Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Hello,

I guess I would fall into the lurker catagory.

I am a new jack as far as caching is concerned.

I actually found a cach a few yrs ago but had no idea what it was.

I was gonna take it as it looked like a cool container and a friend that was with me said it was some kind of game.

In the spirit of the game I left the cache and forgot all about it.

Several yrs went by and I came across the word geocache.

I thought it curious enough to do a wikipedia search and I was hooked to the idea from there.

I want to get a gps but I am trying to keep out my eye balls for a good deal.

I found a explorist 210 brand new for $120.

Is that a fair deal?

Also I was wondering if that would work well in the trees up here in New Jersey.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Nice to meet everyone (sort of) by the way

Hello been here for a couple of months reading and learing. i have 2GPSr there both magellan's got the 200 frist then upgraded to the 500. I also went paperless at the same time it got the 500. I drive for feed the childern and able to cache in many states. i just got done making a web with my stats. hope you will all take a look at it and let me know what you think.

My Webpage thanks

Edited by Watts5

I have been soaking up the threads for a few weeks and finally decided to go for broke.

I found out about Geocaching when I was looking at Garmin sets. After finally getting a system, I loaded up local caches this past week. I have yet to get up and go out, but I may do so tomorrow morning.

See everyone around :)

I usually hit the forums about 2 to 3 times a week. I've noticed that over the last week or so it's really gotten ugly in here. Some of the more potent exchanges in the old forums were alot of fun to follow. Nowadays it seems to be just plain mean. Now I shall go back to lurking.

An item to remember ------------ when the thread starts getting ugly, often many of those who could contribute just drop it and go somewhere else. And why not? Why stay and read abuse? In another forum I belong to, abusive posts are deleted when found by the moderators. Those who can't post without venom eventually just give up and take it elsewhere.

Often, when looking at the number of those in the forums, many guests are members that just don't bother to sign in unless they see a thread they wish to reply to.

Hi there, well, we have been lurking for a couple of months, because we haven't owned a GPS until this week. We learned about this great hobby from my Sister and Brother-in-law and are very excited to get caching this weekend. We have purchased an explorist 210 this week and have used it to find a couple of caches we already knew about so we are looking forward to getting rolling to some new caches and racking them up. Happy camping & caching! - Carpetking -

Y'know... I don't think I've yet introduced myself in here, despite kinda poking around the rest of the board a bit.

Anyhoo... I'm Kabuthunk, aka James. Got into Geocaching due to my sister, brother in law, brother, and brother's girlfriend are all into this. Looked into it a bit, and hey... looks fun. So, now I'm hooked, despite not yet having a GPS system :ph34r:

OK here goes...I have only viewed the forums a few times here at Groundspeak. And was disapointed with the bickering. However this thread has been like a breath of fresh air. Thank you.

I almost don't want to say this for fear of a negetive response but I'll give it a shot...due to what I preceived as a somewhat hostile forum enviornment I started looking at another cache site and have been caching there for a while. This thread delighted me and the next thing I knew i was checking my zip code to look for new caches in the area.

Just prior to reading this thread I had read another that I thought had become very bitter (something about deleting a needs maintenance post) and almost requested to be "banded from the forums" so I wouldn't be curious and wander in here. I am now happy I looked farther and found this thread.

I have to go and check my zip code again. There seems to be some caches I don't recognize. :laughing:

Yup, guilty of lurking here too.. Checked the forums for GPSr advice, since I'm replacing my SporTrak Map.. still using it while my new GPSr is coming, and getting back to geocaching as of about two weeks ago. Used to cache at least one or two years ago, but only found one cache.. Lost interest then, but not anymore!

Lurker raising hand over here.

I am very new to geocaching. The family (hubby & 3 yr old) now have 3 finds and we each found 1. The little guy is very excited about treasure hunting and getting cool new toys. I don't usually have too much to say which is why I don't post much.

Blending back into lurkdom.....

I'm a lurker, and I like mashed potatoes too!

I had never heard of geocaching until someone posted about it in their live journal. Then I checked out how many caches were hidden in my area, and I was hooked ever since! It is so intriguing to think that there were caches hidden along roads that I have been driving past for years, and I NEVER KNEW IT. My boyfriend and I bought a GPS, and after our first cache, I knew we would be lifelong geocachers. No cache will ever be as exciting as that first cache, but the rest are still really exciting!

I've watch this site for a long time now. By reading you find out what is proper and what is not. What is hated and what is not. When you begin caching you have no idea on anything. To get pounded for something, just makes one ask, "why bother." You watch you learn: Micro's are not liked, no knives in the cache, don't have chamber of commerce geo cache events, (the dollar store might get rich), made fun of for a spelling error. You have to learn to be tough, or don't do it. After a couple of years. It may be safe, we will see. I could get pounded for responding to an answer. You have to learn the lingo. It's intimidating. But, I do enjoy getting on and reading about it all. Plus I'm not sure if I'm replying correctly now!

Great question by the way!

