Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

A lurker, who me ?! :lol:

I though it was called reading.....

Anyway, I started back in Oct, have a lil more than a dozen finds. Holy cow, I love this game/sport, it gives me a chance/reason to get out. I work 70+ hours a week, so something that drags me out of the house is a good thing. I just wish it didn't get dark before I left work... Been doing some reading (lurking) about night caching, would never have thought of it myself, dunno, guess I'm funny like that. :ph34r:

JAFL

just another "fine" lurker :ph34r:

Hi! As the first post said -- feel free to introduce yourself. I and my kids went out for our first geocache yesterday, so we are all certified neocachers. We don't even have our GPSr yet. It arrives tomorrow (Garmin GPSMAP 60CS). I got intrigued while looking for a GPSr for my dad for a gift (through Garmin link). Anyway - we found the cache simply from the description of the area near our house. I am military and an avid hiker with kids so we are really excited about the "sport". We found out our friends up the street "do it" too. Quick question -- some day, we may want to hide a geocache ourselves. Is there a good place to buy a decent larger than a micro-cache container? I saw the stickers for sale here, but not large conatiners. Thanks for letting me ramble. XXOO :anitongue:

Lurker for me, and maybe not even that...

I entered the forums to gain information and some guidance and in many cases I found what I was looking for. I still do this (that’s how I cam across this forum). However, I also found that some of the discussions / opinions were influencing my enjoyment of the game. I started questioning my approach - was I doing this right? was my approach wrong? should I be doing this? etc. I was even considering at one point just dropping out of the game completely…. but I took another approach and decided to avoid the "controversy", dip into the forums only when I needed some particular guidance/information and avoid the “attitude”. I am now enjoying a "blissfully unaware" existence in my local area as I lay and find caches. I find theirs, they find mine – balance in achieved, we log the find, say “than you for the cache” and move on.

Off to find that bit of info I was looking for ...

I lurk, usually for much longer than I intended. Like now, for instance. I came on here to kill the rest of my lunch hour. Now I look up at the clock only to see I've killed my entire lunch hour PLUS two additional hours. Lucky we don't have a time clock here.

Guess I should go do something productive....rats! :unsure:

Edited by Toast & Figs

Been lurking thus far. Heard about the Geocaching thing via TWiT and haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet (didn't have a GPS receiver so have had to find one). I'm a student at UW-Madison currently. Just haven't had much to talk about yet, hopefully that'll change once I have more time to cache.

Uh..just trying to get back into caching again. I have been banned from placing hides.

I miss doing that. I haven't been out in a very long time. I bought a new GPS..my old

Garmin started doing really weird things like turning itself off and failing to acquire.

I am in Southern PA..originally from Erie (a fantastic place to cache!).

:P

Hope they'll let me play again.

Fox

I am wild herb . I have spent the last 18 months in Iraq seeking out and destroying weapons caches and other fun objects that iraq had to offer. I bought a garmin etrex vista and documented my travels with it and even geo cached at various f.o.b's IN Iraq. One of the officers introduced me to geo cacheing and I am having a good time walking my dog to these caches.There are so many near waterfall canyon some one should check before putting any more in this area or they will get muggled to death.Any one ever geo cache @ night, well hello, and I love the delrome maps i pirated they rock.. !!!!:laughing::anibad::mad::mad::huh::o:D:mad:

Edited by wildherb
Uh..just trying to get back into caching again. I have been banned from placing hides.

I miss doing that. I haven't been out in a very long time. I bought a new GPS..my old

Garmin started doing really weird things like turning itself off and failing to acquire.

I am in Southern PA..originally from Erie (a fantastic place to cache!).

:huh:

Hope they'll let me play again.

Fox

Foxpire, why were you banned?

HI!!! New guy here!!! I have been caching for a few months, I have hit the forums a few times, but wouldnt say I have made it to the Lurker status yet.

As for all of the negative mud slinging, all I have to say is everybody is tough when they are sitting in their living room at their computer deck. Or at least thats what I noticed on other forums.

It really does make you wonder why some people feel that they can act that way in public.

Hi All,

I have been a lurker for awhile. Waiting for Santa to bring my GPSr. :)

It's been a good thing having to wait before really get going with geocaching. I found one cache already without a GPSr. Since I have been lurking for a awhile I'm all prepared once I get my hardware. I'm already set up for paperless caching, read the manual of the GPSr I asked for... hope I get it... don't want to read another manual.

Well I hope the weather is good Christmas morning and the snow isn't too deep.

TT

Geoholic28 from Cacye and Greenville South Carolina, full of energy geocacher who without the GREAT hobby I would not have some friends I have now nor visited some of the great parks, mountain ranges, and trails that I have had the chance to visit. My urban highlight so far has been all the wonderful and crazy people I got to meet at GW3. My natural highlight was a 5mile hike along a section of the Palmetto Trail for 2 caches.

Did I mention college student and single :-D

RichardinJuly.jpg

I've been geocaching since spring of '05, and am creeping on the one hundred mark. I never really paid much attention to the forums until I went back to school (UW Platteville) this fall. It's more or less a way to burn time, but I will admit, it's helped in some instances, like picking out a pda to purchase. I'd like to give a big thankyou to all of the posters who keep me entertained and add some insight and help where needed reguarding geocaching.

IN the past I have posted on other threads and found that there is a certain faction out in cyber land that has the uncanny ability to take what one writes and finds the specific wording needed to be insulted or wronged.

This usually is invented by strong and unwavering feelings in the Political and social atmospheres.

Therefore I chose to be a reader rather than a writer.

However, if there is a specific question that I may have I will definately ask. but don't look to involve me into a debate about the question or any of the answerse it generates. I will try any and meybe all of the answers to see which one fits my specific needs.

I'm new at this site and have to feel the pulse for a while yet.

