Broken images in GeoCache description.

walkthruexits

Ever cache page I look at all the images are broken. The images in the in the log are ok. It's.the images that the C/O use on the main page. Anybody else having this problem? Yes I have tried everything
I could to make sure it wasn't a problem with my phone or an app I'm using Android. It does it when I go to geocaching.com in my mobile browser. I tried several different browsers before posting on here.

It isn't you. A few third party photo hosting website are either shutting down or turning off free hosting. Because of this, a lot of URLs are now broken.

(One solution would be for Groundspeak to make  a photo hosting site)

Edited by igator210
(grammer)
21 hours ago, walkthruexits said:

Ever cache page I look at all the images are broken.

Broken how?

What do you see?

Give us an example.

All cache pages I look at are displaying images OK, except those where the images are hosted on Photobucket, but that's a problem created by Photobucket, not Geocaching/Groundspeak.

18 hours ago, igator210 said:

One solution would be for Groundspeak to make  a photo hosting site

2 hours ago, walkthruexits said:

Yeah Groundspeak needs to step in

Groundspeak already host pictures that you upload to your cache page, or logs, those pictures can then be linked in the cache page, so they're already doing what you say they need to do. Some COs choose to use a third party site, and that can sometimes create the problems you're describing, but that's those CO's choice and it's not Geocaching/Groundspeak's fault.

14 minutes ago, walkthruexits said:

http://coord.info/GC1WB4N

please let me know what you see on this cache page. Thanks. But I'm also seeing images on other cache pages. I just emailed the C/O gonna see if he knows anything. Thanks everybody. 

Broken image, web address http://wally.unlimitedphoto.com/stuff/arch.gif

Unlimitedphoto.com web domain is for sale, so it looks like a defunct site.

Capture.JPG

On 07/29/2017 at 0:07 AM, MartyBartfast said:

Groundspeak already host pictures that you upload to your cache page, or logs, those pictures can then be linked in the cache page, so they're already doing what you say they need to do. Some COs choose to use a third party site, and that can sometimes create the problems you're describing, but that's those CO's choice and it's not Geocaching/Groundspeak's fault.

Yep. I used Photobucket to host photos that I then used on my cache pages. I was aware that there were alternative ways to host photos, but I didn't bother learning about them because Potobucket was easy. That attitude changed when I found out Photobucket was changing their terms. I then spent a small amount of time learning about the options and now the images on my cache pages are hosted by GS.

GS also eliminated the need for 3rd party image hosting by using an upgraded forum software that allows for direct photo upload.

Don't know how it is elsewhere but here (Belgium) ISPs offer limited free webspace with their internet subscriptions. That way it's possible to host images yourself without having to worry about free 3rd party services shutting down or changing policies.

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

Don't know how it is elsewhere but here (Belgium) ISPs offer limited free webspace with their internet subscriptions. 

Where I am in the Northeast US some ISPs provide webspace and others don't. Some that do/did change their policies and no longer. Also subscribers, if services by multiple ISPs, switch and their old webspace would be deleted. The cacher, assuming active, would need to update their cache pages in those instances. 

I have my own shared web hosting service for $7/mo for other reasons and can use that if needed.

Same here, I have my own domain + hosting for about 13 years. Some basic hosting can even be had for €1/month. As with all things free, conditions can change quickly. I se a few free services (yahoo groups is one of them) but have a backup plan should they disappear.

BTW, my current (and previous) ISP has free webspace but I don't use it. Same goes for mailboxes, hosting your own makes it easier to change ISP's anyway.

Having your own website/hosting provider is almost essential this day and age for anyone whose life is significantly online :)  It's great for email identification. It's like having your own phone number. Or an address that will never change like when you move. Move in to your domain, and the domain is forever yours - even if your hosting provider goes down, you still own your domain and can just move everything over to a new provider, and nothing needs to change.  If only moving your physical home address were that easy...

On 7/28/2017 at 8:16 AM, igator210 said:

It isn't you. A few third party photo hosting website are either shutting down or turning off free hosting. Because of this, a lot of URLs are now broken.

(One solution would be for Groundspeak to make  a photo hosting site)

One advantage of using 3rd party image hosting sites is that those sites are all about hosting images and offer editing tools and the ability to manage photos into photos, sharing tools, and other features that I'd rather see GS *not* spend time developing.  

Rather than having GS spending time and resources on photo hosting I'd rather see an integration between the GS site and 3rd party image hosting services.  For example, I can take a picture on my phone and easily upload it to imgur, dropbox,flickr, picassa, or even instagram.  Linking a GS site with any of those sites would allow users to attach images from sites which are in the business of image hosting.

As with any "free" service, there are no guarantees (only that their income = your data that's collected). In over 20 years of internet a lot of free stuff came and went (anybody remember the free geocities websites?). Depending on free services may work for a while but you might keep a backup plan handy (and backup of your data too).

4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Linking a GS site with any of those sites would allow users to attach images from sites which are in the business of image hosting.

What kind of problems you have encountered when trying to link your images from those sites? For example Dropbox seems to work.

18 hours ago, arisoft said:
23 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Linking a GS site with any of those sites would allow users to attach images from sites which are in the business of image hosting.

What kind of problems you have encountered when trying to link your images from those sites? For example Dropbox seems to work.

I've also used Dropbox (which isn't really an image hosting service), but it already integrates with the OS as it allows Dropbox folder to be accessible as if it's a local folder.  I was thinking more of integration with the GS site/apps and with some of the other sites.