Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
BK-Hunters

Electric Bicycles, Motorcycles and Scooters Rentals

We have received several inquiries about Electric Bicycles with the possibility of them being approved in the Battery Powered Personal Transport Rental category.

These electric bicycles were excluded from the category when first proposed and approved with this exclusion.

The Bicycle Rental category will accept  ONLY as stated in the requirements "Bicycles must be at least partially human-powered and have wheels and pedals in order to qualify for this category."

It seems logical to just expand the existing category to include these e-bikes that are not partially human-powered.  Then we are faced with the dilemma of  e-motorcycles, e-scooters or e-bicycles that are not partially human-powered. There maybe other possibilities that are available for rental that I just have not thought to include. I would think no cars, or those covered by another category such as personal transports as described in the Battery Powered Personal Transport Rental category.

Just something to think about. 

While I am at it, I have requested that the name of the category: Battery Powered Personal Transport Rental be changed to Electric Personal Transport Rentals I did not receive a reply. Still would like to simplify the name of the category - Thoughts?

This topic came to mind as I saw at a nearby university about a thousand electric scooters for rent placed anywhere and everywhere. Literally dumped all over campus and surrounding area. Everywhere! My husband says the students are using them more than bicycles!

We are still open to the possibility of including Electric Bicycles, Motorcycles and Scooters Rentals.

Though the category can be expanded it will require a rework.  The requirements will be basically the same.

Thoughts about this possibility and suggestions about a category name change. 

One possibility is Electric Personal Transport Rentals.

The word "Personal" to be understood as more inclusive.

Or Electric Transportation Rentals

Are you aware you could not change the category name? You can alter its definition to accept more items. Many have tried. The group name and categories they look after, the names are fairly irrelevant. The definition is more important. Don't you want the names to be memorable.

On 9/29/2018 at 6:21 PM, Max and 99 said:

This topic came to mind as I saw at a nearby university about a thousand electric scooters for rent placed anywhere and everywhere. Literally dumped all over campus and surrounding area. Everywhere! My husband says the students are using them more than bicycles!

The university I'm at now has exactly this. Lots of solar bikes that you can rent through an app. You type in a code and the bike wheel unlocks enabling you to ride. I've seen some without rental kiosks that just line the streets (San Diego for example has tons of bike everywhere) while on my college campus they seem to be at kiosks.

I would be in favor of these being included in the Battery Powered Personal Transport Rental if the solar (or battery powered bikes) are located at a kiosk or store. This would indicate there's something there to visit and see. I wouldn't mind seeing these categories cross over as seen many times with bike shops and bike rentals.

In parts of Canada the electric bicycles (e-bike) must include pedals, or it will be considered a motorcycle and will require license and insurance (there are a few additional requirements, but irrelevant to this discussion). Meaning that majority of electric bikes in Ontario can be "human powered", although they don't have to be pedaled to be propelled.

If you remove the pedals from your e-bike, it is no longer considered to be an e-bike because it does not conform with the Highway Traffic Act definition of a power-assisted bicycle. Removing the pedals makes it an illegal vehicle. You could be ticketed for operating a motor vehicle without registration and insurance.

Source: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/electric-bicycles-faq.shtml

I in some European countries (and maybe elsewhere) E-bikes can only provide 'electric-assistance" - meaning the bike must be pedaled (human-power) or the battery-powered motor will not engage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

All that to say that some electric bikes are/must be human powered, at least must be capable of being human powered.

I put over 12,000kms on my ebike, over the course of 3 or 4 years. A converted mountain bike, not a scooter. And I nearly always pedaled because then I could go even a little bit faster :)

No idea if this helps you in any way but there it is.

18 hours ago, bluesnote said:

I would be in favor of these being included in the Battery Powered Personal Transport Rental if the solar (or battery powered bikes) are located at a kiosk or store. This would indicate there's something there to visit and see.

I agree

We are working on expanding the category to include other modes of electric personal transports. We will also consider solar powered personal transports that are NOT assisted by gasoline or other fuel .)

That said, we have reviewed the Bicycle Rentals category and they do accept e-bikes if they are partially human powered, which appears to be the case. 

Therefore, they will be excluded from this category. We will provide a link to Bicycle Rentals.

Vehicles such as cars, vans, trucks ATVs etc will continue to be excluded