Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Hello everyone! My name is Bruce and I live in North West PA. I have been a member of geocaching.com since July of 2002, my low number of finds can be attributed to the fact that until very recently I did not even own my own GPS and just burrowed one now and then. I really hope Geocaching counts as a sport because I would like to be able to tell my Dr. that I am now more Athletic then ever.

I've only recently started caching, signed up as a Premium member and hope to spend the summer caching all OVER the tri-state area (I live in south jersey)!! I look forward to learning everything about geocaching and meeting all the cool people on here!

Take care!

:mad::D

Got a Garmin eTrex Vista C on Wednesday (our first GPSr) and just started geocaching on Thursday (started at 5 PM, found 4). It's raining today, but we're about to head out! Took a couple friends with us on Thursday for the last 3 caches... they're hooked! They called us at 8:00 this morning to see if we were planning on "going treasure hunting!"

I am a lurker. I enjoy reading and, some day, I will join in when a topic strikes me.

I am Corey, I live in NW Illinois. I graduated from The University of Iowa a long time ago with a degree in Electrical Engineering. Because of that, I love techno-gadgets and this site has opened a whole new opportunity for more techno-obsessions!

I have been on a couple of hunts, so I am still very new to this. My children had a blast, so I know there will be more caching in our near future.

My first order of business is to buy a GPSr. I have been borrowing one and trying to convince my wife that I have a "need" for another toy.

Anyway, I enjoy reading all the posts and learning more as I go.

I've been lurking for a week or two now. I've been interested in Geocaching for a while, and brought it up to my husband, who also thought it sounded like fun. We were waiting to buy a GPSr this weekend, when my dad says to me 2 days ago "Oh, I have one of those still in the box upstairs. Want it?" It's a yellow Etrex, but it helped us find our first 2 caches today with the kids. I can only imagine the fun we can have with a more expensive model!

I think this is going to be an addicting new hobby (seeing as we can't wait to go again tomorrow....) Not much to say in the forums, so I'll mostly lurk and learn by other people asking questions :D

Edited by eclecticpeople

HI my name is pscreem (jen)

I have been lurking here for about 2 weeks now

a co-worker had told my 13 yr old daughter about geocaching and she wanted to give it a try (she was pretty much crazy about it) I had heard of it before thought about it never looked into it we told my hubby (dad) he thought it would be cool

so we came to this site found out there was some pretty close to us so we are waiting for the GPS to come (internet order) but we couldnt wait we gave a first one a shot the other evening went looking at a trail by the local collage

we didnt find the one we were looking for we did find a letter box which made my husband a true believer ( we did learn when we go out bring a can of off LOL)

we couldnt deal with being eatin anymore and the fireworks were gonna start soon

so we gave up on that one for another day but today we are going for another

so wish us luck !!!

I am new to geocaching and very excited to start hunting. I don't have a GPS yet but plan on purchasing one next week. There is a multi-cache in the cemetery beside my apartment, and on my second attempt (with no GPS) I located step one last night. I'm heading back this evening to search for the second step. If I don't find it tonight, it will be fun to see how close I came when I do get my GPS.

I found the site quite by accident while reading a hiking magazine. I decided to do some more research on a GPS that had been given to me to see if it was worth a darn or whether I should buy a newer one for hiking. The Geocaching idea seemed like a great idea to help me and my stepson spend some time together and connect. We've been on 2 hunts with no luck but that was more my inexperience with my GPS than anything else. I wrote to both owners for the caches to get some hints/help with figuring out how accurant my GPS is so we might be succussful on our next hunts. I'm going out again on Monday to find those first 2 caches as my step son will be with his father and I can spent more time figuring out my accurency without him being bored and lossing interest. We do a lot of hiking and now we can make the hikes a little more interesting for him.

Big time Lurker.... always have been.

I will post with questions for those more experianced in a thing I am just getting into.

Or if I stumble on a new post wanting info that I may know about.

But mostly I just soak up the knowledge, and get a few good laughs from the funny stuff. ;)

I started lurking today, and also made my first post today. I might just lurk some more in the future. It really depends on what I have to say. And what is being said.

