What is HOTJAR?

MacGrumpy

I have been using an iPad to log finds for over 2 years while on holiday in France; I live in the UK. In recent weeks I get a message that my Hotjar code does not match that of the Geocaching web site and that I have to change it. I did not have a problem until Geocaching introduced the new page format to log finds, also I cannot load maps of caches. How do I solve this problem?

In addition I use a net book to log finds as well, I do not have a problem doing this nor do I receive the error message. Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks for any assistance,

MacGrumpy.

2 hours ago, MacGrumpy said:

I have been using an iPad to log finds for over 2 years while on holiday in France; I live in the UK. In recent weeks I get a message that my Hotjar code does not match that of the Geocaching web site and that I have to change it. I did not have a problem until Geocaching introduced the new page format to log finds, also I cannot load maps of caches. How do I solve this problem?

In addition I use a net book to log finds as well, I do not have a problem doing this nor do I receive the error message. Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks for any assistance,

MacGrumpy.

In google... "Hotjar is a new powerful tool that reveals the online behaviour and voice of your users. By combining both A) Analysis and B) Feedback tools, Hotjar gives you the 'big picture' of how to improve your site's user experience and performance (conversion rates)."

Sorry, but I wouldn't know what that would have to do with this simple hobby. :)

Strange that you are getting alerts about hotjar as it's just another "google analytics" and as such not necessary for a website to work as intended. I block just about anything in Firefox (windows) with Noscript, adblock and Ghostery with no ill effects.

About hotjar:

Data Collected:

Anonymous (Analytics, Browser Information, Cookie Data , Date/Time, Demographic Data, Hardware/Software Type, Internet Service Provider, Interaction Data , Page Views , Serving Domains)
Pseudonymous (IP Address (EU PII), Location Based Data, Clickstream Data, Device ID (EU PII))
PII (EU- IP Address, EU- Unique Device ID )

Data Sharing:

Undisclosed

Data Retention:

Undisclosed

HotJar is a well known tool that provides insight into customer usage of a website and is a viable tool for determining what elements on the page are receiving traffic and what elements aren't, what areas of the page are receiving focus from the customer and what aren't. It's not a sleazy tool and is a way to gather customer feedback in determining how a change is performing or what changes should be considered. 

Related to the geocaching site, what I'd expect it would show is a lot of scrolling to get what you need on say the left nav of your dashboard. That would provide insight to the UX team at Groundspeak that the design needs tweaking to pull frequent elements up to reduce scrolling. Just one example of what HotJar might be used to help all of us. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all your attempts to help. I did the  Google search and did not understand a word of it, also I did not understand why the message had appeared on my iPad and not my Windows 10 netbook. Now that I am back in the UK I'm not using the iPad but am back on my Mac, no message here either. As Hotjar seems to be affecting the use of the iPad only on the Geocaching web site I need to get rid of it but the iPad does not seem to be allowing me any access to the program, app or whatever it is. If anyone has a clue how to solve this problem I'd love to hear from you but please write in plain English as I am a tecno-dinosaur.