Weather information over GPS?

Is it possible to broadcast any weather information over GPS satellites? I think it would be very nice to see a radar view about possible storms on GPS device in a middle of the forest where no any GSM signal. I've read that GPS has 50 bit/s bandwidth(maximum?) but I'm not sure if it is enough for any additional messages.

GPS is developed in the sixties/seventies of the last century with only one thing in mind: global positioning.

It seems a bit improbable to me global weather conditions would/could ever be implemented.

Maybe Glonass and/or Magellan have the ability? But even so, I can imagine it would be a payed feature for professional use only.

There are special satellite weather services for this purpose, but I wouldn't know if they are available for consumers.

32 minutes ago, Team CowboyPapa said:

Wow thanks I didn't know that. Although I don't need the outcoming communcitation only the incoming. Unfortunately it has no glonass support and as I see I have to pay twice for subscription? First for something basic service and another for weather forecast? 

If your GPSr has a barometer and you are at a constant elevation (e.g. on the water or at camp) then you can get an indication using the 345 rule-of-thumb, i.e., 4 or 5 millibar drop in pressure over 3 hours indicates approaching foul weather, and any drop greater than 5 mb / 3 hrs indicates the severity of the approaching storm.  A rising pressure indicates fair weather approaching, and a rise greater the 5 mb / 3 hrs expect windy but fair conditions.

• Upvote 1

Yes but as you mentioned it can be useful if you are in a constant elevation. But for example if I was in a middle of climbing and I wanted to check the weather (and I can't see the clouds because of the high mountains :P ) I would imagine the situation that check the gps receiver and see that a big red spot is coming and I would choose a direction to the closest shelter before the storm reaches me. ;)

But for example if I was in a middle of climbing and I wanted to check the weather (and I can't see the clouds because of the high mountains :P ) I would imagine the situation that check the gps receiver and see that a big red spot is coming and I would choose a direction to the closest shelter before the storm reaches me.

I'm a little bid confused.  You are going climbing without checking the weather forecast first?  I thought, this is an essential task for everyone hiking or climbing in the mountains.

If the mountains are so high that you can't see the clouds, your GPS receiver will probably not receive enough satellites to provide you any information.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

I'm a little bid confused.  You are going climbing without checking the weather forecast first?  I thought, this is an essential task for everyone hiking or climbing in the mountains.

If the mountains are so high that you can't see the clouds, your GPS receiver will probably not receive enough satellites to provide you any information.

Of course I check it every time. But as you well know the weather can change quickly in the mountains. So what I've seen before the climbing may won't be true 2 hours later. And I'm not agree with your last sentence. I think there can be such situation where you can't see the storm clouds because it is hided by a big vertical rock but your gps receiver can receive signals.