Removing clutter from OSM maps

Hi All,

I recently bought myself a Garmin eTrex 10, partly because it was cheap, mostly because I'm hoping that by having GPS+GLONASS it should somewhat remedy the "wandering waypoints" issues I have pretty frequently with my Samsung Galaxy S5.

I followed some instructions from the "Slowfood Survivalist" to replace the global base map (which is pretty much useless for my purposes) with a better quality map of my target area downloaded from Planet OSM, I've got the map in and it's all happy bar one thing;

One of the areas I frequently go caching in is a "Regional Park" which is indicated as being "treed" on the OSM, it's fine displayed on planet OSM but when I convert it and load it onto the eTrex that area is covered with black blobs which I assume are supposed to represent trees, which would be fine except for the fact that it obscures ALL the other information in the area :/

Can anybody give me some pointers for removing those "trees" from my maps? I had a hunt around on Planet OSM to see if I could suppress them by turning off a layer or something, but that does not appear to be possible.

Any suggestions would be gladly received.

Thanks,

jrandombob

Answering my own question, using Merkaartor I was able to determine that the display of the "blobs" on the eTrex is governed by the "landuse" tag being "forest" for one part and the "natural" tag being "wood" for the other, removing those tags and re-uploading the map I now have a working map.

Since OSM is just XML data I'll probably just do a search and replace on the file to strip out all of those tags.

Edited by jrandombob

Hello, I don't actually use that GPS but a quick search shows there is a de-clutter option like most Garmins :- https://static.garmin.com/pumac/eTrexLegendC_OwnersManual.pdf#page=22&zoom=auto,487,-96

Have you tried de cluttering, there are more options for the map display starting from this page of the manual :- https://static.garmin.com/pumac/eTrexLegendC_OwnersManual.pdf#page=19&zoom=auto,474,-96

Regards Bernard