom ever comment. I don't like it when the bashing starts, no need to, this is an free activity that started out with one rule," have fun and find it".

Geocaching gets you outside doing a bit of ( or a lot of) excersise and a bit of brain work. Keep it fun , keep the politics out of it.