Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Hi.

I research most things I do first by lurking over forums. I love hiking with my soon to be husband and we love to be outside camping, biking, bird watching, etc. Last October we got almost VERY lost three times on a "leisurely" stroll around Wayne National Forrest. And when that wasn't enough, the very same day we left for a short hike around Burr Oak State Park and took so many wrong turns our walk turned into a SEVEN hour race to get out of the woods before sunset. ANYWAY.... I decided we wouldn't go hiking again without a GPS unit.... soon after researching I stumbled upon this forum and have been lurking ever since. Geocaching caught my interest immediately... it's like hide and seek for adults. We bought a GPS this winter and it has finally warmed enough to get back outside. I figure when we go for hikes I will log caches in the area to make our hikes more exciting.... since I don't plan on getting lost in the woods for excitement anymore!

Greetings All,

We just started geocaching this week and are already addicted. Unfortunately we only have Mondays off together to go out caching. Not that we couldn't do it alone, we just prefer to spend this time together. Out doors, walking, talking and doing the drunken bee dance with each other. :blink:

I have already used the forums to research up grading our basic eTrex unit (frog bougth this for me 2 years ago just for this purpose but just actually started geocaching with it). And found them very helpful.

Once we get some more finds under our belts, and our sure we are going to stick with this. We'll upgrade to a much better GPSr. Not only for hunting caches but for hiding them as well.

As we found out today, an overcast Oklahoma sky and tree canopies make for very inaccurate readings from this unit.

Any way just wanted to say hi to all and thanks in advance for all the info/advice for some true tadpoles.

Chris & Tamie Renard

(Fox) (frog)

OK..... I'm generally new on the forum, "lurking about" for a while though. I live in South Central Pa. been toying with caching for a few years with little or no luck! I'd be looking for pointers as well. I'm a land surveyor so I can tell people where to put things, I've been using sub-millimeter accuracy GPS to locate things, yet I can't use my hand-held to navigate very well! someone help!

Hello All,

I am relatively new to caching. My lurking through these posts led me to purchase a new Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx which I purchased through TIGER GPS on the net (good choice). Just received delivery, have not put it to use yet. Still studying the manuals. I am very pleased with my choice, made mostly based upon my perusal of these forum topics. Can't wait to put it to use.

Thanks to all respondants! orovalleysam

Hi fellow cachers. My name is Roy L Bennitt and I live in Crawfordville, FL. I have recently started to find time to cache, however, I have been interested for a while. All of you have been great teachers and hopefully I will be able to pass that knowledge on to others. I enjoy caching, and any "real" sport. I work as a correctional officer and have for the last 10 years. I am also a senior at Florida State University. That is about all I can think of. If you have any questions just ask :laughing:

Hey there. ColoradoFive here - family of five new to caching... we all love it. We are currently in the process of relocating from Lake county Colorado to Mesa county Colorado so I'm diggin' the caches along a route feature! Not lurking so-to-speak, LOL, just browsing! Grabbing some info currently to go paperless - have a Palm Tungsten E ready to load up and are the happy owners of a GPSMAP60Csx (ours!) and the kids share a eTrex Vista Cx. :)

Hey there. ColoradoFive here - family of five new to caching... we all love it. We are currently in the process of relocating from Lake county Colorado to Mesa county Colorado so I'm diggin' the caches along a route feature! Not lurking so-to-speak, LOL, just browsing! Grabbing some info currently to go paperless - have a Palm Tungsten E ready to load up and are the happy owners of a GPSMAP60Csx (ours!) and the kids share a eTrex Vista Cx. :)

Well heck that was easy. OK now I feel like a total techno geek... we are golden on the paperless caching. Cachemate kicks!!! Think maybe I'll get everyone headsets and pocket protectors... maybe some gold chains to make us look official (for any of you Napoleon Dynamite fans, :anicute: )

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :cry:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

I'm new here and trying to learn.

Baggerman

hi,

dh and i are new to GCing. we have had one find, this evening actually :blink:

we're excited to reach a higher number over the summer (well, i am anyhow! LOL)

i'm not here to get 'off topic' either, as i have other boards i frequent to get my thoughts out on. :o

hope to learn more about our gps and GC on the board.

thanks! :o

d&b

:D Nice to see that people are intrested in the thoughts and feelings of others.

