Girl Scout Geocaches

JasarKiz

So my daughter is a Junior Girl scout. We're are doing our new outdoor Journey. After we complete it we are required to do a Take Action Project. I took my daughter out caching today and I thought we could go s short series of caches: cache one leads to cache two, etc based on the Girl Scout Promise like one line per cache:

On my honor, I will try

To serve God and my country

To help people at all times

And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

and have the last one be large enough for swaps as a "reward".

My question is, is this feasible to do in a small downtown or would a park be better, and If this was a good set up?

• Upvote 1

When you say "cache one leads to cache two," do you mean a multicache, or a series of separately listed caches?  In the latter case, be sure to avoid "daisy chaining."  You cannot place the coordinates to the next cache over and over again.  This guards against the risk of cache #3 in a 10 cache series going missing, rendering eight caches un-findable instead of one.  A clue in each stage to lead  to the next stage is the defining element of a multicache.

As for locations, a "small downtown" would be more suitable for a single multicache, because separate caches must be at least 528 feet apart while there is no minimum separation for stages of the same multicache.  Regardless of the cache design, for a downtown area please try to feature sites of historical, scientific or scenic interest.  Avoid calling attention to the local ice cream shop or family restaurant, due to the listing guideline restrictions on commercial caches.

In a large park with a loop trail that's a mile long, you have more space to place four or five caches in the woods.  The biggest challenge in many areas is finding a park that is not already filled with caches!

13 hours ago, JasarKiz said:

So my daughter is a Junior Girl scout. We're are doing our new outdoor Journey. After we complete it we are required to do a Take Action Project. I took my daughter out caching today and I thought we could go s short series of caches: cache one leads to cache two, etc based on the Girl Scout Promise like one line per cache:

On my honor, I will try

To serve God and my country

To help people at all times

And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

and have the last one be large enough for swaps as a "reward".

My question is, is this feasible to do in a small downtown or would a park be better, and If this was a good set up?

My daughter is also in Girl Scouts and I was thinking about doing something with geocaching. Let me know how things go on your end; I'm interested to read your experiences.