Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
hzoi

Message center: not getting emails

Recommended Posts

I have my settings configured to get emails if I haven't been active in 30 minutes.  Should have gotten 2 or 3 emails today but I never received them.  (No, they were not in the spam folder, they were never sent.)

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not getting emails either, just the yellow icon showing there's a new message in the message centre. Bad form I know to mix issues... but can you *please* enlarge the box size for writing messages to more than a couple of lines?

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not getting any emails either. I have my configuration set to "Send me a notification every time I receive a message.". But none of the 6 messages I received yesterday (from different cachers) triggered any email notification.

Share this post


Link to post

Et moi. I just accidentally discovered a message sent yesterday asking for help on one of my puzzles. It didn't get forwarded either, and I've verified my notification setting.

Share this post


Link to post

I am not getting emails when I am sent a message and have discovered at a later time that they were there as the yellow icon is showing on the website. 

I reported this via the help and was told that it is not a bug. I was initially also told messages were not enabled on my account (which is not true as it is set to always receive email for messages) and the problem has continued since this reply from the help centre 

 I asked on my local Facebook group and it turns out many others are experiencing the same problem but most have not reported it  

If the accompanying email is not being recieved I would like to be able disable message centre on my account so that contact would be done by email and I will not miss messages. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm also not getting emails anymore from the Message Center. I just checked all my settings and nothing has changed. I used to get all the emails, but it seems to have stopped sometime last week.

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't received any email alerts from Messages for several days.  I accidentally discovered a bunch of unread messages, including some from folks who were visiting and had questions on a puzzle, but have now left.  

 

All my notifications are set.  Hope this one can be fixed soon!

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Me too. This is a real pain. I have many earthcaches etc and am not getting any email notifications. 

I have never had emails for replies to replies either, which is another problem. A reply could be sitting there for days without being noticed. 

Please fix both asap.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi everyone. There is an issue with the email notifications for message center. We are currently working to identify the issue and resolve it as quickly as possible. I am very sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing.

Share this post


Link to post

aw man, I wanted to get in a "me too" before there was a confirmation of a problem ;) hehe

Yeah, just realized I missed a few messages over the last couple of days (I rarely ever pay attention to the header badge for unread messages, and I can quickly forget about mobile push notifications of new messages).

Share this post


Link to post

Hello again! The issue has been resolved and the message center notification emails should be sent correctly again. I am once again sorry to those of you who rely on these notifications. We will be looking at why this issue went unreported by our monitoring systems.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm still having problems with MC emails: I've received two messages today, from a new contact, the messages being a couple of hours apart. MC sent me a notification for the second message only :-(

Share this post


Link to post

I'm also still experiencing issues with this. I had 2 messages sent with responses to my earth cache but never received email notifications.

Share this post


Link to post

Just wanted to bump this: I received two messages in the past 24 hours, one at 21:54 EDT on 11 October, one at 06:05 on 12 October, both of which should have triggered email notices.  I received emails for neither.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Just wanted to bump this: I received two messages in the past 24 hours, one at 21:54 EDT on 11 October, one at 06:05 on 12 October, both of which should have triggered email notices.  I received emails for neither.

Every time my MC notification feed is cut, I have opened a ticket on help center and after two to five e-mails the lackey has finally decided that the problem needs fixing at the server end. Then the problem is solved after some hours. I have noticed that this method works 400% better than reporting about the problem on this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, arisoft said:

Every time my MC notification feed is cut, I have opened a ticket on help center and after two to five e-mails the lackey has finally decided that the problem needs fixing at the server end. Then the problem is solved after some hours. I have noticed that this method works 400% better than reporting about the problem on this forum.

True, but posting here also tends to reveal whether or not other users are having the same problem.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, hzoi said:

Just wanted to bump this: I received two messages in the past 24 hours, one at 21:54 EDT on 11 October, one at 06:05 on 12 October, both of which should have triggered email notices.  I received emails for neither.

Hello hzoi,

It looks like your Message Center settings are not set to receive a notification for every message. Instead of "Send me a notification every time I receive a message", you have selected "Only send me a notification after 30 minutes of inactivity in a conversation". This is a not particularly clear way of saying - only receive a notification if there has been no activity from either person in the last 30 minutes which functions as a sliding window that is reset each time a new message in the conversation is sent.

