Mary Hyde week 2

9 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Have the requirements for the week 2 souvenir been announced yet?

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Tony

We will announce the requirements early on Monday next week! They will also be available on the Friend League page once it refreshes on the 24th at noon UTC.

This it what was posted by an Event I visited.

Week 2: July 24-30, 2017

Find and log a geocache* = 5 gold coins.
Find and log a geocache with 10 or more Favorite points = 7 gold coins.
Attend and log an event cache = 7 gold coins.
Retrieve a trackable from a cache = 5 gold coins.
Drop a trackable into a cache = 10 gold coins.

*Excludes lab caches and web cam Caches.

4 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

This it what was posted by an Event I visited.

Week 2: July 24-30, 2017

Find and log a geocache* = 5 gold coins.
Find and log a geocache with 10 or more Favorite points = 7 gold coins.
Attend and log an event cache = 7 gold coins.
Retrieve a trackable from a cache = 5 gold coins.
Drop a trackable into a cache = 10 gold coins.

*Excludes lab caches and web cam Caches.

But what's the total requirement?

From the previous week my total "league" points was 1285/30 and I assume it will increase before Wednesday...

2 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

So, if I do some maintenance on one of my caches, drop my personal trackable into it and then immediately retrieve it, I get 10 points?  Some folk will get this souvenir without leaving home!

Yes, some folks will look for any loophole that can be exploited if if means more finds or more souvenirs.

I'm wondering how they're determining the minimum requirement. I mean, with all this in the system, surely they can tell the average, median, and various other stats, and decide what level would be 'easy', 'hard', and 'challenging'. Really, 10 points? In a week? I can't imagine anybody unable to achieve that. I can understand making it accessible for everybody, but that seems... strange.

I surely in perhaps the last week they'll provide a few tiers - keep an 'easy' that everyone can qualify for, but provide different levels to actually make a challenge for people who are 'earning' thousands of times more coins than required. There's no fun or point, really, in this unless all you care about is a digital souvenir that everyone gets. It's like a participation trophy. =/

IF they want to make a game out of it, then make it a game with actual goals to set out to achieve (knowing that the spectrum of ability is quite far and wide). But it really has more value if it's not something that everyone gets. Otherwise, don't do it all, since it'd be encouraging competition (not in a vs-way, but in a bragging-rights way; and moreso than say earning souvenirs for finding caches in certain countries)

So, my question about Week 2 is this:

... um, what's the point in having activities that are worth 7 points, if the goal is to earn 10 points?   If a player does something to earn 7 points, they still have to complete a second activity to pass the 10 point threshold.   Those 7 point activities could just as easily be 5 point activities with zero effect on the game.

My question is this:  The Mary Hyde FAQ states, "You can access last week’s Friend League through a link on the current page." However, I have not been able to find the link.  Also, it's not clear what page they mean by "current page."  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 minutes ago, cowgirl68 said:

My question is this:  The Mary Hyde FAQ states, "You can access last week’s Friend League through a link on the current page." However, I have not been able to find the link.  Also, it's not clear what page they mean by "current page."  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Current page"

Hit on 'Week of' upper left on the scroll, and you can select which week to look at.

• Upvote 1
On 7/24/2017 at 7:06 AM, thebruce0 said:

I'm wondering how they're determining the minimum requirement. I mean, with all this in the system, surely they can tell the average, median, and various other stats, and decide what level would be 'easy', 'hard', and 'challenging'. Really, 10 points? In a week? I can't imagine anybody unable to achieve that. I can understand making it accessible for everybody, but that seems... strange.

I surely in perhaps the last week they'll provide a few tiers - keep an 'easy' that everyone can qualify for, but provide different levels to actually make a challenge for people who are 'earning' thousands of times more coins than required. There's no fun or point, really, in this unless all you care about is a digital souvenir that everyone gets. It's like a participation trophy. =/

IF they want to make a game out of it, then make it a game with actual goals to set out to achieve (knowing that the spectrum of ability is quite far and wide). But it really has more value if it's not something that everyone gets. Otherwise, don't do it all, since it'd be encouraging competition (not in a vs-way, but in a bragging-rights way; and moreso than say earning souvenirs for finding caches in certain countries)

I think it's perfectly okay and appropriate for Groundspeak to make collecting these souvenirs easy enough for anyone to get.

It is a game, and making souvenirs less hard to get doesn't make it any less of a game.  

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, SeattleWayne said:

I think it's perfectly okay and appropriate for Groundspeak to make collecting these souvenirs easy enough for anyone to get.

It is a game, and making souvenirs less hard to get doesn't make it any less of a game.  

