Lab Cache Explanation

chaosinmotion

Hello, I'm relatively new to geocaching. I see "Lab" caches as a type, but cannot find a basic explanation of what it is or how it works. It's not in the glossary of terms and when I do a search I get quite a few posts about how they are not "counted" in total finds, which still doesn't explain what it is. Also, when I search for cache types, it's not an option. I was hoping to see one on a map so I could read about it and figure out what it is and how it works, but no luck. So, can someone just explain it to me?  Sorry if this is a redundant post, but I did search and couldn't find the very basics on what this is. Thank you!

Lab caches are usually found at Mega Events, but sometimes they are available for community or other special events.  It's not always easy to find out when they are available.  The main Lab Caches page seemed to NOT be updated regularly. For example, the lab caches for the Going APE Mega event are still loggable, but are not listed on the main page.

For cachers living or visiting the Seattle area, there are some lab caches available for an extended duration. They can be found on that main Lab Caches page.