Garmin Etrex 20X

Got a new GPS device, the Garmin Etrex 20x. It came loaded with a base map. Not much detail.

What maps do I need for geocaching?

Thank you for the help.

How far do you expect to travel? If it's only to a couple of states, you can save space by loading individual maps of states, plus the GPSr tends to load faster with less data to work on. You can load more as needed.

If you hike around in wild areas, TOPO maps are handy, where it's easier to visualize which side of a creek (or hill) some cache might be on. Another handy map type is street maps. And some areas have nice trail maps available. You can have more than one type of map loaded, they overlay. There are a lot of maps for free. You may need more guidance on selecting and installing maps, once you've decided what you'd like to get.

There's a program from Garmin called "Basecamp", and it's how you install some map files. I bought my GPSr with TOPO on it, and a routable street map SD card of the whole US. I took a little break from "installing maps". :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Got a new GPS device, the Garmin Etrex 20x. It came loaded with a base map. Not much detail.

What maps do I need for geocaching?

Thank you for the help.

How far do you expect to travel? If it's only to a couple of states, you can save space by loading individual maps of states, plus the GPSr tends to load faster with less data to work on. You can load more as needed.

If you hike around in wild areas, TOPO maps are handy, where it's easier to visualize which side of a creek (or hill) some cache might be on. Another handy map type is street maps. And some areas have nice trail maps available. You can have more than one type of map loaded, they overlay. There are a lot of maps for free. You may need more guidance on selecting and installing maps, once you've decided what you'd like to get.

There's a program from Garmin called "Basecamp", and it's how you install some map files. I bought my GPSr with TOPO on it, and a routable street map SD card of the whole US. I took a little break from "installing maps". :anicute:

Can I get maps from someplace other than Garmin?

Can I get maps from someplace other than Garmin?

Yes! Do a google search for "Free Maps For Garmin". One place is here: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Have a look around there, and be sure to check out the tutorials.

Thank you very much! I am new to all this and I appreciate it.

You will find a long list of map sources for your Garmin GPSr if you click on the 'Maps' link here.