Hi there

I've been wanting to try geocaching for a couple of years now. My husband bought me an etrex Legendc for Christmas (yay!) but it's been wet and mucky ever since (crap!) so I'll have to wait a while longer.

I've been reading the forums to pass the time and I've picked up loads of information and found some promising caches to try once the mud around here is slightly less than knee deep.

And I've found caches near our favorite beach campsite... and my father's ranch... and my sister's house in the foothills...and the Summer camp where I used to work...

we're going to have a blast!

Hello all,

My wife and I just started caching (Yep, she got me a GPS for Christmas!), and we're hooked already after 2 finds on Christmas day. We have a couple of friends that told us about geocaching last year, and we've wanted to check it out but never got the GPS to do it with until now. I've been lurking here for a few days trying to learn as much as I can about this fascinating new hobby, can't wait to get out and find some more!

Scott

Avilla, Mo.

I've been lurking for 3 main reasons:

1. I'm a newbie and therefore have no credibility (much less anything valuable to contribute). I just got my GPSr and am waiting for the 8 inches of fresh heavy snow we got to melt a little before I go looking. Yeah yeah I'm a wuss LOL.

2. There hasn't really been any reason to post questions because everything I could possibly want to know up to this point seems to have already been covered in one thread or another, so reading is all I need to do. Kudos to the pros who are so helpful here!

3. I'm afraid of posting something that will make me look like an idiot! I actually did start to post a question earlier today but as I was previewing the post I was able to answer it myself (RTFM!).

I'm quite active on other hobby forums and am sure I will be here soon too, in the meantime I'm content with my heavy-duty lurker/learner status. :unsure:

Sheila in MN

Edited by Team_Spirit

Well, dunno whether I could consider myself a lurker, since I started posting here almost before my GPSr first tasted satellite. I am, however, a rank newbie still without a first cache find, so here I am.

My wife & I live in upstate NY, with two children grown and gone and the last a high school senior. I'm retired Air Force, now a contractor at a military research lab. We love to hike, and one day last year her brother was along and diverted us to find a cache near our hiking route. It was kind of cool, but I didn't think much more of it.

This Xmas she got me a Garmin Quest, as almost a "gag gift" because I'm notoriously awful at finding my way around by car. I thought back to that one caching experience, and how we love hiking anyway, and Googled my way here to read about the whole geocaching thing. If it catches on with us as a fun thing to do (jury will probably still be out until Spring, when such things become far more sensible up here), then we'll certainly spend enough time hunting the things to consider it a new hobby.

And that's the scoop.

Well, OK. With my 32 finds I feel poorly qualified to dispense wisdom to a bunch of folks who have, like, 5,000 finds to their credit. Maybe when I'm at least into triple digits I'll check back with you. At current rates of accumulation it should be a year or two. Until then I'll do myself and the rest of the world a favor, and listen rather than spew. If, in the meantime, I inflict a couple of less than stellar hides on the community, I'll throw myself on the mercy of the court.

I did order a bunch of ammo cans off the internet. If that's not a sign of good faith I don't know what is -- those things would make really sorry lunchboxes. They're currently in my garage but they'll be in the field in due time.

The exception to my lurking policy is asking questions, but the FAQ's and other info on the website help a lot if one if inclined to read. The website is surprisingly comprehensive. However, if I think of a question not answered in those places, I'll be sure to ask, so that someone can tell me that the question was answered in 2003, and I shouldn't create duplicate threads.

I'd love to communicate with everyone by signing the log books in their caches. So I'll just keep working on that.

I'm going back to my cave now. Bye.

I like to see what others are saying about geocaching, so I frequently check the forum pages. I have been caching since July of 2005 and can't get enough of it. My husband's cousin, TIKKA717, introduced the sport to us and I have been hooked since.

I like hiding caches just as much as finding them. My brother and his family are now hooked on caching. It's nice to have someone to cache with. :D

Edited by smilingsteeles

I just want to say that I am new to this, I got a GPS for Christmas and thought it would be something fun to do with family and friends and I really enjoy it, but some of these people take this entirely too serious. You would think by reading some of these posts that they were actually finding a million dollars in some of the caches... Lighten up and have fun!

I just want to say that I am new to this, I got a GPS for Christmas and thought it would be something fun to do with family and friends and I really enjoy it, but some of these people take this entirely too serious. You would think by reading some of these posts that they were actually finding a million dollars in some of the caches... Lighten up and have fun!

Oh yeah?

Here's what I found in one of the A.P.E. caches (they're really huge!).

TempMoney.jpg

I took it all and left a neat keychain!

[grin]

--Marc

January 6, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Hi there.

We, myself, the hubby(coderpitt) and the 2 kids, Gaby-10yrs and Liam-1yr, have been geocaching since Christmas. Coderpitt received a Garmin GPSMap 76CS from Santa. We've found about 30 caches and we try to go out whenever we can. We live in Dallas, Texas and have alot to find before we have to find a new city to cache. We have decided that this is the family activity for us. We even bought a PDA to keep all the pdf's on instead of having to carry around a large stack of paper.

i guess I was lurking...:P I'm from Chicago. I was looking for post on APE caches...do you know what those are? I was trying to find the differnt types of caches on the geocaching.com site and couldn't find them. Or the earthcaches...though I did one so I know what they are...

Karen

My wife and I have been interested in Geocaching for a long time. We purchased a Garmin GPS V last year and have not used it much. a couple days ago we went on our first hunt and found it pretty easily. We are looking forward to doing many more geocaches and making some of our own.

We are from the Pacific NorthWest and have a great opportunity to get out and play. There are tons of caches around here and many are very close to home. I am hoping to find some travel bugs and help them move on their way and hope to find some geocoins one of these days.

Ritch, aka nwmud