Release Notes (Geocaching Forums)- July 17, 2017

Check if you have compatibility mode toggled on in IE.  That can do some odd things to pages. If it's on, turn it off. It's off, turn it on. Try things.

To check IE compatibility/emulation settings

1. Press F12 for developer tools
  2. On the left bar, locate the monitor icon (should be bottom of the list) and click
  3. Look for Document Mode dropdown and if it's not on Edge, set it to Edge.  (Browser profile should also be Desktop)

The emulator mode is also available quickly next to the "Find Ctrl+F" box in the header of the Developer Tools window.

That should make the forum display properly. I tried loading the forum for the first time on IE11 and it defaulted to Edge appearing fine, so something may have switched your view to and older IE emulation.

Did that solve your issue?

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, steben6 said:

The main page of the forums (on IE) looks completely different.  Here is the top of it (on my IE)

I get the exact same thing IF I have the site viewed in Compatibility mode.  If I toggle it off Compatibility mode, it comes up just fine.  Click the gear in the top right corner of your IE screen, click Compatibility View settings, and remove geocaching.com from the list.  The screen should refresh when you click "Remove" and all should be well. 

Edit:  Just saw someone else posted the same answer....I didn't read all the replies before I answered this one.  ^_^

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Check if you have compatibility mode toggled on in IE.  That can do some odd things to pages. If it's on, turn it off. It's off, turn it on. Try things.

To check IE compatibility/emulation settings

1. Press F12 for developer tools
  2. On the left bar, locate the monitor icon (should be bottom of the list) and click
  3. Look for Document Mode dropdown and if it's not on Edge, set it to Edge.  (Browser profile should also be Desktop)

The emulator mode is also available quickly next to the "Find Ctrl+F" box in the header of the Developer Tools window.

That should make the forum display properly. I tried loading the forum for the first time on IE11 and it defaulted to Edge appearing fine, so something may have switched your view to and older IE emulation.

Did that solve your issue?

The compatibility mode correction totally worked!  Thank you so, so much! (I don't understand any of it, but I don't care, because it worked!) :)

3 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I get the exact same thing IF I have the site viewed in Compatibility mode.  If I toggle it off Compatibility mode, it comes up just fine.  Click the gear in the top right corner of your IE screen, click Compatibility View settings, and remove geocaching.com from the list.  The screen should refresh when you click "Remove" and all should be well. 

Edit:  Just saw someone else posted the same answer....I didn't read all the replies before I answered this one.  ^_^

Thank you so, so much!  It worked! :)

21 minutes ago, steben6 said:

The compatibility mode correction totally worked!  Thank you so, so much! (I don't understand any of it, but I don't care, because it worked!) :)

21 minutes ago, steben6 said:

Thank you so, so much!  It worked! :)

It's nice when it's this easy!

The Forum is using at least three different day formats.

Make a post on Monday, July 17, 2017, for example. In a couple of days, the post says “Posted Monday”. Reply to the post, and the reply is “On 7/17/2017”. In a couple more days, the original post will say “Posted on July 17”. 

In the example, the two items circled in red should be identical, when both refer to the same day.  Either they both must say "Monday", or both say "7/17/2017", not one of each.  Note that there is also something weird going on with the leading "0" for the time.

To research a reply referenced by something like “7/17/2017”, you need to look for a previous post with the word “Monday” or even “July 17”.

Untitled-3.jpg

Edited by kunarion
Adding an image before submission wipes out everything I typed. So I submitted it first.
6 hours ago, dprovan said:

It was amusing to see all the off topic junk for a day or so, but now I'm wishing I didn't know about it again. Can anyone tell me how to go back to it not showing up as unread content?

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I posted in another thread how I decided to created a custom stream to replicate the old format's "Unread Content" option.

I was also seeing all the "Off Topic" updates in that custom stream, so I decided to further customize my custom stream.  I selected "Content posted in areas I follow" in the 'Following' drop-down menu, then I went to most forums and selected 'Follow' at the upper right.  There are some forums where I'm not interested in seeing the new content.

Note that, when choosing to 'Follow' a forum, a pop-up box gives options for notifications and the default is to notify.

I wasn't able to find a way to have the Off-Topic forum not show up in the standard 'Unread Content' stream, besides losing PM status.

