Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

I'm a frequent lurker. I'm Kat (K of K&J - Jeff being the J.)

As a newbie, it can be kind of intimidating around here. Especially with all of the "This is my pet peeve" topics I've seen lately. Wanting to make a good impression, and hoping to make a few buddies along our Geocaching way...you don't want to begin by ticking off the regs! :rolleyes:

I find that most of the topics are fun to read, and are quite helpful.

Get used to this name - we'll be here a while. :rolleyes:

I've lurked for awhile, haven't had anything to say, but finally come up with a question and can't firgure out where to put it. Is there a limit on the number of "Cache's along a route" queries you can generate other than the five per day pocket queries you're limited to? I made several one day late last week and not am finding it impossible to get onto that page.

Hi - I guess I qualify as a lurker! I usually check out the forums every day, but I've only posted a time or two. I've been at it for a month or two I guess, and I geocache with my kiddos, 8 and 9. We all love it and are totally addicted - every day - I mean every single day - the kids ask "are we going geocaching?" [:sad:]

As for the forums, they can be intimidating, especially the pet peeves about newbies and those caching with kids - so I'm just watching and learning how NOT to be an irritating newbie! We've taken what we've read to heart so much so that when a cache we had recently visited turned up exposed and out in the open, I got all defensive and left a note just to confirm that MY kids had rehidden it very well - they are very consciencious about the rules!

Hi, name's Manuel and wife Margaret moved from AZ to WV. We got hooked on geocaching after going to a rally for a different hobby. We've been doing it for about a week or so and our 2 older kids like it because they think they're pirates treasure hunting. The geocaching has given us a hobby to do as a family along with camping; also has taken us to beautiful places in our area that we wouldn't have come across if we hadn't been geocaching :o:lol: . Thanks for the memories and the ones to come. AZWILDCAT7 and family

Hey I am Greg of Bergie Bunch. We are from the Pittsburgh, PA area. We started on July 4th, this year and as of today, we have 68 finds and 8 hides. We started doing this to get my 13y/o son out of the house, and exercise for mom and I. We are having a great time, losing weight, and meeting lots of great people. We are going to our first event, 8/8/08 at Canhadota Lake, PA looking forward to it.

Finally got around to posting in these forums. I'm Meark, 21 and a Rover in Scouts Canada. I'm around the lower mainland, and helped lead a geocaching program at hte Canadian Jamboree last summer. I'm doing it as i find that i have less and less free time, my random jaunts around the city on my bike have become less and less and this way there's more method to my madness. Plus, treasure hunting is fun, even if you don't get any booty.

For now, I guess you could say I'm a lurker. I'm Pooter2001. I've been caching since July 2006. My ex-husband was very active in the forums and he usually did all the reading up on caching while I just tagged along. I didn't even own my own GPSr until this year. Since my divorce in June, I am gradually getting more active in both caching and in the forums. For now I'm mainly reading and doing my homework so that I don't make a fool of myself as I create more hides and become more active in the GC community.

Edited by pooter2001

I'm Brenda from CT and just learned about geocaching about a month ago. My first couple of tries were total flops: no gpsr, cops lurking by, no place to park. Got my eTrex today and plan on making up for lost time! I thought geocaching would be a great way to get outside and do some hiking and learn about my state. I always thought it would be fun to visit every town CT, but procrastinated....maye I should join Brian's club.....mmmmm later. :anitongue:

Hello,

I joined this site the other day....I'm in Dereham Norfolk UK.

Just Lurking at the moment.

I have a Symbol mc35 with Beelinegps installed.

I have visited 4 caches in the last couple of days with my 8 year old son, and found nothing!!!

The software / gps says i'm like 5 feet away etc but I have found nothing!!

Am I missing something?

Oh and "The Lurkers" were a great punk band during the 1970's..........well you asked!! :huh:

The Lurkers

Hi! I've been lurking in the forum for quite awhile, but only very recently started posting.

I've been caching for just about 2 years now, and I cache under the name "Brainzane & Yossface" these days. gypsyofthesky, I think that's par for the course when getting started caching. I know I had the same experience for awhile before my caching-sense kicked in. The best advice another cacher gave me was to pay less attention to what the GPSr is telling you, and more attention to what just feels a little out of place. You'll be spotting suspicious piles of sticks and rocks before you know it!

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Hello to all !!!! I guess i am the latest "LURKER" !My team consists of hubby, myself, kids, and gkids. The gkids and I are the ones that are most addicted and we have only found 2 caches.....We use a Garmin 200W and it is an awesome piece of technology !!!!! I will be lurking the forums because I know the answers I seek are posted by my new friends. I'm so happy that I found the world of Geocaching. Thanks for all the advice and I hope to meet you all someday

Regards,

Donna

Edited by TeamRDCBJA

Hi! I've been lurking in the forum for quite awhile, but only very recently started posting.

I've been caching for just about 2 years now, and I cache under the name "Brainzane & Yossface" these days. gypsyofthesky, I think that's par for the course when getting started caching. I know I had the same experience for awhile before my caching-sense kicked in. The best advice another cacher gave me was to pay less attention to what the GPSr is telling you, and more attention to what just feels a little out of place. You'll be spotting suspicious piles of sticks and rocks before you know it!

Thanx for the reply - I suppose I should think like the person who hid the cache etc...hopefully will find something soon!!! :D

brand new to the whole idea of geocashing.....went on my first hunt today and completely failed. i must have been circling over the spot and just never stumbled upon. oh well!

i figure most of my questions have already been asked, so I will continue to lurk for awhile.

cheers!

thebluehen

brand new to the whole idea of geocashing.....went on my first hunt today and completely failed. i must have been circling over the spot and just never stumbled upon. oh well!

i figure most of my questions have already been asked, so I will continue to lurk for awhile.

cheers!

thebluehen

Hello All,

I'm new to Geo-caching and am enjoying it tremendously. Lurking seems to be a strong word. Conjures up thoughts of evil deeds or something. Loitering may be appropriate. Lurking, Loitering, Nib ####ing, whatever. Figured I'ld better Introduce myself. Have learned alot on these forums and I thank you for them. Hope to join in soon.

Thanx again................. Indiana Jonesin'

Hey,

I am a lurker because I am very new to the sport and I did not even know how to post. I lurk to try to learn new things. I am gear illiterate and in my past have rock climbed, mountain climbed and kayaked and completely enjoyed it as long as someone else outfitted me. I couldn't even tell you what kind of shoes or boat i had. I take my kids and we go treasure hunting and I hope that they like it half as much as I do, because I truly love it and it is hard sometimes to let them (my kids) actually find the "treasure". I have only found 16 (because I can only convince my 3 and 4 year old to go with me every few days :laughing: !!) I have done it on a borrowed GPS but I finally bought my own and I do have a few questions but I will try to post in the "proper" place.

Thanks for letting me feel comfortable!!

Hi, I'm just lurking right now cause this sport/hobby is very new to me. A buddy of mine just let me know about it this past Monday but I've had a lot of hobbies in the past 30 years. Cycling, hunting, collecting things, fishing, reenacting, etc... It doesn't matter what type of forum you visit there is always people that want to cause trouble and be negitive. I've not visited this forum enough yet to see a lot of the "ugly" yet so will continue to try and learn as I go. So far I see only positive things. I've only looked for one cache close by where I live and it wasn't there, but it really didn't matter that much because it was just fun looking. I hope to place a few caches once I get them approved in my local area because there actually are very few here (West Central Illinois).

I hope that I'll learn much from this forum and I look forward to making this a hobby for my whole family.

Thanks for any help that I gleam from this site in advance.

Hello,

I joined this site the other day....I'm in Dereham Norfolk UK.

Just Lurking at the moment.

I have a Symbol mc35 with Beelinegps installed.

I have visited 4 caches in the last couple of days with my 8 year old son, and found nothing!!!

The software / gps says i'm like 5 feet away etc but I have found nothing!!

Am I missing something?

Oh and "The Lurkers" were a great punk band during the 1970's..........well you asked!! :D

The Lurkers

Hi Gypsyofthesky,

I am also new to geocaching and I have many frustrating episodes as the one you mention... I've been three times to the same park looking for a couple of caches that I can't find! The worst thing is that there are online logs for these caches with pictures of 6 year-old kids who have found them :D

I think it's part of the learning process... I start to feel a little improvement already and I don't feel like giving up so soon anymore when I am looking for a new cache.

For what I've read here, we should start thinking as cachers - that is, asking ourselves: where would I,ve placed a cache in this environment?