Sincerely Lukeval

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :wub:

Just starting to get my feet wet in this sport. Spend a far amount of time "lurking" around trying to learn what i can. Will sometimes post a question if i can't find what i need. Forum was a big help in deciding which GPSr to choose (went with the 60CSx and i'm very happy :rolleyes: ). With any forum you always run the risk of getting hammered if you're the newb and ask a stupid question. Now if i can just figure out this paperless caching thing........ :laughing:

Just read the post and don't think it really applies. Been caching for about a year (my brother got me into it last summer on vacation) and just found the site after a long winter off. Don't know that I have much to offer at present but glad to know the site is here. Will check back frequently.

Hello, my second post. I decided to greet myself seeing as I actually was tempted to post somewhere. Didn't think I was going to for a while, I've been through many online forum communities in the past, so I'm thoroughly forum'd out. I just came here to check out the forums to see how the geocaching community worked and what everyone had to say about it and etc. (Such as advice, cool sites and stuff.)

For greetings though, it shall be short, I'm located in Miami, FL, 19(For those of you who think age out weighs true experience), developing an OCD for geocaching (mainly because I finally grown tired of being indoors and found a vent for it) and I own an eXplorist 210 (given to me as a gift because my first couple of caches where done Google maps style.) First impressions may you be damned.

Hi all. My name is Josh. I'm 25 and I'm a drug addict/alcoholic. I have no friends. I heard about geocaching and figured it would be a good way to have something to do by myself without being around drugs/alcohol. So far it's going great. I've found 4 caches.

Hi all! I'm a newbie to the whole geocaching thing (started last month) and have 4 finds so far. Just ran across the forum tonight and will probably check back on occasion to check on new topics. Thanks for all the useful advice and information.

Hi all....

Thought I would introduce myself.... I am a regular lurker now and have started reading the forums to help me learn more about caching. I started last August and I am in love with this hobby. I am in Idaho and I am exploring the wilderness hides here, not a big fan of urbans as they make me feel sketchy.

You folks may "disagree" a lot here, but it seems like everyone is passionate about geocaching. I am glad to meet you and thanks for allowing me to lurk.

:blink:

Hi, I too am a new geocacher. I actually found the geocaching web site by accident - so decided to try. My husband is a hunter so we had a gps, I entered the wayward for a cache listed for a park near us...on the way to go get dinner we stopped to find it... honestly, we did not figure we would find anything... but there it was - a traditional cache!! We signed the log, and looked at all the little trinkets that were in it, I hadn't brought anything along to trade so we put it back... wow how cool we thought. Now we have been taking our dogs with us so they can walk and we can hunt. Lots of fun and quality time together vs sitting in front of the tv. I think we will keep going. Forums are nice to find out new things about geocaching. will probably be a lurker mostly though.

Hey everybody. I learned about cacheing from another website I belong to. I started reading up on it over the winter and started lurking here. Well, I finally got my GPSr the other day and took the plunge. I have found 2 so far and have had a blast. I hope to contribute to the forums as much as I can.

how you doin eh?

ashann from Minnesota. I've been GeoCaching for about 5 months and

have 200 finds and no hides,(I am working on it though). I rarely take

anything from a cache, I just like to log the find and explore new places.

Sometimes, I find seeking a cache on a long hike is what I need to help

unwind. I like the forums to get info and read occasionally. I usually don't

like to spend much time on the computer.

I am thinking about going to the next level of GeoCaching. Becoming a

Premium Member, and maybe upgrading my GPS or getting a hand PC.

I am very interested in the, "Caches Along the Route" feature, and would

like to learn more about that. Any advice would be very welcome!

thanks,

ashann

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :)

Hello all,

I guess I'm a lurker, I read a LOT more than I post. Only say something whenI have something important to say I suppose.

I cache out of the Quinte region, an Northumberland County when I get out that way. I'm 25, hit 142 caches today. My better half and I are expecting our first child in October, pregnancy hinders some aspects of caching which is a shame. Can't keep up with hubby like I used to! haha

Nice to meet you all!

Okay. We are new to Geocaching. I have bought, collected and packed several McToys and necesseties into our backpack and have loaded several caches onto our GPS but we haven't gotten out yet. I lurk. I am really trying to learn as much as I can from other cachers on here so this is my first post. I am actually trying to do as much research as I can on the topic for future referrance.

