Discovering Geocoins

SkNomad

Yesterday I placed my first geocoin. Since then people have been discovering it. From what I've been able to find about discovering a geocoin is that you get a badge for that coin? I'm not sure but I think they can discover it because the trackable number is in the picture? Should I make it so that it's not discoverable? I don't mind, I'm just not sure if that's standard for a travelling geocoin.

Thanks!!

35 minutes ago, SkNomad said:

Yesterday I placed my first geocoin. Since then people have been discovering it. From what I've been able to find about discovering a geocoin is that you get a badge for that coin? I'm not sure but I think they can discover it because the trackable number is in the picture? Should I make it so that it's not discoverable? I don't mind, I'm just not sure if that's standard for a travelling geocoin.

Thanks!!

One of the most important things about about Trackables is, do not post the tracking number in public. And since you've set up the coin in a race, you need real logs from people who actually held the coin. With all the bogus logs your has already, it's a virtual number now, not necessarily "trackable".

If you don't mind "virtual logs" (discoveries due to people finding out the number), then posting the number online is your call, but the logs can become a confusing mess. 

Edited by kunarion
42 minutes ago, SkNomad said:

I'm not sure but I think they can discover it because the trackable number is in the picture?

That is correct.  A number of the log entries reference seeing your coin in the GC Gallery, so it looks like they are just looking at the picture and posting a log to get the icon, without actually handling the coin itself.  Social media being what it is, you can expect your tracking number to join the long list  of available "virtual Discoveries" that are floating around in the internet ether.

5 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

That is correct.  A number of the log entries reference seeing your coin in the GC Gallery, so it looks like they are just looking at the picture and posting a log to get the icon, without actually handling the coin itself.  Social media being what it is, you can expect your tracking number to join the long list  of available "virtual Discoveries" that are floating around in the internet ether.

Yep. :)

Almost ten years ago, the other 2/3rds thought that leaving pages of her coin codes at events was a good idea.

- Heck, many did it (at that time).   Easier than writing 'em by hand.

Folks still "discovering" coins that have been sitting in a closet showed that maybe it wasn't such a hot idea after all. 

10 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

I haven't become familiar with all the rules/ins & outs of trackables yet (I can only absorb so much at a time), but wouldn't (or shouldn't) claiming possession of something you haven't actually held in your own hands be contrary to the spirit of the hunt (or game, or whatever)?

It's a Discover log.  You "discovered" it,  simply means you (allegedly) saw it and now have the trackable's code.   :)

Some cachers have car trackable decals (usually on a back window or panel).   You discover it, since you can't actually possess it, but can see (discover) the code.

Some events have Trackable Owners who list their trackables code on a sheet or form for others to log virtually.

I guess many who grab them from pics are doing it just for stats, maybe kinda like fake loggers.