Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

I do a lot of lurking. I have asked a few questions on occasion and have received good information as a result. Now and then I do comment on a thread. The forums are helpful and provide a place where many people can discuss something they have in common. I love this obsession! Since my wife and I have starting geocaching we spend more time together hiking and visiting historical places. To me that is what geocaching is all about. My youngest son (19) is getting into this too and that is allowing us to spend more tome together. I guess I'd rather spend my time looking for caches with my family and friends than posting notes here, but I appreciate being able to use the forums when I need help with an issue. Okay, I also enjoy the humor I find here as well, especially now that it is winter and it has been difficult to get out and cache.

Hi, I am Mike, Tonto10 and Geo with my wife. New since May, and have never posted on here. Looked a couple times for info and have a hard time wading thru. Came on today and was looking for some hints about caching in the snow and my search landed me in someone asking about a PDA and within several hints they were "informed" they aren't called Palm Pilots anymore.

Who really cares? I am about on my 3 or 4th "small handheld keep all your stuff in one spot" gadgets, both phone and freestanding. If somebody corrected me when I said I had a Palm Pilot.....I would just give him a look.....

Same as if somebody asked me to Zerox for them and I said "nope, can't do it, I have an HP"

Oh well....I will probably just look and ask for caching advice from friends.

Hey I am Greg AKA Parzival. I've actually been on the forums for over a year I just don't post all that much unless I have a question.

I run a geocaching blog where I try to update mostly family and friends about my comings and goings.

I can usually be seen lurking in the woods with my geodog, Henry, the german shepherd.

Hi not a lurker.... but returning to be active again. I like how the website has changed... hmmm.... and Jeremy is still using that geocacher secret signal???

Reapplied as premium member again, working with a new computer... with windows vista and dang something do not work right yet.

Look for me to be out n about soon to stumblilng on the trails.... loosing my gps down big critter holes, doing those long walks when the cache is 10 feet to one side... but 800 feet up a steep trail. Yikes geocaching is so much fun.

Charles

Mt Vernon WA

Hello all.

Santa (my wonderful wife) got me a GPSr for Christmas this year after i did some research on Geocaching and started begging for a one... B) . I think there seems to be some karma involved because on our first two finds she was the one who made the discovery..lol. so i confess to my lurking the last few weeks. i cant tell you all how much i love the hunt. i have discovered the value of the exercise involved and it is so much more enjoyable then walking around around the block which bores me to death.

Danny

I am relatively new to GeoCaching. Found a reference to it on a financial/investment forum a month ago and got curious.

I am a long time hiker/camper and map and compass guy. Finally broke down about 10 years ago and bought a Garmin GPS 12 – mostly for canoeing and kayaking in Okefenokee Swamp and marsh flats in GA and Florida Coasts where everything looks the same and land marks are hard to find. Back tracking facility in the GPS has been just a wonderful thing several times on those trips.

Still using the GPS 12 and I am loving GeoCaching. Met a few great folks on line and by accident while looking for caches.

Cheers,

HopsMaltYeast

Hi;

My nasme is Dave, aka nativefly182, & I was introduced to Geocaching by a good friend.

I looked up this site & was hooked.

I am waitng on my gps to be delivered, hopefully this week, then I'll start "finding

" caches. When I'm comfortable finding, then I'll start caching.

Edited by nativefly182

Hello there. I am kinda of lurker. I like to read alot of the forum posts but do not always

reply. My name is Jeremy and my caching name is Dardevle. I gave myself that name

because I have a tattoo of a red and white dardevle fishing lure on my right arm and

a black and white one on my left arm. I also have the face of the Dardevle lure tattood twice on

my back. One on each shoulder and my first and middle name inbetween them. Thats about it

though. I love to hunt, fish, geocahe. Really if it has to do with being outdoors I like it.

Especially Ice Fishing. I get laid off in the winter months so I get out on average of 2-3 times

a week on the ice. The rest of my time during the week is taking care of our 5yr old daughter and

getting ready for our 2nd daughter due at the end of this month. I drive Belly dump and love to be on the road

in the summer. Mostly locall work, some work in Wisconsin but home every night. Gotta like that.

Thats me in a nut shell.

Edited by dardevle

I'm Steve, or sumajman. I live in Quito, Ecuador and am a relatively new geocacher. Found out about geocaching while at some training in northern Idaho in June. As soon as I got back to Ecuador I found the first of the several caches here up on the Pichincha volcano. I was hooked! We have a low cache density but are working on that. :)

We've been lurking on and off since the spring of 2007. Probably we still are considered newbies since we have found fewer than 100 caches, but we're working on that. Lately I've been caching on my own, the other two members of the team are way busy. Usually I cruise through the forums looking for any posts about upcoming cache raids in our area, because it's more fun to go out with other cachers.

