Photobucket

Piggy53

Any comments or suggestions re the Photobucket debacle.  ??

I have a few pictures up there which I have re-acquired but quite a few of my profile page achievements have gone blank because of their decision to stop third-party access.

I for one will not pay to use the system and wonder what everybody elses thoughts are. ?

Right guys..

I've done a little digging. It's a bit of a faff but if you take a copy of your profile sections that use Photobucket and save them in a notepad for reference.

Then looking at these saves you can see WHO has uploaded the pics to PB.  Assuming you have a free account on PB you can search for these pics by looking for the user and then copy the pic to your own library. Use the 3 lines to the left of the pic and press copy. When the pop up appears select your own bucket.

Bit tedious I know but...!!  Once you have these pics go back to your bucket and download them to your Hdd.

That is done by selecting the "gear" top right of the pic and selecting download.

Create an account on Tinypics website and up load the pics to there.

Use the link for websites and replace those in your profile with the ones from Tinypic not forgetting to add to the link any resizing that needs doing.

Almost caught me out that bit..

Eh Voila once you save your profile you should have all your pics back again and in your own library and NOT on Robbing-basket err I mean Photobucket lol

Have fun.  Give me a shout if you have problems.

Peter, Piggy53

Edited by Piggy53

I have another workaround, where I get the image by pretending to be a web server, but I doubt any workaround will work for long, as PB closes the various holes.  Please, please, please, people -- get your images off of the various "free" hosting services.  At least three have stopped working this year alone, and even though you might find one that works, it is by no means guaranteed to do so for long.

Getting your own hosting is the best solution and as a bonus costs a lot less than the photo hosting services want to charge,  I think a basic web hosting is around $50 a year or so.

2 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Or save the money and aggravation, and upload them to a cache page on geocaching.com.  Such as an old archived cache you've got lying around.  Groundspeak's hosting has been reliable.

There was just a big discussion about all this...

I agree.  We use an archived cache too.

The OP has a couple as well,  we find it the easiest option.   :)

2 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Or save the money and aggravation, and upload them to a cache page on geocaching.com.  Such as an old archived cache you've got lying around.  Groundspeak's hosting has been reliable.

Yes - that was me that rekindled that one.

It was very helpful to hear the different methods people used. 

4 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Been doing this for years using one of my archived caches. I'm thinking there's about 50 images uploaded to it and have never had any problems.

• Upvote 1