Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

*Lurk lurk lurk.* But no longer... until after this post. As has been said many times already - it does seem there are many outspoken geocachers around the forums, perhaps a better use of their energy would be to actually go hide a cache or find more rather than bicker about semantics. Its honestly more interesting to read stories about caches or anything generally than a petty squabble with someone we could hear at work or home or basically anywhere. As im new around here, ive been introduced to the term muggle recently and think that this term could also refer to the people who seem to have nothing better to do with their time than to argue with others over the validity of their previous statement, making them seem far less 'magical' even than people who are oblivious to this little pastime we all share in.

A salute goes out to anyone who agrees with me - and for those of you who no doubt want to involve yourself in an argument with me i can gaurantee this - i shall not oblige you. Happy geocaching. :surprise:

one reason why I`m mostly a lurker is the replies given by some of the responders .

I don`t need someone "advising" me that I should use GSAK to d`load cache details when theres a perfectly(sorry) was a perfectly good link to dload accessible to all regardless of experience or ability which is as it should be , otherwise it becomes elitist .

Not everyone has the means or desire to buy "extra" software.

if you`re replying , read the question , don`t just put a stock reply in .

This is my first visit to the Forums, so it may be a little early to call myself a "Lurker". I've been caching for about 5 months now, and have found almost 500 caches, so I imagine "active" is the appropriate description for me.

Although I'm not sure that this is the correct forum, I have a question concerning the GPS I'm using (Garmin 60CSx). When downloading geocaches, the machine has suddenly taken a liking to putting them in "Waypoints", rather than "Geocaches", so now I have some in both. It's a little annoying having to flip back and forth between icons. I've tried restoring the factory defaults..nothing...and the folks at the Garmin website obviously have better things to do than answer questions concerning their products. The manual doesn't mention the problem (and precious little about caching in general).

Any ideas?

having this prob myself .... it`s not you , its the GeoCaching site .

there is a thread in the forums where it`s being discussed / commented on , caches are dloading to your garmin as waypoints so all you need do is open them up and change icon to geocache (closed chest) until the tech guys have sorted it out . <_<

Hi! New to geocaching, and to the forum. I'm Tim from Eau Claire, WI. Got my first finds the day before yesterday and am up to four (which, considering my state of busy-ness is a fair accomplishment!). I really haven't done any posting because I don't feel like I have anything to contribute yet. But, who knows...you may become tired of me before too long! :)

TKOFaith

I am not new to geocaching; however, due to the lack of a GPSr, I only had three finds before yesterday (one traditional for which the hint gave the exact location and two virtuals). There was about a year and a half in which I didn't even visit geocaching.com, and though I have visted the forums, I have never posted. Now that I have a GPSr, maybe I will post sometimes.

Tracy

Started caching with 1fairygirl in March of 2007. When you are logging on as on as 1fairygirl and half your coworkers are cachers, I decided it was time to start my own account. Lurking in the forums has shown me the error of my ways. 138 finds and 20 logs. My bad!!! :D Guess I have another project for the long winter ahead. Catch up on my logs. I know how much I look forward to logs posted to the caches that we have placed. Fair is fair. Thanks Geocaching for showing us places that we did not know existed and helping us discover places that we want to show other cachers why the PNW is such a great place to live and visit. BTW, chopping firewood takes precedence over logging caches. BRRRRR!!!!!! Starting to get cold here. Looking forward to posting some nice pictures of caches that we have visited.

I've been caching for a few years now and I typically don't get sucked into forum talks, but it is fun every now and then. Why people feel the need to be a-holes....who knows. It does provide some comic relief at times, but overall is unnecessary. Just shows the direction that society is taking these days. Chivalry is dead. With that being said...I'm going back to lurking.

jebwick

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

Hi,

4flatwater here in NC. I cruise through the forums about once a week.

Introduced to GC by our son last year about this time. I have posted only a couple times, mainly asking for some specific help. Wow, the help was given quickly by the people on the forum.

I would spend more time in the forums if I thought that I knew enough about GC to actually help someone, but my wife and I really do feel like we are new to this.

I just appreciate having the forum available for when I have a question to which I cannot find an answer.

Thanks to all for everyone's constructive posts, I read them avidly, and to all others please keep in mind that there a lot of new people out there that may not fully appreciate the full value of the forum. Please try not to drive them off. In this type community everyone is of value.

We just purchased a jeep and had it refurbished. I am in love with it. I've been lurking for quite awhile. I found one micro cache about 2 years ago. I was not able to get my family to do it with me but now that we have the jeep, my husband brought it up and said he like to start looking with me. Yea!! I'm particularly interested in taking our dogs with us. our daughter just turned 6 and can't wait to go "treasure hunting"

Thanks!