Ugh! I wanted to complain that there's too much whitespace. But actually I can't as it's not too bad. Well done :)

I had some problems logging in: the website and forum should be the same password, right? I could not log into the forum and was blocked out until I requested a password reset, and changed it to... well.. what it should have been all along and what also works on the geocaching website. Now I can log in again, obviously. Odd one, this.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:21 AM, Keystone said:

I encourage everyone to start giving reputation points when they see someone giving a helpful answer, or clearly explaining a bug, or describing a new feature idea.

Is there a way to see who "upvoted" posts? Other forums I participate in give you the ability to see who "liked" or marked your contributions but I can't find that here.

The "Profile" part of the site seems to be going through some updates to match it to the new Forum.  So I expect it will be fixed at some point.  Just FYI.

I'm seeing a weird effect when changing my Forum Avatar.  I first noticed it when I was trying to change to an up-scaled image.  My old Avatar was slightly smaller than the site's new "Profile Page Avatar" size, so when the site expanded the old one, JPG artifacts were amplified.  Whatever.  I was changing it. 

I selected a new image, and uploaded it, on what looks like the usual web site Profile page (The Forum seems to also have a place to upload an Avatar, but that's not the one I used). And I noticed that the old Avatar image seemed to be way too persistent.  So I uploaded a completely different one as a test, got it "stuck" and then uploaded the new one that I want.  Now I have a pretty persistent "old" avatar on my Profile page, yet the correct new one throughout the rest of Geocaching.com. I get it to happen mainly when clicking "Profile" from within the Forum, at which point the Profile page looks like the screenshot below.

I have not tested whether or not other users see the same thing, and I don't know, maybe it takes a few minutes to propagate to the Profile.  But at least when changing one's Avatar, the user may see the "unwanted" avatar instead, for a time, yet the new one seems to have saved. There's a dichotomy.  Close the browser, log out/in, no help.  In the example photo, the thumbnail (round Avatar in the upper right corner) is the currently saved, active Avatar that I selected.

[EDIT]: After I posted this, now the Avatar seems OK throughout the site.  I'm guessing the image might take a short while to become "updated" everywhere. Ten minutes maybe?

webdiff2.jpg

Edited by kunarion
Update! It changed again.

Ok, there are two problems with the forum: I constantly get asked whether I'd like to receive notifications, in every forum I go and every thread I open up. I have no idea what kind of notifications, but I'd rather not. Thank you.

And I always get logged out again and need to log in again every day.

4 hours ago, terratin said:

Ok, there are two problems with the forum: I constantly get asked whether I'd like to receive notifications, in every forum I go and every thread I open up. I have no idea what kind of notifications, but I'd rather not. Thank you.

And I always get logged out again and need to log in again every day.

Odd.  What browser/OS are you using?

On 7/18/2017 at 2:18 PM, niraD said:
On 7/18/2017 at 1:44 PM, TriciaG said:

Multiple quote: Click on the plus sign on one of the posts to quote. A little thing will pop up saying "Quote 1 post". Go to the next post you want to quote, and click the plus sign again. It changes to "Quote 2 posts". When you're done selecting all the posts you want to quote, click the "Quote X posts" and it'll paste 'em all into your reply box.

What I miss is the ability to quote both the message I'm replying to, and the message(s) quoted by that message.

TA-DA!

Here's now to do it:

1. Select all the text you want to quote, both the original quote and the reply.
  2. Hover over the selected text.
  3. A black pop-up appears with the text "Quote this". Click on it.

That's all there is to it. It isn't very discoverable, but it works.

And if you want to quote a number of comments...

I'll admit that

...and reply to them one by one...

the old system

...then the same technique can be used...

And it's fine with me

...to quote each point as you go along. This eliminates the need to copy-paste the entire quoted message, deleting all but the point you're replying to each time, which is the way I had done it before.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:
29 minutes ago, niraD said:

TA-DA!

Here's now to do it:

<snip>

Boo hiss ☹️

The forums now return to 100 line quotes with an added "+1" or "This" follow-up.

I think it's a little too complicated for it to be used very often. Those long pointless quotes were because of laziness, not some unquenchable yearning for wholesale quoting. But thanks to niraD's amazing detective work, now I know how to do it when I need it.

