Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

On 5/23/2020 at 11:06 PM, CCB15 said:

I am in the same boat. Is it worth it? Maybe. I really enjoyed it and still do. 

My issue is with all the stuff that went away for those that had bought apps, had memberships has all gone away. It would have been nice had they even offered a month, 3 months, 6 months, year free membership. Had that happened, I may still cache. 

The unfortunate thing is all the stuff we had just got taken away. 

I miss it a lot and have just been snooping around again. 

Anyway, enjoy everyone! I get my opinion is not that of most, but it is my opinion and how I feel currently.

Stay safe, be respectful of others caches, and always respect the earth! 

One of the problems with the premium membership is in countries where the exchange rate is through the roof and/or the economy is bad. The dollar value for premium membership is high by comparison especially if one finds on an irregular basis, like when on vacation once a year. This discourages the activity. Would you pay $369 for a premium membership?

1 hour ago, KukriRSA said:

Salaries are similar to the US, but exchange rate turned $30 into R369 here, except now it's more like R400 for $30. As time goes on, so our currency goes further and further into the toilet. In the good old days we got two dollars for a rand.  

Thanks for the clarification... you simply used the wrong currency symbol... $ instead of R(and).

Edited by RuideAlmeida

HotDog1950 intro. My first post, and today was the first time I've "Lurked" and only on this thread.  I enjoy geocaching, have almost 300 finds and about 2 dozen hides. I enjoy getting out of doors and getting my grandchildren outside.  I have attended a couple of events and enjoy meeting others with similar interests.  I first started in PA years ago, but I'm not sure there was an app back then, only a website.  When I visited Merida, Mexico in the Yucatan recently, I noticed there are not many geocaches in that area, but I did find one and got my third country badge.  My son and DIL are now premium members and enjoy geocaching too.  I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for hides.  Suggestions welcome. Get Out!

• Upvote 2

Hello all. My name is Dan. I'm a horror author. I've also been interested in giving this hobby a go as well. Before I get too far, I want to say that I respect everyone's hobbies, but as a writer, I must look for inspiration wherever I can. That said, please know that I have no plans to cast an ill light on geocaching with what I'm about to ask. I know that this hobby is geared to be family-friendly. I want to write a short story about a geocaching adventure gone wrong. Remember that (at least for the story I plan to write), the gore factor must be minimal. My vision is like the "Saw" franchise but less icky unless I can't seem to keep it within the parameters of a short story (2000 to 5000 words). I've watched an introductory video that gave me "rules" to go by and directed me to this community. I need coordinates (I might use those for section titles), there could be a trade-off, and some things could be trackable, all of which are useful for the story. The questions would be, what would the villain get out of it (even if it's simply the thrill of the game)? What would be the driving force for the participants? Money is good, but not everyone sees money as the only thing that matters. I am also thinking of adding to caches and making a separate adventure for people to enjoy that might parallel my story (family-friendly, of course). What could I add to a cache that would be okay for kids to find too? I was thinking of kid-friendly horror books like R.L. Stine or my friend who writes horror for kids (put into protective Ziplocs). What would be some other suggestions? Also leaning into a surrealistic slant on it due to the anthology being a mix of horror and sci-fi.

3 hours ago, DanBFierce said:

Hello all. My name is Dan.

Be welcome!

I would suggest that you do some caching for a while, attend some Events and talk to folks there... I bet all (almost) your questions will be answered just by playing.

On the other hand you may be interested also in some geocaching based books and movies or series, like Splinterheads, Dark, etc.

Some rare geocoins would be good things to leave in the caches, or memorabilia from pop culture, like the original artifacts in the APE Cache series, from Planet of the Apes.

Enjoy and be inspired. ;)

PS: I have done a lot of covers for the portuguese versions of Goosebumps, from R. L. Stine. ;)

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Be welcome!

I would suggest that you do some caching for a while, attend some Events and talk to folks there... I bet all (almost) your questions will be answered just by playing.

On the other hand you may be interested also in some geocaching based books and movies or series, like Splinterheads, Dark, etc.

Some rare geocoins would be good things to leave in the caches, or memorabilia from pop culture, like the original artifacts in the APE Cache series, from Planet of the Apes.