We've only been caching since 6/2, and logged 34 finds. We are a team of 2 that loves to cache, but I do all the tech stuff for the team. We usually paperless cache using the mac mini, Sony Clie, and a garmin eTrex Vista C. (Sometimes we take extra maps!)

I will definately post if I have something helpful to add in the future. :o

I joined and started lurking yesterday. Having to wait 24 hours to post sure was annoying, but I had a grand time reading all the wonderful posts. (And laughing my butt off.)

I found out about Geocaching from a chainmail board where a poster was showing off his chainmail signature piece. Curiosity got the better of me, and I've been reading ever since. Looks like there are several geocaches in my area - and a couple look findable without a GPS.

LOL - my bf has already volunteered to get me a GPS. What a sweetie. :D

Real name's Mona and I'm 43. (Maybe this will be a good activity to lure the boyfriend out of the house and into getting some exercise.)

Is there a spellchecker in this thing?

Just like Polk Street Bandits, I have been lurking for a few months but am trying to get involved now. My wife and sister say I should not come into the forums because I only tell them about threads that make me angry, but there is a lot of great stuff here. Thank you to all the regular posters for all the great info. you share.

Hello all;

I like to lurk in the shadows and watch the "vetern" members discuss the stuff. You can learn alot from lurking he he he. As far as arguing, I only argue with myself. That's the only way I win the argument.

Name is Jerry, I go by Broken Knee. I wrecked me knee at work a few times and it will never be the same. Well at least I can go geocaching. I like taking my kids along. ONe just turned 13, the other is 8. We have fun. It's good exercise. And best of all, it is better then that bloody play station!!!!!!!Sorry, didn't mean to yell.

So see you all at the next cache!

Hiyas!

No I'm not a lurker. This is actually my first post and first time here. And since it is my firtst time here I can't really comment on anything yet. Actually, maybe I can. I.. uh.. well, never mind. =)

I found the Geocaching site a few days ago and the account was accessible today so I thought I'd rop in and introduce myself.

I'm down here in Coral Springs, FL. Found my first cache the second time out. Needles to say I'm hooked. So I've made another trip out today and found two more. Easy stashes, mostly public. Looking forward to doing some of those hiking ones soon.

Well, see you guys around. Hope to meet some of you out there! :blink:

Mr. Professor

I lurk. I've read some pretty interesting and useful and humorous and confusing things here in the past. I haven't posted because I don't want to do any "me too" posts. Except this one, on lurking. :blink:

I tried over at navicache too, but their boards are not as active, and I have run across many more nasty or mean posts (could just be my luck on the topics I choose on the two sites though). Here I rarely see any of the typical name calling, flame wars over grammar, or "Three's Company" like misunderstandings that grow out of control that seem to happen on other forums.

Back to lurking.

Cactus Clan of Bouse Arizona here. Searching the forums for some assistance. We are headed to Paquime (Nuevas Casas Grandes) Mexico. I cannot find caches in the area through any search methods I am familiar with. Including by going to Kino Treasure (a cache we grabbed a long time back) and doing an "all nearby caches" search. The search seemed to stop at the Sonora border. So, does anyone have ideas, caches in Chihuahua that I could start from or other leads!

Thanks for help. Please respond to my profile email address??!!

Depsite the fact that this is my first post, I would not consider myself a lurker. Today is my first-ever visit to the forums and I only started geocaching on Thursday (July 14). I work a lot during the week, which unfortunately relegates my hunting to the weekends, but this first weekend of hunting was great - 5 finds, bringing me to 6 total (there was one about three blocks from my office so I did that on a Thursday morning).

Anyhow, the forums appear to be popular, so I feel like I'll be checking in on them more frequently and I'll try my best not to lurk too much.

:rolleyes:

Er... I guess I could be called a lurker. I've been geocaching for about a year, mostly in the company of my partner in crime, dogbreathcanada (but don't hold that against me, please!) :anicute:

Likes : micros (yup, I'm a weirdo) ; leaving nice trades without taking any or writing it in the logs (good karma) ; caches with a story behind them, or ones that reveal something about local history; puzzle caches and/or witty caches (halfcanadian's are great).

