Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Another lurker here. I'm not usually a lurker on forums, but I am just new to geocaching so I really don't have anything to add to threads already started. I'm also so new, I don't even know even know what questions to ask.

I guarantee once I get my feet wet, I'll be posting with a frenzy.

Thanks for the intro thread. I couldn't even find this. HA!

Ang.

I lurked occasionally until recently--I had an etiquette question and posted it. I was amazed to see how quickly it degenerated into a contentious debate. It won't keep me from posting in the future but I'm less inclined to be an active participant.

Cheers to everyone who keeps their posts friendly & on topic!

CharliePop

Charlie brings up an interesting point. I belong to a different discussion forum (a couple actually) and it amazes me how fast things polarize to opposite sides of the issue. And in the one they are also inclined to practice "post mortem equine masochism (i.e beating a dead horse).

Anyway, keep posting Charlie, you soon get good at filtering out what is useful and what is petty bickering.

All the Best

Rod Kennedy

Casper WY :)

Hello first time poster we are fairly new at caching but love it and I think it about time to introduce ourselves our user name was supposed to be team havic but for some reason the sit wouldnt take the username so we went with our usual screen name havic427. We are a family of six who would have until just a few weeks ago sit around the house playing with our animals (on our othe forums we are known as the havic zoo). Or the children arguing with each other but now we out hiking and working together. this is a great activity for the whole family. We hiked atleast 5 miles this weekend, we were exusted at the end of the day but the kids went to went to bed with out argument tonight...lol...it is usually a fight to get them into bed but tonight we said go to bed and they said ok and off they went and fell strait to sleep. thank you geocaching gods for giving us this wonderful sport.

havic427

Brian, Chrissy, Dilyen, Dakota, Chyanne, Sierra

oldest to youngest

signed this time by Chrissy

Hi everyone, I am very new to this geocaching thing. I have not even went on my first hunt yet. I borrowed a GPS from a friend and plan to try it out this weekend. I have been reading the discussions a lot to see how fun this "game" can be. I hope I will find geocaching as fun as everyone else!

:D I am a Lurker! There, I said it! I'm a newbie to geocaching. Found my first cache yesterday. It has been a blast so far. I'm here daily soaking up knowledge about geocaching, hiking, etc. Never thought I had any information that was worthy of being posted. That's why I lurked! Lol! I suspect i'll gradually open up to the world of posting. Hope to meet you all on the trails! Happy hunting!

Hi, I usually look around on the Groundspeak forum because I haven't currently got any questions about geocaching. :) We're NickandDad. We (my dad and I) started geocaching back in 2006 and we haven't gone geocache hunting lately because we've found most of the caches in our town.

0NickandDad :lol:

Edited by NickandDad

Like several others have said...I'm a lurker, sort of. I'm also rather new to the forums. I do read them a lot, and learn TONS, and hope to post more. Also, like others have said, if it's a flame war, I'll read it, to see everybody's opinions, but I like to stay out of it.

Edited by Toaster Rodeo

Hi there,

While I am new to this sport, and this forum, I have been involved with other forums for quite some time. Here's the thing, they all have the same problems. I lurk because I have seen soooooooo much nonsensical &*%$ when a "noob" posts something, or there are those that are in the forums just to "flame" or they just thrive on the drama of cyber bullying. Maybe it's just that these people are really trying to compensate for their own ineptitude or self esteem issues by trying to prove they are better than the rest by adding to thier post count with off-topic insults or other cajolery. I don't know, but this is the first night I have come into this forum, and I witnessed the same smarmy comments about how someone asked a question (of course they didn't ANSWER) as every other forum I am a member of. I just don't get it, If you don't have anything nice to say, why say it?

Sorry, not to drag on, I am new to the sport, I am an Eagle Scout and have pretty much grown up in the woods, hunting and fishing are my real passions. I was a BM/Rescue swimmer in the CG, and thus have been involved with GPS technology for quite a while, nice to see it used for fun instead of the usual dire situations I used it for in the past. I got my wife and kids hooked too, it really is a great family sport! I really am shocked about how many caches are out there! How many time must I have walked right by one and never knew!!!!!

I am always looking for new friends, so maybe we'll run into one another on a cache hunt some time! Until then, Cache On!!!

Edited by TheCowboyWayne

*waves*

Hi all. Newbie here... so I guess not technically a lurker, since I haven't been around long enough to lurk.