Enjoy and be inspired. ;)

PS: I have done a lot of covers for the portuguese versions of Goosebumps, from R. L. Stine. ;)

I do plan on giving geocaching a shot, most likely in the spring. Would it be arrogant to leave copies of a short story (even if it's not family-friendly), or bookmarks, or is that too cheesy? also, what are geocoins? (BTW... Cool that you did the Portuguese covers!)

3 hours ago, DanBFierce said:

... what are geocoins?

In this hobby we have several types of trackables (objects that travel from cache to cache), like Travel-Bugs (standardized more or less) and Geocoins (these are made by geocachers).

See some that I designed over the years...

15972483_709058989271219_2100567753062804015_o.jpg

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Love 2

Hi there,

I am not really a lurker since this is my very first time at the forums and I am also new to Geocaching. I just started this past week and have 13 finds so far. :D The reason I came to the forums is to see if anyone was concerned about the recent spate of people being shot at for making a wrong turn? I am not an expert with a GPS by any means and at 63 I know I am going to make the occasional mistake when driving around. I realize we probably can't do anything about it, but even though I am a newbie, I have fallen in love with geocaching and would hate to have to give it up already for fear of losing my life. :(  Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Caly in Athens GA

I'm not really a lurker but it's been a while. My grandchildren are at the right age and it was a great day for it so I took them out. They had a ball not only caching but just running around out in the woods too.

So I guess I'm just saying, hello everyone!

I celebrated 20 years caching last year on 8/11/2022. My first year of geocaching, way back in 2002! I have been in/out of the sport since then, but I am trying my best to stay active and have found a renewed interest in geocaching. I am able to geocache more than ever before (retirement is great!).  I read every one of the logs for my caches and try to respond to each.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Hey!

I am a Swede who got introduced to Geocaching through my brothers back in 2008.

Sadly I did not keep it up through the years until recently where, after I moved back home to my home city and rediscovered the love of Geocaching, begun to cache again!

I started around my city and brought my nephew with me. The boy at 8 years old became increasingly fond of it so we have done many caches together and I've taught him about Geocaching, its rules and even fond some trackables together.

His grandpa, and my father, soon got involved in this and now we are a party of three who suddenly fell in love with Geocaching! Even my girlfriend have become real attached to it.

I'm just about to break my 100th cache yet have become an active cacher in our local community where the knowledge of geocache is spreading like the flu due to my initiative and family engagement.

Even the family dog is coming along!

I look forward to join the community on a global scale and hope to contribute to Geocache from any means possible! To begin with, a true loyal member of the community 🥰

// Sickobraino 

Snapchat-842606568.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hello, hello! Glad to see an active forum...I just got into geocaching casually in the last couple years. Only this week I have managed to reach 100 finds! I am hoping to be able to place my own cache one day, though I still sometimes struggle with identifying likely locations. With practice will come more clarity.

hello fellow geocachers,

Actively geocaching for only half a year so far. It is too late, I'm now addicted with over 730 finds (670+ caches, the rest being Adventure Labs). Deaf myself, and have introduced some members of the deaf & hard of hearing communities to this outdoor recreation sport / activity. Gave an introduction talk earlier this month, and have been asked to spread this to more people at other locations of Australia (might do this online as my homeland is too big to travel!).

One of the reasons I did that was to promote deaf mental health postivitely. Double the rate of the hearing world, due to extra barriers of communication and more. That geocaching would encourage them to explore more of their local areas, by detouring off their usual route to work / school / college / shops. Small wins by making individual finds would help to build their self-confidence. I do tell them that many hearing people take up this activity for similar gains.

Excited to head off to two Mega Events in Australia, in the next few months. Geotolerant spouse will come with me to one of these.

Cheers, SurdiVisio

• Upvote 2

Hey everyone,

I started caching about 4 years ago and have found lots of helpful info on the forum in the past. This is the one hobby I just keep getting more into as time passes, so happy to start posting here once in a while. :)

• Upvote 2

Hello everyone! This is my first time delving into the forums, so I thought I'd say hi. I first started caching in the summer of 2016, and I loved it. Unfortunately, life happened and I took a hiatus. I am hoping to get back into it pretty heavy, as I truly love the outdoors.