New to Geocoins

Smithwinkle

Hi and thank you for letting me post to the forum.

I am new to Geocoins and have just received my 50 Finds coin from Pulse 72. I have activated it, but don't want to release it because I love it - can I keep it?

Thank you

Smithwinkle

The other 2/3rds started with a question like that...

- Now she has over 200 that she simply looks at once in a while. :laughing:

Welcome to the hobby.

As others have said, it yours to do with what you want. You will probably find you will wind up with more tham one coin to your name... just ask here :lol:

You may want to mark special caches or adventures by "visiting" your coin when you log a cache. I use a coin for special or favorite caches that I would bring folks back to when I log it. Visiting a coin when you are logging a cache adds the location to the coins travels so you can go to your coin page and see where you have been or your special caches and such. It is only limited to your imagination. Welcome to Geocoins! B)

Edited by JoenGPS
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, Smithwinkle said:

Hi and thank you for letting me post to the forum.

I am new to Geocoins and have just received my 50 Finds coin from Pulse 72. I have activated it, but don't want to release it because I love it - can I keep it?

Thank you

Smithwinkle

Sorry but what is a "50 finds coin"

I have had a coin made to commemorate the sad departure of one of our Chihuahuas but am afraid that if I place it in one of my new caches, it will be stolen by some unscrupulous coin collecting geocacher....I am fairly new to geocaching and have read on the forum that many go missing.......what are your thoughts

Regards

1 hour ago, josandgeo said:

I have had a coin made to commemorate the sad departure of one of our Chihuahuas but am afraid that if I place it in one of my new caches, it will be stolen by some unscrupulous coin collecting geocacher....I am fairly new to geocaching and have read on the forum that many go missing.......what are your thoughts

Regards

If you place a Trackable item in the wilds, it is very likely that you will never get it back.  Also, finders tend to be excited to take the item, but responsible with the item or respectful to the owner, not so much.  There may be a very rare cool log with photos and stories.

You may instead put the tracking number with plenty info, into a cache as a "coin proxy", a stunt double, so you won't mind if it gets lost.  Or use the tracking number on a name badge or backpack tag or patch, so you can "Visit" it into caches and it can be discovered at Events.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 7/8/2017 at 1:25 PM, TriciaG said:

Yes, you can keep it. You can show it off at events, or stick it on a shelf, or... it's yours; do what you want with it. :)

I have a coin I keep at home, but I "Visit" it to every cache my husband and I find together.

You leave your coin at home?   So your coin doesn't really "visit" all the caches you find does it?   You visit them, but the coin doesn't, is that how this is supposed to work?

16 minutes ago, Matt98030 said:

You visit them, but the coin doesn't, is that how this is supposed to work?

Not really, but some geocachers use a trackable to keep full mileage of all the caches they Found, with Visit logs. Since someone is the owner of a given trackable and all the logs will be in the trackable listing... and the geocacher did Found the caches, all is perfectly "legal", don't you agree? :)

12 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Not really, but some geocachers use a trackable to keep full mileage of all the caches they Found, with Visit logs. Since someone is the owner of a given trackable and all the logs will be in the trackable listing... and the geocacher did Found the caches, all is perfectly "legal", don't you agree? :)

Not really...   To me "visit" means "visit"...   but whatever....   

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Matt98030 said:

Not really...   To me "visit" means "visit"...   but whatever....   

:D 

Sorry. I notice you said you are new to geocoins, so I guess some logs can make a fuss at the beginning.

Think of it this way.

A trackable belongs to somebody, it has no life or will of its own.

Drop, Retrieve, Discover and Grab are "actions" that you can perform with a trackable... and all generate a notification to the owner of both the trackable and the cache where this trackable is or was.

Visit is an action that is mostly related with the person... and do not generate any notification to others than the owner. With a reason.

Who am I to order a trackable owner to do anything different than his will, as long it doesn't abuse the system?

Edited by RuideAlmeida
10 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

:D 

Think of it this way.

A trackable belongs to somebody, it has no life or will of its own.

Drop, Retrieve and Grab are "actions" that you can perform with a trackable... and all generate a notification to the owner of both the trackable and the cache where this trackable is or was.

Visit is an action that are mostly related with the person... and do not generate any notification to others than the owner. With a reason.

Who am I to order a trackable owner to do anything different than their will, as long it doesn't abuse the system?

but the "Visits" pollute the log and make it hard to see who has actually had the trackable and where its really been.   If people are visiting a trackable that never leaves home then the journey map for that trackable is fake, and the trackable really never visited any locations except for dropped lo entries.    I launched a trackable and a cacher picked it up and carried it around for several months visiting caches, there were 28 pages of logs but the trackable had only been touched by about 6 cachers..   I suspect that the cacher just left the trackable at home or in the car, similar to what the OP in this thread had done.

it might be ok to do this with a trackable that you own, since no one else will ever see the trackable or care about its log..

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Matt98030 said:

it might be ok to do this with a trackable that you own, since no one else will ever see the trackable or care about its log..

I totally agree, so I gave you that example. I bet that in almost all the others cases, the people really takes the trackable to the GZ.

I can imagine several occasions where a given container is not big enough for a given trackable, so the geocacher opts for a Visit log... until reaching a suitable container to Drop the trackable. 

1 hour ago, Matt98030 said:

but the "Visits" pollute the log and make it hard to see who has actually had the trackable and where its really been.   If people are visiting a trackable that never leaves home then the journey map for that trackable is fake, and the trackable really never visited any locations except for dropped lo entries.    I launched a trackable and a cacher picked it up and carried it around for several months visiting caches, there were 28 pages of logs but the trackable had only been touched by about 6 cachers..   I suspect that the cacher just left the trackable at home or in the car, similar to what the OP in this thread had done.

I've been known to put 'Do not visit to caches' on the TB page.  Then delete 'visited' logs.

Went to an event recently.  Thirty cachers attended.  393 trackables attended!  Including one cacher who has ten Jeep TBs.  I very much doubt that they visited the event.  And most of these cachers visit all the TBs to every cache they visit.  I will admit to visiting three.  One for my first find of the day.  One for where the Dolphinmobile is nearby.  And one that I visit to every cache I find.  Logging every TB you have (even if it does not accompany you) completely mucks up the 'past trackables' page.  I also doubt that the cacher who visits over fifty trackables to every cache found ever actually carries them to the cache.

• Upvote 2

The coin I was referring to is one that we don't "Drop" into caches or "Retrieve" from caches. It stays in our possession. I use the "visit" log for it on caches that my husband and I find together. He doesn't have a separate Geocaching account. So I know because of the "visits" on the trackable, that out of my 635 cache finds, he has been present at 589 of them.

I suppose I could keep the coin in my back pocket when I go caching with my husband, but that's a technicality. When I log a "visit" for other people's trackables to caches, I have them physically with me at those caches.

Edited by TriciaG
4 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I also doubt that the cacher who visits over fifty trackables to every cache found ever actually carries them to the cache.

Yep.  We've seen first-hand a couple dozen who log other's property in bulk.   Only a handful  had them with them (at events), most just click that action box I guess...