Confused on Send to GPS Send To Garmin

falconette51

I just got a Garmin Etrex 20x and I cannot use the Communicator Plugin because I have Firefox which does not support it and when I follow the instructions for IE it still will not work. I even took my laptop and Garmin to a computer repair/software updating guy and he couldn't get it to work, saying the protocol is old. Before I return the unit and say the heck with it all could someone tell me if the Send to Garmin button that is used with Garmin Express needs the Communicator Plugin also? I was able to download the Garmin Express OK. I didn't want to join the Premium Membership until I know, in case I have to end up returning the unit.

Garmin Communicator (with the “Send To My GPS” button) is obsolete. The recent OS and browser updates have finished it off.

“Send To Garmin” works pretty well. I ran it in Edge recently! First, you set up lists of caches. You can add specially selected individual caches to a list, or the results of entire searches. If you're getting Garmin Express to connect now, and it does updates and whatever, it should work for sending cache files once you're PM. Garmin Express is the new way to send files. It pops up and does its thing when you click “Send To Garmin” from the Lists page.

But you don't need all that, to send files. Once PM, save one GPX file from any cache page (GPX File button), or save Pocket Queries of entire towns, directly to the “Garmin/GPX” folder of the Etrex. It's really easy, and since that's the way I do it, the loss of Garmin Communicator didn't affect me. I don't rely on Garmin Express, either. It's cool and fancy, but having direct control over placing the files, that's much better. You don't have to wait for someone to fix some intermediary “helper” utility when it breaks.

Anyway, yes, you should be able to set everything up so that “Send To Garmin” works. If there's a problem, just ask. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Thank you so much! It was so easy when I followed your directions. I tried it both ways with the Garmin Express and direct downloading and they both worked. I have been thinking of Geocaching for a few years and now that we are retired with too much time on our hands we were really looking forward to starting. I was concerned it was going to have to go back to Cabelas and I'd have to take up knitting! Looking forward to trying to find our first cache this afternoon. Thanks again - and I love your quote about the war room!

Thank you so much! It was so easy when I followed your directions. I tried it both ways with the Garmin Express and direct downloading and they both worked. I have been thinking of Geocaching for a few years and now that we are retired with too much time on our hands we were really looking forward to starting. I was concerned it was going to have to go back to Cabelas and I'd have to take up knitting! Looking forward to trying to find our first cache this afternoon. Thanks again - and I love your quote about the war room!

:P

I'm glad it works!

1 hour ago, JT & the Bugster said:

Is it possible to talk directly to Kunarion? I am so confused how to get restarted on downloading

to my gps that the two of us are ready to call it quits. I have a Garmin  GPSmap 60Sx.

Since you are not a Premium member you can't download GPX files but only .LOC files which hold only basic information. It also seems that the GPSmap60Sx is not a "paperless GPS" so you won't get all the info on the unit either.  You can convert LOC files with software like EasyGPS/GSAK and others to GPX and also upload to the GPS.

On 8/1/2017 at 3:23 AM, on4bam said:
On 8/1/2017 at 1:57 AM, JT & the Bugster said:

Is it possible to talk directly to Kunarion? I am so confused how to get restarted on downloading

to my gps that the two of us are ready to call it quits. I have a Garmin  GPSmap 60Sx.

Since you are not a Premium member you can't download GPX files but only .LOC files which hold only basic information. It also seems that the GPSmap60Sx is not a "paperless GPS" so you won't get all the info on the unit either.  You can convert LOC files with software like EasyGPS/GSAK and others to GPX and also upload to the GPS.

Keep in mind that if you convert a .loc file to a .gpx files you're not going to get any additional data not already in the .loc file.  Converting a .loc file to a .gpx file will only convert the data such that it uses GPX elements without the Groundspeak extensions instead of .loc elements.  A "paperless GPS" understands the Groundspeak extensions (information specifically about geocaches)