Nano containers...purpose made or re-purposed?

Nubster

The current ones that are sold as nano-size geocache containers are made specifically as geocaches.

The early ones were repurposed from blinking LED jewelry. The battery was removed, and a log scroll was placed in the battery compartment. The magnet that was used to attach the blinking LED jewelry to clothing was used to stick the container to a metal object. The LED itself was left as is, or painted over.

That's why this style of nano-size geocache is sometimes called a "blinker" or a "blinkie".

• Upvote 6
18 hours ago, niraD said:

The current ones that are sold as nano-size geocache containers are made specifically as geocaches.

The early ones were repurposed from blinking LED jewelry. The battery was removed, and a log scroll was placed in the battery compartment. The magnet that was used to attach the blinking LED jewelry to clothing was used to stick the container to a metal object. The LED itself was left as is, or painted over.

That's why this style of nano-size geocache is sometimes called a "blinker" or a "blinkie".

It's true...you really DO learn something new every day.  It's not always useful and not always interesting...

• Upvote 1

I placed a couple of these blinkies 10 years ago. One in a park in Manhattan which was well received and another near where I live in Long island which only a few people found. After I archived those two I never had any interest in placing them again. I still find them pretty often. I won't go looking for them specifically but I'll find them if they're on my route.

On 7/26/2017 at 0:41 PM, niraD said:

Very cool niraD!  I didn't realize that!  I kind of thought they were like a bison tube to hold pills.  I always wondered why someone would want something so small for one pill and the magnet.  That was really cool to hear!  Thanks