Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Now, I am the ultimate lurker.. This is my first post. I tend to stay away from message boards. I do enjoy reading all of the comments, but tend to stay quiet. I don't have time to constantly monitor what is going on here so every once in a while I'll just check it out.

I read today that the board hit the 1,000,000 mark for posts. Looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on :o

You guys just keep the battle going and us lurkers will pick up the remains when you are finished :huh:

Hi Everyone!

I'm Russel, and I'm fairly new to the sport. I've only found three caches so far! I do love to do it, but I'm busy with graduate school most of the time. I read the forums every once in a while to read about caching stories, but I don't usually feel like I have much to say, so I don't post.

Russel.

Hi. Davis Family here. Just started Geo-caching less than a week ago (2/13/05 to be exact). The wife got me a GPS (Magellan Meridian Gold) for my b-day and since then I've been dragging it and the family all around. This is great! Once the initial investment is done, this is a inexpensive, family friendly sport. The kids enjoy it; I enjoy it and even the wife enjoys it.

Yes, I am a lurker. I haven't seen anything I felt the need to comment on.

We'll see ya'll on the track (somewhere).

Hi

<_< I’ve been lurking and finally got up the nerve to ask a question…

I’m new to all this and I could use some help…I’d like to know where I should start a thread posing a question: I’m going on a trip from San Jose, CA to Las Vegas, NV and need some input as to what some of the “must do” caches would be on the way.

Could someone steer me in the right direction?

My one year caching anniversary is coming up and my goal is still to reach an average of one cache a day for the first year (I will need 39 more) and I’d like my 365th to end in Las Vegas, which cache would y’all recommend?

Thanx for your input, Smiles, Pinky B

New to geacaching and have only found 4 caches so far. Out of the 4 caches Ive logged Ive received 2 e-mail from some of the other members welcoming me aboard. Everyone has been real nice and just wanted to say thanks.

By the way I coame across a website http://www.gpsthemovie.com/production/

I briefly looked around for post but didnt see any, maybe I just didnt look hard enough. Does anyone know anymore about this movie than whats on the web site. All I know is that its a suspense/thriller/horror film based on geocaching.

GT

Hello,

I read the posts about every day, but am leary of posting my 2 cents. I enjoy reading the posts that stay on topic and answer the questions because i am new to the sport. I don't care for the sharp comments. It is easy in this medium to do so without the fear of face to face confrontation.

So, hello geocaching world. I hope that this sport stays strong and true to the ideals that started it.

Thanks,

Black Burn

Hello,

I read the posts about every day, but am leary of posting my 2 cents. I enjoy reading the posts that stay on topic and answer the questions because i am new to the sport. I don't care for the sharp comments. It is easy in this medium to do so without the fear of face to face confrontation.

So, hello geocaching world. I hope that this sport stays strong and true to the ideals that started it.

Thanks,

Black Burn

I forward this request!

This is Geocaching by the way...in case we forgot!

I have an RSS link on my homepage so I can see if there are any new posts. Every once in awhile I'll click over and take a look at any interesting threads, but I don't tend to jump in unless I can add to the discussion. I'm too new to the sport to be answering questions so until I know ALOT more, I'll just be watching and learning.

Hi all from the middle of Iowa!

I have been popping in & out for a while now. I like to reply if I know I am not repeating something that someone else has already said. However, I might put in a little sarcasm if the need is there.

If you want to know more, just ask :lol:

-LM

------------

If it aint broke, fix it anyway!

I was shocked to see how short some forum members tempers are with others. As a famous philosopher once said - "can't we all just get along?" I am new to the sport and enjoy it more and more. I've always been a hiker/backpacker and lover of the undiscovered. Geocaching gives me the best of both of those worlds (both on the trail and in the city). My concern is that if members flame newbies, or anyone for that matter based on the perception of a "silly" question or that the question already exists in some buried thread people will stop asking questions. I hope that all members will mentor new fans of the game so that they will grow and eventually ask some things that could stump all the OG's (original Geocachers). Anyway, I cannot wait to see how this game evolves. The possibilities are endless.