2 minutes ago, dprovan said:
17 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

The forums now return to 100 line quotes with an added "+1" or "This" follow-up.

I think it's a little too complicated for it to be used very often. Those long pointless quotes were because of laziness, not some unquenchable yearning for wholesale quoting.

My thoughts exactly. It's too cumbersome for people to use it needlessly. But when a little more context is needed, or when a point-by-point reply is appropriate, it is still possible to quote properly.

2 hours ago, niraD said:
2 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I've just discovered that you can no longer enter emojis.

Shame.

Yeah, apparently you have to use the emoji widget in the toolbar. :(

:mmraspberry: And if you click on Categories/Emoticons, you get the Signal ones to show, too.

Edited by TriciaG
16 minutes ago, terratin said:

Hmm... is there no more possibility to go to the first unread  message? I briefly noticed this yesterday I think. Safari certainly had me select the right page and then scroll down just now.

It is possible, by clicking on the blue dot to the left of the topic title.  If you are want to create something similar to the old forum format's "New Content" feature, then you could set up a custom stream.  I detailed the steps for doing that in Another Thread and to exclude Off-Topic from that custom stream by adding another step.

13 hours ago, TriciaG said:

Terratin - Perhaps this is your problem: go down past the first "save" button. There's more below that. (It caught me by surprise!)

Great. I've switched everything off now. Lets hope this helps. The annoying popup still shows up thought and makes this forum nearly unusable.

32 minutes ago, terratin said:

Great. I've switched everything off now. Lets hope this helps. The annoying popup still shows up thought and makes this forum nearly unusable.

What pop-up are you getting? What screen are you on and what are you clicking that you see a pop-up? Can you post a screen shot of the page you are on, what you click and the pop-up you see.

Every (?) notification, if that is what you mean by a pop-up, can be disabled if you go to https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/notifications/options/ and turn off everything at the top and scroll down and turn off everything in the bottom half. 

4 hours ago, noncentric said:

It is possible, by clicking on the blue dot to the left of the topic title.  If you are want to create something similar to the old forum format's "New Content" feature, then you could set up a custom stream.  I detailed the steps for doing that in Another Thread and to exclude Off-Topic from that custom stream by adding another step.

First, I tried niraD's suggestion to copy all the text in the response and then hover over it to get a "quote this"  button.  I can select all the text but hovering over the selected text doesn't bring up the "quote this" dialog.  I'm running a recent version of Chrome.

While reading a thread I've found that there is also "Read next unread topic" at the bottom that takes you to the next topic *and* to the first unread message in the topic.

On another forum site I frequently use there is a "take me back to the top" icon at the bottom of each post.  I'd use that a lot as after reading the last unread post in a topic I often want to choose which topic I read next, not necessarily the next topic with unread messages.

11 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

First, I tried niraD's suggestion to copy all the text in the response and then hover over it to get a "quote this"  button.  I can select all the text but hovering over the selected text doesn't bring up the "quote this" dialog.  I'm running a recent version of Chrome.

Worked for me (I used it to quote the above). Firefox on Linux.

There's a bug in the user content search.

Hover over a user's avatar and click "Find Content" on the popup that appears.

You now see a first page of the search with the user's forum posts.

Then click on any of the page numbers for subsequent pages, or "next", or "last" and you're taken to that user's profile page, not the requested page of the search content.

Same happens if doing the search via the "View Forum Posts" link on the profile.

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

While reading a thread I've found that there is also "Read next unread topic" at the bottom that takes you to the next topic *and* to the first unread message in the topic.Yes, I've discovered this as well - very good way to get through the newest posts in a category/topic.

On another forum site I frequently use there is a "take me back to the top" icon at the bottom of each post.  I'd use that a lot as after reading the last unread post in a topic I often want to choose which topic I read next, not necessarily the next topic with unread messages.  At the very bottom of the page is the same forum hierarchy menu as at the top, ie Home > Geocaching HQ Communications > Release Notes > ...  so one less click if you are already at the bottom of the unread posts.  No Need to scroll to the top.

3 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

What pop-up are you getting? What screen are you on and what are you clicking that you see a pop-up? Can you post a screen shot of the page you are on, what you click and the pop-up you see.

Every (?) notification, if that is what you mean by a pop-up, can be disabled if you go to https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/notifications/options/ and turn off everything at the top and scroll down and turn off everything in the bottom half. 