Based on the timestamp of the messages that you provided they would not be within the 30 minute sliding window. Were the messages that you received in response to your own message? Were the messages from the same person or two separate people?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, HiddenGnome said:
1 hour ago, hzoi said:

Just wanted to bump this: I received two messages in the past 24 hours, one at 21:54 EDT on 11 October, one at 06:05 on 12 October, both of which should have triggered email notices.  I received emails for neither.

Hello hzoi,

It looks like your Message Center settings are not set to receive a notification for every message. Instead of "Send me a notification every time I receive a message", you have selected "Only send me a notification after 30 minutes of inactivity in a conversation". This is a not particularly clear way of saying - only receive a notification if there has been no activity from either person in the last 30 minutes which functions as a sliding window that is reset each time a new message in the conversation is sent.

Based on the timestamp of the messages that you provided they would not be within the 30 minute sliding window. Were the messages that you received in response to your own message? Were the messages from the same person or two separate people?

Thanks!

Yes, I'm tracking my setting on the message center.  It still should have triggered an email in both cases.

The two messages were from different cachers.

The message I got last night at 21:54 EDT was the first message that the first cacher had sent to me.  They initiated contact to send us answers for our earthcache; it wasn't in response to a message from us.

The message I got this morning at 06:05 was a response to a message I sent the second cacher.  Their message was sent just under 48 hours after I'd initially contacted them.

Prior to responding to both these messages this morning (at 10:34 and 10:35 EDT on 12 October, respectively), I last accessed the message center to send a message at 15:53 EDT on 11 October.

Share this post


Link to post

Earlier today I got a message from someone who's never messaged me before, let alone in the last 30 minutes, and didn't get an email. Nothing in my service provider's spam filter logs either, and in any case I have the geocaching.com domain white-listed.

Edited by barefootjeff

Share this post


Link to post

Just bumping this as it happened again last night, a first-time message from someone with no accompanying email.

Share this post


Link to post

I also dont get any emails from the message center.
this started more than a month ago i think.

Now I have to check the messageboard a few times a day :(

Share this post


Link to post

Me neither just have to check every so often. Hardly rocket science to get this right I would have thought.

Share this post


Link to post

FWIW, I just checked my Message Center (I never look at it) and it looks like I've received emails for all messages that have been sent to me recently. I even received two separate emails when a cacher and I were communicating back and forth and they sent me two messages. The email I use for caching is on Gmail.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, The A-Team said:

FWIW, I just checked my Message Center (I never look at it) and it looks like I've received emails for all messages that have been sent to me recently. I even received two separate emails when a cacher and I were communicating back and forth and they sent me two messages. The email I use for caching is on Gmail.

I probably should check the message center myself.   I'm planning on meeting a local geocacher in Kansas City this weekend that used to live in my area.  We haven't finalized plans and I would want to miss something because the message center didn't notify me by email.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you to everyone who has reported an issue. This is not going unnoticed. Unfortunately, the sporadic-ness of the issue is making it difficult to track down, but we'll continue to investigate until we find the common thread between the missing messages.

Share this post


Link to post

I am not getting emails either. Had a couple come in and nothing even after several hours.

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't been getting email about messages for a while now--have to check the message center when I get an EC log but no email.  Hope this gets fixed.

Share this post


Link to post

We have also had this issue for sometime. Discovered it when cachers had logged a virtual and  ECs with no answers. After requesting the answers they replied  with the answers via e-mail but stated they had sent them initially through the message center. After checking the message center the answers were there. Have never liked the message center as it just creates more hassle for EC and virtual cache owners.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have not received any email notification of new messages in Message Center since September 28. I have had 7 messages since then. Three of the senders were users with whom I had not been in contact before.

Share this post


Link to post

For any users experiencing issues receiving notifications of message center messages, please double check your Email Preferences under your Account Settings. The default Message Center sub-setting is to only send notifications after 30 minutes of inactivity in a conversation. If you would like notifications for every message, select the second sub-setting, "Send me a notification every time I receive a message."

If you change the setting and are still experiencing issues afterwards, please let us know.
 

Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, hleeful said:

For any users experiencing issues receiving notifications of message center messages, please double check your Email Preferences under your Account Settings. The default Message Center sub-setting is to only send notifications after 30 minutes of inactivity in a conversation. If you would like notifications for every message, select the second sub-setting, "Send me a notification every time I receive a message."