Dislikes : hacky sacks, hacky sacks, hacky sacks. I swear, if I see another one of the darn things, I'm going to hunt down whoever who left it in the cache and bean them with it! Well, hacky sacks and any other piece of crap or broken or plain-old yucky thing that's bound to disappoint kids and/or go mouldy (I'm a mother, you see). I mean, c'mon people! Half-used chapstick?! Opened bandaids?! (I'll stop before I get high blood pressure).

Anyhoo, that's about it for me. TTFN! :lol:

Greetings!

Having returned from some introductory Geocaching in Canada (about 20 caches), I've continued in and around the Coventry area where I live, placing my first cache last weekend.

It's brill, but distance is a little restrictive for me at the moment considering I don't own a car. Cycling distance (or maybe train if I hear of some good ones) will have to do for now.

I'll try and keep an eye out on the forums as often as I get the chance, looking forward to increasing the number and quality of caches in the area.

Stop putting KFC wipes and hand cream samples in caches, PLEASE?!! B)

I had to wrestle an expired phonecard from the cold, dead fingers of a friend I took caching with me before he could place it in a cache. :)

Hi, I am part of the Ladybugs and we are just getting started in caching. I think we have found 8. :unsure: We really like it but don't have much time. I have been reading/lurking to get questions answered and to generally find out what is going on. All in all the forums have been informative.

Thanks,

Judy

I don't post much because I don't often have input to offer - and do not see any need to repeat what someone else has said - especially if it is to chime in with a "me too"

There is a good bit of tedium - obviously overworked topics (and this from the perspective of someone who has been reading here for a couple weeks at most) but there is also much of value. I hope folks don't think we aren't pulling our weight when we don't post.

This is Ms.L from LLCOOL (I type faster than Mr.L) Well, this is an interesting introduction to "forum". We are quite new to caching, with 153 in last couple of months. We plan to attend our first Geocaching Event next month, and are looking forward to meeting some new people. I have read some of the forum postings a few times (does that make me a "lurker"?), but this is my first attempt to post. Obsiously, I don't know what I'm doing!! RE the negative posting that you all are talking about, I don't understand that at all. Isn't this a "game" just for fun? I haven't come across any problems, and sure hope that it stays that way. The cachers here in Spokane must be a great bunch, since they have been most helpful thru eMails, etc. I look forward to learning more about the "forums", and will do all I can to avoid any conflict. There is enough of that in the "real world". Nice to meet everyone online, anyway!!! Thanks for this opportunity for me to try to get my feet wet!!! :(

As a retired veteran I visited and joined several VET sites and stopped going back due to "over flaming". As with this site I was a lurker. Why.....???? It is plain to see. Some just want to learn and not take part in "flames" or other subjects that have nothing to do with our sport...does no good. BTW lurking is good for business as we are the "silent majority" who speak only good things of GEOCACHING. It's a lot of fun....

Hi....my name is dirtymartini and I'm an alcoholic...sorry wrong forum  :(  ...no wait....I meant a lurker !  I'm from NE PA and am very new to this. I bought a Garmin 60CS last week and have found 1 cache so far.  Right now I  am lurking and reading.

Welcome! I'm hoping to get to your area (Delaware Water Gap) and do some caching!

There must be plenty there!

--Marc

July 27, 2005 @ 11:13 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Hi....my name is dirtymartini and I'm an alcoholic...sorry wrong forum  :(  ...no wait....I meant a lurker !  I'm from NE PA and am very new to this. I bought a Garmin 60CS last week and have found 1 cache so far.  Right now I  am lurking and reading.

Welcome! I'm hoping to get to your area (Delaware Water Gap) and do some caching!

There must be plenty there!

--Marc

July 27, 2005 @ 11:13 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

I'm sure...but I haven't searched yet. My wife and I are going there for the Jazz Festival the first weekend in Sept. Hope to do some geocaching then.

I've been looking at the site for a while. Finally Decided to start geocaching While in Prague over Winter Break from School. I live in AZ where (where the sun is). got like less then 10 caches found. hopefully to change with some time off and school starting. Ummm yeah I think thats it.