Jo

westieridgeback

Been Lurking about a month. So far all my questions have been answered by just doing forum searches or google searches. Most of these questions have concerned the jargon and terms of geocaching such as TNLN, TFTC, skirt lifting... I figure most questions that I have have already been asked and answered. I will start posting more perhaps if I keep playing this game. It hasn't even been a month and who knows if I will be just as enthusiastic a year from now. In the meantime I am having a lot of fun, especially considering that I discovered geocaching in the height of autumn. The hikes I have taken, that I wouldn't be doing if it wasn't for the hunt, have been feasts for the eyes (and nose). I'm in suburban NY so I am curious what new challenges caching in the winter will bring. The leaves had made things difficult cause it covered the paths to the the cache that others might have worn. Sometimes the leaves are covering the cache as well. In the winter, besides the chill, caching might be easier, especially if I can just follow footprints in the snow. I think the height of summer will be the least enjoyable. the bugs and undergrowth may put and damper on things.

So there is a question. If I am the first to find a cache in a fresh snow fall, should I keep walking around the place so my footprints don't lead straight to it? not only would this maintain the challenge of the cache, but it would also help prevent a muggle raid on it too. I'll see if this has been addressed or top post if I can't find a discussion on it.

cheers!

found something about the snow:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...703&hl=snow

so I guess it is proper to try to hide the tracks by either making more and more tracks or not caching in a fresh snowfall in the first place. I'm really not that good yet so it will be fun to see what my tracks look like in an effort to find the thing. my GPS tracks look cluttered enough. oh, and if the cache needs to be pulled out of the snow, it might need to be camo'd again with some more snow.

Edited by majormajor42

I'm a newbie to Geocaching and this fourm and finding both to be fun and interesting. My wife (fastmach) and I travel alot with our RV. We spent much of last year donating our time rebuilding New Orleans, and we love all kinds of adventure and have found geocaching to match well with our hiking, kayaking, and caving. This spring we will be doing a "Geocache Journey" from Louisiana to Oregon this should be interesting.

Hi All,

I've only really just returned to the site. Once upon a time there was a picture forum I think. I had found it to be a wonderful tool to find "Domes" What ever became of that? It seems that it became too big for the old systems and I had the impression it was only going away temporarily but upon quick inspection not that I've stopped by again, I didn't see it.

Anyway, I'm back to lurk and learn a bit but at the moment I don't have any GPS equipment and too many other irons in the fire to likely get any soon.

It is a kinda sad part of the nature of forums that people sometimes get a little overly aggressive in their opinions and turn a thread into a fire fight instead of a discussion. And then there are the people who just need a place to be troublemakers and they find forums to be a great place to do so.

Ah well, they are still a good place to learn about a vast array of topics that would otherwise require much trial and error since there are not books in the library about everything yet.

Enjoy

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :unsure:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Hi. I've recently started Geocaching and enjoying it immensly. Went to a geocaching meet which was organised near to where we live and discovered that there is software for my PDA that will help with the organisation, so I have arrived at the forums to see if I can find out what I need.

Vajra.

;) I suppose that I have been a ' Lurker ', of the edge of a geocaching community.

I stated caching a month ago...just in time to attend the WWFM with 'one' cache find............and now I have 29. I still feel very much like a newbie, but I'm finding caches and having a good time with my son. We are planning to put out a few caches of our own, but we don't want just a lame location in town.

I am intrigued by the idea of paperless caching, sometime in the future.

regards, K o B

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

I'm new and learning a lot not sure if this is right.

Chance Explorers is back quiet!

Edited by Chance Explorers

Hi;

I'm Lateck and I got a GPSr for tracking and some navigation on my Sport/Touring motorcycle. I found this site when researching what to buy.

I have learned what Geocashing is and it looks real fun and gives me a reason to point my trusted mount in a new direction and search out a new cashe (A real good reason for a ride) :)

I look forward to posting and interacting with the group.

Lateck,

Edited by Lateck

I am new to his forum, but have been caching since May 2007. Today is the first time I have logged on here and I posted here asking about Caching in Germany. Hopefully I don't gte flamed but of I do, so be it. i know there are a lot of immature people out there who have nothing better to do in their parents basement.

B) Cool, lurking!

Never thought of it as that, but it is a good way to check out what people are saying and thinking without getting into the middle of it all.

Just like going incognito somewhere with big fat dark sunglasses on! Ha!

Merry, Merry!

(wish someone would help us with our travel bug/geo-coin dilema, tho!) B)

Hi,

I am a "newbie" and as such, I occassionally have a question that I hope would get kindly answered. It takes just as much time to simply answer a question as it does to tell me that topic was brought up ages ago, and that I should re-trace all the topic histories. I don't know much about forums and "chat rooms" or computers for that matter, so I don't really know how to navigate them. I REALLY enjoy Geocaching, and that is what I want to be doing.

