creating a Wherigo or geotour with very little programming experience

Lmscarth

I am a teacher and I am taking a class in ocean literacy. For my final project I would like to create a wherein at my local beach which the local JHS students will use as part of their science class. It will involve going to various points along the beach and adjacent salt marsh area and either taking pics for a citizen scientist study, taking water samples using kits that will (hopefully) be available at the beach for people to borrow, and doing an erosion experiment. I have very little programming experience and I usually use a mac - although I do have access to a windows laptop. I have been trying to use the wherein builder but I can't open a saved cartridge, (error reading cartridge system.badimageformatexception...) and any time I try to add a zone I get errors - no map shows up. (there was an error using terraserver)

I have no idea what either of these mean - I have tried to look at earwig - but I don't see anywhere to get a login.

I looked at urwigo - but it looks too complicated for me.

Wondering if I should just do a geotour - but I like the format of Wherigo I think it will be easier for people/students who have never geocached. I also have no idea how to make a geotour!

I have pics and coordinates for all the sites I want them to visit and all activities worked out - I just need the tech piece!

Also I am hoping that others in my class will be able to create their own - it is an online class with people from Alaska, the great Lakes, Florida, Virginia etc... My thought is that if we create a series of these all over the country we could have a real impact on ocean literacy in The US which is so important to really understanding climate change and our impact on it.

Please help - this assignment is due in a few days!

Well I realize this is probably too late but if you want an easy build for wherigos this will be your best bet: http://Wherigo.rangerfox.com/default.aspx

This program requires little knowledge of programming and is quite easy to use. The more fully functional builders like earwig and urwigo have a bit of a learning curve. It took me several months to really get familiar with those programs. I would be interested to see how you integrate science into the Wherigo concept.