Found it or not?

fractal

Ok... I have a choice to make.

Recently, Waynepdx attempted my Tree Hugger cache. Go to the cache page and read his story.

Here's the problem...

I state on the cache page that in order to log it as a find, you have to sign the logbook.

Well.. I think he made a good try at it, but I'm afraid that if I let him log it as a find, I'll have to go easy on others who attempt this one as well...

I've already made up my mind, and I'll let him know in a few days.

What do you folks think?

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

I'd read his post before I found your poll. I've always been in the "no logbook entry, no find" camp, however there are always exceptions to the rule.

From his post, it's obvious he made the climb and managed to even move the cache. We can hardly fault the man for his fear of heights. We're all afraid of something, eh Ben icon_wink.gif

If lack of the signed logbook is the only thing preventing him from keeping the smiley face log, I volunteer to meet him there, bring the logbook down to him so he can sign it and replace it again icon_smile.gif

-

I'd read his post before I found your poll. I've always been in the "no logbook entry, no find" camp, however there are always exceptions to the rule.

From his post, it's obvious he made the climb and managed to even move the cache. We can hardly fault the man for his fear of heights. We're all afraid of something, eh Ben icon_wink.gif

If lack of the signed logbook is the only thing preventing him from keeping the smiley face log, I volunteer to meet him there, bring the logbook down to him so he can sign it and replace it again icon_smile.gif

-

Even though he didn't get the cache open and sign the log book, he did manage to find the cache and get close enough to touch it. Again, as makaio said, I feel that to log a cache you should sign the logbook, but there are certainly exceptions. He went through the hardest part, finding and getting to the cache but couldn't sign it.

I can't say that I blame him. I probably wouldn't have even had the guts to climb the tree.

-Gloom

King Tut's Tomb requires climbing, and I am afraid of heights. But I managed to muster up the guts to get up there...after all, I'd gone that far to get it, and I really wanted to get it....so I did it. If the rules said you must sign the log book...well you must sign the log book. That's the way I look at it. But then again, I'm one of those nuts who sees everything in black and white, with very little grey areas.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I suppose it all boils down to who really cares if it's called a find or not. This isn't a competition and the find count means nothing except to the finders themselves. He could just as easily have posted "Found it" and left it at that and nobody would have been the wiser. Instead he was honest about his venture and provided us (me anyway) with an enjoyable log post icon_smile.gif

I'm gonna wait for the cache to get back near the top and go log it again icon_smile.gif

-

I suppose it all boils down to who really cares if it's called a find or not. This isn't a competition and the find count means nothing except to the finders themselves. He could just as easily have posted "Found it" and left it at that and nobody would have been the wiser. Instead he was honest about his venture and provided us (me anyway) with an enjoyable log post icon_smile.gif

I'm gonna wait for the cache to get back near the top and go log it again icon_smile.gif

-

Normally i'd say it would be a find, but the cache description is pretty clear for Tree Hugger. Although it's a great story (and kinda funny in a sadistic sorta way), i'd say no find.

I've had to retrieve log books for people that got scared halfway up at other caches, though, so i'm all for the climbing up there and bringing down the log book for him to sign idea.

And then there's always robots, but that's pretty much been my answer for everything lately.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

I know how he feels though. I scampered up that bad boy like a squirrel after a nut. Then the wind started blowing. Then I looked down. I feel for the guy but rules is rules. icon_wink.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I know how he feels though. I scampered up that bad boy like a squirrel after a nut. Then the wind started blowing. Then I looked down. I feel for the guy but rules is rules. icon_wink.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Well it is easy for me to say give him the find since he did climb the tree and get to the cache. What if he had pulled out the log and found the pencil broken or the pen dried up? No big deal. But you are the cache master and get to make the rules so if you say no - thats okay too!

Recently at the search, team barley mill didn't sign one of the logs at the event. And we did not get credit for it. You didn't have to if there were point cards in there, but they were all gone. To hold true to the game..no log, no find. pdx, if you did it once a second time should be a piece of cake. icon_wink.gif If I were the cache owner, I would let pdx make the call. If he is cheating, he is only cheating himself.

-slinger

Recently at the search, team barley mill didn't sign one of the logs at the event. And we did not get credit for it. You didn't have to if there were point cards in there, but they were all gone. To hold true to the game..no log, no find. pdx, if you did it once a second time should be a piece of cake. icon_wink.gif If I were the cache owner, I would let pdx make the call. If he is cheating, he is only cheating himself.

-slinger

The cache page says it all.

"Please use your best judgement before attempting this cache. If at any point you feel like you can not reach it, then stop. I don't want anyone getting hurt!"

"Note: Please only log this as a find if you actually get to the cache and sign the logbook. If you get there and decide to not climb the tree, please log it as either a 'not found' or 'note'. Thanks for understanding..."

Sorry my vote is no.

Bob G.

Yesterday when I read this post, I was thinking go ahead and give it to him. This morning, after climbing up the tree myself, I'm happy that only Fractal can make this choice. Part of me says no way - rules are rules, but part of me knows what it's like to be at a point where you are so close, yet so far.

Anyway, snapped a picture of myself, and marked the log, and moved it up a few inches.

Part of me says it's not a competition, so if he says he found it, he found it. The other part of me says it's not a competition, so who cares if you get to log a find? So using my wishy-washy logic, he found it (which is more than I've done), but he didn't fulfill the rules of the cache. No Find.