Aside from geocaching we like to do genealogy research, play D&D, and hang out with our friends.

Hi all. Like many on the forum, we did get GPS units from Santa. We are family of 5. My oldest son was told about geocaching by his math teacher. We have had car GPS units for a few years now, so that is nothing new and so we found it easy to adapt to hand-held units.

Geocaching is awesome. What great things we have seen already.

We did one cache near a beaver dam, and it was really neat to show the kids the beaver "chewings," how they make their dams, the "destruction" it causes, why beavers can be considered a nuisance by some . . . We got to see that firsthand and close up.

Now, in the summer when I come home with poison ivy and come to this forum crying about it, I hope to receive some heartfelt sympathy. :laughing:

hi

im tripp from north central fl. i have a garmin e trex that i received for christmas

i have about 75 finds under my belt and 8 hides.

i am ready to upgrade my GPSr to one that has a sd slot and is a able to have the cords sent to it

Talk to you later

TRiPP.

hi

im tripp from north central fl. i have a garmin e trex that i received for christmas

i have about 75 finds under my belt and 8 hides.

i am ready to upgrade my GPSr to one that has a sd slot and is a able to have the cords sent to it

Talk to you later

TRiPP.

:unsure: Hi I am a lurker... I only found this site yesterday. I first heard about Geocaching from my cousin this past September. It sounded like it was right up my alley. I love to be outdoors, camp, and hike. I also love to stray off trail (without destroying vegetation :unsure: ). I am starting out with a Garmin Etrex H. I have found two caches I just have to wait until the snow melts and time it just right so my Husband and I are not spotted by Muggles. I already have an idea of where I would like to place a few caches once I get the hang of it.

I've been a geocacher since July, but never really visited the forums much. I went here a few times to get an answer to questions that someone else had already posted. I never really saw a post that made me want to post a reply to it.

The post about winter caching finally made me decide to post since that was something I've been thinking about lately as well.

So, I decided I'd post in here too since this post interested me as well and I saw this after I posted in the other one. :D

Evening ! ! ! don't mean to be a lurker, just signed in the forum. new to the forum but not geocaching. just couldn't remember my old password, and the e-mail address ad changed, So

anyway i am glad to be here, hope it will be for a while, but my job says it won't be as long as i would like.

get to play here for a little while... if i can find more ammo cans i will place another cache in the area.

SSG Crenshaw

Hi, I guess at this point we will be part of the lurking group. Brand new to geocaching. My husband and I have 21 finds so far, and are totally enjoying the sport. We are coming into our golden years and looking for something to keep us active and busy after retirement. Hope you don't mind us checking in for hints and help.

I've been around as a non member for some time just checking the place out. Now that I've become interested in Geocaching and own a GPS, I've decided to become a member and come out in the open.

I'm from Washington and the small town of Twisp in the Methow Valley. And i've already found a member here that I work with... I didn't know that she and her husband were into this :unsure: Goes to show you how little I know about them...

I tried for my first cache today but was unable to locate it due to the deep snow. Guess I'll wait until spring on that one. I'm taking a trip in a couple of days and will be trying my luck along the way... Not everyone has two to three feet of snow so I should have better luck

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :drama:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Edited by venturewoman

My second post. Don't recall the first one, but I see I made one sometime a couple of years ago. I'm Venturewoman, from Ohio. I just like to get out there and cache, with my children or my friends or my scout troop. I don't see what there is to get so worked up about, on this forum site. I've never encountered anything unpleasant, in over a year of caching. Now, I know that's not a long time by some standards, but I have over fifty finds, so I'm not spring green. Forget the politics...I just want to have fun.

Edited by venturewoman

I was surprised to find that many of the Groundspeak forums are of interest to me.

I was skeptical at first, so I just scanned through a bunch of discussions...I guess that makes me a "lurker" of sorts. However, it was just after a few scanning sessions that I started to feel like I had something to add as well as to learn in the forums. At that point, I joined, and not long after, went "premium".

I now get on once or twice a week. It sure beats watching the Presidential Primary stuff on the tube.

In the long run, many "lurkers" will eventually become contributers, so I say, "Let'em watch!"

I enjoy reading the posts and would and will try to help anyone who needs assistance. Unfortunately, as with any discussion forum, there are so many out there that use it to argue and be negative. True, there are negative things that need attention, but as we are all in a common hobby, and hopefully everyone enjoys it as much as we do, I hope to keep finding more positive things here. Sounds really corny, but there are enough problems in life without ruining a wonderful sport and hobby.

