Souvenierdiscription in other languages

schsch13

On 7/27/2017 at 1:22 AM, schsch13 said:

Hello Groundspeak,

you invest so much time into the design of souveniers.
Why don't you invest 2 more days to translate the description into the 23 other languages?

Although GS may employ a few people that speak a language other than English, they rely on the volunteer efforts of others in the community to provide translations on some portions of the site.  The fact that some of the sites is available in 23 languages is pretty impressive.  I do a pretty fair amount of work with a U.N. agency (FAO) and they only have six official languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish) and although the main web site (www.fao.org) is available in those six languages, there are many other sites within the organization (a few that I helped develop) that are only available in English.   

I assume from looking at your profile that you're interested in translating souvenir text in the Germany for the Germany and Bundesländer souvenirs.  Looking at my own profile I see that the souvenirs for Hessen and Hamburg (I hope to get the ones for Berlin *do* have some "additional information" in German. Upon further investigation it looks like all of the Bundesländer souvenirs include additional information in German and the only one that doesn't is the one for Deutschland.

As a developer, I've worked with multi-language support on several systems.  Translating the text might only take a couple of days if volunteers for each languages are willing to put in the work.  Modifying the application such that it displays souvenir text in a users language of choice may require a bit more work.  

4 hours ago, nehaagarwald said:

Hi NYPaddleCacher,

I found github for geocache app. https://github.com/de-dan/GeoCaching-iOS/tree/master/GeoCaching iOS/GeoCaching/MainView

Is this the one where volunteers can contribute? For e.g. for translation?

Regards,

Neha.

I don't know anything about that site but it just looks like a Geocaching app for IOS (iPhone).  

I did a bit of poking around but couldn't find anything which described how one could volunteer as a translator.  I just know that portions of the web site have been translated into several languages and those translations are all done by volunteers in the geocaching community.  I don't think I can recall ever seeing Groundspeak solicit for volunteers.  Considering that Germany has one of the highest  numbers of geocachers by country in the world I suspect that they aren't looking for German translators but might welcome volunteers that speak less frequently used languages.  

In terms of souvenir translations, having the text in English and the language of the country for which the souvenir is associated is probably enough.  In the case of the souvenirs for Germany and it's Bundesländer, I suspect almost every one that has obtained them speaks either English or German (or both).  BTW, I did get the souvenir for Berlin and another (Niedersachsen) for finding a cache in Hannover during a trip a couple of months ago.