Collection = Ownership

Scook

It appears that if someone has a Travel Bug in the possession that they can simply log a "Move to Collection" and they take possession of a Travel Bug owned by someone.

Instead of logging a Travel Bug as being dropped in a cache, which is what they posted that they did, they moved it to their collection.

Now, I cannot log my own Travel Bug to place it in the cache where it was dropped.

Will it remain the possession of the last holder?

I cannot grab it from them even though I am obviously the owner and, of course, know the Tracking Number.

They have not answered an email requesting my Travel Bug back.

I DID NOT GIVE IT TO THEM. They retrieved it from a cache and only have a few finds so they made a mistake.

I just want my Travel Bug to show its actual location.

Edited by Scook

It appears that if someone has a Travel Bug in the possession that they can simply log a "Move to Collection" and they take possession of a Travel Bug owned by someone.

Instead of logging a Travel Bug as being dropped in a cache, which is what they posted that they did, they moved it to their collection.

Now, I cannot log my own Travel Bug to place it in the cache where it was dropped.

Will it remain the possession of the last holder?

I cannot grab it from them even though I am obviously the owner and, of course, know the Tracking Number.

They have not answered an email requesting my Travel Bug back.

I DID NOT GIVE IT TO THEM. They retrieved it from a cache and only have a few finds so they made a mistake.

I just want my Travel Bug to show its actual location.

As far as I'm aware moving a trackable to your collection is only able to be done by the trackable owner. It is not supposed to be allowed to happen for anyone else. I would suggest contacting HQ about this.

Could you provide some info on which of your trackables you're referring to?

Edited by Sherminator18

Any person can move a trackable into their collection, IF the owner sets that trackable to be "collectible".

Presumably, you did. And then released it.

Someone picked it up, and finding it to be "collectible", they collected it.

That status is set on the trackable edit page. Generally, owners make trackables collectible so they can move them into their OWN collections.

I don't know if you can now change that or nor. You might try it. Alter the setting from collectible to not collectible, it's a check box.

Once you've done that, you can mark it missing, which will move it virtually to an Unknown Location.

Presumably it's in the hands of the geocachers who picked it up, so all of this moot. The physical thing is outside your control

Any person can move a trackable into their collection, IF the owner sets that trackable to be "collectible".

That status is set on the trackable edit page. Generally, owners make trackables collectible so they can move them into their OWN collections.

I don't know if you can now change that or nor. You might try it. Alter the setting from collectible to not collectible, it's a check box.

Once you've done that, you can mark it missing, which will move it virtually to an Unknown Location.

Presumably it's in the hands of the geocachers who picked it up, so all of this moot. The physical thing is outside your control

WOW! I just tried it with one of my trackables and I was able to move it to the collection of my boyfriends account. This is absolutely insane in my opinion. Why would this ever be an option? And you can't "Grab" it back from them once it is in the other accounts collection.

Here is what you can do though. I just tried it. Uncheck the box that says "Make this trackable collectible" on the edit trackable page and then you can grab it back from the person and drop it in the correct cache if you'd like. It worked with my own trackable that I just tried.

It seems to be that the person who put the OPs trackable in their collection did it on accident. They only have 17 finds and I assume don't really know much about trackables.

Thanks for the help.

Clearly, this is a bug in the system.

Of course, now I have to contact the cache owner because the person who didn't know how to drop a Travel Bug also put the Travel Bug number in their cache log. Best I can do now is to get the cache owner to encrypt that log. I don't want the log deleted just edited.

Thanks for the help.

No, not a bug, but I agree that it isn't very nice of Groundspeak to allow this.

In the Help Center section on Trackable Collections it does say, "If you set a trackable status as collectible, another geocacher can grab it and move it into their own Collection. If you want the trackable to move, set the status to non-collectible".

This is one of the many reason it pays folks to read Geocaching 101 and the Help Center before entering the hobby. :)

Edited by cerberus1

Thanks for the help.

Of course, now I have to contact the cache owner because the person who didn't know how to drop a Travel Bug also put the Travel Bug number in their cache log. Best I can do now is to get the cache owner to encrypt that log. I don't want the log deleted just edited.

Best of luck to you