As do I. That's why I like the idea of tiers... I'm not so much a fan of everybody gets [every] trophy.  The 10 point souvenir could be the 'participation medal', sure. But why not provide, since 'it's a game', actual challenges for tasks so you can earn something better? If that's the route they're going, then that would be more in line than just giving everybody a souvenir for doing absolute minimum geocaching activities, and that's all there is to it :P

Give us a challenge. And sure, give something that everyone can earn as well.

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

As do I. That's why I like the idea of tiers... I'm not so much a fan of everybody gets [every] trophy.  The 10 point souvenir could be the 'participation medal', sure. But why not provide, since 'it's a game', actual challenges for tasks so you can earn something better? If that's the route they're going, then that would be more in line than just giving everybody a souvenir for doing absolute minimum geocaching activities, and that's all there is to it :P

Give us a challenge. And sure, give something that everyone can earn as well.

Did you forget about Geocaching Roadtrip of 2015? 

1 hour ago, SeattleWayne said:

Did you forget about Geocaching Roadtrip of 2015? 

I can't remember the exact details of the 2015 roadtrip, but I seem to recall that in most previous years, at least as long as I've been caching, the challenges have encouraged users to try something different. In 2014, for example. I attended my first event, having previously avoided them as I was worried (incorrectly) that they would be too cliquey and I wouldn't be welcome. Other souvenirs have probably got people to try a mystery or multi for the first time. The idea of this year's challenge appears to be about increasing your friend list, which is why I can't see the point of this week's souvenir at all.

Anyway, I've set myself a personal challenge. Last week I got 95 "coins" - if I don't get 100 this week I'll hide the souvenir when I get it.

3 hours ago, Optimist on the run said:

I can't remember the exact details of the 2015 roadtrip, but I seem to recall that in most previous years, at least as long as I've been caching, the challenges have encouraged users to try something different. In 2014, for example. I attended my first event, having previously avoided them as I was worried (incorrectly) that they would be too cliquey and I wouldn't be welcome. Other souvenirs have probably got people to try a mystery or multi for the first time. The idea of this year's challenge appears to be about increasing your friend list, which is why I can't see the point of this week's souvenir at all.

Anyway, I've set myself a personal challenge. Last week I got 95 "coins" - if I don't get 100 this week I'll hide the souvenir when I get it.

I agree this week's seems odd.   The task doesn't need to be difficult, but generally it is more specific than just "find 2 caches".     Perhaps the comment about 2015 relates to one of those you needed a D5 or T5 cache.

As others have speculated, it is almost like something didn't go to plan.    Perhaps the idea for this week was to promote trackables, and the original idea was the only way to get goins was to move trackables?   Then someone decided they couldn't do that, so they added "or find 2 caches"?  

4 hours ago, redsox_mark said:

I agree this week's seems odd.   The task doesn't need to be difficult, but generally it is more specific than just "find 2 caches".     Perhaps the comment about 2015 relates to one of those you needed a D5 or T5 cache.

As others have speculated, it is almost like something didn't go to plan.    Perhaps the idea for this week was to promote trackables, and the original idea was the only way to get goins was to move trackables?   Then someone decided they couldn't do that, so they added "or find 2 caches"?  

Maybe. And that's perfectly fine. Not everyone is going to be able to find a TB to move it along. 

It's obvious that some view souvenirs as an accomplish. I view them as a fun addition to geocaching to help spark interest. And yes, I was referring to the D5/T5 task. B)

7 hours ago, redsox_mark said:

Perhaps the idea for this week was to promote trackables, and the original idea was the only way to get goins was to move trackables?   Then someone decided they couldn't do that, so they added "or find 2 caches"?  

Maybe they realized there are very few trackables still out there in the wild, at least in some areas.   I did a search for caches near home,  then looked at the pages of caches showing trackables.  I went through around 30 pages before I gave up.  There were few caches that showed anything in inventory,  and almost all of those trackables hadn't been seen in 2 years or more.

I'm considering releasing a "homemade" travel bug for one of mine that has gone missing years ago.  If it doesn't move because players don't recognize it, o well.  If it disappears... no, when it disappears, no worse off then it is now.

10 minutes ago, dixiedawn said:

Maybe they realized there are very few trackables still out there in the wild, at least in some areas.   I did a search for caches near home,  then looked at the pages of caches showing trackables.  I went through around 30 pages before I gave up.  There were few caches that showed anything in inventory,  and almost all of those trackables hadn't been seen in 2 years or more.

I'm considering releasing a "homemade" travel bug for one of mine that has gone missing years ago.  If it doesn't move because players don't recognize it, o well.  If it disappears... no, when it disappears, no worse off then it is now.

I think they would have made this realization long before they started publishing the blog for the Mary Hyde adventure. The overall goal is to recognize TB's this week, and knowing full well that there are very limited TBs left, it might also be a promotion for some to go out and buy TBs. In addition to all of this, finding two caches might be given as an alternative.