So, in answer to the question of who we are (lurkers vs posters?), I sometimes simply want to ask a question, get an answer, and get back in the field. :sad:

It seems to be such a pleasant hobby, so why not just NOT bicker and whine, after all... what about GC-ing could bring out such negative qualities in a person? "Can't we all just get along?" :sad:

Just dropping in to say Hello. This is my first visit to the forums and I mostly lurk in ANY forum unless I've got something to say or can be of help to anyone.

I found my very first cache today.....got a GPS for Christmas.

I live in Northern Ohio but picked up the cache in West Virginia while traveling.

I do believe I'm going to LOVE this game!!

Happy caching everybody!!

I am new here and I Lurk because;

1. I have been to many forums where people get quite ugly because you ask a question that has already been posted. Most of the time I have done a search but to no avail.

My thought to that is, If you are going to answer only the questions that have NOT been asked then even the most complex subject will soon have no questions.

My remedy, If someone asks either, keep your opinion to yourself, Answer with a smile or send a link to the topic.

I recently spent 3 days on the Nuvi forum going through 35 pages of search Info, that kinda takes away from the enviroment of helping others. IMHO

2. I am kinda shy and don't want to ask stupid questions..

Basicly I like this site, I have not seen any hostile post's, yet and everyone seems to be friendly and helpful to the ones that are posting.

And as for introducing myself, I am a single Father in the Mid Ga area, trying to find a way to get into the hiking scene and this seems a way to do it.

I just placed my first hide, but have yet to even try and look for one, (shy part here), I want the ones where people can't see you..

Have a nice day

Dennis

Hi Everyone,

Brand new to Geocaching, I just got a 60CSX for Christmas :-)

I`ve been following Geocaching since the beginning and haven`t really participated yet.

I went on my first `hunt` on the 29th and set out to find three Micro caches not far from my house.... Not such a good idea! Urban micro caches are hard B)

I just ordered some `supplies` to plant my first cache, its going to be a good one :blink:

I definitely have the bug!

Edited by Atticka

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking for about a week now. I got a Garmin etrex Legend (the blue one) for Christmas and found my first cache the same day. I've found 17 so far this past week and went to one event already....I love geocaching!! I'm hooked!

As far of the forum here, I read as much as I could this past week...the advice is terrific. I decided to go with GSAK to download waypoints to my gps. Then, followed the advice for paperless geocaching, bought a used Palm m515 off ebay over the weekend, downloaded Cachemate, got the Palm in the mail today and already have it set up! Like I said, the advice here is TERRIFIC. I couldn't have done it so quickly without you guys. It is going to be great not carrying all those papers around.

Anyway...I'm a lurker...a registered lurker, but a lurker nonetheless! LOL

Hello:

I am lurking just to learn more about what this geocaching is all about. I have had a lot of land navigation training in the military. I know both the system used by the infantry and the artillery. I never used a GPS when I served even though they were quite common back then. I purchased a Garmin Legend GPS for sea kayaking, have hardly used it for that and in the meantime I discoverd geocaching. I am having trouble "figgerin' out da new fangled contraption" <_<. After using up a couple of batteries I am beginning to guess at how to use it. I at least know enough now to ask questions.

I want to lead a canoe/kayak trip doing multiple caches along the river. Has anybody done this before?

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :P

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :(

This was as good a time as any to make my first post. Happy New Year!

Hello Geocachers! I don't know if ive been lurking or not. I mainly use forums of any sort to find answers. Have not had many questions... though I am pretty new at geocaching and am enjoying it!

I just hope people would make sure their caches aren't missing so I am not stuck out there searching for nothing! heh heh.

Im sorry to hear there is ugliness in the community! But thats what happens with modernized jaded people I guess and will try not to hold it against em. HEck I know I can be a complete Bit## sometimes just because of the negativity that can get carried around.

People might just be taking advantage of the anonymity the internet medium gives to vent excess stress and anger.

What ever the reason, it is unnecessary and thanks for pointing it out.

Hope everyone enjoyed their new years!

Peace and love!

I guess I'm not really a lurker since I don't read the forums very often, but I have seen them enough that I am aware that there is some really screwed up and hostile people out there. It's a shame there are idiots like these out there. I can't imagine how many people have looked at these forums trying to get some info on the hobby and have been turned off by these ridiculous people and their ignorant posts. I think they should be banned from the site.

Hi! My name is Kip and I am new to Geocaching and to the forums. I got a new Garmin GPS receiver for Christmas and so far I am having a blast. Geocaching seems like a great way to get me and the wife-to-be off the coach and out doing something and we are loving it! I live in Kansas but I am currently visiting family in Michigan for the holidays, so my Geocaching career is starting here :anicute:

My wife gave me a Garmin 60csx for xmas. Googled and found this site, read the faq and went out and found 11 so far. It has been a lot of fun and the info on this site made it possible. Yesterday I received my City Nav.NT loaded it on computer and then put the section I needed on my gps. Everthing I have learned about a gps from what to buy and how to use it has been from here, so Thanks.