I was shocked to see how short some forum members tempers are with others. As a famous philosopher once said - "can't we all just get along?" I am new to the sport and enjoy it more and more. I've always been a hiker/backpacker and lover of the undiscovered. Geocaching gives me the best of both of those worlds (both on the trail and in the city). My concern is that if members flame newbies, or anyone for that matter based on the perception of a "silly" question or that the question already exists in some buried thread people will stop asking questions. I hope that more experienced members will mentor new fans of the game so that they will grow and eventually ask some things that could stump all the OG's (original Geocachers). Anyway, I cannot wait to see how this game evolves. The possibilities are endless.

Lurker? Me? Guilty as charged! I guess I do a lot of reading what other, more knowedgable, geocachers have written in order to learn from them. Being relatively new I don't have much to say. When I feel I have something to add I'll jump in. Right now I just happy to be able to post a find now and then.

Guess you could call me a lurker of sorts, but thats only because I'm brand new to this sport and to these forums (but not to GPS). I have my wife to thank for suggesting that this is something that would be fun, and that we might be able to enjoy together with our young son.

Hope to have much to post and talk about in the near future as I begin to look for some local caches.

Cheers;

Eric

Greely, Ontario

Canada

GPS III+, Etrex Legend, and GPS Map 60CS on the way!

I was introduced to this GC thing about 4 years ago by a co-worker. I have been scouting the forums for about as long. I have seen Jeremy take a bunch of jabs and now see the Administrators taking a lot of heat. I don't support everyone's opinion on GC but I do find it interesting to read.

The direction of GC? I would like to see emphasis on quality caches.

Roadside markers, plastic bags, meaningless virtual caches, meaningless micros, should be discouraged, however, the hider's perception on what makes a good cache is too broad to control.

The answer is, just go caching. You be the judge. If you don't like the cache, say so in your log. What the hell is it there for anyway. Complaining about it on these forums are not going to do the trick.

Back to lurking. You might see me on the posts for a few

I have visited the site off and on for about a year but haven't posted b/c I haven't actively sought a cache.

Well, Dh is out buying the Garmin Map60CS as we speak, so I guess it's about time to make an appearance. :ph34r:

We'll be camping this weekend and are going to try to find our first cache. I am looking forward to it, especially since we'll be bringing our 4 y/o DS along. I hope he has fun and we'll be able to find another fun way to spend more time together as a family.

Hi! I'm very new to this - bought my gps yesterday and found my first cache tonight. :lol: I have always been a lurker on other boards I've followed, but am hoping to be more of an active poster...we'll see! This is a start!

Congratulations on the "UCK It's Monday" cache!

--Marc

April 1, 2005 @ 1:30 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

I read the forums several times a week. There are many intersting topics here, but by the time I read a thread where I have an opinion, there are usually so many replies and my point has been already covered by many posters, I just don't bother.

I was just reading the thread on who uses other cache listing sites, which was quite interesting. I enjoy geocaching and using my GPS, but there are so many other outdoor activities you can do with your GPS. I also enjoy the gpsgames.org site, particularly their new game Shutterspot.

I used to lurk a lot, but lately I've been trying to get myself more familiar with all the others here that enjoy this sport. My boyfriend and I started caching last May, and we took the winter off because we hate snow. Now the weather is nice again, so we're going out Sundays mostly to do some caching here and there.

But, as far as message forums go, I hate it when people start flaming and arguing about stupid things. Otherwise, these boards are nice to find tips and other info... and it's fun to just reach out and connect with other cachers about a wide variety of things, not just Geocaching itself, in the Off Topic forum too.

I'm a lurker and enjoy it that way. Quite honestly I forget this wesite is here. By no means am I stating that this site is not a good one.I spend most of my time looking at caches near and far. And part of the time on alacache.com which has a great participation rate from everyone involved.

I do believe folks should leave their feelings at the door when responding to forums. This is sport for all, not for one.

Thanks.....Squeeky