He kept going way longer than I if I was in the same situation he was during a hunt he was on for one of our caches. He went through hell. Here is the address.....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=17818

Read it through. Its very comical. Sorry Mr. PDX but it was to hard to NOT pass this on......

I didn't vote and I would normaly say no, but I DID have a little BOOST to a cache up north and I will never forget it. (You know who you are)

Have a good day folks....

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

12 caches in 12 hours.

The whole discussion is moot now. I went back with my fiances dad and redid this. He followed me up the tree so I wouldnt be such a whimp and chicken out. I signed the log for both of us. So I met the requirement of the cache.

I wish I hadnt done it because I started to lose my balance and sat on a branch pushing my gps out of my back pocket. It fell and broke. Since I cant afford a new one I will be retiring from caching for a long time until I can afford to buy a new one.

Thanks to everyone in this forum for their response (in my favor of course). But I thought about it and felt that if I wanted to claim it as a find then I would have to meet the requirements that fractal set out.

waynepdx

If Geocaching or this cache is some sort of competition then NO. (I'm not what the competition is if there is one.)

If Geocaching is a fun activity trying to find a cache for the fun of finding it then YES.

Does somebodies "cache count" increased or not by 1 matter much? If it matters then NO. (I can't see any earthly reason it should matter to anyone but the cacher.)

Byron

I hate to see a geocacher go out this way. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Waynepdx:

The whole discussion is moot now. I went back with my fiances dad and redid this. He followed me up the tree so I wouldnt be such a whimp and chicken out. I signed the log for both of us. So I met the requirement of the cache.

I wish I hadnt done it because I started to lose my balance and sat on a branch pushing my gps out of my back pocket. It fell and broke. Since I cant afford a new one I will be retiring from caching for a long time until I can afford to buy a new one.

Thanks to everyone in this forum for their response (in my favor of course). But I thought about it and felt that if I wanted to claim it as a find then I would have to meet the requirements that fractal set out.

waynepdx

12 caches in 12 hours.

quote:

waynepdx

12 caches in 12 hours.

I didn't mean for you to go back up there and break your GPS in the process!

I was going to give you the find since it was an interestig story. I know it's not really a competition or anything, but the finds are important to some folks.

I hope you didn't mind me bringing this whole matter up in the forums. I was just hoping that it would provoke some interesting conversation between us all.

Really sorry about your GPS!! Come on down to the Top Score cache on Wednesday night at around 7:30pm and I'll let ya use my 'old backup' GPS until you get a new/used one.

-fractal

I'll chip in some(gotta help the fellow Gresham cacher). Maybe by the June 1 Champoeg trip we can all come up with enough for a least an etrex yellow.

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

quote:

waynepdx

12 caches in 12 hours.

geosigbuscard.jpg

I'll chip in some(gotta help the fellow Gresham cacher). Maybe by the June 1 Champoeg trip we can all come up with enough for a least an etrex yellow.

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

quote:

waynepdx

12 caches in 12 hours.

geosigbuscard.jpg

This might be a little mean, but explosis says that waynepdx reminds him of me, so i'm going to post it anyway. I figure if he at least looks like me, he'll accept the friendly jab. What if we got wayne a nice used etrex and put it up in the tree hugger cache for him to retrieve?

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

I could part with 10 bucks to help him replace his GPSr. Those things aren't cheap, and it'd be a bummer to have a mishap keep him out of the game. Someone start a paypal account, and I'll send it on in.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I would be willing to help out Wayne also. But as a wayside, if you read my log on TreeHugger, I was #2 there and I had a lot of trouble, darkness the tricky escaping "S"-hook etc. I logged it as a find, even left a piece of Stone Mountain in the cache container. I however did not sign the log icon_eek.gif So now you have another one to ponder Fractal, Should I edit my log as a note or do I get to keep it as a find. Let me know.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

[This message was edited by Trafcon on May 16, 2002 at 01:30 PM.]

I would be willing to help out Wayne also. But as a wayside, if you read my log on TreeHugger, I was #2 there and I had a lot of trouble, darkness the tricky escaping "S"-hook etc. I logged it as a find, even left a piece of Stone Mountain in the cache container. I however did not sign the log icon_eek.gif So now you have another one to ponder Fractal, Should I edit my log as a note or do I get to keep it as a find. Let me know.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

[This message was edited by Trafcon on May 16, 2002 at 01:30 PM.]

Denali,

It was dusk when I got there and I could just barely see the cache outline in the tree. I started my climb and it was dark by the time I started to unfasten the strap. Then I lost the stupid "S"-hook and it went downhill from there. It's really a hoot in the dark.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

I appreciate all the support for everyone wanting to chip in to get waynepdx a new gps fund.

My brother asked me to come help him on Friday do a job. So I will be doing that in exchange for the gps I borrowed from him about a week ago.

Once again, everyone's hearts are big and I really appreciate what you were willing to do for me.

If you still wish to donate to "buy waynepdx, Oregone, and Explosis a gas station so we can geocache 24/7" Please forward those donations to your nearest.....hahaha just kidding.

waynepdx

My Legend came with a lanyard that works very well when it falls out of my pocket. That one dollar item has saved my 200 dollar investment on more than one occasion. I know a little about dropping things from heights. My avatar doesn't show up very well but it is a pic of me looking down from the top of a telephone pole (my former profession). Like they say in Vegas, only gamble what you can afford to lose.