I heard about geocaching years ago, but never really tried it. Recently my boss brought it up as an idea for a Team Building activity. So I started looking into it again. Now I've found one (although that was a bit of a cheat since it was on my school's campus!) and have planned a trip for my team.

See me in a few days, and my find count will (hopefully) be much higher!

I haven't looked in enough threads to see the flame wars and such... but I'll keep my nose out of the mess and enjoy watching and learning for awhile.

~Ariel

Hi I am mailing from Denmark - Europe. Just to say hi. English is not my first language, so just to write this i am sitting with at big book, and hope i get everything as it should be. By the way - maybe we ar many from over here so all the lurkers not are lurkers, but we just dont know how to write in english :unsure:

Happy easter over there.

I'm brand new to this game and I'm loving it. It's a lot of fun and a great way to get out of the house. I guess I don't post much here because, what's the point? If I have a question, a little bit of searching around the forums usually reveals the answer because someone else asked it already. It's not worth dealing with the morons who start in on "noobs" (which I feel is the most ridiculously lazy insult I've ever heard by the way).

Anyway, I'm originally from Boston MA. but currently reside in Anchorage AK. I heard about geocaching from an instructor of mine at UMASS and thought it sounded pretty cool. However, being a poor college student I couldn't afford the GPSr so I didn't give it another thought. A few months back, while sitting in my living room wondering what I can do in the middle of an Alaskan winter, I stumbled across this website about geocaching. I figured, what the hell? Go buy a unit and get started. I'm glad I did because the rest is (recent) history. :blink:

I found my first cache in May of 2001 back when there were 13 caches in Massachusetts. Still caching but only lurking at the forum since way back when. No reason other than I would rather be outside than posting.

But since I just picked up a Garmin nuvi 750 and I just downloaded Bobcat since I am solely Macintosh I come here to figure out what I can do.

So what can I do?

1) A geocaching.loc file does not seem compatible with Bobcat. What's the quick and easy way to download selected caches?

2) The map inside Bobcat is just a rough map. Can I somehow get the more complex map off the nuvi and into Bobcat or do I have to buy it. Which map is the better buy?

I'll be searching for the answers here meanwhile I just nailed another state and two new countries. St Martins, both Dutch and French.

Wow, has this place changed or what? I guess I hadn't noticed some new buttons.

I clicked on "send to gps" on a few geocaching pages. Then in the pop up window I "wrote" to the gps. Then I disconnected and connected my gps to my mac and "received" my data. Now those geocaches are on my Mac computer map as well as my nuvi gps.

Thanks geocaching that was a lot easier than seven years ago. Once I was punching the long/lat in by had at 5 in the morning an I transposed a number two hours later I was on the edge of MuleyTwist drop off trying to get to a coordinate which was actually twenty feet off the cliff face.

I'm not so much a lurker as I am a newb. I've heard and read about geocaching for years. I knew I would like it, but never took the plunge. When I was in Iraq I Google'd geocaching again and discovered and incredible amount of geocaches in my town. I found my first two caches today... and a hooked! I see myself geocaching for many many years to come.

East Ferry Pirate32 and no I'm not a lurker! Just started geocaching a little while ago so I guess I'm

a newbie! Took some time to figure out how to log my finds and travel bugs.But I do like to

snoop a people's profiles to see who's who and see who is in my area.This is really cool and I love it!

Keeps me active and the kids love it too-Have a good one :unsure:

Hello All! I just started this whole thing because my pal Ariel had mentioned it to me that she had been doing this during a team building excercise. It quite sparked my interest and I soon found that there are plenty of caches in my area.....I've found a few so far without a GPS but I think soon I will be purchasing one!

Have fun everyone!

Croc ~,---;<

Hello All! I just started this whole thing because my pal Ariel had mentioned it to me that she had been doing this during a team building excercise. It quite sparked my interest and I soon found that there are plenty of caches in my area.....I've found a few so far without a GPS but I think soon I will be purchasing one!

Have fun everyone!

Croc ~,---;<

*bouncy* Croc made it! Yay!!!

Addicting little pasttime, huh? :laughing:

I just bought a GPS and Palm... so I can go paperless.

*wave* Hi friend. :laughing:

~A

hi everyone, i did a gps training seminar on saturday to help me become better aquainted with my gps and how to use the darn thing. during the class the subject of geocaching came up and i found this site saturday afternoon. sunday morning my son and i found our first cache. i guess you could say that we're hooked.