Anyway, DNF it's extremely frustrating :D

I read a lot of the forums but only reply when I need a good laugh. I'm more of a waymarker and those forums are "serious business". Sarcasm isn't detected or appreciated there. Some people can get you pulling out your hair in frustration because they'll ask a question and then refuse to read and oh god the circular arguments and petty infantile behavior and...

*cough*

Sorry. :anibad:

Anyway, I come here when I just want to wash out the bad taste in my mouth. Even though I don't geocache as much as I waymark and these forums can get a bit nasty at times, I like to use them to have a good laugh... and there's plenty here for that. :blink:

- Elle

To Gypsyofthesky,

I am also new to geocaching. Stick with it--it does get easier. I brought my 70 year old father with myself and my kids and he thought I was "cheating"--that I hid things in the woods to pretend I could find them. After the first couple you truly get better at not only thinking where could it be but seeing things in the environment that are slightly askew--logs, rocks, whatever.

Anyway good luck

JJB&A

:yikes: when you think there is no where else to look,,, look back where you started looking,, you were probably correct,,, just not "there". Im fairly new to this as well, but have a keen sense,, and have no DNF's. If you aren't sure about your target, find more resources, and/or, ask the person who placed it for a hint. Two of the caches I FINALLY found after multiple visits, were due to others like myself and you, that are new, and learning some of the SNEAKY AND UNDERHANDED tricks that some of these owners are used to.

Anyway, don't give up. It's actually a "kick in your own butt" when you find something that you have looked straight at a couple of times.

Stephan

G'day,

Just another newbie poppin' in to say hey.

I'm relatively new to geocaching but have placed and found a few in the last couple of years. I just got an old '96 Geo Tracker and thought it would be fun to geocache in the Geo. Easier on the gas than the crew cab mate, that's for sure.

Well, I'll see ya round

Hi there from Ridgecrest CA. My family and I are really excited to be getting into the wonderful world of GeoCaching. Found our first Aug 20, 2008. And actually have scored a FTF(GC1F4C4) just yesterday. :) So way cool.

Will be lurking to learn all we can and hopefully can start hiding some.

I'm Michael, and I am a GeoCacher.

I am the patriarch of The Starry Family. Wifey, Nikki, is the matriarch. Our crown princess is "The Bean" and our loyal protector is Hugo the Dog.

I would suppose that we will post on here in the future, but for now it is simply a matter of observation. :cry:

Edited by The Starry Family

:sad: Well, here's my story. I bought a Magellan eXplorist recently on eBay to just help me find my way out of the woods when I go exploring. After I'd made the purchase I was rereading the ad from the auction I'd won and saw the seller mentioned "geocaching". Not knowing what it was I went to Yahoo and did a search on the word. Turns out that it looks like something I will more than likely become quickly addicted to.

I'm praying that my GPS will arrive today in the mail and then I will be able get out there and find a few local caches. So for about the last 4 or 5 days I've been lurking around reading posts and trying to learn as much as I can about my new hobby.

So my stats are 0 posts before this one, 0 caches found, 0 caches hidden and 0 GPSs owned (at least in my possession that I can use). Thanks to all who've been instrumental in my education so far and hopefully when I'm out searching for caches I'll remember all the wisdom I've picked up on discussion boards and other areas of this site.

Will I continue to be a lurker? No, I'm not the type to sit around and never put in my $0.02 so I'll chime in from to time to time. I'm a little on the shy side so you won't hear from me every day but I'll lurk as frequently as possible.

Thanks again to everybody for helping to not only educate me on the sport of geocaching, but also for helping to keep me occupied while I've been waiting (not to patiently) for my GPS to arrive. Hopefully next time I start rambling on here it will be brag that I've found my first cache!!

Have a great day everybody!!! :sad:

A quick intro...Had a GPS for hunting when my lovely wife saw a Geocaching spot on the news. We logged in the site and tracked down a few local caches. It is a fun family event we do to bring all of us together. Even had my parents in this week hunting caches in the Northern woods of Wisconsin.

We call ourselves the GEO-NINJA's <_< , the name is derived from my youngest daughters love for Ninja's at the time (Now it happens to be boys) :anibad: But as a family of 6 it gives us all a way to escape the TV and internet and enjoy the weather.

