Placing a cache...

Perrin

Well I'm thinking of ideas for making my first cache. No shortage of those, but I do have a question on the placing of one.

Do most of you just go out find a good spot and place the cache there, or do you take the time to find out who might own the land you are hiding the cache on?

If you take the time to do that, do you ask permission before leaving the cache?

What is the easiest way of finding out who owns/maintains the land before you hide a cache?

thanks for you input in advance. I'm gonna post this in a couple other places on the forums just in case everyone doesn't check out the NW forum.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

quote:
Do most of you just go out find a good spot and place the cache there, or do you take the time to find out who might own the land you are hiding the cache on?

Since I have found SO many beautiful parks I never knew about before because of geocaching, I feel I want to further THAT part of what is good about this hobby! icon_smile.gif

I plan on finding and targeting beautiful places you may not otherwise know about for my caches.

Soooo, for what it's worth, the best choice of a cache location in my opinion is one that is already public, and goes in the catagory of "This place is SO cool, the cache there is almost besides the point! Go see it!"

If you can find such a place on private property, and the owner is amicable to the idea of folks coming by, giving full permission, then go for it.

Go for as many too-cool "Wow! Didn't know THIS was here!" places to cache as you can! We need 'em!! icon_smile.gif

As far as finding who owns land, go for either portlandmaps.com or the local courthouse where they have tax records.

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

I'm thinking of hiding my first cache in an area that I believe to be owned by either the state or Warehouser. The only way I can find out for sure is to go to the county assessor. Well, this is in King county so I'm not real keen on going to Seattle to find out. I think I'll ask the locals that frequent the trail.

Here's a site where you can find out any close caches to the place you are looking. here

Maybe ask a fellow hider if they had to have permission?

OG

Prophetically Challenged

Ok, some good suggestions so far. I guess I'll clarify why I was asking the question in the first place.

There are a couple areas nearby where I live that are pretty interesting, but they aren't blatantly posted as public use land. They also don't have any No Trespassing signs/notices that I am aware of. Obviously I'm not sure who or if there is an owner, which is why I asked about ways to find out about them.

Since I'm not sure, should I make an effort to find out before placing a cache? There are no structures or homes or anything of that nature on these properties.

The area I'm looking at is a "horse trail", but a trail nonetheless, so I'm pretty sure whoever owns the land doesn't really care who uses it.

Go ahead and submit it, if it's accepted, great. If not, do some more research.

If it flys check the logs to see if people enjoyed going there.

OG

Prophetically Challenged

It is up to the cache owner to check the status of the land where she/he is placing the cache. So even if it is accepted by the moderators, it doesn't mean that the cache is cool.

I own an out-of-the-way piece of land that I'd be upset to discover had a geocache placed on without being asked. Do your homework. If you can't be bothered to get info on where you are placing, then find someplace else that you know is public.

Guidelines are just that. They are guidelines. The only rule here is common sense. Each of us, hider and seeker are obliged to follow that rule. There are a few caches I have turned tail on because they did not meet that rule for me. There is no real way to enforce other rules in this enviornment (remote, web based). Niether do you want to put this site under those sorts of more legal obligations. Guidelines are the foundation of Geocaching, but common sense is our obligation. Just because a cache is hidden on private property is no assurance to me that I am relieved of any legal obligation. I usually will not go there, unless there is obvious public use.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

Very well put, EraSeek, while hunting for this one the first time, we ran into NO TRESPASSING signs. We obeyed them but afterward I spoke to a local that told me that the new NO Trespass signs were posted because someone had been riding their horse aimlessly through the forest and had got tangled up in some old barbwire, causing injuries to the horse. Of course the guy sued the property owner for not keeping up the old fence, prompting the owner to post the signs.

After being reassured that the property owners really didn't want to keep their treasure to themselves, I walked by the signs to a real beauty of a cache!

OG

Prophetically Challenged

quote:
Originally posted by Boojum:

It is up to the cache owner to check the status of the land where she/he is placing the cache. So even if it is accepted by the moderators, it doesn't mean that the cache is cool.

I own an out-of-the-way piece of land that I'd be upset to discover had a geocache placed on without being asked. Do your homework. If you can't be bothered to get info on where you are placing, then find someplace else that you know is public.

Ok, I kinda figured some one would eventually post something to this affect. I'll do a little to a lot of digging and see what I can find out before I go tramping around out there.

thanks all