If you change the setting and are still experiencing issues afterwards, please let us know.
 

Capture.JPG

I admit I have "after 30 minutes checked" and fully intend to leave it checked, but does that explain why I got no notification for the message sent to me last night which was the first one I'd received from anyone in over a month?

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, hleeful said:

For any users experiencing issues receiving notifications of message center messages, please double check your Email Preferences under your Account Settings. The default Message Center sub-setting is to only send notifications after 30 minutes of inactivity in a conversation. If you would like notifications for every message, select the second sub-setting, "Send me a notification every time I receive a message."

If you change the setting and are still experiencing issues afterwards, please let us know.
 

Capture.JPG

How (if at all) does the operation of this part of email preferences change with the new setting available in the Message Center itself?

Edit: disregard, the new setting is only for forwarding my outgoing messages to my email, the existing email preferences apply to incoming messages.

Edited by hzoi

Share this post


Link to post

Good news! We have identified the issue that was causing email notifications to go missing and have deployed a partial fix. There is still a possibility that notifications will not come through if you are receiving notifications every 30 minutes and you receive a message (sent from the website) that includes both text and images. We hope to have that scenario fixed soon as well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/2/2017 at 4:27 PM, HiddenGnome said:

Good news! We have identified the issue that was causing email notifications to go missing and have deployed a partial fix. There is still a possibility that notifications will not come through if you are receiving notifications every 30 minutes and you receive a message (sent from the website) that includes both text and images. We hope to have that scenario fixed soon as well.

Things were working for me for a couple months.  Now I am no longer getting email notification when I have a message, regardless if it is an existing conversation or a message from someone who has never messaged me before.

Share this post


Link to post

And now they're working again.

Share this post


Link to post

OK, eight days later, and now they're not working again.  Got a message from someone last night who has never messaged me before, should have generated an email, but it did not.

Share this post


Link to post

I just discovered, that I also didn't get notifications for my latest received messages (end of December an Jan, 31st). The preferences were on the "30 minutes of inactivity" setting (I now changed it to "every time"), but both message were after days of inactivity, one was even a first contact.

edit: Now I just received a notification for a new message. I hope this will continue to work (?)

Edited by galadhdil
Addition

Share this post


Link to post

I posted back in October that I hadn't experienced this issue, but now I have. I was sent a message a couple of weeks ago, and I replied on Saturday morning via email at 8:25 am. It turns out the other cacher did respond at 11:14 am, but I never got an email for that message. The only reason I discovered that they had responded was that I later noticed a notification on the lock screen of my phone where I have the official app installed, saying that I had received a message. For the record, I have Message Center emails enabled with the setting "Send me a notification every time I receive a message".

Share this post


Link to post

Bump: this appears to be happening again.

I received an email at 14:41 local time that someone had logged a find on our earthcache.

I then looked at the message center, which had a message from the finder at 14:37, but I never got an email.

This user and I have had no previous contact via message center, so it's not because they had contacted me prior.

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like this is broken again. Someone just contacted me through the Message Centre with answers to my Earthcache but I didn't get any notification email even though my settings still show it set to send emails if there's been more than 30 minutes since the last message in the conversation. In this case it was the first time this person has ever messaged me. Luckily I was browsing the website at the time and happened to notice the yellow dot.

 

MessageCentreSetting.png.cb8735d00f11664a3be73bb5d3f917c3.png

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

if there's been more than 30 minutes since the last message in the conversation

 

The setting is not for "the conversation" but "a conversation". Why not to set it for all messages?

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, arisoft said:
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

if there's been more than 30 minutes since the last message in the conversation

 

The setting is not for "the conversation" but "a conversation". Why not to set it for all messages?

 

Presumably so if you get a message from a different person during that period, you'll still get an email for that. But regardless, there was no conversation with anyone in progress at the time I should've received the email. And before you ask, I've checked the log in my service provider's spam filter and it wasn't gobbled up by that - I have geocaching.com whitelisted anyway so it shouldn't touch any emails from that domain.

Edited by barefootjeff
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post

I set up to be emailed as text using phonenumber@vtext.com and it sent the text to verify by going to a link....link is to email page with no way to verfiy. This sucks.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4

×