Symbol Assignments on Oregon 650T?

Have an Oregon 650T and a tricky little situation.  I have a database in GSAK with all my placed geocaches in it.  I also have waypoints for all my stages and related spots.  I used the GarminExport.gsk macro to push them to my 650T as a GPX file and it works fine.  Issue is that all my placed geocaches show up as your standard geocaching symbols.  I then load local caches in as a different GPX file but there is no difference between my placed caches and the ones I just loaded.  Can't find a way to export my caches from GSAK to the 650T with different symbols.   

So played some games and nothing seemed to work.  Set up a GPS direct load with colored diamonds for all my caches but didn't finish it as would cut down the descriptions and all, want to use what the macro exports.  Then I did an export with GSAK to a GPX file on the 650T.  Opened the GPX file with MapSource and all the symbols showed up as the colored diamonds.  Great!   Then disconnected the 650T and looked at the map.  ARG!  All the symbols were back to being standard geocache symbols.  So back to square one.  

Would like to be able to assign different symbols to my placed geocaches.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

With a geocaching.com gpx file, there's no good way to change the symbols. My advice would be to convert your placed geocaches into regular waypoints (maybe you already have the waypoints from your coordinate averaging when you hid the caches), which you can then customize a symbol. The other advantage to this is that your placed caches won't show up in your list of caches to find.

Edited by Mineral2

You also may go the way in uploading your placed caches as pois. That way your placed caches will have a specific icon.
Another approach ist to just "flag" your placed caches with Attribute Pois (like the Export Macro did with DNFs, micros, etc.).
Filter your placed caches. Have a semitransparent bmp for the flags. Export a Gpi file with that file. On your Garmin map you'll be seeing the regular cache icons with that flag poi.
Example:

Hafen_ToDo_Mikro_Favs.jpg?raw=1

The grey line is an attribute poi (the film can icon and the favo icon are attribute pois as well).

Hans

Edited by HHL
added img tags

Another option would be to load each database into GSAK (or similar database software, see Software page here.) and change the symbol name for each group of waypoints/geocaches as desired, then export them to your Oregon GPSr.

Now, if you would like to have special/custom waypoint symbols for each group, see the Oregon 6x0 wiki > Uber User > Custom Symbols for more information on how to make that happen.

1 minute ago, Atlas Cached said:

Another option would be to load each database into GSAK (or similar database software, see Software page here.) and change the symbol name for each group of waypoints/geocaches as desired, then export them to your Oregon GPSr.

Now, if you would like to have special/custom waypoint symbols for each group, see the Oregon 6x0 wiki > Uber User > Custom Symbols for more information on how to make that happen.

Actually you can only replace custom symbols for an entire group of Geocache Types. Changing the Gpx' symbol name is only an option for waypoints - not for Geocaches.

Okay, old school MAP60CSx user trying to figure out to get the 650T to work similar to the old GPSr so please excuse the newbie comments.   Don't really care about "custom" symbols, just not geocache symbols.  In the MAP60CSx I always used the railroad crossing symbol for my caches.  

As far as uploading all my caches as POI's...  With GSAK and the macro?  How would one go about converting all my caches to POI's?  I can do that easily with MapSource but I loose the long cache names, the descriptions, the hints, and the logs.

You don't want to convert all caches to POIs, just the ones you placed. The difference between your old MAP60csx and your Oregon is that the Oregon can read GPX files natively. That's a good thing. Previously, caches were loaded onto your MAP60csx as waypoints (or POIs, but likely as waypoints). I see you have quite a bit of hides, so you're not looking to manually create waypoints for each of your caches. 

I think the best way to go about this is to run your PQ for your hides with the output set to LOC, import the LOC file into Basecamp (or Mapsource, basecamp would be better in this case) and then transfer the waypoints to your GPS. Basecamp will create a folder with your cache coordinates, which you can then continue to use and manage. Basecamp will let you set the symbol in bulk.

For your multis, I don't think you'll get child waypoints with a LOC file, so you may have to run it again with a GPX output to get the waypoints file. But you'll only get child waypoints if they are visible. These you might need to create by hand, unless GSAK has some magic here. 

And if you have any of these coordinates on your old MAP60csx, you can transfer them to your computer and then to your Oregon using Basecamp (or Mapsource).