Hello all - Caching since December 2007, my honey got me a GPS for off-road jeeping and hiking adventures. Discovered Geocaching while learning about my Garmin - this is a hobby made for me - always loved treasure and scavenger hunts, finding and making them, hiking and camping and using topographical maps. I logged my 50th cache a couple days ago, I've hidden 2, got 2-3 FTFs and have interested several friends in the hobby too.

I've 'lurked' in the forums for etiquette for cache hides and hints on successful travel bugs. I'm here tonight while my chicken roasts - looking for how to do the html and smilies to 'pretty up' my cache hides and logs [HMM the codes and the smilies are right here for the forums!!]. java script:emoticon(':)',%20'smid_8') I'd love to learn how to deal with puzzle caches too!

I've mostly found the postings funny and vents seem to be frustration vents and not mean!

Thanks all,

SandyDuff

Hey all. My name is Curt, I am new to geocaching, but we went out for the first time yesterday, and found 3. We are going out again today. I didn't think my wife and I would enjoy it so much, but we do. My wife enjoys writing in the logs and seeing who else has been there. I am just enjoying spending time outside with her.

Hello :(

Don't know if this counts as lurking, as it's my first time on the forums...

Mate of mine got me into this geocaching stuff, and we've been out and found about 6 so far in the UK. I'm really getting addicted. Wonderful hobby, and a great way to get out and see some beautiful areas.

I look forward to chatting with you all

Roberto :unsure:

Edited by PawnStar

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :anitongue:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :anitongue:

Hello, my names is Rich and I'm from Massachusetts. New to geocaching and new to the forums. I just started and have yet to purchase my GPS unit yet. I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 for my vehicles. I was given the nick name "G-MAN" many years ago, but usually only called that when Im with my motorcycle crew .

Edited by NKGMAN

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. <_<

Hi dronnord here..looking for geocaching event ,coin dipping protocal..? :laughing:

Hi all, We are in NC...

We are new to caching and I have lurked into the forums for general info. a couple of times. We started geo & terra caching as a family not that long ago. When we stumbled onto geocaching neither of us realized that it was so big. So many caches and so little time to cache, due to jobs. :)

Just another "newbie" to geocaching. Looking forward to learning, exploring, and enjoying. My husband bought me the gps for my birthday and we went out for the first time yesterday. Planning on setting my own cache soon...just waiting for the ground to thaw up here!

Hello

This is my first post, and I thought this was as good a place as any to post it. I'm Coricopat, from Georgia, and I just married into the whole Geocaching thing. Or, I'll be marrying into it next month. :rolleyes: Anyway, can't wait to get out there and find some caches. Sounds like fun!

hi all, i'm a lurker, sort of. i have been away from geocaching for a year (started in 2002) and now getting back into it. mostly i just read posts, but i do like replying to the ones i find interesting. and i discovered geocoins this time around! way different than the ones from canada we used to originally buy. boy that's a way to spend money!

ok, bye now.

rsg

Hello!!

I Guess you could say we are lurkers. We have been geocaching as a family since July of 2007 after our friends showed us how one night. We are from South Dakota. We visit the forum on and off and have posted a few times. Generally just read the topics to get a better idea on geocaching or to help us answer questions that we may have. Learned some fun things off here already. Thanks

Well, I guess I will stop lurking :(. I am a school administrator and have found caching to be a great family activity. Our kids love the treasure hunting aspect and I love the time outdoors. My kids have hidden our first caches so the fun just continues.

I've known about GeoCaching for a few years but never tried it because I didn't have a GPS. I bought a GPS about a year ago for other reasons, then a couple weeks ago, GeoCaching suddenly resurfaced in my brain for some unknown reason. So I'm getting started with about a half dozen finds under my belt.

I probably won't post much, until I get a feel for the mood here. I know how forums can get ugly sometimes.

WOW! My first post. Ever! Anywhere! My son and I will probably be the one's into caching and we'll try to get my wife involved too.I've been a lurker guest up until 5 days ago when I finally signed up. Been lurking for a couple of months now. Still don't have a GPS as of yet, . . . but I will! Only searched for 1 cache as of now, found it, but didn't log it as I was not signed up at the time, now I'll go back for an official find( as our first ). I'm so gigged for this game that it's driving my wife nuts just hearing about it! :drama: