Mary Hyde crew

Hak_i

Building a huge Friend League of random people doesn't really do anything useful anyway. To get the Souvenir, each person needs to contribute at least 5 points. If everyone contributes only 5 points, then you need only half a dozen active members of your Friend League to earn the first week's Souvenir.

Building a huge Friend League of random people doesn't really do anything useful anyway. To get the Souvenir, each person needs to contribute at least 5 points. If everyone contributes only 5 points, then you need only half a dozen active members of your Friend League to earn the first week's Souvenir.

Agree, at least at this stage it's not necessary to have a huge list of people as 6 finds (or 3 if they all have >10 favourite points) will get you the souvenir so would be easy to do on your own.

I've never been a big fan of the friends thing, and recently cleared them all out, just got a couple now and I'll be ignoring pleas to add people I don't know.

Edited by MartyBartfast

I agree.

I'm probably one of the few people who like the Friends feature and the option in the new dashboard to see my friends logs. There are especially some friends who I know have similar tastes in caches, I enjoy seeing what they are finding, as I may want to look for those myself. I have other friends who live in different countries, but I like to keep in touch, and if I see they did some interesting caching I may ask them about it. I think that is the kind of thing Groundspeak is trying to encourage.

Of course, natural reaction is many are taking this as a competition to get as many friends as they can. Which makes the feature less useful; harder to see what your "real" friends are doing if you have logs from hundreds of random cachers in your "feed".

A really nice idea by Groundspeak I think. But yes, adding too many people defeats the real purpose. (But gives your crew a high score).

On 7/13/2017 at 3:05 AM, redsox_mark said:

A really nice idea by Groundspeak I think. But yes, adding too many people defeats the real purpose. (But gives your crew a high score).

I suspect that's true.   But since Groundspeak hasn't told us how scoring works in weeks 2-4, there's no way to know for sure.

So, yeah, I'm one of those guys adding dozens of friends right now that I'll probably just end up deleting a month from now, after I've gotten the souvenirs.   It's silly, sure.  

(On the other hand, I've got a daily streak approaching 5.5 years right now, so "silly" is a pretty mild word for the way I approach this game ...)