"Enable" link on archived caches no longer functions

hzoi

The old conventional wisdom was that, if one archived one's cache and later wanted to get it unarchived, one could perform any needed maintenance, click the "enable" link on the cache page, and then contact a reviewer to get them to unarchive the cache.

Now, when I go to our archived caches and click "enable," I get:

The log type you selected is no longer available. Please continue with a different log type.

Any reason why the link is still there if it no longer works?  Or is a revamped cache page (sans enable link on archived caches) one of the next things coming in the site redesign?

On 7/27/2017 at 4:17 PM, fuzziebear3 said:

I think the 'old conventional wisdom' was to disable your cache, and then re-enable it after maintenance.  Generally archiving is permanent, and will require a reviewer to undo an archive.

Understand, but still begs the question why archived caches still have an "enable" link if it no longer functions.

I never regarded your method as the "old conventional wisdom."  Enabling an archived cache has no practical effect.

A better workflow, which is supported by the current logging tools, is to write the reviewer first about unarchiving the cache.  In the rare case where I am able to unarchive the cache, I then tell the cache owner to enable their own cache page to confirm that the cache is in place and ready to be found. "Unarchive then enable" makes more sense to me than "Enable then unarchive."

On 7/29/2017 at 10:33 AM, Keystone said:

I never regarded your method as the "old conventional wisdom."  Enabling an archived cache has no practical effect.

I thought that, if a cache was disabled before it was archived, it would remain disabled even if it had been unarchived.  (These statuses at least used to be unconnected.)  I thought therefore that enabling the archived cache would be the way to signal to the reviewer that the cache was viable and was ready to be unarchived.  But, whatever, it appears to be a relatively insignificant  point.  Moving on.

2 hours ago, hzoi said:

I thought that, if a cache was disabled before it was archived, it would remain disabled even if it had been unarchived.  (These statuses at least used to be unconnected.)  I thought therefore that enabling the archived cache would be the way to signal to the reviewer that the cache was viable and was ready to be unarchived.  But, whatever, it appears to be a relatively insignificant  point.  Moving on.

Unless your local Reviewer has your Listing on a Watchlist, there is nothing in the actions you described that would alert a Reviewer that you've taken action on the Listing.  I get this a fair amount actually.  People will post a Note, thinking that I'll see the Note.  I don't see any useful purpose in putting Listings I've Archived or that the CO has Archived voluntarily, on  a Watchlist.  As far as I'm concerned, final action has been taken and there's no reason to revisit the Listing (unless there's some logging abuse, but that's a subject for another thread....).   At this time, there is no Log Queue, like what is generated for NA log types, for other log type entries (edit small correction...Coordinate Update log types also land in a Queue to review as well) .  The only way to positively get a Reviewers attention, would be to contact them through their Profile.

Edited by Nomex