Well... this is my first post on this account, but I made a post and started a thread on my other account. I agree that the forums can be mean. I had not really learnt about the forums until after the username lockdown, and had been thinking that I would change my name, and had it only as a temporary one. I emailed Groundspeak about it, and they said I should put it in the forums. Explored the forums and figured out how to do it. Because of my insufficient techniological knowledge, and my slow start in the forums, I was instantly victimized :lol:. See the saga unfold here. I was going to get back into the forums, but this is a good place to start I guess...

New to this. Not sure if I'm doing this the correct way, but here goes.

I would love to figure out where to learn what the various symbols that appear with a cache listing mean. For instance, what looks like a single rectangular box could be a single stop cache; what looks like two rectangular boxes could be a multi-stage cache; but what the heck type of cache is a "?" symbol?

Another issue: When I click on a cache listing that says "Must be a Premium Member to View," I get nothing, nada. I checked and I am a paid up Premium Member for another year and I also have cookies enabled, as far as I can tell. IDEAS?? HELP

Hello Everyone

My name is George but I have been using the shortened version of Geo for ny on to 40 years now, and have gotten used to the handle. Just started with the fun hobby of Geocaching and my family and I enjoy it very much. We started only last month and have been using it as an excuse to camp in different spots in our home state of Wyoming. I have used GPS positioning since the late 1980's but until just recently never had a hand held unit.

Hello Everyone

My name is George but I have been using the shortened version of Geo for ny on to 40 years now, and have gotten used to the handle. Just started with the fun hobby of Geocaching and my family and I enjoy it very much. We started only last month and have been using it as an excuse to camp in different spots in our home state of Wyoming. I have used GPS positioning since the late 1980's but until just recently never had a hand held unit.

new owner of a 60csx.I have to say..if you dont know the basics...it sucks.In one week $650+ on gps and accessories,became premium member,bought GSAK,Bought cachemate, 20hrs of reading all and I mean all websites,forums,post,and personal web blogs. Iam hooked on this.We did are first cache....kids got lucky.Now I spend all my free time trying to get a hold on all this tech to get out and be productive. One big comment.WE/Groundspeak/geocache could use more help for new members.

There sure are alot of code words in this game. If it wasnt for the kids turning me on to Harry potter reference I dont think i would have ever got the "muggle" any way...I will become a lifer for sure.

new owner of a 60csx.I have to say..if you dont know the basics...it sucks.In one week $650+ on gps and accessories,became premium member,bought GSAK,Bought cachemate, 20hrs of reading all and I mean all websites,forums,post,and personal web blogs. Iam hooked on this.We did are first cache....kids got lucky.Now I spend all my free time trying to get a hold on all this tech to get out and be productive. One big comment.WE/Groundspeak/geocache could use more help for new members.

There sure are alot of code words in this game. If it wasnt for the kids turning me on to Harry potter reference I dont think i would have ever got the "muggle" any way...I will become a lifer for sure.

You'll be tossing the jargon around like a pro in no time!

--Marc

September 8, 2006 @ 10:40 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

I'm new to this caching stuff, but I think it is a great time for the whole family. We have found 7 in the last couple of days and we enjoyed spending time together and the whole family had a ball.

I'm from Michigan and I will visit this site often to learn all I can to enhance what I hope will be a new family tradition.

Only been at it for a month or so but 'well' into it now..... Hope to stop lurking as much when I have a few more behind me!!

cya

I don't know how to do forums. My options seem to be limited to quote or reply. Can I simply post a message?

Those 2 choices are only for the individual posts. At the bottom of the page are other choices, including 'Add Reply' & 'Fast Reply'. Use them to make a normal post.

PS: Welcome to geocaching and the geocaching forums!

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

I guess I'm not much of a lurker anymore. Co-worker got me interested and I've then passed this on to my wife...who has passed it on to three friends, her sister...

When I'm out I find myself saying "I never knew this was here!" alot. So coupled with the challenge of the hunt I think I enjoy the chance to be out in new areas a lot.

New to this. Not sure if I'm doing this the correct way, but here goes.

I would love to figure out where to learn what the various symbols that appear with a cache listing mean. For instance, what looks like a single rectangular box could be a single stop cache; what looks like two rectangular boxes could be a multi-stage cache; but what the heck type of cache is a "?" symbol?

Another issue: When I click on a cache listing that says "Must be a Premium Member to View," I get nothing, nada. I checked and I am a paid up Premium Member for another year and I also have cookies enabled, as far as I can tell. IDEAS?? HELP

I was just browsing through this forum and I'm really sorry that nobody has apparently posted an answer to your question. It seems really odd. I've only been geocaching since January of last year but I can at least answer your questions.

Singular rectangular box-regular cache/micro cache. One stop shop. You go to the coordinates, you find the cache, you've won.

Two rectangular boxes-A multi-cache. You get the coordinates for the first leg of the journey and when you find the cache whether it is a micro or regular size cache, that cache will give you the coordinates for the second/third/or more...until you get the coordinates for the final. In my limited experience, there is rarely more than three parts to a multi. I could be wrong about this though. So many caches, so little time.

