Newbie cachers hiding caches.

It was the cache title that gave it away for me. I didn't see a match to the satellite image, but the CO said the coords were right. I went there anyway, since I'm unfamiliar with the town, but the night before I did some research and found what I thought could be the correct spot many miles away. After hitting a No Trespassing sign 500 ft. from the posted coords, we left. A little later I decided to see if I could find the "real spot", but we had no satellites or coords, so it was just by memory. on VERY bad dirt roads, and we happened to find it! I searched and searched and came up with nothing. Just before we left my husband retraced my steps and found that micro. It was an adventure, and we got lucky.

I am grateful that the CO seems sincere about fixing bad coords!

• Upvote 1

A few years ago we found a cache in Cambodia that was 25km from the listed co-ords!  We were on a tour and thought we would be going near this particular cache.  As we headed down the road and were nearing the cache the bus we were traveling in turned off and headed in the opposite direction, so we dismissed the possibility of that particular find.  

On arrival at our destination (ruins of former summer palace in the highlands) and alighting from the bus, we noticed three very unusual chimney structures in the distance.  They were the same as in a picture on the cache page we had recently dismissed.  We checked with our tour guide as to whether there were any others of this design and we were told they were unique.

Cache page was again accessed and details checked - including hint.  After a short search and a bit of geo-nouse, the cache was found!!

Wow . . . . . .First to Find (FTF) in what for us was a foreign country and 25km from listed co-ords, so we were very chuffed.  CO had indicated on the cache page that they "weren't sure the co-ords were accurate" - what an understatement!  CO was advised of the correct co-ords.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:00 PM, Phetlern said:

A few years ago we found a cache in Cambodia that was 25km from the listed co-ords!  We were on a tour and thought we would be going near this particular cache.  As we headed down the road and were nearing the cache the bus we were traveling in turned off and headed in the opposite direction, so we dismissed the possibility of that particular find.  

On arrival at our destination (ruins of former summer palace in the highlands) and alighting from the bus, we noticed three very unusual chimney structures in the distance.  They were the same as in a picture on the cache page we had recently dismissed.  We checked with our tour guide as to whether there were any others of this design and we were told they were unique.

Cache page was again accessed and details checked - including hint.  After a short search and a bit of geo-nouse, the cache was found!!

Wow . . . . . .First to Find (FTF) in what for us was a foreign country and 25km from listed co-ords, so we were very chuffed.  CO had indicated on the cache page that they "weren't sure the co-ords were accurate" - what an understatement!  CO was advised of the correct co-ords.

The cache container was not there icon_smile_sad.gif - obviously not the best spot for a cache placement.

So, you didn't find a cache and didn't sign a log.  How's that a find again?

2 hours ago, hzoi said:

So, you didn't find a cache and didn't sign a log.  How's that a find again?

You didn't include the next sentence in their log:  "We decided to place a Throwdown (temporary cache) in the same location, but suspect it will have been muggled within weeks if not days."  I'm guessing they signed the throwdown.   :ph34r:

• Upvote 1
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:17 AM, ChileHead said:

I see cachers with thousands of finds hiding poor caches such as those in parking lots, guard rails, or road side.

Experience doesn't mean they will always hide good caches.

I would call them poor as they are great for newbies. I just would call them lame. Except when it is to hide a puzzle. I hate solving a difficult puzzle and hide is almost harder then the puzzle.

I believe I bring this up everything it has been brought up.

I started in May of 2006, and adopted a few caches maybe a month after to have practice owning some. Most are still active. Then I placed one in SF 2 months after I started with between 50 and 75 finds. That cache is still active with over 703 finds on it. So it all depends on if you read the guidelines and do a little practice then you should be fine. It's just you have to imagine is this going to be able to do for a long time.

Yes I have an example(s) A few cachers in our area got excited about caching and put of lots of hides, then out of the blue they up and quit. Who cleans up the mess?