Is a Sport Team Theme ok?

Andria&Chris

Hello! We are looking to hide our first Cache. I took the quiz to make sure I knew what was ok and not ok (I want to be a good player!). While taking it, it said that hiding a cache that supports a business (for profit and non-profit) is not allowed. This made me think, the cache I have been making has a football team theme (Denver Broncos to be exact). We planned on naming it something catchy that has to do with the team (like the Orange Crush or something). It's an ammo can cache. The SWAG I put in it are all really cool educational items that are the teams colors (but not related to the team in any way). Then I used Denver Broncos duct tape to decorate the outside of the can. Long story short, is this ok? :unsure:

Hello! We are looking to hide our first Cache. I took the quiz to make sure I knew what was ok and not ok (I want to be a good player!). While taking it, it said that hiding a cache that supports a business (for profit and non-profit) is not allowed. This made me think, the cache I have been making has a football team theme (Denver Broncos to be exact). We planned on naming it something catchy that has to do with the team (like the Orange Crush or something). It's an ammo can cache. The SWAG I put in it are all really cool educational items that are the teams colors (but not related to the team in any way). Then I used Denver Broncos duct tape to decorate the outside of the can. Long story short, is this ok? :unsure:

Usually caches like this are OK, under the "pop culture" loophole. I wouldn't use the cache page to over-promote any one team or sport or person, but everything you mentioned should be allowed. Disclaimer: my opinion is not worth anything; it's what your reviewer says that matters.

The best bet is to put the cache page together how you want it and submit the cache for publication.

Your cache will be put into a publication queue and brought to the attention of your local volunteer reviewer.

If your local volunteer reviewer thinks there are any areas where the cache doesn't meet the current guidelines they will explain what and why and usually will also offer suggestions on how to bring the cache in-line with the guidelines so that it can be published.

If that happens the reviewer will also temporarily disable the cache until you've made any changes, temporarily removing it from the publication queue, and won't look at your cache again until you put it back in the publication queue by re-submitting it for publication*

*People often forget to put their cache back into the publication queue after making changes and then wonder why their cache remains unpublished days or weeks later. Volunteer reviewers regularly check the publication queue for their area - if your cache isn't in the queue they won't know to look at it :anibad:

Edited by Team Microdot

The rule is there to prohibit free advertising. If your cache was dedicated to Billy Bob's discount auto parts, and was hidden in the parking lot in front of Billy Bob's, it would most likely violate the guideline on commercial promotion. But a "Go Broncos!" cache should be OK.

As above, best way to find out is to put the cache out there, submit it for review, and see what your reviewer says, but I think it'd be OK.

This reviewer sees no problem. Certainly no issue with NFL swag or colors on the cache itself. Your local reviewer can assist as far how much Bronco excitement can be on the cache page itself.

I think you might have a problem with Orange Crush as a title, because it's also the name of line of soda... so in spite of your intent, it ends up being "name of product" as cache title. I expect there are other titles you can use.

• Upvote 1