I am on the forums a lot and I usually like what everyone has to say. There have been a few times when I have posted a response but most of the time I just read. I guess I'm just not a talkative person.

I do agree on what you said about some people being just plain mean. There are a few cachers out there that I ignore... meaning I won't even read their posts I just keep on scrolling, because they never have anything nice to say. These forums are supposed to be fun and helpful, and if someone asks you to be honest about something that does not give you an open door for a rude or snyde comment.

other than that, I hope that everyone has a wonderful day full of great caches and wonderful prizes!

ccwrestlechik105- TEAM NIGHTWATCH

I have been geocaching for a little over 2 years. I have aboout 80 finds and 12 hidden. I live in the desert of N.M. and ther is not many caches within 50 miles of me but I am trying to get the sport up and running more. This is the 1st. time I have been on here and only came because I had a question , and was looking for some help. Thank you.

I have been geocaching for a little over 2 years. I have aboout 80 finds and 12 hidden. I live in the desert of N.M. and ther is not many caches within 50 miles of me but I am trying to get the sport up and running more. This is the 1st. time I have been on here and only came because I had a question , and was looking for some help. Thank you.

Hi rocking r--

sorry to see that on your very first post asking for help, what you got were some not very helpful replies. I added a reply to that thread that should answer your question.

Hi,

Hope to be posting some stuff in the near future. The GPS is due to turn up tomorrow so we're hoping to find some of those Cornish caches too. There seems to be loads within a very short drive from home and in some seriously stunning places. So, if you see someone looking confused, walking a black labrador near one of your caches, do say hello, it could be me.

All the best,

Steve P,

Polperro,

Cornwall.

Hi people. I don't know where to go to ask for help, so I'm just going to ask here. I found a cache yesterday, noticed it completely by accident while picking up my dogs leavings. Stupid me picked it up without properly looking through it until i got home. Unfortunately, I don't actually own a GPS, so i can't play, but i would like to put it back for other people to find. I'm pretty sure i remember where it was , but I'm not entirely positive. What should i do?

El Haggis,

What I would go is go to the "hide/seek geocache" area on the gc.com website, enter your zipcode, then choose the right hand corner "map it" option, find the cache on the map that you believe is the right one, click on the cache page, click on the part where it says who the cache owner (hider) is, so that it takes you to their page, and send then a message (contact info on cache page) and tell them what happened, or add a log on the cache page "needs maintenance" and leave specific information on what you are going to do (example - "I took it back to the area but I am not sure exactly where it was, cache owner will want to check on it"). Probably best to contact the cache owner and meet up with them somehow to give them their cache back. Hope this helps.

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :unsure:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Hi---rods&ropes here: just got my vista c upgraded to a vista Cx and was curious as how do you know if your gps is accurate and how much?

i am new and i lurk around these forums to answere the questions i have. i didnt read the book on all of this so these forums and all of you guys (and girls) who post are kind of like teachers for all us who are new. i have posted before and i guess asked what was a stupid question and "mr. geocacher" was a freakin rearend for lack of a better word with his reply, and that really turned me off to posting or getting involved in any way. i guess the whole first impression thing applies here.

I'm a relatively new cacher, just since 31 Dec 2007, so I come to the forums for tips, info and a sense of the sport that will cause me to cache with integrity & to add value.

I love the sense of explortation, having an insatiable curiosity. Caching keeps me active & always looking rather than just passing by parks and places of interest.

I'm starting to place caches now.

This is where I want to add value. I want to place caches of interest, either with a clever twist or in a place people should visit.

I'm a Mac user living in New Zealand, a lovely place to cache as we have no snakes, few critters with teeth or poison & amazing scenery that never gets old. The weather can be a bit soggy through the winter, but most of NZ is never shoulder deep in snow.

I've enjoyed one recent cache event and look forward to another next weekend!

Just wrot ethis so you;'d know who is "lurking" in the forums. I'm not in this for the arguments, slagging or politics. Just for the fun & personal development, a bit of social & physical fitness.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to geocaching. I would first like to point out something about my user name though. It was supposed to be "Wanderingsapper" not "Wonderingsapper", but I got lit on Keiler Weissbier the night I created my account and couldn't spell. So, I'm stuck with the current user name. I first started wandering around the hills trying to set new personal records for the number of kilometers logged on foot for a set number of days, vertical meters traversed per day etc(basically anything to not think about work), when a friend turned me on to Geocaching. So now I start far away from caches and use them as the midpoint of my excursions. I normally don't post to, or lurk around forums due to the large numbers of bashers, but geocachers seem to be a pretty good group of people, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Thanks for the thread!

Wonderingsapper