Firefox gives me a popup for every forum action asking me to subscribe to notifications. I can only chose 'yes' and 'not now'. Not now means the same message pops up next time again. Maybe I should chose 'yes' and I might not get any if notification inside the forum settings are switched off. Hmm..

36 minutes ago, terratin said:

Firefox gives me a popup for every forum action asking me to subscribe to notifications. I can only chose 'yes' and 'not now'. Not now means the same message pops up next time again. Maybe I should chose 'yes' and I might not get any if notification inside the forum settings are switched off. Hmm..

You can turn off notifications in Firefox by site.  This is from https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/997362:

"You can reset this to the default (or outright disallow it) on a per-site basis by right-clicking somewhere in a blank spot of the site (or pressing Ctrl-I on Windows or Cmd-I on Mac) and then selecting "View Page Info" from the opening menu. This opens a window with a "Permissions" tab. I that, scroll down to the very bottom until you see "Show Notifications" as the third-to-last entry. Either reset that to the default, or just select "Block".

G

55 minutes ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

You can turn off notifications in Firefox by site.  This is from https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/997362:

"You can reset this to the default (or outright disallow it) on a per-site basis by right-clicking somewhere in a blank spot of the site (or pressing Ctrl-I on Windows or Cmd-I on Mac) and then selecting "View Page Info" from the opening menu. This opens a window with a "Permissions" tab. I that, scroll down to the very bottom until you see "Show Notifications" as the third-to-last entry. Either reset that to the default, or just select "Block".

Great, that was the solution I was looking for. I could not figure out how to do this from the general firefox options.

12 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've used it on a recent version of Chrome (MacOS and Windows) as well as an unsupported version of Chrome (old MacOS). And I just used it again.

I've realized that it isn't related to hovering though. After I select the text, the "Quote this" button appears wherever the pointer is, but moving the pointer doesn't close or move the button.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, niraD said:
23 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've used it on a recent version of Chrome (MacOS and Windows) as well as an unsupported version of Chrome (old MacOS). And I just used it again.

I've realized that it isn't related to hovering though. After I select the text, the "Quote this" button appears wherever the pointer is, but moving the pointer doesn't close or move the button.

Okay, now I see it (as you can tell from the quoting in this post).  Thanks.

On 7/22/2017 at 5:00 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

On 7/22/2017 at 0:40 AM, noncentric said:

While reading a thread I've found that there is also "Read next unread topic" at the bottom that takes you to the next topic *and* to the first unread message in the topic.

On another forum site I frequently use there is a "take me back to the top" icon at the bottom of each post.  I'd use that a lot as after reading the last unread post in a topic I often want to choose which topic I read next, not necessarily the next topic with unread messages.

I used niraD's method of highlighting and clicking "Quote this" to create the nested quotes above.  I'm using Firefox.  Haven't tried it in Chrome.

Yes, I've seen the "Next Unread Topic" option at the bottom of the page.  That works for someone that wants to go to whatever the next topic is.  Personally, I like going back to the list of topics and choosing which one I read next.  For me, my custom stream name (New Stuff) is at the bottom-right of the page, to the left of "Mark site read", and so I can click that to go back to the topic list - although I usually just hit the back button on my mouse instead.

Edited by noncentric
typo
On 7/17/2017 at 2:29 PM, Mineral2 said:

Ok. I've officially come across my first bit of frustration with the forums: Notifications.

When someone replies to a thread I am following, I get an email. I don't want an email. I don't want forum notifications clogging up my inbox. I'd rather that the notifications just show up in the notification list at the top of the page (the bell icon). However, that remains empty. The setting to change this, under notification settings, "someone comments on something I follow" is greyed out with the message "the administrator has disabled this option from being toggled." 

Please give us control over all of the notification options so that my notifications don't come via e-mail.

I just block them.  Ad-block also helps with obnoxious websites which try to throw pop-ups in my face.

Although the war continues, some websites are finding ways around ad-block.

Maybe I'll have to write my own lite browser, something which kills javascript, stylesheets, html5, etc. so I can actually read things rather than be pestered by whizzy things all the time.  

I'm hearing from friends that emailing through member pages is not being supported and the only way I can be contacted is through the message center.  I think that's a real hoot - you have an email to tell you have a message.  Paging the Department of Redundancy Department.

