Useless "Needs maintenance"log

R.Guszty

I found a cache, and it's logbook was full. I logged a Found it log, and I want to write a "Needs maintenance" log, but I can't. I had to write another type of log, and website generated another "Needs maintenance" log, but this log is my own language. What a useless feature is? It's double, or triple work: I have to write a "Write note" log, and delete it, and edit a generated "Needs maintenance" log, previously I just wrote one Need maintenance log.

• Upvote 1

I found a cache, and it's logbook was full. I logged a Found it log, and I want to write a "Needs maintenance" log, but I can't. I had to write another type of log, and website generated another "Needs maintenance" log, but this log is my own language. What a useless feature is? It's double, or triple work: I have to write a "Write note" log, and delete it, and edit a generated "Needs maintenance" log, previously I just wrote one Need maintenance log.

I had to do an NM yesterday, and just "opted out" to save the extra steps. :anicute:

You could have just replaced the full logbook instead of slapping on a NM and making the CO go out of their way to replace a strip of paper....

Adding an extra strip is a good temporary measure, but the CO will still need to go out and replace the logbook. It isn't the job of finders to replace the logbook for a CO.

Maintenance of caches is something the CO agreed to do when they submitted the listing. Performing maintenance shouldn't be seen as "going out of their way".

Getting back on topic: You don't need to enter an additional "Write note" to create an NM log. You can do it as part of logging your "Found it". I agree that the new process isn't very efficient or useful for COs, but we have to play the cards we're dealt.

• Upvote 3

Next time, just write your "Found it" log, include details on what's wrong, then click the "Report a problem" area above the "submit" button before you submit your log. You'll have to click one extra button to specify what the problem is, and that's it -- you only have to write one log.

If you neglect to click the "report a problem" bit, as you did here, then yes, you'll need to submit another log.

Getting back on topic: You don't need to enter an additional "Write note" to create an NM log. You can do it as part of logging your "Found it". I agree that the new process isn't very efficient or useful for COs, but we have to play the cards we're dealt.

There's the problem.

It used to be far more intuitive, efficient and easier to manage. Groundspeak simply isn't listening or too many people just don't care that the site is nowhere as easy to use as it used to be.

When it comes to the website functionality, 'New' and 'Improved' seem to be mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 1

Whatever change has been made to the logging system at the website leaves my unable to create a log to show that a cache needs maintenance or archiving. In case it matters, this is for a cache that I have found before so I know where it is and what it is supposed to look like. If that disqualifies me from reporting that then I would be curious as to why that would be the case. I did notice that there is a relatively new link for "reporting a problem" but selecting the choices there still does not result in a post of the type I wish to place.

Whatever change has been made to the logging system at the website leaves my unable to create a log to show that a cache needs maintenance or archiving. In case it matters, this is for a cache that I have found before so I know where it is and what it is supposed to look like.

:D

Similar...

We had a NM log a couple years ago from a new cacher who went with an "experienced cacher" that found it earlier and couldn't find it now.

Apparently neither actually loaded the coordinates, or one of 'em should have noticed that it was moved 300' two years after their "experienced cacher" found it. :laughing:

There's the problem.

It used to be far more intuitive, efficient and easier to manage. Groundspeak simply isn't listening or too many people just don't care that the site is nowhere as easy to use as it used to be.

When it comes to the website functionality, 'New' and 'Improved' seem to be mutually exclusive.

Yes. Modern computer technology. Take away the intuitive/obvious. Add several more pages to go through. Shrink the fonts. Grey instead of black. I see this in many programs I deal with.

Nope. Neither "new" nor "improved" is valid.