Best advice?

kingstons4

I'm pretty new to geocaching and sometimes it feels like there is a lot to learn. I've found 5 not found 2 but intend to look for more nearby in my small city. What is your best piece of advice or one really important thing new cachers need to know?

Thanks for your help!

• Upvote 1

My best advice is probably the following, which I've posted before:

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums, and check out some geocaching videos on YouTube.

• Upvote 4

For sure, what NiraD stated here.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Don't obsess with trying to get your gpsr or phone to "zero" out. Get close to the spot your device points to (something like 30 feet away), take your eyes from it, and start screening the area. Think about how you might hide the cache. Notice the listed size and look for places where the cache could actually be hidden. There are times when a cache is camouflaged so well that it can be staring you right in the face. These are usually listed at a higher difficulty.

Good luck!

Edited by Mudfrog

I'd keep off these forums as most of the people on here don't actually go geocaching, they just sit around moaning about guidelines and maintenance.

Then this thread is a rarity, huh. :D

Ten out of eleven (or "most" ...) here have cached within the month.

Indeed, but one should never let facts get in the way of a good story <_<

• Upvote 1

So true about the forums here! Don't worry about it. Every cacher I have met in person is nice. Even ones I have had difficulty with online or in this forum when I meet them it is all good.

Best advice I got early on might not apply to you because it don't sound like you have many caches near you but don't burn out the area you live. I would have went and found all the ones near home. I got lucky and saved those and found ones further away while at work. I saved the closer ones to have fun when I was near home. And to work on a streak of finding one everyday. That might not be possible for you but saving some near home could also be cool because if you find them all right away it might be hard to have fun in the game for a long time.

• Upvote 1
On 7/10/2017 at 2:01 PM, niraD said:

Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif.

ROTFLMAO! :lol:

I'm sorry.  I'm admittedly a noob myself (with only 8 finds at this writing), but I've been searching through dozens (hundreds?) of caches in my area, and of those <= 1.5 out of 5 (the only ones I can get to--I'm disabled with a cane), I haven't found any (save one, and that was... underwhelming) larger than a pill bottle.

I'm planning a celebration for when I find something containing more than a slip of paper requiring a jewelers loop to read/sign, but I'm not holding my breath...  :rolleyes:

Before anyone jumps on this--yes, I know it's about the hunt--not the find.  My point is, IME, beginning caches <> beginning terrains; on the contrary, there seems to be a disconnect.  YMMV.

Edited by RufusAllec
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RufusAllec said:

I'm sorry.  I'm admittedly a noob myself (with only 8 finds at this writing), but I've been searching through dozens (hundreds?) of caches in my area, and of those <= 1.5 out of 5 (the only ones I can get to--I'm disabled with a cane), I haven't found any (save one, and that was... underwhelming) larger than a pill bottle.

I'm planning a celebration for when I find something containing more than a slip of paper requiring a jewelers loop to read/sign, but I'm not holding my breath...  :rolleyes:

Before anyone jumps on this--yes, I know it's about the hunt--not the find.  My point is, IME, beginning caches <> beginning terrains; on the contrary, there seems to be a disconnect.  YMMV.

Are you confusing difficulty and terrain ratings?  It is the high terrain ratings that will present a problem accessing when using a cane.  The difficulty rating has nothing to do with access to the cache.

I'm quite new too but my advice would be to enjoy the hunt, feel comfortable to log a DNF, go back to your DNF and try again another day with fresh eyes, and (most importantly) make sure you know what to do with trackables if you find one. Oh, and if there is ever an event in your area, GO! It is the best way to meet people, learn from them and expand your geocaching knowledge.

• Upvote 2
On 11/07/2017 at 2:00 AM, The Magna Defender said:

I'd keep off these forums as most of the people on here don't actually go geocaching, they just sit around moaning about guidelines and maintenance.

Glad you said 'most', as a finder of 32 of your caches :)

On 7/10/2017 at 6:00 PM, The Magna Defender said:

I would dispute that statement, but the burden of proof is on you.

• Upvote 1

Don't bushwhack until you're absolutely sure no trail will take you closer by curving around, etc.  I've gotten into a lot of poison ivy, prickers, and like that by bushwhacking way before I needed, too.  Most geocaches aren't really that far off the trail--some are, but most aren't.  Read previous logs for the caches and see what folks say.  A direct route is often not the best route.