2 hours ago, DragonsWest said:

I'm hearing from friends that emailing through member pages is not being supported and the only way I can be contacted is through the message center.

That's old news. IIRC, at one point, the new profile page was going to have only a link for the MC, and not for email. But they changed their mind in response to member feedback:

9 hours ago, niraD said:

That's old news. IIRC, at one point, the new profile page was going to have only a link for the MC, and not for email. But they changed their mind in response to member feedback:

Sounds good.  I generally have no idea I have messages unless I check in to find/log caches and see the orange bubble.  Receiving email in my email account is good as I will see it and respond.  Things which appear in the message center I may not see for weeks.

Am I the only one who is desperately missing the "memory" of the old forum?

It was possible to enter a rarely read subforum and still locate the unread threads and even jump to new postings on old threads.

Currently this new forum seems to only having a memory of 7 days witch is much to short. If eternal is not an option please set it to at least 6 months.

• Upvote 1

I miss post numbers. They used to be displayed in the top right corner. I used it for visual navigation - sometimes when on the first unread message I thought: "What was actually the original post about?" - so I remembered the current message number, went to read the first one and then quickly got back.

Now it's sort of blind.

Seems there's a bug with posts by ignored users.

While typing a reply a notification comes up that xxx replied in that thread, after hitting "submit reply" the thread is shown including my reply but the reply by xxx (on ignore list) is also shown.

Refreshing the page all is normal again and the post by the ignored user is no longer shown.

Using latest FF (54.0.1) for Windows.

Edited by on4bam
added browser info
On 7/18/2017 at 1:05 PM, hzoi said:

There seems to be a disconnect between the new forum interface and the profile view.

When I go to my profile to view all my posts, it loads the first page of my forum posts.  When I click to advance to page 2 of my posts, it thinks for a while, then loads my default public profile view again with all my stats and maps and such.

This is happening with both the new profile experience and the old profile view.

This has also been mentioned by MartyBartfast. Illustration below. Note the pull down widget where you enter a page number also goes to Geocaching.com public profile

IK forum content.jpg

Also, there are links in the left side nav bar, all of which ALSO go to the Geocaching.com profile.

Edited by palmetto
On 7/28/2017 at 2:50 AM, Pontiac_CZ said:

I miss post numbers. They used to be displayed in the top right corner. I used it for visual navigation - sometimes when on the first unread message I thought: "What was actually the original post about?" - so I remembered the current message number, went to read the first one and then quickly got back.

Now it's sort of blind.

I hadn't noticed they were missing but it was a feature I used occasionally.  It was often useful to reference a specific post in a long  thread when either the context got lost or it was one that answered a question. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:
On 7/28/2017 at 2:50 AM, Pontiac_CZ said:

Now it's sort of blind.

I hadn't noticed they were missing but it was a feature I used occasionally.  It was often useful to reference a specific post in a long  thread when either the context got lost or it was one that answered a question. 

I concur; I've participated in quite a few forums over the eons--many that used the same/similar software.  Message/post numbers can really enhance forum utility.  I'd be surprised if a software update (vs. a different pkg. entirely--I don't really know which this is) didn't have that feature, though mayhaps it's "turned off"?

Two special character issues now:

1) From these forums, you can't get to the profile of  users with a special character in Username, you get a 500 or 404 server error. Sees post on page 1, (no post number,  comment 5666431 )  by Toba78&Mapulu

2) Also, from Geocaching.com you cannot see See the Forum Posts for this User, if username has particular special characters, ampersand for sure.  You're just cycled back to Profile. Below, link to Vinny & Sue Team on Geocaching.com

You can't get to their posts from their profile.  However, below that user <"((((<(    - you CAN get to his posts from his profile, but NOT from the forums to his profile-  throws a 404 error. 

Vinny & Sue Team

<"((((<(

Thread by <"((((<(   https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/244474

39 minutes ago, palmetto said:

Two special character issues now:

The "&" is a reserved URL character.  It needs to be properly escaped when used in a username in a URL.  However, I've tried various combinations of escapes with the spaces and ampersand in Vinny & Sue Team (%20 or + or - in place of space, and %26 or &amp; in place of "&") and haven't got it work either.