We have 4 caches registered and from them I posted 4 comments. There are 2 more that we did not post for some reason or anthoer but I will not become a lurker in the Geocaching world...at least I hope not :ph34r:

:unsure: Geo-Ninjas :rolleyes:

Edited by Geo-Ninjas

Well I am Fr. Richard (ya an Orthodox Priest) -- I am new to Geocaching. Now live in NW Virginia, just came up from Central West Florida where I used to Orienteer, but now may do both here. Just got into this 2 days ago. found a few caches without a GPS, as I do not have one yet, need funds and all that. The new feature of driving directions has helped me to get started and for the most part 5 out of 8 finds I did not think was bad, then I found out one of them is not there anymore, so even felt better.

Attitude with Gratitude!

hi folks. rick here. i've been lurking for a few days now. i started geocaching about two weeks ago with my two young kids, while on vacation, but had limited web access; just enough to get some waypoints. i have at least several questions. i've been trying to find some answers before asking them all, cuz i'm betting they've been asked before. finding a lot of good info, but also getting a bit overwhelmed, mostly in the gps techno talk. i think i'll do better keeping it simple for now. my questions will probably start popping up pretty soon.

Edited by jem707

Howdy

I'm from Belgium, and use to be most of my free time outdoors with a metal detector or a digital camera.

Thought I could use a GPS unit for both my hobbies and got myself an Etrex H last week. Seems to do well, except the odometer, but I am to get used to it.

That's how I discovered geocaching, and there are some caches not so far from places I live or know, so I hope to discover my first one very soon.

"HI, my name is Orygun and I'm a cache-aholic..."

I signed up when I first moved to AK 2 years ago, but was pretty sporadic with the finds until recently. I generally much ignore forums , they're too mean/offtopic/ruled by a select few. This is across the board with all my hobbys( I don't hang out inthe NaNoWriMo or fiber arts forums either). I guess that's actually not to my benefit, as when you post a question most places you get ignored if your not a frequent poster. (I don't know if it's like that here.) I didn't stumble across the GC forum until I had a problem and a google search led me here for the answer. That happened a few times, and in the last month or so I've started lurking here and at geocachealaska.org when I have nothing better to do. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's informational... sometimes it's crap. But that's they way of everything isn't it?

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :rolleyes:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Im Matt, new to this site. I want help with my Hp Ipaq 114 bundle -pda and gps. I want assess to the internet. Can you help please

Ok Guess it is time to check in. My Name is Todd Fiebranz My caching partner is my Son Alex. We just started and both love it. I got started when I went and bought a GPS for my Car. I litterally tried 5 different units before I finally settled on the Garmin Nuvi255W. I had been doing alot of reading and such wanted to do cacheing with my car unit found that would not be a very good choice to do. So I picked up a Garmin Etrex Venture HC. This so far seems to be a nice unit I have 30 days to return if I don't like it, I am weighing my options right now as I would like a bit more expandability with SD cards options of the Vista HCx. So anyway. We have 3 Caches found so far and have loved every minute of it. Give him and I some real good father son time. I am hoping that I can get the rest of the family to give it a try. Time will tell.

Thanks,

Todd (Damin69)

Hello, we are from Vincennes, Indiana.

We joined in 2002, but never Geocached, we finally started this year, and now we wished we would have started sooner! We decided to become Premium members. I found out about Geocaching through another Geocacher who came to Ouabache Trails Park to hide a cache and he explained it to me, and I thought it was the neatest thing. Went home and checked it out on the net, told my husband about it. But we never really got around to doing anything until this year. Anyways, thanks to the unknown person who I cant remember who you are, but I remember what you look like I think, for introducing me to Geocaching!

i am new to the whole geocaching experience but i have checked out the forums. as with anyother forum, i wouldnt post anything due to the fact that WHATEVER you say someone can turn it around and make you out to be a complete idiot or a racist or whatever. the point is... maybe we should all be using the forums for what they are meant for and that is helping other cachers out. not everyone has 4 million finds, and knows everything about gps and camo duct tape..... but the ones who dont could use the help from the ones who do. noone wants to be made an a** of.

Hello, I'm coming out of the lurking closet with this post.

m'name's Matt, (dragondrop) and my blog (which I've blogged about my geocache experiences) is here : www.dragondrop.org. I'm from Harrogate, North Yorkshire. UK

I've only been into geocaching for a couple of months and have only found 21 hidden 1. Absolutely loving this sport. because;

It's a great activity that the whole of my family enjoy

It gets us to some new places - even on our doorstep that we'd never explored before

It's a top buzz!

It's good excersize

It's not very expensive once set up

etc!

tftc!

Edited by dragondrop