"?" symbol-A puzzle cache. This is a cache that requires you to solve some sort of puzzle before you obtain the correct coordinates for that particular cache.

As for the other issue, you're clicking on a "members only cache." Now, if you are a premium member (paid the fee), you should be able to view the coordinates for that particular cache. If you're trying to

view the coordinates as a "free" member, then it won't work.

If you have paid the fee and you still can't view the member's only caches...then I'd suggest trying to find your answer

here: http://support.Groundspeak.com/Support/?group=gsp or

here: http://www.geocaching.com/contact/

Hope that helps and welcome to geocaching! :D

The kids ( my Crew) and I have only been caching for a month or so now, but the help and advice we"ve gleaned from Groundspeak has been invaluable. Its cool to see all the posts from people all over the world. I usually spend a couple of hours once or twice a week reading thew new posts. I don't normally post anyhting, as I am so new to this and don't have the experience of many on here, but its still fun to read. I can't wait till we place our first cache, just to see the hits we get on it :P

Jester & Crew

I'm very new to this sport. My 16 year-old grandson asked me to go with him a couple of weeks ago and I loved it enough to buy a basic GPS (not too good at using it yet) and go out by myself the first time this morning. Didn't find the cache I was seeking (close though :laughing: ) but I had a wonderful walk in the cool early morning sunshine and more importantly I had a great time!

Hi there!! My name is Kim and I live in Sacramento Ca. I'm a newbie the cacheing and to this forum!! I have been cacheing for about a week now! I found my first cache today 10/02/06!!! I was so excited to finally find one!! I have looked for 4 others with no success. The main reason for my trouble finding them is people!!! I just can't seem to get to the locations when there is nobody around!! I'll keep trying though!!!! Well off to load some gps software to my pda!!!

Kim

DoubleZ and I are new to geocaching. Started yesterday, and so far we've found 6 out of 7 (and I really think that the one that we couldn't find isn't there anymore at all). He got his first GPS for MY birthday a few years ago, and in August, we found that the batteries that we had in it were leaking. I called the battery company, and they sent us a check to replace our GPS in full, plus a coupon for $6.00 worth of their batteries. DoubleZ went and got a new one, and somehow we got onto the topic of geocaching, and decided to give it a try. We make a great team, he navigates, and I drive...I still don't know how to operate that thing.

Needless to say, I think that we are going to have a great time. I love taking "road trips", and caching seems to be the perfect thing to do. Have already scoped the area back home (in Georgia), and realized that there are stashes in places that I'm very familiar with, and a lot of them we have been to in the past 2 years and didn't even know about the hidden treasures. We will have to hit them up later this month when we go down to visit.

We're thinking about grabbing the grandkids tomorrow, and take them out on a "treasure hunt" and see if they would enjoy it. Hopefully they will, and we can involve them and spend a little more quality time with them.

Interesting line of thought, but not unique, at least on the surface. I see polarity in the ranks, new vs. seasoned geo-cacher. As an exceptionally new arrival myself I am drawing from past experience in other endeavors. The new person feels they will see a certain amount of ridicule from a "stupid question" and the more mature geo-cacher has a certain "arrogance" associated with having earned their wings so to speak. Is it wrong ? Not for me too say. Is it real ? Oh hell yeah. Now, let’s keep it all in perspective folks, it is about fun. YOUR fun. Dig it, do what you enjoy, but hey, let the other guy enjoy it too. Rules are good, as long as we don't lose sight of our goal, FUN. I bought a gps to avoid the long locating time associated with finding leaks in rural pipelines when I'm called out to NE Cr~phole in the middle of the night to enjoy some late night welding. I found the fun side by looking at the Garmin sight trying to figure out how to run the gps I just bought. Please bear this in mind when you hear my response, I'm NEW.............yep. I'm not doing any of this to be a pain, heck, my ignorance of this entire spectrum will more than cover that. I have had some pretty cool responses from some very nice people, so I give a heartfelt thank you for that.

Have fun people, it's what it should be about. Golly, if you’re going to flame somebody, save it for your boss at the Christmas party.

I'm new, rather than a lurker. I have been at the game for a couple of weeks, with 22 finds (I had not logged my dnf's and aborted operations on my trip). The turning point for me getting into geocaching was thinking about my trip to albuquerqe and of fun things to do while my husband and i were there. Little did i know how much time and money i would be investing. It's definately been worth it though. Once I find 5000 caches, I will feel fully vested. B)

Edited for spelling, spacing and capitalisation. Time for some sleep.

Edited by kitara

Lurking at this one for a few weeks.

Need something to do in work.

Figgered I may as well put the GPS to use for something.

At least get the dust off and get it out of the house.

Actually found this one because I did a search on "benchmark survey"

I thought it was the name of a surveying co. an old friend of mine worked for.

Decided to hang around for a while.