• Upvote 2
On 7/21/2017 at 0:45 PM, GeoTrekker26 said:
On 7/21/2017 at 11:22 AM, RufusAllec said:

Are you confusing difficulty and terrain ratings?  It is the high terrain ratings that will present a problem accessing when using a cane.  The difficulty rating has nothing to do with access to the cache.

Yes.  I once search for a cache that had a 4D/1T rating.   I was on an old tank.  The 1T rating indicated that it was accessible by someone in a wheel chair, significantly limiting the possible hide spots, but I still DNFd it after search for 15-20 minutes.  

To me, the 1.5 limitation for terrain for basic members doesn't make a lot of sense.  I can understand that a 1.5D rating limitation would tend to reduce frustration by someone just starting, but the 1.5T rating for the most part limits caches to ones placed very close to a road, in parking lots and urban areas. I doesn't really expose new geocachers to the possible locations where one might find a cache. It would seem to me that taking a new geocacher on  a 1/2 mile hike through the forest to an ammo can under a pile of sticks would be preferable than just taking them to parking lots and places only 100' or less from a parking spot.

• Upvote 2

My best/most important piece of advice? I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned this yet but here goes:

STAY SAFE! Use your common sense when caching. Use protective/safety gear (e.g. gloves, garters, harnesses/ropes, tweezers, poles) when they're called for. Never stick your fingers or hands anywhere you can't see. Getting home safely and in one piece is far more important than finding any cache or signing any log. If an area doesn't feel safe to go into or if something doesn't seem right when you're caching then get out of there. Caching is generally quite safe but like any outdoor activity there's always some associated risk. If you're going to get a cache in a remote area always carry the supplies you might need and always let someone know where you're going and when to expect you back. If you're getting a cache in a dark alley, maybe take a friend with you and get the cache during the day rather than at night.

Most caches will have a good description of what to expect in the area and what safety gear will be needed so make sure you read the description carefully and go prepared.

As I said, you are more important than any cache. Caches can be revisited and they can always be replaced. You can't be replaced so always take care of yourself!

• Upvote 1

Yep, it's a steep learning curve, but I think finding out the official guidelines , local customs and what works best for you is half the fun. Take it easy, there's no rush, geocaching isn't a competition , or more  accurately, you don't have to participate in any competitive aspects other cachers choose to incorporate into their game, f'rinstance the  first to find. stampede . There are dozens of ways to enjoy caching, every cacher thinks their way is the best so take all advice with a pinch of salt (obviously everyone else is wrong : MY way is best ... ) and make your own mind up.

Try every type of cache available  to you, multis, earthcaches , puzzles , urban stealth requiring micros (ugh), big boxes at the end of long walks, tree climbs,  whatever. You will soon find out what makes you a happy cacher and what you should ignore.

If you are really stuck with a particular cache, click on the owner's name on the cache page, check their profile, and see if they have been active recently: if so, contact them and ask for help, it may or may not come, but it's worth trying.

Write thoughtful logs,  remembering that the cache you found was set by someone who (hopefully) made an effort to place a good container in an interesting place for you to find. Getting your name established as a decent cacher who communicates politely and plays nicely with others should make you instant friends with plenty to chat about if you get to go to a local event.

Don't be in too much of a rush to set a cache yourself, the learning curve there is even steeper.

And finally, very practical advice : if you are heading off the beaten track, or in an unfamiliar place, or caching near dusk, mark your car parking spot (or the 'bus stop or train halt or whatever place you need to get back to) as a waypoint immediately you get your feet on the ground .Few things are more embarassing than  finding a cache, feeling triumphant and like a proper cacher, then realizing that wandering in circles around the cache site has left you befuddled as to which way the car is ... Please don't ask how I know this ...

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, hal-an-tow said:

And finally, very practical advice : if you are heading off the beaten track, or in an unfamiliar place, or caching near dusk, mark your car parking spot (or the 'bus stop or train halt or whatever place you need to get back to) as a waypoint immediately you get your feet on the ground .Few things are more embarassing than  finding a cache, feeling triumphant and like a proper cacher, then realizing that wandering in circles around the cache site has left you befuddled as to which way the car is ... Please don't ask how I know this ...

This is good advice in a foreign city where, in our case, a language other English is spoken. i.e. China, Russia, Vietnam, New Zealand. OK, the last one was a bit of a dig at our cousins across the dtch.:D.