Hello, 24kilo here. My wife (Goldeylocks)and I has something that we enjoy together(for a change)we're from Broken Arrow Okla, and I've worked for Lowrance 18 years. Can't wait till Fall Fest!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 24kilo

Lurking is far less dangerous than trying to engage in a good portion of the strings. I see a lot of angry, little, self absorbed, and self righteous individuals trying to throw their self perceived influence around. It is such a turn off and I'd rather just stick to the local forums. It's quite sad since geocaching is intended to bring people together. I guess it's human nature to try to bring conflict and problem solving into any equation in order to validate ones ego.

At the risk of being labeled " non politically correcct" I, as a geocacher, have decided to make available to all comers, whether in a wheelchair, blind, on a ventilator, or blah blah blah. My intnention, whether viliifed or not, I believe are pure. What I have done, and my friend, Humboldt Flier, has done is, made available to the wheelchair-caching-community, those pages of the Delorme Challenge, to those folks who are wheelchair-bound. These are not all designed to be a level 5 terrain; only that they are available to all comers. The parameters of the challenge do not dictate the terrain, only that we as geocachers commit to finding or establishing a geoache on each page, not that we make each page so as to exclude any. These all are not that easy, just the amazing adapability and accomplishment of these folks makes, perhaps. these caches seem more easy than others, but only because , in my clinical experience, there seems to be a little more 'heart" in those folks that have to overcome so much. I'm not really a lurker, been amember for about 2 yrs, been on the site maybe 3x .

:anitongue: Hello, my name is Christine (Travel Seeker); I've just recently moved to Miami and am looking for a few new geocaching friends to get to meet and possibly cache with; I'm fairly new to geocaching....is there a general board somewhere to post a request as such?

Would love to hear back from someone.....

Happy caching!! B)

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :P

my wife and I just started 2 days ago, we will most likely be lurkers since she doesn't like using the computer and I'd rather chit chat with my yahoo pager than on message boards. Granted we will probably still lurk around and maybe respond from time to time.

Hi everyone. My name is John. This is my first visit to this forum, I just found out about this game called geocaching a few days ago, and just unpacked my new GPS unit today. I found my first cache tonight just before dark, and I'm looking forward to finding some more soon.

Greetings Everyone,

My wife and I along with our geo dog Buster Brown form the northvan geo team. We recently joined back in April 2007 when I bought a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx and that is when we learned about Geocaching.com. My wife doesn't visit the forums but I like to come by and Lurk around :rolleyes: , however I been a little more braver lately and post a few comments. We are still relatively new to this awesome adventure it takes us on. Great to meet you all here!

Cheers

:unsure:

Hello to all you geocachers!

I havent been caching very long but my parents do it alot. After my first couple of finds and a TB, I'm now hopelessly hooked. I have a Garmin eTrex, that I seem to be getting along with very well but Im sure I will upgrade in a year or 2. Right now Im looking at Palm's to cut down on the paper.

I have a farm with horses and German Shepherd dogs. I'm sure my male is going to be a great geo dog, but I havent taken him with me yet as I have just been busy figuring this all out.

Yes I do lurk from time to time but I'm learning a lot reading everyones posts and it wont be long I will be in there posting myself.

This is a very good site, and a lot of help for us beginners. Thank you! Looking forward to attending an event soon and meeting other geocachers......

HAPPY CACHING!!!

Edited by Shelly69

Hmmm, An interesting topic. I guess you could say I am an itinerant rather than a lurker. Drop in to look at forums only occassionally (as time permits) but generally get lost. Like many I suppose when you are new (6 months old) you feel there is little you can claim to have an opinion on. My main interest is in the distraction of the pursuit, and the enjoyment of seeing new places. I think of the reasons I started and continue to cache - getting out there and doing it. So thanks for the topic - i.e. there is't one. Easy to post to, and the logs are enjoyableto read! I operate paperlessly with an i que, as well as the original garmin 60 as I keep forgetting to look stuff up before leaving.... Cheers all!

hi there..we're new to this game also, but really enjoy it...we used the forums to get some help on paperless caching....first just read and read without finding what we needed, then decided to try to post....like others...we were a little intimidated and didn't want to sound stupid..it's also a good place for newbies like us to learn about the proper etiquette of geocaching....thanks.

I started caching and would like to do more. I started right before my son was born and when he gets old enough to understand I will be doing more. Most of my time now is spent taking care of my 8 month old daughter and working.

I have an eTrex Vista and Quest and live in eastern Kansas. I am a Mac user and also am a fan of Honda motorcycles, currently riding a VTX 1300, GPS has made that more enjoyable as well.

roog

Edited by vtxrider